The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I hope Charlene goes for something like Queen Sofia's wedding dress, its my absoulte favorite... or maybe like Infanta Cristina
Both those styles would look quite elegant on Charlene.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Majesty

jonc93 both of those are EXCELLENT choices for Charlene...but I do think Infanta Cristina's gown would be more flattering for the type of figure and body that CW has.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I hope Charlene goes for something like Queen Sofia's wedding dress, its my absoulte favorite.

Queen sofia wedding dress image by rex74 on Photobucket
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_VqXBU115Q2...+of+Greece.JPG

or maybe like Infanta Cristina
Imageshack - caez0di92ns.jpg
Queen Sofia's wedding gown was by Jean Desses[Valentino apprenticed at him for a bit] but upon closer scrutiny I can see how much it would become Charlene-brilliant observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I think we all agree that the dress should have sleeves. Or not?
It is really up to Charlene- but there is an Italian tradition and a European one that says when you chose you wedding dress or have the first fitting your sister in law should be there for good luck and that you should buy her her clothes for the wedding. And that all of this be done on a Thursday.Italian couturiers used to cut the cloth of their clothes on Thursdays as it is ruled by Jupiter hence good luck. Wonder if Charlene will wear something old something new and something borrowed something blue?Will they sew a small horsehoe into the gown's hem or train as is done at all other weddings?
For me another favorite bride of all time excluding Grace was Elizabeth Taylor in Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy. It was a Helen Rose gown however.
I think Charlene would look terrific in Chanel for the civil ceremony and Armani for the wedding gown.
I always suggest they have a helicopter or ambulance on hand just in case one of the two want to make a quick getaway.It is quite the moment signing that registry and it is irrevocable that signature you put there on that rite of passage day.
Is anyone from the forum going to Monaco to vacation or take pictures or have been invited pls advise...at the time of the wedding- we need an on the spot reporter
Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, Liz Taylor was very amazing in this dress! More conservative, but with glamour.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/159...44c350a.th.jpg

Or Margarethe of Thurn und Taxis

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8969/brautg.th.jpg

Or Anita Stewart Rhinelander, it´s not a bride dress, but it´s elegant for the dinner before wedding

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2...t762287.th.jpg

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
It is really up to Charlene- but there is an Italian tradition and a European one that says when you chose you wedding dress or have the first fitting your sister in law should be there for good luck and that you should buy her her clothes for the wedding. And that all of this be done on a Thursday.Italian couturiers used to cut the cloth of their clothes on Thursdays as it is ruled by Jupiter hence good luck. Wonder if Charlene will wear something old something new and something borrowed something blue?Will they sew a small horsehoe into the gown's hem or train as is done at all other weddings?
For me another favorite bride of all time excluding Grace was Elizabeth Taylor in Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy. It was a Helen Rose gown however.
I think Charlene would look terrific in Chanel for the civil ceremony and Armani for the wedding gown.
I always suggest they have a helicopter or ambulance on hand just in case one of the two want to make a quick getaway.It is quite the moment signing that registry and it is irrevocable that signature you put there on that rite of passage day.
Is anyone from the forum going to Monaco to vacation or take pictures or have been invited pls advise...at the time of the wedding- we need an on the spot reporter

I agree! I wonder if the Grimaldi's will do that and which sister-in-law she'll pick if they decide to do that tradition. The something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue idea-that's up to Charlene.Antother "tradtion" question-will they sew a penny into one of her shoes so she can't feel it for good luck like was done for Princess Grace?
And I agree-we need a on the spot reporter. I'm hoping to be in the UK, France and Monaco at least at some point next summer, but not sure if I'll be able to afford it or when. If I am there at the time of the wedding, then, yes, I will totally be the on the spot reporter.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Ah, Thtregoddess beat me to it, I was also going to quote Jaya's magnificent post as well! :)

I love reading about all the different traditions of weddings, brides-to-be, et al from various countries. And on that note, today I read on this forum the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpearls View Post
There's also the "red string of fate." The fable is something about a boy is introduced to his soulmate. He doesn't want her & throws a rock at her. Her face is scarred for life. Many years later, on his wedding night --it was an arranged marriage-- he meets the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. She has something covering over her eye, and she explains that when she was a little girl, a boy threw a rock & hurt her.

The red string of fate is, iirc, a Chinese tale of soulmates, who are tied together by a red string.

Keep them coming, they're all so fascinating & interesting! :)

By the way, after much thought, I have revised whom I would pick as my prince if I had to do so, now it would possibly be Prince Andrew, as he reminds me of Prince Albert but without all the scandals, lol. In all seriousness, it would most likely be someone from the Belgium Royal Family for obvious reasons, namely their devotion to God above all else. :)
Old 07-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

I think Charlene would look good with sleeves like on Autumn Kelly's dress
Galerías de imágenes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Galerías de imágenes
That would look good on Ms. Wittstock's upper arm muscles.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I think we all agree that the dress should have sleeves. Or not?
With Charlene's arms, no sleeves might be better.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I prefer cdm's and georgiea's idea.
Even CW herself might feel that minimising the view of her shoulders might be a good thing.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Galerías de imágenes
Something like that would look fantastic on Charlene as far as her shoulders go.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I waited a year between my OWN engagement and wedding. Not only did it take that long to plan and execute, but I wanted to see first-hand how the commitment of engagement was handled by my intended. That is the reason for engagement --- to take the time to be sure you want to go through with it. I can't see where it would be different for a royal house than a common house.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
With Charlene's arms, no sleeves might be better.
I believe she will have to be "sleeved," as the wedding will take place in the Roman church and they have rules (as do the CofE and the various Orthodox churches). I'm not saying that the dress itself couldn't be strapless, or spaghetti or sleeveless, but there would have to be some sort of illusion to cover the shoulders and arms.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Courtier

Imo she shouldn't choose a strapless dress, it's totally inappropiate for a church wedding and moreover this is a head of state wedding so shoud be considered. And in many catholic churches they don't let you enter showing a lot of skin.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

There is also a tradition from Southern Europe which is verrry prevalent- and that is that the bride take her wedding shoes out of the box and before she puts them on for the first and possibly last time to the religious ceremony she writes the names of her single girlfriends on the botton- the soles in ink- and she proceeds to go not too far - because after the wedding ceremony alone [ before the reception the shoes are checked] the names of the girls who will marry shortly will have disappeared and those that have to wait are still there.
In India a bride should on the night before her wedding kneel on a plank of wood and have her girlfriends sing songs to her so she will be as strong as wood and she should rise before sunrise to marry in Northern India as by noon the ceremony is over.Noon being a critical time as they believe the sooner in the day the better.Those are the Sikhs as opposed to the Hindus who mary religiously at midnight and go around a fire.
They also say that if you take a piece of wedding cake and put it under your pillow you will dream of the man you marry.Tossing the bouquet over one's head is integral because the bride then gives her luck to another maiden who wishes to marry.The bouquet tossing is a kind of designation of who is next. I wonder if Charlene will do any of these or have some of her own to bring along?
Fascinating folklore.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Courtier

Exactly where in southern europe? Because that's the first time I've read about that.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've never heard of that before, the only thing I have heard of is the bouquet tossing.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Aristocracy

My gut instinct tells me that Armani is going to do her dress, why wouldn't he he's been doing all her ball gowns so far.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Majesty

Charlene's future role

what do you think charlene's future role as princess of monaco would be like? what kind of associations will she get patronage of? will she be rather mediatic, as grace, or will she prefer to be more out of the spotlight?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

I think her role will be much more restricted than PA's. For a start, she won't be able to take part in the political life of Monaco because that is the province of the Sovereign Prince and his government. For instance, PA's role as a Head of State, and in the diplomatic field, will continue in the same way.

She has already said that she wants to do things revolving around children / in Africa / with sport. That should keep her going for a while.

Plus there will be the engagements she will share with the Prince, such as the Balls, opening ceremonies etc.

Closed Thread