PA2 & The Environment: Flash or Substance?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, people are divided over climate change. That's where a well-known personality like Albert can make a difference, either by supporting UNESCO etc., or by using his foundation FPA to support specific projects around the globe, e.g. The Poles, Water, or the Inuit....
Thanks for the thistle :)

Small 100 % electric cars by Mitsubishi will be introduced in Monaco by the end of 2009, first vehicles will be used for public service only.
Le Figaro - Automobile : La Principauté de Monaco va rouler en i MiEV
It is article and pic from Dec. 2008. I think the pic was already posted here.
Mitsubishi va tester ses véhicules électriques Ã* Monaco

Albert will go to California in October this year to receive award for his environmental efforts.
Imperial Valley News - Scripps to Honor Prince Albert II of Monaco for His Environmental Efforts

Glisten Seas

:flowers: Electric cars seem like they would be really fun to drive if they worked in the "cold". That's the only downside to them here we must say disappointedly.

The fact that PA is getting a second award is subperb for his outstanding work in the environmental causes. that's pretty cool. :rose:

I like to see Prince Albert engaged in this sort of stuff, though none of the jet-set crowd actually take their own advice (and I don't think anyone really expects them to). I am all for it because I think it will be good for everyone in the long run to have as little impact on the earth as possible. That being said, I tune out all the hysterics and I certainly don't think "the planet" is in any danger. It seems rather arrogant to me for humans to believe we are really that important. The earth has been here for something like 4 billion years and humans have only been engaged in heavy industry for the last 200. It is also true that about 25 different species go extinct every single day, regardless of anything we do (I mean, we're not killing ALL of them) and going to extremes to try to save and preserve every little organism is interference with nature too. I say, do what we can but don't go overboard with the "save the planet" stuff. The planet will be here long after we've gone the way of the dinosaurs.

i think that he is a little of both; on 1 hand he is substance but he is use to nice things and not a ruff it type of person-jmo but i have to say when he speaks french-wow but i have to say when any man speaks french it has the wow factor

Bones, I understand your point about biodiversity perhaps not being quite so important for many people.
But Albert's main concern seems to be the Mediterranean Sea.

Way back in 1994, FOROMED (Mediterranean Forum) was founded by 11 countries bordering the Med. This was followed by the Barcelona Process, initiated in 1995, which in turn was followed by the Barcelona Summit in November 2005.

Monaco became a member, and Albert is just one player in this grouping of countries, but he facilitated the Monaco World summit in 2005: The Euro-Mediterranean Area: Peace, Stability and Economic Development"
Euro Mediterranean Forum

For all these countries, looking after the "Encircled sea" is not just about environment, but peace and stability.

Glisteing Seas

:hellokitty: We are inclined to agree that PA does have a marvelous mastery of the French language!!!

:thistle:perhaps that is why PA is such a popular speaker at EU and places as such? :heartflower:

I think Albert's strength lies in networking - getting lots of people together in a common cause, and using the "cachet" of Monaco.

I believe that his engagement for conservation is "substance", rather than "flash" !

However I don't think that public speaking is his strong point. He is quite hesitant as an orator and has admitted as much on occasion. I have clips of him being very hesitant, and he prefers speaking American English, rather than French.

Glistening Seas

:hellokitty: Renata whaat is cachet? mean?? Not too familiar with the term?? But, we are inclined to agree with you PA is indeed good at getting people together. However, we are inclined to think PA is a good speaker. On the 'few' occasions we have heard him speak he has a wonderful speaking orator voice. which we tend to think it's why he is so popular with speaking at the EU and those places he does so all the time; in spite of PA not thinking he has strength in being an orator. We tend to think he probably doesn't realize he's as good as he is in that dept? Of course we all have areas which we perceive may not be our strength when it is our strength. :thistle:

Glistening Seas

:hellokitty: Oh That explanation really helped; Renata duly noted!! hee!

:thistle: The info on Cannes was indeed helpful as we knew that Cannes was 'important" but what the difference with the other film festivals wasn't fully realized But not surprising since Monaco has such a high degree of Culture in the Arts arena.

:thistle: Besides PA's wonderful Tie & hat collection which is of course being one of our favorite things about Monaco; is the wonderful collection of diversified cultural activities schedules during the course of any season!! :innocent: :cheers:

I forgot to say that the original meaning of "cachet" was "arrest warrant" :)

Glistening Seas

:lol: thaaat doesn't make any sense?!!! :lol: PA style is most definitely substance and not flash we would say! most of the concepts are good.

Glistening Seas

:hellokitty: This sounds like an intriguing movie
:tea: tuna is actually one of the fav dishes so it's truly sad that it's endangerd :popcorn:

Yes, people are soon going to be very surprised when there is no red tuna on the menu.
The PA Foundation is trying to negotiate with restaurants, food shops etc. to refuse to stock Red Tuna.
That's where PA can bring his fame, good name, and eco-credentials into play.

Glistening Seas

:books: This is indeed great news the forests of those areas are crucial to helping our globe from overheating:champagne:

"Conservation landscapes" could be any size from a few hectares to half a country, but the size of this grant is stunning!
Well done, PA !

I agree that donation is very generous and hopefully it will be used wisely.

The exhibition "Les Glaces Polaires pour les générations futures" at the Musée Océanographique de Monaco finishes on Monday November 10th.

The Eco-Art-Parade 2009 finishes on October 8th; it's been going since the Tour de France, and all profits go to the Fondation Albert II de Monaco.

An interesting article, With environmental change, Monaco has it easier, was written by Robert Monroe (editor of UCSD's Scripps Institution of Oceanography Explorations online magazine).

"The prince, who will be in San Diego Oct. 23 to accept the Roger Revelle Prize at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, can afford to focus on real problems. He was a major patron, for instance, of last year's Monaco Declaration, a statement signed by several of the world's leading scientists that detailed the very real threat to the world's oceans being caused by excessive uptake of carbon dioxide. That carbon dioxide converts to an acid in the oceans and the lowered pH is enough to disrupt the growth of a wide variety of marine organisms, including ones we rely on as food and ones that support the rest of the food web."

A very interesting contribution!
The comparison between President Obama's power (or lack of it) and PA's power is also interesting, though I wonder whether PA does not, at least at times, find it hard to convince everyone on the Conseil National of the need for change?

There is now a thread devoted entirely to the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation and its activities and events.

But PA's environmental activities are wide-ranging, well beyond his foundation, and that's where this "Flash or Substance" forum will continue to flag up all his other eco-concerns.

It will be interesting to see how much weight he can bring to bear at the Copenhagen summit on climate change in early December.

CleanEquity Monaco 2010

CleanEquity Monaco 2010

"CleanEquity Monaco offers optimal commercial and strategic acceleration for emerging cleantech companies by providing exposure to top-level delegates, from the investment, political, industry & media communities."

There are multiple organizations within Monaco that are supporting this conference.

Thanks, SM.

Some words from PA's speech which touched me:

"... I have long believed that my role is to testify and to act. In order to bear witness I have travelled to both North and South poles, meeting researchers and drawing attention to the evident effects of climate change. By way of action, in 2006 I created the foundation that bears my name..........
......It is now universally accepted that as human beings we live on a small, fragile planet with finite resources, and we must all act together to stop the damage being done, and repair our delicate global system....."

Good news for the Musée Océanographique !

Not only is the Museum already one of the three most visited sites in Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur (PACA).....

....it is also getting a facelift, in time for its hundredth birthday in April 2010.

The Museum will initially receive 2 million euro, then 30 million euro over 5 years.

PA will be pleased that the Monegasque government and Conseil National are willing to fund a full restoration of his great-grandfather's creation.

Monaco.maville.com Rocher : le musée revit !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom