The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I don't care about Kate Moss either, but the press seems to love her.

I wasn't trying to knock the Monaco wedding, my comment was just a continuation on the conversation about whether the American press is/will be covering the wedding.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Majesty

soapstar...I know what you meant and I happen to agree with you 100%

I have no doubt that on the front page of People Magazine for the week of the Monaco wedding, the headlines will be "WILLIAM AND KATE TAKE CANADA BY STORM!!

The small photo in the lower left of the page will have Albert/Charlene...if they are lucky.

I am happy to see that I am not the only one who doesn't "get" Kate Moss or her appeal.

I never have.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks.

Yeah, that will definitely be the People headline. Hopefully Hello will give Albert and Charlene the full cover.

I don't closely follow the Monaco family, but it sounds like this wedding is going to be very glamorous. I'm looking forward to it. Will Monaco be streaming the wedding on YouTube?

I definitely don't get Kate Moss's appeal. She always looks messy.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

I think that along with extensive press coverage in such an event comes the same amount of criticism and animosity especially given the economic climate right now. As much as William and Kate's wedding attracted a lot of attention in the US, a lot of Americans also expressed dismay over the "unnecessary" press coverage and fascination for a Royal Family that may not be significant in modern times. In a way, less coverage means less haters, which is always a good thing!!!

So in a way, Monaco is able to escape that negative publicity. By not being as well-covered by the American media, Prince Albert and Charlene are able to maintain that elite aura in the sense that their wedding is not for the "mainstream" followers but for the really knowledgeable and for the royal followers. After all, the principality of Monaco is not your common, average place.

I find it weird that here in the US we have a lot of special commemorative magazines of the English Royal Wedding in the supermarkets that are simply collecting dust. After the build-up is a major dose of reality -- nice to see that the wedding turned out fine, but to pay 15 bucks for a magazine that shows the same pics over and over? So it is understandable for these publications not to invest the same resources and energy on a principality that is slightly bigger than a neighborhood block and whose prince is in his 50's, regardless of whose son he is.

It's just like US press coverage between Kate Middleton and Charlotte Casiraghi. Obviously, the Duchess of Cambridge is much more well known and publicized, but there will be those who are aware of Grace Kelly's granddaughter. And for those who will encounter her for the first time in a rare magazine article or photo, they will agree that, hey, this Charlotte Casiraghi is one seriously gorgeous gal. I think the same will happen for the Royal Weddings. The general public in the US will not thirst for coverage, but when they do read about it or see a pic, perhaps they will remember or realize that this is the same country Grace Kelly became a princess in, that this is the same principality where they had this rebel princess who had short hair, and that they do have some great-looking royal family.

And I'm sure that when news programs show bits of the ceremony, we will have those black and white flashbacks of Rainier and Grace along with it. I think the fact that it won't be too commercialized will actually make it more special, elegant and dignified.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

We may live in "global" times, but the wedding of PR and PG was truly iconic, whereas the impending PA/CW version may not capture people's imagination.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Thanks.

Yeah, that will definitely be the People headline. Hopefully Hello will give Albert and Charlene the full cover.

I don't closely follow the Monaco family, but it sounds like this wedding is going to be very glamorous. I'm looking forward to it. Will Monaco be streaming the wedding on YouTube?

I definitely don't get Kate Moss's appeal. She always looks messy.

HELLO Magazine will give PA/CW it's cover??! This is the same magazine that practically coaxed and pleaded with Prince William to marry KM...they promoted her so intensely that I seriously began to think that someone on their staff was a relative!

No, they will definitely give WillKat in North America the cover, I bet.

I am counting on Point de Vue, Royals, and Paris Match for the extensive coverage of the Monaco nuptials.
Thank goodness I read French well, otherwise I would be out of luck.

BTW mtatum...wonderful post...well put! I could not agree more with everything you said. Imagine if Charlotte Casiraghi had been the one bearing the Duchess of Cambridge's train instead of Pippa Middleton...the American press would have been beside themselves.

Charlotte is a true beauty and the grandaughter of an icon...unlike Pippa who seems to be purely a creation of the media. Charlotte's life would become unbearable if the American tabloids and public at large became really aware of her and her equally gorgeous brothers.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

I think we need to be patient. I think the US will cover the wedding to some extent, but Monaco is so small that the press can't send a big crew over a month ahead of time. The hotels are probably being held for them for about a week. This is their big tourist season. PA said there will be some surprises. I also think a 5:00 pm Saturday wedding was set for American coverage. The other 2 weddings times were set for European coverage. I am hoping Ms Obama will go since PA is half American. What would be really awesome is if Princess Alexandra invited the 2 girls also.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
HELLO Magazine will give PA/CW it's cover??! This is the same magazine that practically coaxed and pleaded with Prince William to marry KM...they promoted her so intensely that I seriously began to think that someone on their staff was a relative!

No, they will definitely give WillKat in North America the cover, I bet.
But to be fair, the Hello editor has said that the recent Kate covers have been their biggest selling issues. It's all about the money.

I don't speak French, so I hope some of the US magazines will have some decent coverage.

I didn't think about the hotel situation, FanofMonaco. That could very well be another reason why their isn't much US press yet.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

Like Churchill PA is half American and so the fascination via Grace his adored mother will be there.Coverage should be there but the global world and information highway has become blase.... about royals and nobility which Pa is.However I still think that due to Grace and Rainier this marriage will be covered. via various mediums.It would have been even better that they had still lived to be around.Wishful thinking!
I look forward to seeing the Monaco nuptuals and all the Grimaldis together.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
But to be fair, the Hello editor has said that the recent Kate covers have been their biggest selling issues. It's all about the money.

I don't speak French, so I hope some of the US magazines will have some decent coverage.

I didn't think about the hotel situation, FanofMonaco. That could very well be another reason why their isn't much US press yet.
All of the really elegant, grand hotels on the Riviera are probably going to be occupied by PA and CW's wedding guests that weekend...so accomodations for the world's press is an issue I didn't even think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
As you can see on the last videos, the weather is very fine in the South of the France. For the wedding, You will see the beautiful mittelmeer and the sun during the ceremonies because as you are on the place of the palace, you see the sea around you, the palace is on the rock upon the town Monte Carlo
My God...this sounds fantastic. Visually it is going to be every bit as stunning as the interior of Westminster Abbey.

One of the things I love about Monaco is the views of the Mediterranean Sea from practically everywhere you are.

I am getting soo impatient for this wedding to happen!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Too bad people cannot just enjoy the upcoming wedding of Prince Albert & Miss Charlene Wittstock, bask in it, the little tidbits provided, the guests, details about the dinner, singers, gala extravaganza, civil ceremony, religious ceremony, et al. But, no, now comes the comparisons between Albert & Charlene versus William & Kate. *rolls eyes*

My opinion, who gives a (insert profanity remark) how much coverage will be provided, who's going to be on such & such magazine, et al.

Yeah yeah, I know everybody is entitled to their opinion, that I do agree with, but the constant Debbie Downers gets to be a bit much imho. I tend to be a Susan Sunshine, lol!

ps: is it true that Paul McCartney will be one of the singers? If so I'll truly be in heaven.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think anyone is trying to be a debbie downer or compare them to W&K. I think people are just curious as to why it's not getting much press and trying to figure out if there will be adequate coverage of the ceremony here in the US.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Serene Highness

I think the palace set some hotel rooms aside for the press but only for a few days. The news companies probably don't want to pay Monaco prices for very long either. The Global Champions Tour will be in town the previous week-end so I am hoping to get a little extra coverage of that too.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

It's only natural to compare two major events, and to engage in a "post mortem" :-)

I, for one, am already embroiled in the next but one wedding, i.e. Zara and Mike in Edinburgh.

With respect, one can't compare Westminster Abbey with the Mediterranean Sea :-)

Talking about the weather, the Côte d'Azur looked decidedly murky last night ...

Météo: orages et fortes pluies ce dimanche sur la Côte d'Azur | Nice-Matin

So far, we've used the initials PA, PS, PC..... what are we going to use for Charlene? PCh ?

Front page of "Monaco-Matin":

Alain Ducasse about the wedding:

Ducasse : « le mariage tel que je l'ai rêvé »

(The wedding, the way i've dreamt it)

Toute l'actualité avec Monaco-Matin - monacomatin.com
Old 06-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yesterday,it was very hot and my mother ate out door with the family of my brother. When it rained in the south of the france, it does'nt last it is not like in Great Britain or scotland, that you are cold and you have the rain all the day.
Yes we cannot compare Wetminster to the palace but I prefer the open air wedding at the palace because the wedding of the westminster is so boring
Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Mélina, did you get wet yesterday? :-)

I totally agree with you about the open air wedding !

But are there any contingency plans, in case there is a rafale, or - God forbid! - an ouragan at the Monégasque wedding ???

P.S. do you remember Stéphanie singing "Ouragan" ??
A long time ago.....
Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know if the uniform Albert will wear is completely white or only the jacket (like he wore at Victoria and Daniel's wedding)?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I don't think anyone is trying to be a debbie downer or compare them to W&K. I think people are just curious as to why it's not getting much press and trying to figure out if there will be adequate coverage of the ceremony here in the US.

That's what I thought was happening too..?? I feel like I am missing something?

I don't see any William and Kate vs. Albert and Charlene going on here at all.

ETA: I enjoyed the WillKat wedding very much, and have watched it more times than I care to admit. But I am very much looking forward to this wedding.

If anyone thinks I was comparing Westminster Abbey unfavorably with the Med, they misunderstood my intent..I was simply pointing out that both are venues were and are glorious, that indeed we are all in for a visual treat, just like at the British wedding.

If memory serves, there was a lot of grumbling in the beginning when it was announced that PA's wedding would be in the Palace Courtyard, and not the Cathedral.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose the Monegasques had no choice in the matter !

However, on reflection, they would perhaps acknowledge that a much larger number of locals can be accommodated at the Palais.

Moonmaiden, I understand about the comparison .... what I meant was that you can't compare a seaside location / modern palace with an ancient church :-))
Old 06-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Albert seems a very caring and kind man and I hope Charlene makes him really happy.

Strange ... all those years ago when Caroline and Stephenie had husbands Albert was completely alone ... now Albert is marrying and the 2 sisters don't have husbands anymore and they are now completely alone. Although whose to say the 2 sisters may not marry again if they want to.

Closed Thread