The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
What used to be called mistress now days is called a girlfriend so we are left with a puzzle, is there such a thing as a mistress these days? Does it only apply to married people? Yes, definitely a puzzle.
Yes there are mistresses today. A mistress is a women whose only income is supplied by a man and whose job it is to please a man. These women do not have wealth of their own but are "kept" by the man. In essence they are paid to play. There is a difference between a mistress and a women of another sort in that there is a relationship between the man and his mistress etc. You get the picture. A girlfriend usually has her own life and unless independantly wealthy has a job and pays for her own apartment, clothes etc. or if she is in a "live in" situation usually details of who covers rent etc are worked out. A women with no job and no wealth who lives with her male companion is usually referred to as a mistress or in polite terms may also be called companion or live-in companion , but again companions usally have a job or are financially independant in most cases. It's a slippery slope once you are a woman of 30 or older with no job, no money of one's own and not married.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Serene Highness

^actually no.
A mistress is a woman (single or married) in a sexual relationship with a married man.
A girlfriend is a single woman in a romantic/sexual relationship with a single man.

Charlene is Albert's girlfriend.
She is also a kept woman but if all kept women where lessened to the mistress status, that would upset quite a lot of married women .

I agree with your general point that kept women, especially when they have no official status, are unlikely to arouse much respect.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, given that I am in no mood for semantics, we could just stop all of this ridiculous name calling. But since there's not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening, some of you are missing a title. Sugar daddy...

Not my personal opinion, but let's be thorough.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
^actually no.
A mistress is a woman (single or married) in a sexual relationship with a married man.
A girlfriend is a single woman in a romantic/sexual relationship with a single man.

Charlene is Albert's girlfriend.
She is also a kept woman but if all kept women where lessened to the mistress status, that would upset quite a lot of married women .

I agree with your general point that kept women, especially when they have no official status, are unlikely to arouse much respect.
Nope, the guy doesn't have to be married. I know of several divorced men who keep mistresses. These are not girlfriends. Age has a lot to do with the boyfriend/girlfriend image as does money. Once you hit 30 and are in a long-term relationship but aren't married you are a companion. Charlene is too old for girlfriend and most importantly she has no wealth of her own and no job - she is a mistress of a much older man. If they stay together for another couple of years she will become his companion which sounds nicer than mistress. The main difference between girlfriend and mistress has to do with the money. No wealth of ones own and no job means you are kept which is a polite way of saying mistress. Mistresses over the centuries sometimes had more status than the wife. At any rate Charlene is by her own discription, a kept woman and we should probably move on to another subject.

I didn't see your post until after I had posted the above, but Empress I like the term sugar daddy which also sounds better.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
Nope, the guy doesn't have to be married. I know of several divorced men who keep mistresses.
Then these women are lovers.

Look up the meaning of the terms you use in a dictionary. You can't make up your own definitions otherwise we can't understand each other, especially in a international forum.

Edit: I did the search for you, from Cambridge dictionaries online.
Quote:
lover
the person with whom you are having a sexual relationship, but are not married to

mistress

a woman who is having a sexual relationship with a married man

girlfriend
the close female friend of a man, with whom he has a romantic or sexual relationship

companion
a person you spend a lot of time with either because you are friends or because you are travelling together
Charlene is his girlfriend (she would be even if she was 90) and presumably his lover too, which is kind of implied in the term nowadays.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
Then these women are lovers.

I am afraid you don't fully understand the meaning of the terms you use.
Look them up in a dictionary, you can't make up your own definitions otherwise we can't understand each other, especially in a international forum.

Edit: I did the search for you, from Cambridge dictionaries online.
Charlene is his girlfriend (she would be even if she was 90) and presumably his lover too, which is kind of implied in the term nowadays.
Yes I do know what I am talking about, and I'm probably much older than most of you on this board. I've played in many jetset circles I know what a mistress is and now I think we should move on as you all obviously know much more than I do. Dictionaries are good for writing papers. life on the other hand brings a whole new meaning to the words. Charlene is a kept woman, not a lover, not a girlfriend and not a companion as yet. She is a mistress.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Please stop this barren discussion about certain definitions and let's
get back to the topic. The "mistress"-topic may quickly get too offensive,
so further posts about it may be deleted.

Thanks for your understanding.

Iceflower
Monaco Forum Moderator
Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Commoner

It seems to me that Charlene is being seen less and less. Is that the case or maybe it only seems that way.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Commoner

Whatever her title, it still isn't wife. By the way where is the Republic of Irelands flag? Is it a no no to show it? Just wondering.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Aristocracy

So,are they working up to announcing an engagement or not? Point de Vue has implied so in the past...What do you all think? Will Albert ever get married,or is he happy being just boyfriend/girlfriend?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish ladybug View Post
Whatever her title, it still isn't wife. By the way where is the Republic of Irelands flag? Is it a no no to show it? Just wondering.

So very true, when she has a gold band on her finger then she will have the title of wife. First wife, then princess or should I say the titles will be simultaneous. To tell you the truth I don´t think it will ever happen.
(Nice little leprechaun).
Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Aristocracy

Does anybody know where is Charlene ? I can't understand this relationship!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Aristocracy

Charlene

People don't understand this relationship, Nobody knows what has been going on since 2006. When Albert invites Charlene then she accompanies him. When he wants to be alone or with another company then he travels without her. I don't think it is a good buisness for Charlene to spend her life with waiting. It seems to me that she doesn't care what will happen to her when this relationship will end. It is sure now that this relationship will not end with marriage. ( People has been waiting their wedding engagement for 3 years.The palace hasn't made an announcement ...)She wastes her time with nothing. Ok, it is a good time for her to travel around world with Albert. However she should make a decision about her future. She is now 31 years old. She should start working, she should have family with another man.This relationship doesn't lead to anywhere.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Aristocracy

Time I think you hit the nail on the head. This gentleman will not get married.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timea83 View Post
People don't understand this relationship, Nobody knows what has been going on since 2006. When Albert invites Charlene then she accompanies him. When he wants to be alone or with another company then he travels without her. I don't think it is a good buisness for Charlene to spend her life with waiting. It seems to me that she doesn't care what will happen to her when this relationship will end. It is sure now that this relationship will not end with marriage. ( People has been waiting their wedding engagement for 3 years.The palace hasn't made an announcement ...)She wastes her time with nothing. Ok, it is a good time for her to travel around world with Albert. However she should make a decision about her future. She is now 31 years old. She should start working, she should have family with another man.This relationship doesn't lead to anywhere.
I don't think that "she wastes her time with nothing and this relationship doesn't lead to anywhere".
Within last 2-3 years she's got enough money (I bet she has a bank account with a round (read "contracted"!) sum), something improved in her life&appearance and formed useful contacts (read "friends") which ones attended at her recent birthday. And you say - "for nothing"?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMarine View Post
I don't think that "she wastes her time with nothing and this relationship doesn't lead to anywhere".
Within last 2-3 years she's got enough money (I bet she has a bank account with a round (read "contracted"!) sum), something improved in her life&appearance and formed useful contacts (read "friends") which ones attended at her recent birthday. And you say - "for nothing"?
I mean this realionship doesn't lead to anywhere that it happens nothing. Albert hasn't make an announcement. Maybe Charlene is satisfied with her position but it is an temporary arrangement.

It won't last forever. Do you think when Albert gets bored with her and will senh her back to South Africa she will have all these priviliges what she owes now. Great look, hefty bank account, parties aren't a life insurance for her. When all these things will go by, what she can keep?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Aristocracy

IMO, if its ok with her as it appears to be--she imo is very smart. She is young enough to have children if she wants, attractive enough to get another guy, enough contacts with international folks and I'm sure many of them like her and as you say a hefty bank account. Which I'm sure she gets. (hope anyway) And she has a good life ahead of her if and when she moves on.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

I consider Prince Albert an immature old boy, his behaviour with women is disconcerting for me. I consider the matter of his two illegitimate children not very edifying for his position of head of state, I prefer Caroline and Stephanie , they were less hypocrite .
Old 02-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olga101 View Post
IMO, if its ok with her as it appears to be--she imo is very smart. She is young enough to have children if she wants, attractive enough to get another guy, enough contacts with international folks and I'm sure many of them like her and as you say a hefty bank account. Which I'm sure she gets. (hope anyway) And she has a good life ahead of her if and when she moves on.
Olga you are very omptimistic person. I wish Charlene the best. I am not sure that she will have troubles when she must face to ordinary difficulties. When her fame go by sponsors and other influental people
won't be in hurry to enter a contract with her. Unfortunately a lot of people care with you until when they have own interests. I think when she leaves her good life behind then she won't be so interesting alone.
As I know we get know her name because she is the current companion of PA.

I don't think everything OK with her. In this celebrity world everything is different when it appears. She should spend a lot of time alone. If she has friends , they take care of her because of Albert. Monaco is the world of the riches and interests. There aren't real, and good friendships there. Do you think that when she has to find her life alone it would be so easy for her?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulisse View Post
Does anybody know where is Charlene ? I can't understand this relationship!
There isn't much to understand IMO. Remember Rubicondi and Ivana Trump?

Tags
charlene, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene, relationship