Prince Albert & Charlene Wittstock Wedding Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone needs to understand that everyone is not of the same religion and for those of us who are not Catholic, we do not understand certain things (requirements, passages, etc.). So you might need to explain things for us.

I believe Charlotte is a Catholic. Both Stephanie and Caroline were raised in the Catholic faith (hence Caroline seeking an annulment for her 1st marriage). Since Caroline was born Catholic I can't imagine her not raising her Italian children in the Cathlic faith. Alexandra is still a Protestant as she remains in line to the British succession.

At various events I have seen them (Caroline and Stephanie) give the sign of the cross but I have also seen that at Anglican services in England so I can certainly understand the confusion.

I am assuming that people are thinking that once Charlene becomes Catholic as a sign of respect she will not be wear a strapless wedding gown but I could be wrong.

It is confusing which is why I thought a bit of history might help. Religion with respect to royalty is still tied to the succession issues and that is where the confusion lies.

Oh yes I understand that it would be in her best interest to pass this introduction stage is it?
But if she doesn't have to convert fully, she shouldn't be restricted in what she wears.

Well if Caroline, Stephanie and Charlotte are catholics, they should also abide by the not wearing strapless clothes, and covering up, which they haven't always done.

This whole linking religion to what clothes you wear is not neccesary IMO.

I was only referring to Church when I posted about disapproving of strapless dresses...I have never seen Stephanie or Caroline attend Church dressed inappropiately.

Catholic women are NOT dictacted to with regard to clothing outside of Church or in...but like all Christians we are advised against immodesty.

Thank heaven for that...it has to do with reverence and respect.

I wasn't referring to the post you wrote about wedding dresses, earlier on we had been Jaya had been talking about the clothes that she should wear when she becomes a Catholic, that doesn't mean just in church.

Dressing inappropriately in church should not be done, but wearing a strapless wedding dress isn't that controversial IMO.

Well I think a strapless dress isnt controversial because its become so common. Once the shock wears off and everyone does it.....it lessens the shock value.

Personally, and I like to think that I am liberal, I don't find strapless gowns necessary in a church. But if we don't see all of your goods I guess some don't see the problem. If you are not too heavy on top, and the dress actually fits without showing all of your goodies maybe its not a problem. I love Diana, but that dress she wore with Grace (the black one) not appropriate in a church.

Well if Caroline, Stephanie and Charlotte are catholics, they should also abide by the not wearing strapless clothes, and covering up, which they haven't always done.

Catholicism doesn't really have rules on what you wear outside of church. In fact, we don't really have rules on what you wear inside church either. But I think for most Catholics, it is a matter of respect. You are in a place of worship, a "House of God", and should dress appropriately (which you could probably define as nothing overtly "provocative", though just how you define that I don't know either). I don't particularly care about the issue and think Charlene should wear what she wants but that would probably be the general Catholic view in my opinion.

Too right, Thecia!

I think one of the reasons why PG's wedding dress has become so iconic, is its almost virginal quality - rather like a First Holy Communion.

I'm not suggesting that CW ought to dress like that, but a modicum of propriety would not go amiss!!

Oh yes I understand that it would be in her best interest to pass this introduction stage is it?
But if she doesn't have to convert fully, she shouldn't be restricted in what she wears.

What is the expression, When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you are in a house of worship, you follow their customs whether you are of that religion or not. So if the Catholic church says a strapless wedding dress is fine, then it's fine. If you notice though most people have their shoulders covered during a religious service. I expect Charlene will too with some sort of shrug if the dress is strapless. She was covered for Victoria's wedding if you notice.

Too right, Thecia!

I think one of the reasons why PG's wedding dress has become so iconic, is its almost virginal quality - rather like a First Holy Communion.

I'm not suggesting that CW ought to dress like that, but a modicum of propriety would not go amiss!!
IF you are you are Gypsy Rose Lee I find the strapless wedding gown a appropriate because tailors and sartorial experts died and took their secrets of how to attach a sleeve properly -[what is the pointof a strapless gown and a long train- how orthologistic is that?] hence the strapless wedding gown-Thanks Renata for that- Grace started by her wedding gown to put Monaco on the map-the success or failure of a marriage and what you are able to bring to it starts somewhere and I do hope propriety reigns.If that is a Catholic State then I would go with the traditions.Grace did not happen on to her wedding gown which has a historic ethic about it- she was it.So I hope Charlene steps into that role where she is "it".

Appearances are how you travel through life Grace told us.Caro and Steph are not marrying the Prince - they will become parenthetical prompters from the side-Cw is one of the protagonists here.

I am a Catholic, going every week to Mass, and I have never heard anything about the clothes we wear...of course inside a church common sense must prevail...

Being neither Roman Catholic or a fashionista, just how covered up does a Catholic bride need to be. Based on the wedding dress of Infanta Cristina, daughter of His Catholic Majesty The King of Spain, I am guessing bare shoulders are acceptable. I couldn't find any reference to the Cardinal fainting in shock at any rate.
http://myroyal.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/3109328101609_reducida.jpg

I am a Catholic, going every week to Mass, and I have never heard anything about the clothes we wear...of course inside a church common sense must prevail...

I agree, common sense should prevail which is why I said in an earlier post that when one is in a house of worship whether one is of that religion or not, one complies with the dress code so to speak. I think the debate is stemming from what the design of Charlene's dress will be and if it will be strapless. It has been my observation that shoulders are usually covered in the bride's case during the religious portion. At the reception, of course she can do what she wants. Charlene's shoulders were covered at Victoria's wedding. As for Charlene's spirituality, I haven't heard of her being a devote Christian nor heard stories of her faithful attendance at a church in Monaco but, one never knows. The truth always comes out at some point after the hype has died down.

Being neither Roman Catholic or a fashionista, just how covered up does a Catholic bride need to be. Based on the wedding dress of Infanta Cristina, daughter of His Catholic Majesty The King of Spain, I am guessing bare shoulders are acceptable. I couldn't find any reference to the Cardinal fainting in shock at any rate.

This is an excellent example of a dress that meets the dress code. Only the barest hint of shoulder is showing, the sleeves cover up her arms. All in all its design speaks of the purity of the occasion. It also shows the changes allowed by the church. When I got married I had to have my shoulders totally covered. My solution was to have the dress designed in such a way that for the service the shoulders were covered and for the reception the shoulders would be more bare like the above example. Times do change, but the Vatican is still in charge of the service.

Maybe, may be not.
We haven't seen Charlene in the celebrations for Sainte Devote, but have seen, for example, Princess Alexandra, and we now she is being raised as a protestant.

Is there any possibility that Charlene keeps as a protestant, marries into the catholic church, and raise her kids catholic?

I'm asking because i know Maxima is still catholic but married into protestant church and is rasing her daughters into this faith.

I answered a lot of this in an earlier post, but I don't want to repeat it. Please scroll back to see what I have written as I think it will straighten a lot of this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LOVE Infanta Cristina's wedding gown...it is one of my favorite Royal wedding gowns. It is off shoulder, but not too revealing for Church.

As for Charlene, I don't know if she will convert or not. But since she is already a foreigner with an incomplete grasp of French, I cannot think that her refusal to accept the religion of her compatriots would go over very well. :ermm:

Again, it's not only a matter of religious belief...it is tied in with the country's culture and history as well.

For example...on National Day and the Feast of St Devote, she would be excluded from receiving Holy Communion with her husband, his family and their subjects...and even worse, the same would happen at the Christmas and Easter masses...Princess Charlene's husband and children could receive the Sacrament and she could not. :ermm:

I simply can't see that happening.

I actually like Princess Grace's wedding dress in terms of how it hugs her gorgeous figure, is completely covered up from head to toe, but at the same time there is a fairytale quality there. In other words, a combination of modesty and haute couture at the same time, which satisfies both the solemnity of the occasion, and also the glamour aspect. :)

For Charlene, I can imagine something similar, not meaning copying Grace's wedding dress, but designing one exclusively for her which combines both modesty with glamour.

Ah, I can't wait, even little tidbits here & there whet my appetite. :D

I would love to know what kind of dress you all would design for her, respectively. Lol, I already have in my mind's eye what I would do. ;)

Edited To Add: I see Charlene as a sirena from the sea that has captured the heart and mind of the prince from the palace.

Last edited:

Thank you for the information, of course when in church common sense for everyone, even royals should prevail.

:lol:
This is modern times and wearing a slightly off the shoulder dress doesn't seem like a problem.

Nadine, I like your "siren" idea - it reminds me of the green shimmering dress CW wore at one of the earlier Balls, when she was still several rows behind the main players.

