Prince Albert & Charlene Wittstock Wedding Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the schemas of the palace during the religious ceremony are on the site of Photos isopix

[...]edding will not be extravaganza, if we speak about the extravaganza, we could say that for the other royal weddings like the wedding of Princess Victoria. A part the cathedral. The royal guests entries, the entry of Victoria with father with trompettes, the songs with 2 singers, the flowers , the cutch, the boat on the river , when she arrives with Daniel at the Palace, the arrivals of the family in the dinner room with trompettes, the ball and so, why for one is it extravaganza and for the other, itisa marvellous wedding ?

Why don't you never accept a critic? It's sort of an extravaganza to celebrate in the courtyard of the Palace the wedding of a Souvereing. Think about it. They should do it in the cathedral, that's where catholic people marry. And don't say what you always say: "the cathedral has space for only XXX persons and in the wedding there will be XXXXX guests..."
Is still suspicious for me the way they organize everything.
Maybe she is not catholic but will marry in the catholic church...oops, sorry, catholic courtyard.

Thanks for the pictures Nathalie! So, they're having new chairs made for them, that's interesting. The sketches look nice, if the wedding looks that good it will sure be a beautiful wedding. I'm still hoping for a tiara wedding, I hope Victoria's wedding inspired them, I wanna see some bling, but in one of the pictures we see ladies with hats, but at the ball we see long gowns so we'll wait and see. From the drawings it seems the courtyard is going to be covered because we can see a chandelier hanging in the middle. :D I'm getting more and more excited the closer we get!!

Last edited:
Why don't you never accept a critic? It's sort of an extravaganza to celebrate in the courtyard of the Palace the wedding of a Souvereing. Think about it. They should do it in the cathedral, that's where catholic people marry. And don't say what you always say: "the cathedral has space for only XXX persons and in the wedding there will be XXXXX guests..."
Maybe she is not catholic but will marry in the catholic church...oops, sorry, catholic courtyard.

Presumably you also believe that Papal funerals and enthronements, both rather solemn RC ceremonies, should be held inside St Peters Basilica and not in the plaza in front, but apparently The Vatican disagrees.

Well said NGalitzine, the pape is perhaps not catholic, it was not in the newspaper

Sketch of the weeding:
** Skech 1 ** Skech 2 ** Skecht 3 **

And, this will be the monogram of them as a couple?
Monogram

Thanks for sharing this- the sketches are very interesting. I have to admit- I am also having a hard time warming up to the idea of an outdoor wedding in the palace courtyard. I guess I am just used to seeing royal weddings in cathedrals. Either way- an outdoor wedding will be great for the TV cameras. Lets hope that there are no gusts of wind or flocks of birds that fly overhead!

The other thing I don't really care for is the red and white scheme- a little too much contrast for my taste. While red is a traditional wedding colour in many cultures, I find it a little harsh. However, it looks like there will be lots of fresh flowers, so that should help!

Thanks for sharing. This was really interesting!

it is inside the yardcourt, with four walls, there is no wind; red and white are the colors of the flag of Monaco,the tapis are red in the ceremonies of Monaco,there are more pictures on isopix, there are photos in 3D

Am I wrong, but do the sketches imply that the reception will be held at the Oceanographic Museum?

Was there an official statement regarding where the reception will be held? Does the palace have a ballroom anyway?

Am I wrong, but do the sketches imply that the reception will be held at the Oceanographic Museum?

Was there an official statement regarding where the reception will be held? Does the palace have a ballroom anyway?

It has been confirmed that the reception will be in the oceanographic museum, immediately after the ceremony. I think the palace has a ballroom although I've never seen pictures of it, most of the important events are in the throne room which can not accommodate all the guests for a sit down dinner. :)

Thanks for sharing this- the sketches are very interesting. I have to admit- I am also having a hard time warming up to the idea of an outdoor wedding in the palace courtyard. I guess I am just used to seeing royal weddings in cathedrals. Either way- an outdoor wedding will be great for the TV cameras. Lets hope that there are no gusts of wind or flocks of birds that fly overhead!

I've never liked outdoor weddings!
I always think there are bugs around (even if I can't see them, I think they're there!)

Also, it seems far too casual for a royal wedding. It would be so much better to copy Rainier and Grace's wedding; from the pictures I have seen, that was simply lovely.

Presumably you also believe that Papal funerals and enthronements, both rather solemn RC ceremonies, should be held inside St Peters Basilica and not in the plaza in front, but apparently The Vatican disagrees.
Haha, no dear, that's an entire different thing.
Well said NGalitzine, the pape is perhaps not catholic, it was not in the newspaper
The POPE is not catholic? yeah, maybe you are right...i'll go check out the news, just in case.

Haha, no dear, that's an entire different thing.

Could you explain the difference please? I mean Papal funerals and enthronements are both rather solemn RC ceremonies, especially the funeral mass and they are not held in Cathedrals. Popes perform masses in fields and football stadiums when travelling abroad but presumably that doesnt make the mass any less a holy event.

I know we are all used to weddings, especially royal ones, being held inside a cathedral but I could say the same thing about funerals. God, if one exists, is supposed to be everywhere so I would expect the courtyard ceremony to pass muster with the divinity as well.

Perhaps Albert just remembers his parents saying how much they hated their own wedding ceremony which was held at the cathedral and decided to try something different.

:previous: It's different because a funeral is held in the cathedral. The coffin is carried outside, so all people can see it. I'm talking about head of state funeral, or some important person.
The enthronement is held outside, yes. But that's is different again from a wedding. Tradional catholic weddings are inside a church. This wedding will be not that traditional. I think Albert wants a big wedding, something different, something extravagant...so he celebrate it outside.
I personally don't agree, for a head of state, to celebrate a wedding outside the cathedral of his country in this case.

Thanks to the sketches, I have to say this is going to be very special. Obviously, a wedding outdoors will have so many challenges -- weather issues, acoustics, etc. But the palace courtyard does address two important issues: it is big enough to accommodate the intended number of guests, but also not too big that it will take away from the sense of intimacy.

Not to mention how beautiful the courtyard is as it is, with the Gallery of Hercules as a backdrop. So just imagine it with the flowers.

I've always seen Monaco as extremely unique. So should this succeed, then perhaps they will set a precedent as far as outdoor royal weddings are concerned.

Appropriate place since Charlene was a swimmer.

It has been confirmed that the reception will be in the oceanographic museum, immediately after the ceremony. I think the palace has a ballroom although I've never seen pictures of it, most of the important events are in the throne room which can not accommodate all the guests for a sit down dinner. :)

I visited the Palace some years ago and most of the rooms one could see whee not very big. The Hallo of Mirrors where they always stand at the Weindow on the national Day wasn't included in the rooms who where open but i doubt there would be enough space to held a banquet for all the people who attend the Wedding. If they religious Ceremony would not be in the Courtyard this would have been a beautiful location for the ball but so it's not possible.

The prince Albert defends the environement and the seas with all the ecosystem, in his last interviews with Patric poivre D'arvor, he said that he is very closed to the oceanograph museum, but I think for you, there is any beautiful wedding without cathedral, palace with his ball room. You must become modern, we are in the XXI century. I also visit the palace of Monaco.We visite some rooms, the others are privat. They are not enough big to receive all the guests. Rainier and Grace made the dinner lunch in the yard. there are many people for the wedding of Prince Albert and Charlene,Point De Vue said there will be the room where there will be the dinner with the 60 privileged guests, and and there will be 38 rounds tables for other guest in the room besides. In the first loor, there will be a room where the guests will wait the brides in drinking Champagne and than there will a ball in a big room called 'Salle de conference';
The enthronement and the funeral of the pape are .outside and during the ceremony then catholic people are outside not inside, and the pape is the head od state of the Vatican but he is also the chief of all the catholic people, and all the people must respect him and he is above the kings and the queens and they must respect him, for us he is the most important man of the world. And the catholic people respect him so the enthronement or funeral people is outside.
I had a cousin who married with a catholic irish man , the wedding was very solemn, My sister attend to the wedding who was very traditional ,It was outside. There are no rule for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really actually like the idea of how the ceremony could look in the courtyard. Having said that though I still don't see them fitting 4 thousand people there. I really hope they are doing a test run with chairs and thinking about elbow room and that people can easily walk down the rows if needed.

Then I think of all the things that can go wrong. Despite rain on your wedding day being lucky, CW suggesting that if it rained on her she would look like "Alice Cooper" sort of worries me! :eek:

What about bathroom facilities :ohmy:? Parking (sounds mundane, but 4 thousand is a lot!)? I mean even if 4000 invites went out, have they all been RSVP'd already?

Yet as long as it is feasible for the above reasons I stated, and will be completely legal, and will not cause problems with any future heirs claim to the throne, the Catholic issue, etc. I can see how it might be very nice. They should stop giving out details so much though and leave something as a surprise for the wedding day itself.

:previous::previous: Well to address some of the issues you mentioned (which I also worried about for some time too) it seem that the VIPs will be in the courtyard and that the rest of the guests will be seated in front of the palace with large televisions to watch what's taking place in the courtyard. From the sketches it looks like the courtyard will be covered with a tent, not sure if the place of the palace with the rest of the guests will be covered though. If it does rain they can always cover the red carpet where Charlene will walk, in the place of the palace with a tent sort of like this, which was done for Princess Alexandra of SWB wedding. About parking I'm not really sure but international guests will probably be brought in bus's from the hotel, and the majority of the guests are from Monaco will prob walk, lets face it Monaco isn't that big lol! For Felipe & Letizia's wedding they had about 1,600 guests and they had to build extra temporary bathroom facilities, so I'm sure they will build extra large bathrooms to accommodate all the people. :)

The prince Albert defends the environement and the seas with all the ecosystem, in his last interviews with Patric poivre D'arvor, he said that he is very closed to the oceanograph museum, but I think for you, there is any beautiful wedding without cathedral, palace with his ball room. You must become modern, we are in the XXI century. I also visit the palace of Monaco.We visite some rooms, the others are privat. They are not enough big to receive all the guests. Rainier and Grace made the dinner lunch in the yard. there are many people for the wedding of Prince Albert and Charlene,Point De Vue said there will be the room where there will be the dinner with the 60 privileged guests, and and there will be 38 rounds tables for other guest in the room besides. In the first loor, there will be a room where the guests will wait the brides in drinking Champagne and than there will a ball in a big room called 'Salle de conference';
The enthronement and the funeral of the pape are .outside and during the ceremony then catholic people are outside not inside, and the pape is the head od state of the Vatican but he is also the chief of all the catholic people, and all the people must respect him and he is above the kings and the queens and they must respect him, for us he is the most important man of the world. And the catholic people respect him so the enthronement or funeral people is outside.
I had a cousin who married with a catholic irish man , the wedding was very solemn, My sister attend to the wedding who was very traditional ,It was outside. There are no rule for that.
Ok! Calm down! This will be your so called traditional wedding of the century! There's no need to get angry. It will be beautiful, the best wedding of all! Geez...

An outside Royal wedding is such a romantic thing. And with Pr. Albert seeming to be the outdoors type it seems very appropriate. I look forward to seeing how they do this. It will be different from the usual royal wedding which I think is exciting.

Princess Caroline married Phillip Junot in the palace courtyard too, and based on the pics, it was a lovely ceremony. Princess Grace, in spite of her reservations about the groom and the future of the relationship, went all out for her eldest daughter's wedding, and succeeded in achieving a solemn and dignified ceremony.

I must say though that for me, the lay-out for Albert's and Charlene's wedding is more picturesque and romantic. For Caroline's wedding, the altar was just outside the Palatine Chapel and thus, they were all facing the wall albeit bedecked with flowers with the Gallery of Hercules and the horseshoe staircase, which may be the most beautiful feature of the palace, to their left.

For Albert, Charlene and their guests, they will be facing the dramatic staircase and the Gallery of Hercules.

The advantage of Caroline's ceremony though vs Charlene's is that Caroline's wedding procession descended from the Gallery of Hercules and the staircase. That would have been so dramatic. Charlene cannot do that based on the sketches because there are seats for the other celebrants or priests on the stairs.

:previous: It's different because a funeral is held in the cathedral. The coffin is carried outside, so all people can see it. I'm talking about head of state funeral, or some important person.
The enthronement is held outside, yes. But that's is different again from a wedding. Tradional catholic weddings are inside a church. This wedding will be not that traditional. I think Albert wants a big wedding, something different, something extravagant...so he celebrate it outside.
I personally don't agree, for a head of state, to celebrate a wedding outside the cathedral of his country in this case.

I do agree with you on this point. Princess Caroline and Philippe Junot exchanged vows outside in the courtyard of the palace. She is the daughter of the reigning prince, not the crown princess or ruler. Many summer events, concerts and festivities take place in the courtyard. The courtyard lends itself to a more casual setting; the cathedral adds solemnity and ceremony to the wedding, which is appropriate for the ruling prince’s position.

Does anyone remember where the wedding reception was held for Prince Rainier and Princess Grace? I remember looking at photos, and their reception seemed to be outside too, maybe in the same courtyard. Their wedding was in April, I don't know what the weather was like on that day, cloudy if I remember, then the sun broke through the clouds and shone as Grace Kelly entered the cathedral on the arm of her father, John B. Kelly. Some in Monaco named that type of sunny weather, “Princess Grace Weather.” I hope it is not too hot on Prince Albert’s wedding day. It won’t do to have all of the guests sitting in the hot sun. I remember looking at the TV coverage of the funeral for John Paul II. It was so windy and the guests were exposed to the elements.

:previous::previous: Well to address some of the issues you mentioned (which I also worried about for some time too) it seem that the VIPs will be in the courtyard and that the rest of the guests will be seated in front of the palace with large televisions to watch what's taking place in the courtyard. From the sketches it looks like the courtyard will be covered with a tent, not sure if the place of the palace with the rest of the guests will be covered though. If it does rain they can always cover the red carpet where Charlene will walk, in the place of the palace with a tent sort of like this, which was done for Princess Alexandra of SWB wedding. About parking I'm not really sure but international guests will probably be brought in bus's from the hotel, and the majority of the guests are from Monaco will prob walk, lets face it Monaco isn't that big lol! For Felipe & Letizia's wedding they had about 1,600 guests and they had to build extra temporary bathroom facilities, so I'm sure they will build extra large bathrooms to accommodate all the people. :)

How odd to be invited to a royal wedding and view at it on a TV screen.

Very funny, "the Catholic courtyard". Catholicism is always changing. We have to keep pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember where the wedding reception was held for Prince Rainier and Princess Grace? I remember looking at photos, and their reception seemed to be outside too, maybe in the same courtyard. Their wedding was in April, I don't know what the weather was like on that day, cloudy if I remember, then the sun broke through the clouds and shone as Grace Kelly entered the cathedral on the arm of her father, John B. Kelly. Some in Monaco named that type of sunny weather, “Princess Grace Weather.” I hope it is not too hot on Prince Albert’s wedding day. It won’t do to have all of the guests sitting in the hot sun. I remember looking at the TV coverage of the funeral for John Paul II. It was so windy and the guests were exposed to the elements.

The wedding reception was held in the palace courtyard.

The book "The Bridesmaids" by Judy Balaban Quine offered a great recollection of the event, as it is by someone who was actually there. Grace, Rainier, some of the family members and the bridesmaids were confined in the space or enclosure of the staircase, which created some sort of privacy.

However, for everyone else in the main courtyard, it was rather chaotic. There weren't any seats nor tables for the guests. The attempt was to make people interact and roam around. But as Judy pointed out, it was so difficult especially for the women with their purses and hats getting food from the buffet and having no tables to place their plates on!

It rained the day before the wedding, there was rain and after sunshine and rain and so, there was a firework on the port. T recall my mother,my tantes(the sisters of my mother), my gand mother went to see it, it is not very far from Eze and we didn-t know if it would take place cause the weather, and it taked place, a wonderfull firework, a wonderfull remenber for the little girl I was. An d the to morrow it was fine, sun with a little wind.We watched the ceremony at tv because it was in week and I had school, and we lived in France not in monaco . And for us it was a work day for the adults and school for children.

Well, I had some initial reservations about having the wedding in the Courtyard, but if it is anything close to the preliminary sketches I think it is all going to come off very grand, very dramatic and very beautful. :whistling:

Just because they are not marrying in the Cathedral doesn't mean they are marrying outside the Church...that is what is important to remember.

I am agree with you, I think these sketches are true because they are sent by the palace, they are made about what want Prince Albert and Charlene, it is not definitely, I think we will see all that on the wedding day, I had also reservations about the open air wedding, I think " it is an american wedding I prefer a wedding in a church, but when you think about this wedding, I think to Princess Grace who wanted an open air wedding for Caroline, I know it was privat, but there is the chapell in the palace; She always said that her wedding was very hard to support , she would have prefer an other wedding, perhaps she prefered a wedding in open air and Albert thought to this.We do not know.
In Point De vue, they said there are some thinghs which are not yet closed. where to place the bason of the couple, the entry of the princely family in the privat home during the preparation I think they will give nothing untill the wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom