It's a boy and a girl: Prince Jacques & Princess Gabriella, December 10, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacques is not pronounced in French as Jack is in English. BTW I don't recall any English or French king ever being named Jacques, at least not as their reigning name. Is Jacques really a common royal name ?
Jacques is the French equivalent of James, ultimately originating from the name Jacob.
Jacques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

James is really royal name

Am I right and have I seen little tears at the end of his message?

Nevertheless he seems to be over the moon.

I read that Gabriella may come from the Savoy tree... any connection?

Actually the title of this thread should be:It's a girl and a boy"....if you want to be pickyof course :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a lot of Jacques king of England and Scotland, I give you an exemple

Jacques VI d'Écosse et Ier d'Angleterre — Wikipédia

and we had Kings of France who regned in France also in France

There was about all a prince of Monaco who called Jacques; yes Jacques was a really royal name.

I remember when Estelle princess of Sweden, a lot of persons were surprised because her name was Estelle and there was no Estelle in the royal family of Sweden, it was the widh of their parents and I respected this.
In Monaco, there were no Andrea and if charlene would heve no children , Andréa would be a futur sovereign called with a very common name and I don't remember someone saying, it is ont a royal name.

The proclamations of the births of the princes of Monaco prince Jacques, hereditary prince , Marquis des Baux end princess Gabriella second in the line of sucession comtesse de Carladès

https://twitter.com/jcholin/status/543007854844981249/photo/1

One of the two proclamations

https://twitter.com/search?q=Monaco&src=typd

Okay, so is Prince Jacques the Hereditary Prince or Crown Prince? What is the proper verbiage? We've always considered and called Princess Caroline Hereditary Princess but Albert II said that Prince Jacques was Crown Prince in video. I know there is no true difference, but just wondering what the proper title is.

Perhaps Caroline was Hereditary Princess because of her age and fact that she is the Sovereign Prince's sister? Crown Princess of Monaco would have been a rather odd title for her.

Jack does not mean Jacques. The English version of Jacques is James or Jacob. Jack in English is strictly a diminutive for John

I love the names! And honore especially. Prince Albert did a great job in the video I can't wait to see them. Blonde and blue eyed!

im eager to see them too... I know it will be too early to get some resemblances but if they took after their paternal side they are going to look beautiful... Albert and his sisters were simply gorgeous as babies...

I would have preferred Gabrielle to Gabriella, but that's just a personal preference.

I think Jacques is a fine choice. I was afraid it would be Rainier or Albert, names I have never liked.

I think that they should have named the girl Gabrielle, since Monaco's official language is French. I'm wondering what they will pronounce it...... Gabriela, like in Spanish?:ohmy:

I think that they should have named the girl Gabrielle, since Monaco's official language is French. I'm wondering what they will pronounce it...... Gabriela, like in Spanish?:ohmy:

Charlene will probably pronounce the name with english accent like": Gaebriella" while Albert and the french speaking are going to put the accent on the end: Gabriellà

Here are some pics of Prince Albert taken during the recording of the video message and the speech as posted above:

** mc: Texte du Message de S.A.S. le Prince Albert II **

My Dear Fellow Citizens and Residents of the Principality,

It is with great joy that I have the pleasure of announcing that Princess Charlene gave birth on Wednesday 10th December 2014 to one boy and one girl named:

- Jacques, Honoré, Rainier, who will bear the title of Crown Prince,
and
- Gabriella, Thérèse, Marie, Princess and second in the line of succession.

I wish to share this moment of happiness with the Monegasque people and more widely with all my country’s residents. These births further bolster the feeling of community that unites us.
I would also like to express my sincere gratitude to all those, in Monaco and across the world, who have expressed their attachment to the Princess, myself and my Family.

Thanks be to God for this blessing.

But eeerh.... in your country all Dukes, Marquesses, Earls, Barons, Baronets and Lords are succeeded by the eldest son as well, as the bulk of the Letters Patent are about the heirs male of the body with seniority in the same degree of parenthood.... What happens in Monaco is no different.

:flowers:

...ever heard of whipping a "dead horse"?

Jacques is not pronounced in French as Jack is in English. BTW I don't recall any English or French king ever being named Jacques, at least not as their reigning name. Is Jacques really a common royal name ?

Well, there has been a Jacques before as Sovereign Prince:

Jacques Ier François Léonor de Monaco, Duc de Valentinois, Pair de France born De Goyon de Matignon, Comte de Torigni, Sire de Matignon, Baron de Saint-Lô, Baron de La Luthumière, Baron de Hambye and Duc d'Estouteville (1689-1751).

Since WWII the name Jacques was given to 384.186 French boys, with that it is the current 32nd most existing name in France.

Okay, so is Prince Jacques the Hereditary Prince or Crown Prince? What is the proper verbiage? We've always considered and called Princess Caroline Hereditary Princess but Albert II said that Prince Jacques was Crown Prince in video. I know there is no true difference, but just wondering what the proper title is.

Perhaps Caroline was Hereditary Princess because of her age and fact that she is the Sovereign Prince's sister? Crown Princess of Monaco would have been a rather odd title for her.

It is Prince Héritier which is Hereditary Prince. I suspect for the "common public" (not so wel-informed as us, participants on this forum) the easy term "crown prince" is used. It is the same as saying "Coronation" and "crowned" for Willem-Alexander, Philippe and Felipe while there were Investitures in the three cases.

Last edited:
I belived that they could give the name of the little girl Patrícia...

I belived that they could give the name of the little girl Patrícia...

It is a lovely name but the monegasques are pretty conservative: all the six names of the twin babies appear in the genealogical tree.

Looking to the father and the aunts:

Prince Albert II Alexandre Louis Pierre
Princess Caroline Louise Marguérite
Princess Stéphanie Marie Elisabeth

All these nine names are not new in the genealogical tree. Even someone as Charlotte Marie Pomeline Casiraghi has no new names: Charlotte to her great-grandmother the Duchess of Valentinois, Marie to Lady Mary Douglas Hamilton and so many other Maries, Pomeline refers to Pomeline Frégose (Pommelina Fregoso or Campofregoso) who married Jean I de Monaco in the 15th C and became Regentess for her daughter Claudine.

Congrats to the couple

I was surprised that neither Grace of Patricia appear in Gabriella's middles names.

I do love the choice of Gabriella and Jacques as names

I am sure that Caroline and especially Andrea are delighted with the news of the arrivals as they no longer are immediate in the line of succession. I always felt sorry for Andrea he was not destined for the future role of Prince of Monaco and now he can lead a quiet life with his family

Am I right and have I seen little tears at the end of his message?

Nevertheless he seems to be over the moon.

I thought so too. He seemed very emotional at the end of his English speech! I am very happy for them and cannot wait to see the babies. I wonder how long we will have to wait!. I am not quite sure how long it took for pics to be released when Caroline and Stephanie had their children.

No there is nothing about the christening, the announcement spoke only about the presentation of the babies.

I hope we will have soon photos of the babies before the presentation of the babies.

Wow, that's a bit late but I am very sure we will see pics of the babies much sooner. I guess Charlene has to recuperate from the c-section, it can take a while..

Prince Albert was born on 14 March 1958 and baptized on 23 april 1958. When we take this example, Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella will be baptized medio January 2015.

Well, from now on, until Jacques takes over from his father, he will be more in the focus of the principality than his sister, I guess... That is the fate of a Number Two, despite being older.
Or perhaps the media will be as interested in following Gabriella in the 2030ies as they were focusing on her aunt Caroline during the 1970ies.

i'm slightly sad we will only see them in january, such a long time ago! is it not customary in monaco to pose for the media when leaving hospital, as it is done in spain, denmark, UK?

Wow, that's a bit late but I am very sure we will see pics of the babies much sooner. I guess Charlene has to recuperate from the c-section, it can take a while..

where did they say charlene had a c section? was this an emergency one or is it just routine to have a c section when having twins?

i'm slightly sad we will only see them in january, such a long time ago! is it not customary in monaco to pose for the media when leaving hospital, as it is done in spain, denmark, UK?

where did they say charlene had a c section? was this an emergency one or is it just routine to have a c section when having twins?

"customary"?

In all monarchies it is out of free will to pose or not to pose, to distribute pictures or not. It is really not "customary" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom