The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
One week ago, there was a lovely documentary on the wedding of Prince Rainier and Princess Grace at the tv 5.She arrived by boat at Monaco, and already they had a gala of Residents, the evening further they had a gala of the union trade of Monaco, the evening after they had a show of dance and sport given to the sport associaeion and a firework, the day after they had the civil wedding after they received the people of Monaco for a cocktail than the evening they had a big gala to the opera and a firework on the port in the evening, the to morrow further they had their religious wedding, all these festivities were organized by Hollywood team. Princess Grace lost 8 kilos of weight.It was in 1956, you can compare
Princess Grace was a famous actress, hence the Hollywood team organazing all, a la Hollywood.
Charlene Wittstock doesn't have all the contatcs Grace had.
Prince Albert is paying for her and her family. Grace payed a dowry, even the Middletons payed part of the party. The Wittstock haven't payed anything and alrealdy are living in Monaco, doing nothing...or do you know what they do?

Albert likes to do his way, and he will celebrate this like a big show, and that's how it going to be, a big show.

I personally don't think this will be better than Victoria's wedding, but i can see all the fanatisim surrounding Charlene and that her wedding will be the "best of all royal weddings..."

Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
Don't you think they are over exagerating with all the program? Too many dinners, balls, fireworks, etc? They have to party, yes, it's perfectly understandable because they are getting married, but they have to do this like a show for everyone? Is a marriage, not a show!

Plus, i think the Brits were correct. Europe's situation is not like they can be throwing money out the window, as Albert is planning. Too much preparation.
And then they will still party in SA. More money wasted.

I know he is a head of state, but can't he celebrate this more with his family? (oh yeah, and the people of Monaco) instead of the whole world?
The new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have taken over the entire North Island of the Seychelles...at a cost of $45,000 a night. I don't know how much of that is coming out of William's pocket but I am willing to bet not all of it is. So it wasn't ALL as cut-rate as we were led to believe, apparently.

At least it's Albert's OWN money to spend. Since Monagasques pay no taxes, they are not going to have a reason to complain...how often does a ruler of their tiny Principality get married after all?

I say they should let it rip.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, people, let's have fun please! I believe the wedding will be great. It seems very promising.

So far, what are the people that have confirmed their assistance to the wedding, apart from the entire Swedish family? (i think Maxima will go to, but i don't know if she has confirmed it)
Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Courtier

It been reported that the Middleton are paying to the honeymoon
Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Yikes, 45,000 per night? I had heard 7,000. Either way, that's not "normal", is it? LOLOLOL Are they back?

I thought Charles was paying for the honeymoon.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Majesty

KittyAtlanta, no they are not due back for another week.

The Seychelles are paradise on Earth and I don't begrudge them this time, especially after learning that they will be separated for about 10 weeks soon.

But I just wanted to make the point that A LOT of $$ has been and is being spent on the W/K nuptials and honeymoon, and if PA wants to spend a lot of his own money on his own celebrations, it's certainly his right!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
^I don't agree, but i see your point.
Anyway i believe it will be a great show, worth to watch.
Hi Nat, I totally agree with your point of view that sometimes a celebration can turn into a Roman orgy of spending. In these difficult economic times around the world and with a Prince who supposedly has enough of a conscious to be "green" it is really starting to sound like there might be too much spending and that in the face of half the world in economic troubles.We have to wait and see however.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Ok, people, let's have fun please! I believe the wedding will be great. It seems very promising.

So far, what are the people that have confirmed their assistance to the wedding, apart from the entire Swedish family? (i think Maxima will go to, but i don't know if she has confirmed it)

I think Maxima might she said something when In Qatar along the line of "see you in England or if not there then in Monaco" I hope she goes, we need some women to get all decked out in fancy jewelery!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Majesty

If anyone knows how to deck herself out for formal events it's Maxima of the Netherlands!

She has her hit or miss moments in Daywear, but I have never seen her get it wrong at night!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Aristocracy

Before I try to bring this back on topic (apologies if it sounds as if I am overstepping my place) it is said that the 29 April wedding was a whopping 34 millions pounds just for security alone and the tax payers were responsible for 10 mil. This was according to DM and other UK and US newspapers that have pretty good reps. And the BRF cut back obstensibly. And the Middleton parents insisted on paying for things as a matter of pride I believe and tradition and because they could. We don't really know what the Wittstocks have or have not done but PA is rolling along happily either way so it should not matter.

So basically how much is too much when you consider that the family does not rule it's own land? It is all relative and I don't think comparing any one wedding in terms of financial ostentaiousness (is that even a word?! lol) is really gonna get us anywhere and might fall on misconduct so we should just move on. :FLOWERS:

I am so glad that the whole of the Swedish Family will be attending and I am anxious to see some of the African royalty. It truly will be a marv occasion. Will PA wear a suit or some type of uniform? Do they even have an army?
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Vita, I could NOT have put it better myself!

I hope for a huge Royal blowout, and I am not ashamed to admit it.

Yes, I am going to be thrilled to see the entire Swedish RF, and I hope to see the Belgians, the Danes, the Spanish and Norwegian too!

And yes, I want PA to wear a uniform. Actually anything is better than that WAITER COSTUME he sported at Victoria's wedding last summer...!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Courtier

I hope Charlene gets some lovely jewellery from Prince Albert ... she wears it well! Unlike Camilla Duchess of Cornwall. This is the worst I have ever seen.

Camilla's rubies, the Saudi prince and a very peculiar protocol | News
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Moon I caught that fashion faux pas! And Charlene looked so very elegant I wondered why she did not say to PA, "Darling, will you be attending the wedding with me or shall I tell you about it while you are serving at dinner?"
"I had this garden party for my father's birthday, I said to RSVP cause it was a sit-down dinner, but people came who did not RSVP and so I was totally buggin'...but, by the end of the day, it was like, the more the merrier...So, if the government could just get in the kitchen, rearrange some things, we could certainly party with the Ha-ti-ans." Cher--Clueless
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Majesty

Vita, I hear ya.

Personally I would have INSISTED that my man change from that getup if it was me..even a black tux would have been better!

No way would he have been looking like a roly poly maitre d' if I'd had any say!

CW looked soo elegant at that wedding that it just made PA look even more....ridiculous!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Vita, I hear ya.

Personally I would have INSISTED that my man change from that getup if it was me..even a black tux would have been better!

No way would he have been looking like a roly poly maitre d' if I'd had any say!

CW looked soo elegant at that wedding that it just made PA look even more....ridiculous!
angiek...I am sure that perhaps Camilla wore that necklace as a sign of appreciation and thank you to the Saudi giver...but it really is not very pretty is it? And it no doubt costs a fortune...you could probably reduce the deficit by HALF with that thing!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk
I hope Charlene gets some lovely jewellery from Prince Albert ... she wears it well! Unlike Camilla Duchess of Cornwall. This is the worst I have ever seen.

Camilla's rubies, the Saudi prince and a very peculiar protocol | News
If the Duchess has a stylist then he or she should be sued for letting her go out in that wrecklessly ugly and gaudy old thing.

This is why I am hoping the Earl and Countess attend. She always looks beautiful and splendidly turned out!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Majesty

Oh for heavens sake Yes protocol played it's part and yes Camilla obliged and wore the ruby "Breastplate". BUT, that was in January of 2007 and have we seen it since?

Anyone with half a brain who has been watching royalty and their jewellery over the past decade would know that that style or degree of ostentation is NOT, and never has been, Camilla's personal style or taste in jewellery.

It tends more to pearls. of which she has an exceptional collection, except when tiara's are called for, in which case she has three perfectly acceptable choices, the Delhi Dhurbar, the Bucheron and her own personal tiara. Her diamond necklaces and earrings are the match of any other of the great houses.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Majesty

Well, Marg...I am pretty sure I have more than half a brain and I have been watching Royalty since I was a preteen-though admittedly not Camilla so much..and all I can say is that I am relieved to know that the ruby "breastplate" (great description ) is not HRH's usual taste, because first of all it doesn't suit her a bit, and second...it is freakin' hideous!

As I have already posted, maybe she wore it out of a sense of politeness to the Saudis?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Hi Nat, I totally agree with your point of view that sometimes a celebration can turn into a Roman orgy of spending. In these difficult economic times around the world and with a Prince who supposedly has enough of a conscious to be "green" it is really starting to sound like there might be too much spending and that in the face of half the world in economic troubles.We have to wait and see however.
On the Brit board they are being criticized for not doing it up big enough for some people and now Monaco is being criticized for doing it up too big and the event has not even happened yet.
Rainier was right when he said if you dont have fire works people will say you are cheap and depriving them of entertainment and if you do have fireworks you are criticized for wasting money that could be spent elsewhere. It is a no win situation.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
On the Brit board they are being criticized for not doing it up big enough for some people and now Monaco is being criticized for doing it up too big and the event has not even happened yet.
Rainier was right when he said if you dont have fire works people will say you are cheap and depriving them of entertainment and if you do have fireworks you are criticized for wasting money that could be spent elsewhere. It is a no win situation.
The twist in a place such as Monaco is that making the event big and grand is ultimately going to assist the principality's economy. Monaco's main selling point is its glamorous and fairytale-ish image. It does not have other reliable industries or the land for agriculture; it requires to strengthen its reputation as a major tourist spot and luxury destination. And Prince Albert's wedding is its most precious "product" to sell in recent history.

So as much as spending millions for a royal wedding may seem insensitive to global issues and irrational to the working class, this is an essential investment for the principality. Rainier and Grace's wedding, after all, led to extreme wealth for the principality.

Closed Thread