The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronprinsessa-marl View Post
Small gift from Poland :)
very cute

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

In some shops of Monaco, I don't know if the link will work, it is on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ALBERT.CHAR...type=1&theater

An article about the births of Princess Gabriella and prince Jacques in paris Match blog

Albert II et Charlène - Dans leurs bras, l’avenir de Monaco

Old 12-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
In some shops of Monaco, I don't know if the link will work, it is on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ALBERT.CHAR...type=1&theater
hahaha, very cute too
I expect there will be much much more merchandize in days/months/years to come
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes, somewhere one has to start and indeed the Grimaldis started on "the rock" as a kind of warlords. In Genova the four families d'Oria, Fieschi di Lavagna, Spinola and Grimaldi were the most prestigious ones and also intermarried to maintain and strenghten their position. The Grimaldi family is really very interesting.
Thank you for the extra information, I didn't realise that about the four families. I've also read that the rulers of Monaco were Lords before they were Princes. Around that time, was Monaco smaller or larger than it is now? I don't know much about the Monegasque Princely Family's history so I think I will be doing some research.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Serene Highness

For history buffs, there is a book called THE HISTORY OF MONACO, PAST AND PRESENT by H Pemberton written in 1867. You can order it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

The Grimaldis fled Genoa because there was a fight between the lords as to who the real pope was. The Grimaldis backed what is now the Vatican (although they flip-flopped later on as to which was most advantageous to them). Monaco was a military outpost controlled by Genoa when they took it over. The French lived inland to avoid the constant naval attacks and pillaging. There were several Grimaldis settling all along the coast, including at one time Nice. Menton and Roquebrune went back and forth between Monaco and other countries for a long time. The two cities revolted after the end of Napolean because the Prince was excessively taxing them. It sounds like it was a peaceful cessession.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thank you for the extra information, I didn't realise that about the four families. I've also read that the rulers of Monaco were Lords before they were Princes. Around that time, was Monaco smaller or larger than it is now? I don't know much about the Monegasque Princely Family's history so I think I will be doing some research.
Monaco used to be much larger than it is now. It lost much of its land during the French revolution - never to be regained.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
For history buffs, there is a book called THE HISTORY OF MONACO, PAST AND PRESENT by H Pemberton written in 1867. You can order it on Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

The Grimaldis fled Genoa because there was a fight between the lords as to who the real pope was. The Grimaldis backed what is now the Vatican (although they flip-flopped later on as to which was most advantageous to them). Monaco was a military outpost controlled by Genoa when they took it over. The French lived inland to avoid the constant naval attacks and pillaging. There were several Grimaldis settling all along the coast, including at one time Nice. Menton and Roquebrune went back and forth between Monaco and other countries for a long time. The two cities revolted after the end of Napolean because the Prince was excessively taxing them. It sounds like it was a peaceful cessession.
FanofMonaco, I just wanted to say you're the best. I've been a member here for over a decade now and there are a handful of posters I follow because of their intelligence, humility, kindness, manners, neutrality, and politeness, and you're one of those. Keep up the good work!

Back on topic, I'm in love with the little ones, lol. Seriously, I've been a fan of multiples all my life. I can remember being 8 years old and going to my local library to check out the book "We Were Five". And to have my lifelong favorite royal family produce twins (twin heirs!) is the cherry on top. I have a feeling I will be following their every move, the same way I did Princess Caroline when I was growing up.

LONG LIVE JACQUES & GABRIELLA!!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the compliment Nadine. I too am looking forward to following all the new children. I thinks its great that several cousins are being born around the same time. Twins will be especially fun to follow.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

The town of Matignon celebrats the birth of the babies of principauty of Monaco
Jacques de Matignon married princess Louise de Monaco , he became prince Jacques 1 of Monaco when his wife died, he was prince of Monaco untill his son become prince Honoré of Monaco, for them it is an honour that the hereditary prince is called Jacques.

They put flags of Monaco in the Streets and they will also celebrat the presentation of the prince and princess in janurary 7th

VIDEO. La naissance des jumeaux princiers de Monaco fêtée en Bretagne
Old 12-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Aristocracy

Duc et Pair: Prince Ranier would be 93 now and Grace would be 86 as you wrote. As far as names for babies, Keanu Reeves is English from his mother and Hawaiian- Chinese from his father, thus Keanu means 'cool breeze& in Hawaiian. The correct pronunciation is 'Kay-Ah-New. I think the name is just a sign of his Hawaiian heritage.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

Prince Jacques for his american grandfather Jack kelly& gabriella well I have not tracked that down yet- congrats to the couple on their most beautiful creations
Old 12-15-2014, 02:02 AM
Courtier

Jacques is French for James not John or Jack so I don't think it's to do with Princess Grace's father. I believe that there is a Gabrielle somewhere back in the mists of time, possibly in the Polignac family.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

An article about the people of Matignon in Britain woring choths white and red the colors of Monaco in tribute to the new prince and new princess of Monaco

Matignon. Une nouvelle marque d'affection pour Monaco - Côtes-d'Armor - Le Télégramme, quotidien de la Bretagne

The entire ceremony of the 'actes de naissances' in the 'salle du trone'

Facebook gave only a very short resume of this ceremony. at the end of the ceremony, the prince Albert was very moved and seemed to have tears in the eyes

JT Monaco Info du vendredi 12 décembre 2014 / Videos / Monaco Info : Le Replay / Chaines - MC Channel - Chaînes vidéos de Monaco

article of Hello

Princess Charlene leaves hospital with twins Gabriella and Jacques - hellomagazine.com
Old 12-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdouglas View Post
Monaco used to be much larger than it is now. It lost much of its land during the French revolution - never to be regained.
I never knew that, thank you for the information. It would be interesting to see a map of the Monegasque area before the French Revolution, and a comparison of what it was like after the French Revolution.

I wonder if that is the reason why Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella's titles, Marquis de Baux and Comtesse de Carladès, are from French places (Provence and Auvergne respectively).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Serene Highness

At one time, Monaco continued to the Italian border. I think the titles are from different areas in France. I don't know where.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Earlier today I sent my congratulations via e-mail to the princely couple and I just got the reply!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

Has she left hospital yet?
Old 12-15-2014, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

It seems she has but no photos...
Old 12-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Administrator

No, there's no information yet whether she's still in hospital or has already left.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Sorry Iceflower, it was just speculation based on rumours and Monaco-Matin