The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I guess the terms "performance philanthropy", and "high engagement giving" associated with today's New Rich haven't reached you yet.
No, it has, but I love to watch the hypocrisy of it all.

Quote:
People nowadays are seeking results, and shunning the institutional type of charity fundraising à la Palm Beach and its Balls in favour of doing it themselves, with their own money.
Correction: A extremely small fraction of people on planet Earth like to believe they are shunning the institutional type of charity fundraising etc. etc etc." It still happens, just tweaked to make it seem different for some certain guilible masses.

Quote:
Not quite the same picture than cheapos at a free bar. Welcome to "Richistan"
I disagree.

Quote:
Frightening, that's what I think but it happens that Sir Arthur Clark, a dear man and author of A Space Odyssey said it best before dying: we have the power to turn back the downward spiral effects of Global Warming - if we try. He noted all the technology advancement of the last century alone and was confident disaster could be averted if we worked at it. We just have to shake the cage of those who stand in the way of addressing the problem, and we have a much better chance already. We will not annihilate in the next half century (God willing) and that should suffice to give us time to make headway. The sheets of ice could be readily addressed if emphasis was not on the manipulation of the weather through chem trails from passing airplanes, for instance.

Things happen...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozange View Post
Glistening Seas, you're to me such a sweet, sensitive creature but I reassure you, it's not all frightening. The Gaian Theory in principle says that Earth is a living organism that self-regulates;
Which is fine for the Earth but not necessarily for Homo sapiens; it sort of depends whether the self-regulation that follows all these emissions will make the planet habitable for humans. Course, Prince Albert has the same problem as Al Gore in his role as a spokesman about anthropogenic climate change - he's very vulnerable to charges of hypocrisy.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glistening Seas View Post
does anyone have the article where another ice shelf just 'melted" a couple of weeks ago?? Thaaaat is a pretty serious affair, don't you think?? any opinions on this.
Here's an article:

Antarctic Ice Shelf Disintegration Underscores a Warming World

You may find something in the In The News subforum in Members' Corner if you want to talk about it some more.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Gentry

I thought I made also the case for the ability of man to curb the effects of Global Warming and stated the elemental difference between animal species and humans, in my post(s). While scientists are not recording today gases any more lethal than pollution, I'd further say we have a very good chance, provided we set our minds to it, to deflect the natural occurrence of extermination by an application of our intellectual resources towards a solution.

It's facile to shoot anyone down as a hypocrite, but can one do better in this case? To deconstruct is the stupidest thing, in the absence of alternatives. It advances no one. It's not the vehicle here, but the message we must hear. I am no fan of Al Gore, but am listening. In Canada, we have a brilliant scientist, David Suzuki, who has been warning us since at least the 70's. It's too important for pettiness, what's happening around us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Which is fine for the Earth but not necessarily for Homo sapiens; it sort of depends whether the self-regulation that follows all these emissions will make the planet habitable for humans. Course, Prince Albert has the same problem as Al Gore in his role as a spokesman about anthropogenic climate change - he's very vulnerable to charges of hypocrisy.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Gentry

Imposter prince?

Another prince apparently has taken up one of the causes attached to the PA2 Foundation: water, and he's a neighbour too...

Last night at the Pierre, the Versailles-Giverny Foundation held its annual dinner. (...)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/...y/CIMG5152.jpg

HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans, Duc d'Anjou, Barbara de Portago, and Gillian Fuller

Last night’s Guest of Honor was HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d’Orleans, Duc d’Anjou. (...)

The prince has also founded the St. Lazare Foundation financed by the World Society, an international think tank whose mission is to rationalize the problem of the planet’s future needs for water. “The future belongs to those who invest in it. The future is water.”

Sound vaguely familiar?

Source:Welcome | New York Social Diary
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozange View Post
Another prince apparently has taken up one of the causes attached to the PA2 Foundation: water, and he's a neighbour too...

Last night at the Pierre, the Versailles-Giverny Foundation held its annual dinner. (...)

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/i/...y/CIMG5152.jpg

HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans, Duc d'Anjou, Barbara de Portago, and Gillian Fuller

Last night’s Guest of Honor was HRH Prince Charles-Philippe d’Orleans, Duc d’Anjou. (...)

The prince has also founded the St. Lazare Foundation financed by the World Society, an international think tank whose mission is to rationalize the problem of the planet’s future needs for water. “The future belongs to those who invest in it. The future is water.”

Sound vaguely familiar?

Source:Welcome | New York Social Diary
Thanks for the info. It looks like everyone is jumping on the band wagon. I guess time will tell who is really committed to the cause. The one who keeps a relatively low profile and I think is probably the most valid is one of the younger Rothchild. I can't think of his first name but I read an article on him not too long ago and he sounds very committed. Perhaps you will know his name.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Aristocracy

What is PA doing today for Earth Day?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalee View Post
What is PA doing today for Earth Day?
Not much.

He was named one of the winners in the annual U.N. Champions of the Earth awards. Prince Albert won the award for Europe.

Reuters article
Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

So what do members think? Was his latest event successful or not? Did he really accomplish anything?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Aristocracy

I think he might be bringing a lot of attention to certain issues while trying to establish the groundwork for healing things in his own country ..

It has taken time to destroy the earth... it will take time to heal it.

At least he is making some positive steps.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Aristocracy

I have read some of the documents available online coming out of his office, and he is really aiming high. I say within 10-20 years I think he will make Monaco the epi-centre of global green-care. It will be fantastic to see the legacy he leaves behind! He has also "hidden" his girlfriend for nearly two months so that the media could take his work more seriously and they really did. I think he has his personal life as his priority as all humans should and then the work of running his principality right where it should be. I think C-W also is an understanding and supportive person for his green concerns and all other work, and so it is possible for him to have balance in what will be a LOT of work in his future. He does not seem to fear losing his personal life in order to pursue what is important for his country. So he will always feel more encouraged to do even better with his GREEN plans!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Aristocracy

The Monaco Government recently completed the implemention of two solar systems at the Annonciade school complex - saving a total of 125 kWh/year of power (preventing 25 tons of CO2 emissions per year). This is a pilot designed to reduce consumption and to develop renewable energy. The government also recently introduced a State grant for the installation of solar power units (amounting to 30% of the total cost of the system). You can read more at:

Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Aristocracy

Great to know. Are there any additional sites to read from? Thanks!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Serene Highness

Smile Glistening Seas

whaaaat an exciting article to read. if anyone can make solar power work for them it's Monaco. they have such a high sunshine rate. the figures on the savings of oil consumption and energy are great.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Aristocracy

An interestng article, Tree that holds solution to fuel crisis and environmental conservation, on conservation and natural environmental efforts in Africa (Kenya) sponsored by Green Africa - one of the projects funded by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdouglas View Post
An interestng article, Tree that holds solution to fuel crisis and environmental conservation, on conservation and natural environmental efforts in Africa (Kenya) sponsored by Green Africa - one of the projects funded by the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation.
Thanks - great article. It's nice to see what Albert is supporting.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Serene Highness

Red face Glistening Seas

Looks like the Illustrious Pa is a man of many talents; indeed. Biodiversified fuel?? Does AnYoNe know if it's for car fuel or is it for something else. How many number of different uses can he find for this Jatropha oil? Certainly this is a side of Pa no one knew existed w-e-l-l bravoooo. Is this a clean burning fuel? Well, the answers to these questions is something everyone will want to know. greaaat
Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Albert's Foundation gave environmental awards to people from Israel.
$35K scholarships, that's nice award...

Breaking News - JTA, Jewish & Israel News

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Aristocracy

The article, One Drop Foundation and Prince Albert II Foundation Team Up for Access to Water in Honduras, discusses Prince Albert's foundation investing 300,000 euros (to be spent in a 3-year timeframe) in ONE DROP’s Access to Safe Water for the Communities of the Dry Tropics of Honduras project. The info is a little bit dated (early July), but I haven't seen it posted in this thread yet.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdouglas View Post
The article, One Drop Foundation and Prince Albert II Foundation Team Up for Access to Water in Honduras, discusses Prince Albert's foundation investing 300,000 euros (to be spent in a 3-year timeframe) in ONE DROP’s Access to Safe Water for the Communities of the Dry Tropics of Honduras project. The info is a little bit dated (early July), but I haven't seen it posted in this thread yet.
Thanks interesting article. I wonder, is there a list anywhere or in his foundation's annual report (do they post that on line?) where they list the organizations that that he has helped over the past year? I think it would be very interesting to see.