Of course, one could envisage a gown with the Olympic rings embroidered on it...
...don't shoot me!

Ah, I sincerely love your imagination, Renata4711! :)

It got my minding to thinking back on Caroline Kennedy's wedding to Edwin Schlossberg on July 19, 1986. In honor of her Irish heritage, the bodice of her wedding dress and also her veil were embroidered with hundreds of tiny lace shamrocks! Lol, the luck of the Irish ~ it worked ~ they're still married 24 yrs. later with three beautiful children. :)

Pics here:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1203/1360475735_24ea033202.jpg

http://photos.upi.com/slideshow/lbo...079c639c7cca/Caroline-Kennedy-Schlossberg.jpg

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-12-09-0caroline7.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/Lidka/U86213084.jpg

***ps: I noted too that Crown Princess Victoria & Prince Daniel's spectacular wedding cake was made up of shamrocks, for good luck supposedly; ah, there might be something to it after all. ;) ***

I could totally see your suggestion of the Olympic logo/rings playing a part in Prince Albert & Charlene's upcoming nuptials. After all, that's where they first met, and their participation in the Olympics is something special, binding. How charming would that be to see the Olympic rings embroidered on her wedding dress for good luck! :)

Edited To Add: I couldn't find the green dress you were referring to, Renata4711, however I did find this one (need to click on the pic with Caroline, Albert, and Charlene), wherein Charlene is wearing a shimmering champagne colored dress. http://www.corbisimages.com/Search#p=2&s=50&sort=0&q=princess%20caroline&ri=42-22576260&rin=22576260

Last edited:
Hhhmm .... initially I saw it as a joke .... but it could work.

The Olympic theme is bound to figure heavily in their wedding ceremony.

They got engaged on June 23rd, the day the International Olympic Committee was founded by Baron Pierre de Coubertin in 1894.

I bet they will get married on that date in 2011. That's a Thursday.

The guest list will include Jacques Rogge and other Olympians.

Lol, I will keep that in mind, and remember your post when it happens. :)

Seriously, I believe in such things. It's something me & my elder sister discuss, as she calls me psychic because of my propensity to see things before they happen (aka Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt, Rosemary Clooney dying, et al).

There is no such thing as coincidence, God has a time and place for everything.

Perhaps we should start laying bets ..... only joking! Seriously though, the bookies will already be quoting for this wedding.

Some time ago, in the pre-engagement era :), I dared to post that what PA and CW glues together is the Olympics. That notion was poo-pooed in no uncertain terms....

As you said, "There is a time and a season for everything", courtesy of Ecclesiastes.

The religious wedding will take place on July 9th while the civil wedding will take place the previous day July 8th annoucement by the Palace today.

Thank it gives us plenty of time to buy a special hat and frock....LOL

It was never antiquated for museum purposes. and it has disintegrated.Gros Faille which was the textile of her skirt and cummerbund disintegrates if not proper lined.

Even with the best preservation methods silk can shatter and fabrics in general do not hold up well. Queen Elizabeth II's wedding and coronation dresses have the same issue, especially with the weight of the trains even though proper linings and supporting petticoats were used. The beading is so heavy the fabric just can't hold up. We are lucky that any textiles are displayed in museums. Some garments have deteriorated to the point that they can no longer be displayed, only examined by appointment. This is one reason the gowns of the US First Ladies are now rotated out more often, not on constant display as they were in the 50s-70s as when I saw them at the Smithsonian.

As it is, Charlene deserves her own dress but perhaps if she is interested in vintage pieces retro styling can be done.

Ah well, I would have lost that bet....the number 23 wasn't that lucky after all.

I'm glad they've put everyone out of their misery by announcing the dates.

July the 8th/9th a lovely Summer wedding for them both. I am sure the day will be very special and a host of European Royalty will no doubt have a fantastic time during the wedding week. I wonder if Princess Victoria of Sweden or Princess Madelaine will attend?

I honestly was going to place my bet on a date near the anniversary of PA's Corrination (July 12th)...and ironically, I would've been right.

The religious wedding will take place on July 9th while the civil wedding will take place the previous day July 8th annoucement by the Palace today.
I do hope Albert's existing children get to attend the nuptials of their father- especially Jazmin Grace-and Eric Alexander . I would have Jaz as a bridesmaid.jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom