It's a boy and a girl: Prince Jacques & Princess Gabriella, December 10, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kathia Sophia: Prince and Princess Michael of Britain's daughter's name is Lady Gabriella Windsor.

There are other royal families with Gabriellas, Gabrielles, and Gabriels
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium have a son Gabriel (2003)
Carl of Austria (heir) has a sister Gabriela (1956)
their sister Monika has a son Gabriel Casanova y Habsburga-Lorena (1983)
cousin M Beatrix of Austria-Este has Gabrielle Riprand v Arco-Zinneberg (1992)
cousin Carl Christian of Austria + Astrid of Luxembourg have a Gabriella (1994)
Astrid's brother Jean's daughter is Marie Gabrielle of Nassau (1986)
Astrid/Jean's nephew Prince Louis of Luxembourg has a son Gabriel (2005)
Eric of Parma also has a Marie Gabrielle (1982)
There are two Maria Gabrielas in Brazil (1959) and her niece (1989)
In that branch Pedro of Brazil also has Gabriel (1980) who has a Gabriel (2013)
In the other branch Francisco of Brazil has a Gabriel (1989)

Happily there will be one more hereditary prince in the Europa of Gotha, there are five heir princesses and three crown heir princes, Prince Georges of Cambridge, Prince christian and now prince jacques.

You forgot Prince Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein.

Wonderful news. I'm glad all are well. Just to add to the name comments - Jacques could be a nod to Princess Grace's father but it is actually the French for James and Jack is an old diminutive for John. I don't mind Gabriella - it's quite pretty.

I didn't know this had happened until I came on the forum this morning, there was nothing on the BBC etc. at all. Congrats to the family.

How disappointing that the princess is dumped into second place by the fact that she has a brother. I'm so glad that most other countries have acted to avoid such an injustice.

Only 2 hold outs left, Lichtenstein and Monaco, with Spain and GB on the path to changing the laws. At least Gabriella is in line, Lichtenstein still practices agnatic, daughters have no place in the line of succession.

Saddly in Lichtenstein, it is a personal matter. Hans Adam simply doesn't wish to change the house laws. Glad CG didn't have that power in Sweden, we all know nothing would have changed if he had a say. Sad that Hans Adam has no interest in allowing his daughters or granddaughters to ever have a place in line. Yes the house law is older then the principality as he pointed out in an interview, but times move on and things need to change. Unlike Monaco, the line of succession in Lichtenstein is a family matter plain and simple. It can change whenever the sovereign prince chooses. Hopefully his son may see fit to change the family law one day.

Congratulations to Albert and Charlene. I really love the name Gabriella.

Lovely news :)

[...]

I wonder where Charles and Louise came from? I much prefer the chosen names!

It were the safest bets as Louis and Charles are very regular names in the genalogical tree of the famille princier.

:flowers:
Well, technically Jacques is the only heir apparent and the three future male monarchs are not "equal" as per se in the sense that they're all from different generations. Jacques is son of a monarch, Christian is grandson of a monarch and George is great-grandson of a monarch.

Well said and I fully agree.

Just a question of time: Prince Jacques, Prince Christian and Prince George, all of them will be Heir one day, Deo Volente.

For the people having a problem with Prince Jacques 'robbing' his two-minutes elder sister from her place: we should not even rejoice the happy news for Albert and Charlène today. I don't hear the same people complaining that Albert has 'stolen' his sister's rights. After all, by gender equal succession the line was now:

0 la Princesse Souveraine de Monaco, Princesse de Hannovre
1 le prince Andrea de Monaco, Marquis de Baux
2 le prince Alexandre de Monaco
3 la princesse Charlotte de Monaco
4 le prince Pierre de Monaco
5 la princesse Alexandra de Monaco, Princesse de Hannovre
6 le prince Albert de Monaco
7 la princesse Gabriella de Monaco
8 le prince Jacques de Monaco

With other words... the complaints about Jacques having precedence above Gabriella are a bit subjective...

:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice names, so glad it's not Charles or Louise! Jacques and Gabriella sound much better and unique. Congrats to the couple.

I'm very happy the babies are one each... Now, I am a bit dissapointed because the girl was born first and I keep thinking how cute a hereditary princess Gabriella would be... I know that this was already expected but can't help that sort of thought... Hope Jacques will change that law one day...

I am very delighted with the names:

For the princess: I am really surprise about the name Gabriella and I like it since it is not a boring and arepetitive one... I prefer the french variation Gabrielle but I suspect this name was totally chosen by Charlene...It is quite graceful... Therese is not my cup of tea but it is classic and in french sounds good... I know that maybe Marie would have been somewhere.... Simple an traditional...

For the prince: I don't particularly like Jacque but given th restrict range of names for an heir the chose the best one IMO... The only name I don't like at all is Honorè and I sort of hoped the wouldn't not pick this up, but I guess they had to stick to the tradition... Rainier was obvious I think... a tribute to Al's dad...

All in all I like them and I give them credit for trying names that aren't much around in their family at the moment... (Only Marie and well Rainier)... I'd like to know if Gabriella is a name of Charlene's grandmas perhaps...

Never mind, hope to see them soon, and above all healthy... I hope Charlene can now rest at least for a week... C-section is always a surgery... no matter how much successful it is....

I'm over :D

Last edited:
A Boy and a Girl, so wonderful!
I am really happy for the couple and I am sending them my congratulations from the bottom of my heart!
BYe Bine

Honoré is one of the most frequent names in the genealogy of the famille princier. It means "the honorful, the dignified", in that meaning it is a nice name. I like it that the royal and noble families still use classic names like Gaston, Thibaut, Gaëtan, Eudes, Honoré, Jacques, etc.

So much better than Kylian, Kenzo, Dylan, Jason, etc.

... The only name I don't like at all is Honorè and I sort of hoped the wouldn't not pick this up, but I guess they had to stick to the tradition...

It is funny, because Honore is the name I like the most of the three.:) I don´t like Jacques or Gabriella very much, must say, especially Gabriella sounds strange to me (maybe because in my country it is very common, average name), but have no problem with them.
I am really looking forward to the first pics of the cuties!

What a magnificent news to know in the middle of a boring class. Congratulations to the couple! I'm so happy!

It is funny, because Honore is the name I like the most of the three.:) I don´t like Jacques or Gabriella very much, must say, especially Gabriella sounds strange to me (maybe because in my country it is very common, average name), but have no problem with them.
I am really looking forward to the first pics of the cuties!

I guess it is all a matter of perspesctive and how the name sounds in your own language... Gabriella pronounced in italina sounds very good... the translation of Honorè is very bad...and there is even a cake named honorè so it reminds me of that:lol:

Both names are beautiful :kiss:

Congratulations to very happy parents :baby: and God bless Monaco and its Princely Family

:monacoflag: :monacostandard:

:fireworks:

So finally, Gabriella and Jacques ...

Congrats to the happy parents and welcome to the little babies !

Jacques is becoming a trending name for catholic babies in France. I would rather have Gabrielle than Gabriella, but both names are quit chic, as we say here.

I'm very happy the babies are one each... Now, I am a bit dissapointed because the girl was born first and I keep thinking how cute a hereditary princess Gabriella would be... I know that this was already expected but can't help that sort of thought... Hope Jacques will change that law one day...
It was a caesarean. IMO there is no real "born first".
If there wasn't the male primogeniture then the doctor would probably have been told to take the male baby out first.:)

Big Joy at Monaco yesterday evening

Diaporama | Les carabiniers ont tiré quarante-deux coups de canons suivant la tr | Klaxons à gogo, coups de canons...: Monaco en effervescence pour la double naissance princière | Monaco-Matin

I prefer gabriella because Gabrielle or Gabriel is a name for girl an boy, same prononciation, Gabriealla is for only a girl , it is more feminine. and smart.

Jacques is said in englisk like Jack. There are many Kings in Europa who were called Jacques, in England and in France and in Monaco, there is a prince of Monaco happy .

Jacques will be the next prince sovereign of Monaco and not her sister Gabriella, i am not disturbed by this.

King of Sweden was not very happy whrn the parliament changed the law of sucession, Car Philip was already born . I am sure that it disturbed Carl Philip and perhaps it disturbed Victoria when she had the anorexia.

Ricarda, you are right it was aceasarean, the doctor has to take the babies out very quickly because they are in danger. It is a very quicky gesture and he does not have the time to think who will be the next heir.

the special documentary on Monaco channel yesterday evening

JT Monaco Info spécial naissance princière / Videos / Monaco Info : Le Replay / Chaines - MC Channel - Chaînes vidéos de Monaco

I don't think Albert had anything to do with Jazmin's naming.

I had no day in my step-children's names, but they were still taken into account when my children were born.

It may have played no part, they may simply have decided that a young Princess in this modern age will have enough comparisons to her Grandmother without a naming pressure, but it would be nice (imo) if it was thought about.

It was a caesarean. IMO there is no real "born first".
If there wasn't the male primogeniture then the doctor would probably have been told to take the male baby out first.:)

It's not the doctor who decides about who will be born first, but the babies. The baby which can be reached first will be born first. It's as simple as that.

Congratulations to the new parents and the whole princely family of Monaco! I'm happy that it's one of each but I have to get used to the names. Those are not the names I expected, but they are nice if you have had a while to get used to them.

I'm also hugely relieved that Grace isn't included. It's not easy to live up to the name of someone who get's whoreshiped from the whole world and if you really look at it very hard Gabriella could have only disappointed, no matter how hard she tried to live up to the memory of her grandmother. I'm happy her parents were wise enough to not burden her with the name and I really hope Kate and William will also be as wise as to not to burden a potential daughter with the name Diana. It's to early to give the names Grace or Diana in rememberence IMO.

BTW, I'm not unhappy about Jacque being the heridetary prince. In modern times like this when a lot has changed in royal houses it's nice to have a few things still unchanged here and there. Things that bring back a bit of fairytale glitter when it comes to royals.

I guess it is all a matter of perspesctive and how the name sounds in your own language... Gabriella pronounced in italina sounds very good... the translation of Honorè is very bad...and there is even a cake named honorè so it reminds me of that:lol:
The cake is named Saint-Honoré and it's delicious. Mind you Honoré is really old fashioned in French !:eek:

This is such a happy event
Congratulations to the couple!
Didn't expect those names, but they've chosen lovely names.
Jacques is a great name.

Well, in Paris we have the Rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, which is not only the street where the Palais de l'Élysée is located, it is also a very posh street lined with luxe boutiques, art galleries and Embassies. Very fitting for a Prince de Monaco...

:lol:

The French have a relatively classic taste in names, no Kayleigh or Keano. The most chosen boys names in 2013 were:

Nathan
Lucas
Léo
Gabriël
Timéo
Louis
Raphaël
Arthur
Hugo
Jules

It's not the doctor who decides about who will be born first, but the babies. The baby which can be reached first will be born first. It's as simple as that.
It can be manipulated if necessary. In this case it wasn't necessary.

The cake is named Saint-Honoré and it's delicious. Mind you Honoré is really old fashioned in French !:eek:

I know I know but it is the pictures that comes to my mind whenever I think of the name...:lol:

It is the only name I don't like though.... the others are all cute...

Prince Albert released a thankful message:
Albert II: "Je souhaite partager ce bonheur avec les Monégasques et les résidents de mon pays" | Monaco | Monaco-Matin

I guess the video will be available later...

Hope Charlene gets some sleep and rest...

Big Joy at Monaco yesterday evening

Jacques is said in englisk like Jack. There are many Kings in Europa who were called Jacques, in England and in France and in Monaco, there is a prince of Monaco happy .

Jacques is not pronounced in French as Jack is in English. BTW I don't recall any English or French king ever being named Jacques, at least not as their reigning name. Is Jacques really a common royal name ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom