PA2 & The Environment: Flash or Substance?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lozange

Gentry
City
Forest Hill
Country
Canada
I'd like to propose we discuss PA's foray into the global issue of the environment and global warming. It's been said his current girlfriend had a hand in setting up the Prince Albert II Foundation, according to a British newspaper, the Spectator. On the other hand, as many people know, foundations are yet another fiscal device to not part with substantial wealth and pay taxes. Is it raison d'être or raison d'état? On the day this thread begins, Earth Hour will occur almost everywhere in less than 4 hours but will it be honoured at Monaco's Bal Rose? (Make that 24 hours) PA's lifelong affair with outdoor sports would lend credence to his attachment to the Planet. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'd like to propose we discuss PA's foray into the global issue of the environment and global warming. It's been said his current girlfriend had a hand in setting up the Prince Albert II Foundation, according to a British newspaper, the Spectator. On the other hand, as many people know, foundations are yet another fiscal device to not part with substantial wealth and pay taxes. Is it raison d'être or raison d'état? On the day this thread begins, Earth Hour will occur almost everywhere in less than 4 hours but will it be honoured at Monaco's Bal Rose? PA's lifelong affair with outdoor sports would lend credence to his attachment to the Planet. What do you think?
It's tomorrow night during the Ball.
On March 29, 2008 at 8 p.m., join millions of people around the world in making a statement about climate change by turning off your lights for Earth Hour, an event created by the World Wildlife Fund.

Last edited:
Thanks for setting me straight again! Let me edit myself and be less impulsive...

Glistening Seas

:flowers: ohh lozange on another thread someone already said that the newspapers misreported that CW helped to bring about the Foudation. however, with global warming Pa work will be important as with his trips to the poles. If we lose those poles the globe in general is in trouble so it's best to focus on getting things back to norm again.

Last edited:
A relief!

Thanks for the clarification, Glistening Sea! :huh:
I would have been disappointed if it actually had been true. Somehow it would have lacked seriousness. I agree, with the ice mass melting even that storage unit where seeds from everywhere in the world are stored that has been talked about lately in Greenland I think, would be in jeopardy too :shock:

Last edited:
I'd like to propose we discuss PA's foray into the global issue of the environment and global warming. It's been said his current girlfriend had a hand in setting up the Prince Albert II Foundation, according to a British newspaper, the Spectator. On the other hand, as many people know, foundations are yet another fiscal device to not part with substantial wealth and pay taxes. Is it raison d'être or raison d'état? On the day this thread begins, Earth Hour will occur almost everywhere in less than 4 hours but will it be honoured at Monaco's Bal Rose? (Make that 24 hours) PA's lifelong affair with outdoor sports would lend credence to his attachment to the Planet. What do you think?
Albert already lives in a more or less tax free country, so I doubt he'll need a foundation to evade taxes. Plus, he wants Monaco to be an exemplary country on more than one level, so doing a bit of shifty tax evasion while being head of state would give out the wrong message imo.

And with regard to it being flash or substance: imo it's very much substance but probably not in the way you guys would take it. :popcorn:
:rose2: <- in honour of the Rose Ball tonight...:D

Thanks for the clarification, Glistening Sea! :huh:
I would have been disappointed if it actually had been true. Somehow it would have lacked seriousness. I agree, with the ice mass melting even that storage unit where seeds from everywhere in the world are stored that has been talked about lately in Greenland I think, would be in jeopardy too :shock:
It's Longyearbyen, Norway and a link to an article on The Svalbard Global Seed Vault.

Albert already lives in a more or less tax free country, so I doubt he'll need a foundation to evade taxes. Plus, he wants Monaco to be an exemplary country on more than one level, so doing a bit of shifty tax evasion while being head of state would give out the wrong message imo.

And with regard to it being flash or substance: imo it's very much substance but probably not in the way you guys would take it. :popcorn:
:rose2: <- in honour of the Rose Ball tonight...:D

:flowers:Us guys would love nothing more than to attend provided they turn off the lights which may already be the case if the whole thing is candlelit! Back to the numbers, from what I've heard here of the lands, châteaux etc that the family owns, they're in France and therefore subject to taxes there, no? A foundation is a great way to protect assets too. :whistling:

It's Longyearbyen, Norway and a link to an article on The Svalbard Global Seed Vault.

What did I ever do without you, Lady MacAlpine? :dizzy: Thank you once more! That site is the most amazing sign of human intelligence in a long time. It's daunting however the rapidity at which some plant species have been disappearing...
With recent talk of him turning his attention to the sea, a more available resource, I wondered if PA would ever consider the water current turbines used in the UK to generate electricity for the Principality? Or would that get in the way of pleasure boaters?:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

:)wow great video it was quite enjoyable great job. Does PA actually pic the subject matter and help making the video? Because it's a very professional and very well put together; coming from someone whose main job in life is not making movies.

Last edited:
Nice and interesting video, but what's with the doomsday music? Though I will say it is a nice touch and a great way to intimidate the heck out of people... PETA tactics have caught on I see.

This is a great way to alert to the problems of Global Warming

If people haven't heard of this issue prior to this video then there is a major problem.

Last edited:
Glistening Seas

:monacoflag::)does anyone have the article where another ice shelf just 'melted" a couple of weeks ago?? Thaaaat is a pretty serious affair, don't you think?? any opinions on this. :ohmy:

Great video and music. :flowers:And Albert is going now to Singapore to talk about envoromment again. Looking back I am positive that he really cares and wants other heads of states to care about environment too.

His toughest challenge is to convince these people along with others in the world, I mean in some peoples minds, capitalism is greater than some iceberg in Antarctica, hundreds of cute and fuzzy polar bears and their innocent cubs (just learning how to walk) dying of starvation, or the sudden disappearance of thousands of Salmon off the West Coast of the US.

Besides half of these people will be six feet under by the time "Doomsday" hits so in their minds... what the difference and/or big deal? They won't be there when it happens so it isn't their problem. Let the next generation or three deal with it... they're thinking more along the lines "How can I accumulate more money than I currently make?!"

Will Albert be successful in convincing these people and others in the present as well as future? Probably not. But I give him credit for trying. I'm sure some who are there are more interested in meeting a Prince and downing a few free cocktails at the open bar as well as munching on finger foods.

Last edited:
I guess the terms "performance philanthropy", and "high engagement giving" associated with today's New Rich haven't reached you yet. People nowadays are seeking results, and shunning the institutional type of charity fundraising à la Palm Beach and its Balls in favour of doing it themselves, with their own money. Not quite the same picture than cheapos at a free bar. Welcome to "Richistan":brows:

The Wealth Report - WSJ.com : Why Richistan? Why Now?

His toughest challenge is to convince these people along with others in the world, I mean in some peoples minds, capitalism is greater than some iceberg in Antarctica, hundreds of cute and fuzzy polar bears and their innocent cubs (just learning how to walk) dying of starvation, or the sudden disappearance of thousands of Salmon off the West Coast of the US.

Besides half of these people will be six feet under by the time "Doomsday" hits so in their minds... what the difference and/or big deal? They won't be there when it happens so it isn't their problem. Let the next generation or three deal with it... they're thinking more along the lines "How can I accumulate more money than I currently make?!"

Will Albert be successful in convincing these people and others in the present as well as future? Probably not. But I give him credit for trying. I'm sure some who are there are more interested in meeting a Prince and downing a few free cocktails at the open bar as well as munching on finger foods.

Frightening, that's what I think but it happens that Sir Arthur Clark, a dear man and author of A Space Odyssey said it best before dying: we have the power to turn back the downward spiral effects of Global Warming - if we try. He noted all the technology advancement of the last century alone and was confident disaster could be averted if we worked at it. We just have to shake the cage of those who stand in the way of addressing the problem, and we have a much better chance already. We will not annihilate in the next half century (God willing) and that should suffice to give us time to make headway. The sheets of ice could be readily addressed if emphasis was not on the manipulation of the weather through chem trails from passing airplanes, for instance. It's mind over matter, according to him. May he rest in peace :angel:

:monacoflag::)does anyone have the article where another ice shelf just 'melted" a couple of weeks ago?? Thaaaat is a pretty serious affair, don't you think?? any opinions on this. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Glistening Seas

:D oh-h-h-h lozenge i hope you are "right" about that "results" oriented with the philanthropics of todays generation. Glittering tiara's had a point about the complacancy that can affect some of us at times. However, i hope some of those "results" oriented Philanthropic's are reading the newspaper because another huge area just melted and the "currents have now changed was announced at that time. Once the currents "change" the trouble sets in like a snowball roller coaster and we all know "mother nature" when she pays the globe back she charges "interest" and everybody has to pay the price, unfortunately. Any opinions on this?:monacoflag::king4:

From the philanthropic end of things, it's already in practice: billions of people's personal fortunes, mostly American, are channelled to causes dear to them. We are talking the Berber couple (US based Irish Jewish actually) who alone is rebuilding Ethiopia through Glimmer. If PA puts his fortune to good use as his foundation states, with a focus on three essential areas of aid, then I'd say we'll get there. Mother Nature has a mind of its own, if you've read the Gaian theory by Sir James Lovelock. Things do happen for a reason.

:D oh-h-h-h lozenge i hope you are "right" about that "results" oriented with the philanthropics of todays generation. Glittering tiara's had a point about the complacancy that can affect some of us at times. However, i hope some of those "results" oriented Philanthropic's are reading the newspaper because another huge area just melted and the "currents have now changed was announced at that time. Once the currents "change" the trouble sets in like a snowball roller coaster and we all know "mother nature" when she pays the globe back she charges "interest" and everybody has to pay the price, unfortunately. Any opinions on this?:monacoflag::king4:

Last edited:
Glistening Seas

:)o-h-h-h lozange please, do tell, whaaat is the gaian theory?? even if it's just a little bit of it. we have never 'heard" of it, you see. :TRFrules: ohh don't just leave us "floundering" about without knowing. So, we can at least be a "little bit" enlightened. :)

Glistening Seas, you're to me such a sweet, sensitive creature but I reassure you, it's not all frightening. The Gaian Theory in principle says that Earth is a living organism that self-regulates; gases form in specific areas, and brings about change - not unlike today's pollution. Lovelock traced patterns of methane gas emissions for example that coincided with the extermination of certain species. As with today's pollution, behaviours are affected and the parallel to that would be road rage, or stress induced diseases also, when pollution finds entry into our living organisms. I hope I'm not extrapolating too far. I read it a long time ago. But the comforting thing is that unlike animal species we are THINKing beings, and should be able to apply ourselves to the solutions of our self-preservation by making the right decisions concerning our future.

Gaia hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)o-h-h-h lozange please, do tell, whaaat is the gaian theory?? even if it's just a little bit of it. we have never 'heard" of it, you see. :TRFrules: ohh don't just leave us "floundering" about without knowing. So, we can at least be a "little bit" enlightened. :)

Last edited:
I guess the terms "performance philanthropy", and "high engagement giving" associated with today's New Rich haven't reached you yet.

No, it has, but I love to watch the hypocrisy of it all.

People nowadays are seeking results, and shunning the institutional type of charity fundraising à la Palm Beach and its Balls in favour of doing it themselves, with their own money.

Correction: A extremely small fraction of people on planet Earth like to believe they are shunning the institutional type of charity fundraising etc. etc etc." It still happens, just tweaked to make it seem different for some certain guilible masses.

Not quite the same picture than cheapos at a free bar. Welcome to "Richistan":brows:

I disagree.

Frightening, that's what I think but it happens that Sir Arthur Clark, a dear man and author of A Space Odyssey said it best before dying: we have the power to turn back the downward spiral effects of Global Warming - if we try. He noted all the technology advancement of the last century alone and was confident disaster could be averted if we worked at it. We just have to shake the cage of those who stand in the way of addressing the problem, and we have a much better chance already. We will not annihilate in the next half century (God willing) and that should suffice to give us time to make headway. The sheets of ice could be readily addressed if emphasis was not on the manipulation of the weather through chem trails from passing airplanes, for instance.

Things happen...

Last edited:
Glistening Seas, you're to me such a sweet, sensitive creature but I reassure you, it's not all frightening. The Gaian Theory in principle says that Earth is a living organism that self-regulates;

Which is fine for the Earth but not necessarily for Homo sapiens; it sort of depends whether the self-regulation that follows all these emissions will make the planet habitable for humans. Course, Prince Albert has the same problem as Al Gore in his role as a spokesman about anthropogenic climate change - he's very vulnerable to charges of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
I thought I made also the case for the ability of man to curb the effects of Global Warming and stated the elemental difference between animal species and humans, in my post(s). While scientists are not recording today gases any more lethal than pollution, I'd further say we have a very good chance, provided we set our minds to it, to deflect the natural occurrence of extermination by an application of our intellectual resources towards a solution.

It's facile to shoot anyone down as a hypocrite, but can one do better in this case? To deconstruct is the stupidest thing, in the absence of alternatives. It advances no one. It's not the vehicle here, but the message we must hear. I am no fan of Al Gore, but am listening. In Canada, we have a brilliant scientist, David Suzuki, who has been warning us since at least the 70's. It's too important for pettiness, what's happening around us.

Which is fine for the Earth but not necessarily for Homo sapiens; it sort of depends whether the self-regulation that follows all these emissions will make the planet habitable for humans. Course, Prince Albert has the same problem as Al Gore in his role as a spokesman about anthropogenic climate change - he's very vulnerable to charges of hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Imposter prince?

Another prince apparently has taken up one of the causes attached to the PA2 Foundation: water, and he's a neighbour too...

Last night at the Pierre, the Versailles-Giverny Foundation held its annual dinner. (...)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/partypictures/04_16_08/diary/CIMG5152.jpg

fasten.gif
HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans, Duc d'Anjou, Barbara de Portago, and Gillian Fuller​

fasten.gif
Last night’s Guest of Honor was HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d’Orleans, Duc d’Anjou. (...)

The prince has also founded the St. Lazare Foundation financed by the World Society, an international think tank whose mission is to rationalize the problem of the planet’s future needs for water. “The future belongs to those who invest in it. The future is water.”

Sound vaguely familiar?

:ermm:

Source:Welcome | New York Social Diary

Last edited by a moderator:
Another prince apparently has taken up one of the causes attached to the PA2 Foundation: water, and he's a neighbour too...

Last night at the Pierre, the Versailles-Giverny Foundation held its annual dinner. (...)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/partypictures/04_16_08/diary/CIMG5152.jpg

fasten.gif
HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans, Duc d'Anjou, Barbara de Portago, and Gillian Fuller​

fasten.gif
Last night’s Guest of Honor was HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d’Orleans, Duc d’Anjou. (...)

The prince has also founded the St. Lazare Foundation financed by the World Society, an international think tank whose mission is to rationalize the problem of the planet’s future needs for water. “The future belongs to those who invest in it. The future is water.”

Sound vaguely familiar?

:ermm:

Source:Welcome | New York Social Diary

Thanks for the info. It looks like everyone is jumping on the band wagon. I guess time will tell who is really committed to the cause. The one who keeps a relatively low profile and I think is probably the most valid is one of the younger Rothchild. I can't think of his first name but I read an article on him not too long ago and he sounds very committed. Perhaps you will know his name.

What is PA doing today for Earth Day?

So what do members think? Was his latest event successful or not? Did he really accomplish anything?

I think he might be bringing a lot of attention to certain issues while trying to establish the groundwork for healing things in his own country ..

It has taken time to destroy the earth... it will take time to heal it.

At least he is making some positive steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom