Prince Albert & Charlene Wittstock Wedding Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Albert is Catholic and in order for a Catholic to marry I believe the children from the union must be raised Catholic. So the heir will be Catholic.

The only thing that I can see from a mixed religion marriage is the children sometimes get mixed religion views and then change religion.

Last edited:
Thanks! :flowers: So in other words it would be okay if CW is not Catholic, as long as any heir would be raised Catholic, baptized, etc. ?

...Charlene, who is protestant, makes the sign cross...she shouldn't make it because she doesn't believe in catholic faith. It's like disrepect more like respect what she does...

Nathalie, I am a member of a Protestant denomination and it is part of our Order of Service to reverance the Cross in this manner. We also genuflect. I don't believe she is disrespecting anything.

The ceremony must be celebrated in catholic ryte and the children would be raised in the catholic religious. Pince albert said that Charlene is already chretien is a good thing. THe gests that Charlene made during all the mass of the principauty(national fest and the two mass of Sainte Devotethe 26 and 27 january are very important for the catholic people. I think that she will be catholic after the wedding perhaps before the birthday of the first child.It takes time to be converted, there are lessons to learn, the priests to learn and so
Queen Astrid of Belgium was protestant at the time of her wedding with prince Leopold and she converted just before the birth of king Baudoin. Queen Sofia of Spain was orthodox at the time of her wedding with Juan Carlos and I remembered there were 2 weddings in Athene one orthodox and one in catholic rite, I do not remember when she converted , there are many exemples of royal weddings between prince and princesse who had not the same religion, there was convertion before or after the wedding but we do not know if the persons kept there themselves believes

Hi Lady MacAlpine, good post! :wave:

I agree that things stated officially about Charlene, if later proven wrong, will reflect badly on her. Everyone else involved will not be in the public eye. It has obviously happened on the Palace website where they said she was a school teacher, etc. They are doing her no favors for sure.

Also I was under the impression, as some others here, that CW would have to become catholic. Yet if this is not the case, and it will not ruin things for any
children they may have, I think it is fine. I respect varying religions. It seems to me she is not intensely devoted religious, but more casual about it so it may just not be important to her?
Thanks. Actually the school teacher thing wasn't on the Palace site it was the press who created that from translation taking youth worker and turning it into school teacher.

Thanks! :flowers: So in other words it would be okay if CW is not Catholic, as long as any heir would be raised Catholic, baptized, etc. ?
Yes, it is okay for Charlene to stay a Protestant if she wants and she will need to sign a paper saying the children will be raised Catholic. Like Princess Alexandra being raised Protestant due to the Hanover's being under the British crown.

The ceremony must be celebrated in catholic ryte and the children would be raised in the catholic religious. Pince albert said that Charlene is already chretien is a good thing. THe gests that Charlene made during all the mass of the principauty(national fest and the two mass of Sainte Devotethe 26 and 27 january are very important for the catholic people. I think that she will be catholic after the wedding perhaps before the birthday of the first child.It takes time to be converted, there are lessons to learn, the priests to learn and so
Queen Astrid of Belgium was protestant at the time of her wedding with prince Leopold and she converted just before the birth of king Baudoin. Queen Sofia of Spain was orthodox at the time of her wedding with Juan Carlos and I remembered there were 2 weddings in Athene one orthodox and one in catholic rite, I do not remember when she converted , there are many exemples of royal weddings between prince and princesse who had not the same religion, there was convertion before or after the wedding but we do not know if the persons kept there themselves believes
If Charlene began taking lessons when she became engaged she will be converted at Easter just like everyone else. Also I think Monsignor Bernard Barsi would have mentioned it if she was. It isn't like she will fail or anything you aren't tested. All you need to do is listen and any good Christian will already know the things they talk about.

How do we know Princess Alexandria is being raised protestant? It makes no sense. She is 5th in line to Monaco and would have to be Catholic. She isn't in line for anything as a protestant. Even Ernst before his marriage to PC wasn't in line for the throne. He isn't a British citizen.

Yes. The couple can not get married in the Catholic religion if they don't agree with raising all their children Catholic.

Last edited:
FanofMonaco said:
How do we know Princess Alexandria is being raised protestant? It makes no sense. She is 5th in line to Monaco and would have to be Catholic. She isn't in line for anything as a protestant. Even Ernst before his marriage to PC wasn't in line for the throne. He isn't a British citizen.

Are you sure he not on that list? I have read he is but waaaaay far from actual throne? Isn't that why he and Caroline are HRH's? Also not sure you have to be British citizen to be king- james I wasn't or George I - think you just have to be Blood related to Sophia the Electress of such.... But maybe my history is wrong!

This is off-topic, but Ernst is no longer an heir to the British throne. Per Ken Cuthbertson (on the unofficialroyalty.com website):

"Though now barred from the British succession by his marriage to Princess Caroline of Monaco, Ernst’s sons from his first marriage and his daughter with Princess Caroline remain in the line of succession."

Ooooooh, does that mean William could become the Duke of Albany?

Off topic - but the current heir to that title is Hubertus Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha.

So Charlene is a Protestant again? It seems every time I come poking around this neighborhood she has changed. Protestant first, then she was Catholic, then not, then Catholic again and now Protestant again. Does anyone know anything for certain other than the "Christian" part?:bang: There is certainly no law against the Prince marrying a Protestant (the Prince of Monaco can do pretty much whatever the hell he likes) but I don't think it would look very good if Charlene marries as a Protestant. She marrying the sovereign of a county with an official state religion, and especially if she doesn't view the differences between Protestants and Catholics as terribly important (and I am not trying to be critical but neither she nor her intended strike me as *very* religious people) why not just make the switch so as to be on the same page with 99% of the people of Monaco? Not to do so would make her appear to be holding herself apart from 'her' people. And was I wrong in thinking that they had already announced that this would be a Catholic wedding?

:monacostandard: :monacoflag: :monacoflag:

The truth is no one here knows if she is converting or not. Also some protestant religions are very close to catholicism and have similar traditions such as crossing themselves.

As if this family is so devote to their faith. Hello? :lol:
If they were really serious catholics, it would be an other story.

As if this family is so devote to their faith. Hello? :lol:
If they were really serious catholics, it would be an other story.

Well, that's part of my point. I don't want to 'open windows' into their souls, and I do think that they take their religion seriously, I just think it is safe to say they are not exactly devoutly religious people. Were that the case Albert probably wouldn't be marrying a Protestant in the first place. Likewise, I have never seen or heard anything about Charlene going to Protestant services in all these many years. So, if the exact church you belong to is not that important to you it looks all the worse not to convert when that is important to a great many or most of the people and a central part of the history of the country and the Princely Family. I would be very surprised if she does not convert and if she doesn't I don't think it will reflect well on her at all. And, in any event, the current Prince and Princesses of Monaco should serve as a comforting reminder that, well ... let's just say that the "fires of the inquisition":furious: have long been extinguished. :angel:

I'm hearing that Albert and Charlene do not have the same religion? Well good luck on their marriage cause it's hard to have a successful marriage when husband and wife do not agree and follow the same religion. If Albert is catholic then Charlene should be catholic too.

As far as I'm aware Charlene is said to have been Protestant (?), and has since recieved Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Last edited:
Charlene was and is protestant and hasn't converted to catholicism, Barsi has said it!

Thanks for that Nathalie. Appreciated.

But it's pertinent to note that no where did that provided extract conclude that she hasn't converted, or that she won't. It was only stated that it is at her discreation, her free will to decide.

As far as I was aware she had converted to catholicisim, but that may well be hearsay for the time being. Time will tell.

Thanks for that Nathalie. Appreciated.

But it's pertinent to note that no where did that provided extract conclude that she hasn't converted, or that she won't. It was only stated that it is at her discreation, her free will to decide.

As far as I was aware she had converted to catholicisim, but that may well be hearsay for the time being. Time will tell.
The press said she had converted, and mentioned catechism and someone put it on Wikipedia she had without confirmation. The press has also said she was a school teacher before moving to Monaco which we all know is incorrect. This is why things get confused especially where Charlene is involved. She was asked had she converted she said she was a Christian, not that she had become a Catholic.
No, she's free to decide.
which would mean no she has not yet converted and can if she wants. If she is taking catechism classes she will convert at Easter Vigil with everyone else in the world who is converting. If she has not been baptized they will do it then.

I wouldn't have thought so !
It would disrupt the festivities, I'd imagine...

No one has said she didn't convert Barsi said she doesn't have to but can! I'm sure she will because it would just make sense to. She crosses herself, wears the mantilla, has communion: tell tell sign that she is or has converted to Catholicism, although we will not know unless she tells us herself...

One of your comments "has communion" leads me to believe she has converted. I know she has a special position, but I know of no Roman Catholic priest who would knowingly administer the sacraments to a Protestant.

Yes, that would be a dead give-away. If she has taken communion, she's Catholic, simple as that. Say what you will about the Grimaldis, they seem to be pretty good about not presenting themselves for communion if they are not fit to receive it. I just had a look back at the national day festivities (couldn't tell about the communion thing of course) and she took the holy water, crossed herself and genuflected to the Archbishop -all things that my Protestant relatives would not do if their lives depended on it! Maybe know one outside the circle knows, but I can certainly see why some media would report that she's Catholic already. If she's not she certainly seems to be giving that impression.

which would mean no she has not yet converted and can if she wants.

It means nothing of the sort.

It is merely an indavidual stating that it is at Charlene's discreation. No where did he say she hasn't, won't or that she will.

she said she was a Christian

Technically speaking a Catholic is a Christian.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom