The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is not that simple. It is not that Prince Albert says "change it" and it is changed. The only fact that this tiny little dot in the South of France still is an independent state is directly connected with the position of the family ruling it for more than 700 years.

Besides the fact that the monegasques themselves have to agree in a change of the Constitution, there are three succesive treaties between France and Monaco, apart from other international treaties as the famous one of Vienna 1815. The changes in the Constitution of 2002 regarding the succession had to be approved by France. The interest of France is that Monaco extincts as a protectorate and becomes integral French territory when the succession is not exactly executed as agreed between the two countries. I can imagine that, after just a decade of a renewed Constitution, the Prince and the Government are not willing to open Pandora's Box once again.

I might be reading what you said wrong but Monaco was recognized as as Independent State and if the Grimaldi line dies out France can not come in and take it over as so many think.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
It is outrageous that this still happens though eldest British female royals can now inherit can they not? I think they said that if George had been a girl she would have succeeded her brother in line to the throne? Still bad that it's only sons that can inherit Dukedom's etc.

I love the name choices! They decided on the names and released so very quickly...I am impressed. They obviously has choices in mind and then decided quickly. It's difficult naming a baby though!
The only country with gender-equal succession in nobility (not in royalty!) is Spain but there the eldest female can voluntarily refuse to apply for vacant titles and leave it to her younger brother, if she wants to keep the family tree unbroken in male lineage.

Succession to titles in Spain is not automatic. The eldest son of the late Duchess of Alba has to apply at the Department of Justice for all forty-something vacant titles of his mother and payment of substantial fees is required whenever a title is inherited (so the new Duke of Alba has to pay a LOT for the titles). In some families there are feuds because an elder daughter wants to have the titles but the family treaty has left all valuables in a trust for the eldest male, causing that the historic title and the corresponding historic patrimonium becomes separated...

It is not that easy as it looks like. The Prince of Monaco also has large domains in France (the Château de Marchais in Picardy, Northern France). Imagine that the domains and properties are, by family treaty, assigned to the heirs male of the body, then the title Princess of Monaco and the personal wealth becomes separated with sister Gabriella and brother Jacques fighting each other. It needs a very close and lenghty review.

Note also that Prince Albert himself is younger than his sister Princess Caroline... meaning that Andrea Casiraghi would now be the heir and not Jacques or Gabrielle....

Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Happily there will be one more hereditary prince in the Europa of Gotha, there are five heir princesses and three crown heir princes, Prince Georges of Cambridge, Prince christian and now prince jacques.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Serene Highness

There is brilliant live coverage of this story on the Monaco Channel just now. I just watched footage of cannons going off and many residents flying the Monaco flag from their cars and beeping their horns in celebration. As I said it's live just now and one can sense the festive atmosphere. Enjoy!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Serene Highness

Happy news!

I didn't expect such classic names from Albert and Charlene. But I like them.

I think the title of this thread should change and switch Jacques and Gabriella as she is the eldest. Or is male primogeniture applied on these forums as well? :-)
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Happy news!

I didn't expect such classic names from Albert and Charlene. But I like them.

I think the title of this thread should change and switch Jacques and Gabriella as she is the eldest. Or is male primogeniture applied on these forums as well? :-)
Well, from now on, until Jacques takes over from his father, he will be more in the focus of the principality than his sister, I guess... That is the fate of a Number Two, despite being older.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Happily there will be one more hereditary prince in the Europa of Gotha, there are five heir princesses and three crown heir princes, Prince Georges of Cambridge, Prince christian and now prince jacques.
Well, technically Jacques is the only heir apparent and the three future male monarchs are not "equal" as per se in the sense that they're all from different generations. Jacques is son of a monarch, Christian is grandson of a monarch and George is great-grandson of a monarch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
Well said and I fully agree.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Incredible ! I am a twin myself born on another 10th of December !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a wonderful news !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
congratulations to the couple. it couldn't have been better, a boy and a girl.
This is moment which I wish Grace and Ranier could see. they would be so proud.
I agree, perfect combination, perfect family ! God bless them !
Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to the proud new parents
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

great news hope Charlene and babies are ok.
congratulation to the parents.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Aristocracy

Kathia Sophia: Prince and Princess Michael of Britain's daughter's name is Lady Gabriella Windsor.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really like the names too - I love that Jacques' American great-grandfather Jack Kelly is so honored; Grace would have been thrilled.

Gabriella is a lovely name.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to Parents and Grandparents!
Bienvenus au monde, Jacques and Gabriella!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Aristocracy

What a joy to wake up to such wonderful news. 😍 Congratulations to Their Serene Highnesses, and welcome to the world, Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques! 🐤🐤
Can't wait to see your first pictures...

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Maybe Gabriella will one day be heiress if the law is changed. Victoria was once in a similar position.

But the King (of Sweden) wasn't happy about the change, if I remember accurately.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 PM
Majesty

OMG...when I signed on this morning I knew the rumor was that Charlene had gone into the Princess Grace Hospital in labor, but I dismissed it. Now it's evening and I come home to....HSH Prince Jacques Rainier, Marquis des Baux and HSH Gabriella Comtesse de Carlades??! I am stunned but soo happy for the Princely Family!

"Jacques" is going to take some getting used to. I would have preferred "Rainier IV" but when I realize that the baby Marquis des Baux is probably named for his great-grandfather John B. Kelly it makes me smile. Good job, Charlene and Albert!

Finally...some happy news after the sadness of this week!
Old 12-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations to the couple! So nice to hear good royal news this week. And they chose lovely names as well.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful happy news! She did a good job holding on to them for so long. Do we have any birth weights?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is five pages about the births of the babies in Monaco Matin, the articles writtes that Princess Charlene had a cesarian, that there were rumors since some days that the birth may be on december 10th
Princess Stephanie arrived the first at the hospital around 7pm30 , , there were a lot of cars which entered and came out of the hospital and it is Andréa who closed the visits around 8pm30
Some persons in barNbar said that the brother of Charlene was with friends at the end of the afternoon but he was always at the phone and he left with a smile his friends around 6pm.

The newspaper described the joy of the people of Monaco.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Incredible ! I am a twin myself born on another 10th of December !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a wonderful news !
What a beautiful birthday present, dear compatriot I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

I followed the rumors untill I have left for class. We were not sure if it was certain if it was a boy and a girl or not. Because I had to go at a party afterwards, I asked my brother to text me the names. So when I saw Gabriella and Jacques I said "Huh?!" out loud. A friend asked me what was going on, and I told her the names. She looked at me very strangely. Being a royal-watcher is not trendy anymore
I don't like the names, Gabrielle would have been much more suitable for a monegasc princess than Gabriella , IMHO. And well, poor little Jacques, I hope other parents will be as inspired as P. Charlene and P. Albert and he won't be the only Jacques under 75 in Europe

But I must confess I'm really glad it's a boy and a girl, and that progemiture rule is still active. Not that I'm anti-feminist, but it's more simple. If it would have been two boys or two girls there would always be a question of who is really the eldest and the heir. And a boy and a girl, it's one of both and it's lovely. Congratulations to the parents

Queen Mathilde