Engagement of Prince Albert II to Miss Charlene Wittstock

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we please stop comparing Charlene to Grace? I mean, come on already. Pretty soon we're going have a thread about how Charlene puts mustard on her hamburger and how Grace would not have done that.

He only recently said he wants to concentrate on his career ... which is going to be for another 3 years. I see no sign whatsoever of William wanting to get married.

Well, his father dated Camilla for a long time before they wed...........

:ohmy:Sharlene does not have to attempt to step into Princess Grace's shoes. Grace's daughters have to do just that hopefully her grand daughters also. For the past years Grace's daughters have certainly made names for themselves. Charlene's Role Model is her own mother. In due course she should be able to create her own Brand of Ideas to Monaco and the world. Wishing her the support of the world peach.

Sadly, Princess Grace has been gone since 1982. This is a long enough period of time for a new princess to find her own way, make her own mark without having to stand in the shadow of a iconic princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the main board of TRF where the latest news are posted (newsletter titled Charlene Wittstock and Prince Albert - Why Now?), it states that CW swam for the University of Pretoria where she graduated. Wikipedia lists this information also and it seems that other online articles and news sources have picked this information up. Reading from the posts on this board, I was under the impression that CW dropped out of high school. So why is it then that she is suddenly listed an alum of the University of Pretoria? Any insight/comment would be helpful. Thank you.
In Alberts thread back in 2006 you will find a discussion about Charlene and the interview with Paris Match.

I found the Wikipedia sometime ago this is the source they got the info from someone wrote she swam for the University never that she graduated from it. I'm sure if she had graduated from college she never would have said she was a high school drop out a year later.

This is like saying she was a school teacher when what she did was have a few clinics to teach children to swim. In her interviews she said she bagged groceries in the evening and trained during the day. Its also listed she was a lifeguard which is possible while working with children.

Albert saw her for the first time in 2000 when he handed her flowers at the swimming competition. (see below) The next year same competition he approached her and asked her to go out with him. He gave her his phone number and told her if she ever got back to Monaco to call him. She lost the number and reconnected on New Years Eve 2006. Charlene gave a detailed interview with this information about the first meeting and date.

A quote from her first interview July 1, 2001.
The curvaceous swimmer said the 43-year-old prince approached her while she was standing in the food queue at the Tulip Hotel along with swimmers from Sweden and Canada. "He remembered me from the previous year when I won the 50m breaststroke and he had handed me a bunch of flowers," she said.
The first date is mentioned HERE.

If the press can get inserts of the first interview she gave they should be able to get the rest of the information correct.

Post 10
PM: The dream (body ??) learnt at the Sydney Olympics Games in 2000. What qualities have you develop to attain your purpose?
CW: Discipline, determination and concentration. I lived, ate, breathed, slept only for my passion. At school, my grades were not much important to me, the sport only counted. When you swim, you think only at the present moment. Even today, I am just like that.
Go back and re-read the old posts and you will find interviews and discussions. Each time she spoke to the press things changed somewhat.

I think it was a low key way of announcing the engagement so that the media wouldn't turn this moment into a circus. I'm sure they want to keep it as personal and private as possible.

They did well and I don't think the Australian media has shown any interest at all. The seems to have been no announcement here and that days papers were full of news of the Australian PM being stood down and nothing else. It still is!! Poor Al and Charlene don't rate a mention :nonono:

I forgot which source it was but a lady spokesperson (perhaps for Le Figaro?) said that Charlene has prepared for this role as far back as 4 years ago? That statement makes it sound like Charlene was "prepped" or calculated the whole move to Monaco and snaring PA's heart. It makes it sound more like a job than falling in love with a person who happens to be a sovereign prince.

Yes, it is a hard job to be a princess, isn´t it? Nothing can be left to improvisation. No spontaneity in this relationship, nothing out of control. It looks like it is very much calculated. Even her appearance has been changed.
I wonder why being prepared to be a princess has taken so much time and work. It is the simplest job in the world. Hand in awards, pose for photographs, smile, give the correct, predictable, studied answers. Or Charlene is slow at learning, or P.A was undecided.

Being a princess is probably the most difficult job in the world.
Being a princess takes that amount of time, because it is a hard job, Albert was obviously thinking about her becoming his wife a long time ago, else why would she have this training?
Plus whoever this information came from, is probably just jumping on the engagement bandwagon and trying to get a story in there.

Let them be happy.

It depends what your perception of hard work is. Having worked with hardened criminals, rapists and drug dealers etc etc etc, I dare say being a princess would suit me down to the ground. :D As a former Olympian where one requires excessive amounts of self discipline I doubt Charlene needed 4 years prepping.

Being a princess is probably the most difficult job in the world.
Being a princess takes that amount of time, because it is a hard job, Albert was obviously thinking about her becoming his wife a long time ago, else why would she have this training?
Plus whoever this information came from, is probably just jumping on the engagement bandwagon and trying to get a story in there.

Let them be happy.

:previous:Amen to that. I am also amazed that all of this preparation was going on for so long without anyone 'spilling the beans' about it. I will admit I have never been completely 'sold' on Charlene but I cannot undestand the level to which so many people seem to want to believe the worst about her or try to twist any little bit of information into something negative. The Prince has made his choice, I trust him to know what sort of person she is better than anyone else, and I wish them nothing but the best good fortune as they go forward together. I think it is admirable that she has put in so much time and effort in preparing herself to be the best princess consort she can be. It is certainly not an easy job and, as has already been seen, her "job" will be even more difficult still because of the endless comparisons to Princess Grace -just as Prince Albert predicted it would be long ago.

Monaco has had a number of French and Italian princess consorts, one Belgian, one British and two American consorts. Now, with Charlene, Monaco will have its first African princess (two "colonials" in a row;)).

I do hope everything works out for them and that their marriage is a success in every way --I want to hear the guns at Ft Antoine firing again:D!

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

I've been away for 5 days and Albert got engaged??! :ohmy: Wow! :D

Same for me, it left me speechless that it had to happen just during
the week of my summer holidays and I wasn't here..:D

One may be shocked, surprised or even disappointed, there seems to
be lots of need for discussion but after all and whatever your personal
opinions are: these are fantastic news for a wonderful and beautiful
couple in love - congratulations! :flowers:

As far as I am concerned their new life starts today.
She is not from a millionaire family like Kate Middleton so what ... Albert loves her and thankfully does not have to ask anyone's good/bad opinion on this forum. If they don't like her I am sure he won't be loosing any sleep over that. I am sure she will have a wonderful life with him.

Angieuk, I have the same hopes as you regarding the couple. They seem very comfortable with one another, and CW is the right person to help PA with his rather hesitant way of speaking. He seems to be a well-meaning man.

The age difference is an issue. say, a child comes along in a year or two, by the time s/he is eleven or twelve, PA would be sixty.

Monaco needs glamour, it's been needing it since Grace past away. Grace had stayle she didn't need a stylist. Grace was sweet and loving. I understand Albert is trying to show the world the right way to live blah blah but marrying a sports woman isn't the answer.....Love is! I don't get how she won the Prince's heart. I don't see the love I just don't.

Monaco needs glamour, it's been needing it since Grace past away. Grace had stayle she didn't need a stylist. Grace was sweet and loving. I understand Albert is trying to show the world the right way to live blah blah but marrying a sports woman isn't the answer.....Love is! I don't get how she won the Prince's heart. I don't see the love I just don't.

Well they obviously do, else they wouldn't be getting married.
Your basically saying that you want Albert to marry a mini me of his mother. Which is not okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

What's wrong with being a "sports woman"? She has nothing to be ashamed of for being athletic and accomplished in athletics. I love to swim and have always been a water baby, but I could never swim at a competitive level -- that takes far too much stamina, dedication and perseverance that I just don't have. She has those things; they are admirable qualities, not something to deride her over.

Also, for the love of Pete......STOP COMPARING CHARLENE TO ALBERT'S LATE MOTHER.

Also, for the love of Pete......STOP COMPARING CHARLENE TO ALBERT'S LATE MOTHER.

People won't stop doing it Sister Morphine, just like you, I think it is ridiculous and there is no need for it.

Charlene is an sportswoman, and that's great. As Sister Morphine said, she has admirable qualities, that not everyone has. It's not easy to be a olympic swimmer. So i can say i admire her for that. It's more important the persistence and perseverance she might have thanks to swimming that her fashion sense...i mean, come on! Fashion is only clothes. And...yes, elegance, style...two different things.

People won't stop doing it Sister Morphine, just like you, I think it is ridiculous and there is no need for it.

Yes we should leave the dead in peace. No comparisons should be made to the past or Grace's accomplishments, style, brains, class. No lets not go there. So when William or Harry get engaged lets keep it in mind and not compare them to Diana either.

Now for the present. Do let's compare her to CP Mary, or Leitizia, or I think Mette Merit might be a closer comparison. Back ground, degrees, style, intelligence, and most importantly what they bring to the table --- oh I forgot what's love got to do with it. I think that covers it.

People, I see this withuot fanatism but I know some of you are REALLY pro monarchy, and by some commentys here i realize you enjoy following these people´s lives, and probably dreaming about what you will never have. But princess fairy tales are for children.
This woman Charlene, not only never worked but never will. She will have chauffers, nannies, servants, free credit card, travels, expensive clothes, and all she will have to do is SMILE.
To say that the princess´job is the hardest in the world is disrespectful to millions of people who really have to get up early to work the whole day!!!

As far as I am concerned their new life starts today.
She is not from a millionaire family like Kate Middleton so what ... Albert loves her and thankfully does not have to ask anyone's good/bad opinion on this forum. If they don't like her I am sure he won't be loosing any sleep over that. I am sure she will have a wonderful life with him.

Well said. Albert didn't ask our permission to become engaged to her, but I bet he asked advice of others who are MUCH more attuned to Monaco itself before doing so. And, as a cautious person, I would say he's given this ample thought.

Grace was in a unique position. She was already famous when she married Rainier. She brought glamour and publicity to Monaco which it needed at the time. She put Monaco on the map!
Even so Grace was not accepted by the people of Monaco at first. She had to win them over.
It's not fair to compare Charlene to Grace. We'll have to see what she brings to her new role.

I agree! It's not fair to compare Charlene to Princess Grace. There will never be another Princess Grace for all eternity. Charlene deserves a chance and obviously Prince Albert is very happy with her in order to marry her. She is her own person and might become the shining star of Monaco.

People, I see this withuot fanatism but I know some of you are REALLY pro monarchy, and by some commentys here i realize you enjoy following these people´s lives, and probably dreaming about what you will never have. But princess fairy tales are for children.
This woman Charlene, not only never worked but never will. She will have chauffers, nannies, servants, free credit card, travels, expensive clothes, and all she will have to do is SMILE.
To say that the princess´job is the hardest in the world is disrespectful to millions of people who really have to get up early to work the whole day!!!

1. I'm not pro-monarchy, I live in the United States. I find monarchy interesting because we don't have any.

2. I don't enjoy following royals here on this site because I'm "dreaming about what I will never have". I follow royals here because it interests me and it's nice to have a place to talk about it with other people who are also interested in it. Yes, these people are fantastically wealthy and will never have to worry about paying bills or keeping a roof over their heads, but they also give up a lot in privacy and dealing with the paparazzi so in that respect....I don't want what they have. They are content to keep it.

Happiness is an elusive thing few men/women seem to find t.

:ROFLMAO:Riches, One's Position whether king, President or heir/heiress to wealth, do not always bring happiness. "Happiness is an elusive thing few men/women seem to find it."

While everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, I have a couple of observations:

1) Charlene is not Grace and will never be Grace. We all need to come to terms with it. Grace wasn't Grace when she first arrived in Monaco. Its hard living up to a legend, as her daughter, Caroline discovered as well.
2) Speaking of Caroline, I would imagine that Caroline is okay with no longer being First Lady of Monaco. If she could maintain her charity work along with raising her children, and pitching in every once in a while in Monaco but not necessarily living there...she would be okay with that.
3) The lack of official duties (or at least a number of them) in Monaco by the Casiraghi Trio makes sense now. They certainly show up for the important dates but by and large they pretty much have lives outside of Monaco.
4) I am simply AMAZED that people have made major assumptions about Charlene and Albert's relationship based on the press and pictures. Are these pictures similar to the ones in Harry Potter's world where they talk? Not to be facetious...but how does one know that Charlene only wants to marry Albert because of who he is? Did a picture tell us so?
5) The presence of Charlene at the Sweden wedding also makes sense. Its apparent (at least to me) that the Swedish court knew something was going on. Bravo to Charlene and Albert for not trying to take away from Victoria's day.
6) People are assuming a lot as it relates to who will and will not attend the wedding. For the record, some of the royals who attended Albert's enthronement were Victoria of Sweden, Sophie and Edward from Great Britian, Faisal of Jordan, and i believe Alois and Sophie from Lechenstein (I don't follow them on a regular but I believe thats who they were). Certainly not a lot came but its also important to remember that a lot of royals were just in Monaco for Rainier's funeral. And he certainly warranted the presence of several reigning monarchs.

Just a couple of random thoughts I had as I peruse the thread.
Well said Zonks. I'm tired of the prejudices and unjust allegations against Charlene. Come on, give the girl a break! Why do people keep bashing her that she has no education and no proper job ? Princess Diana was not noted as academically brilliant. In fact she failed in all her subjects in 0 levels and took a job as a kindergarten teacher yet the public adore her. She married Charles after a very short courtship and nobody accused her of trying to marry title and money. The same can be said of Princess Grace. So what's wrong with Charlene ? She is not illiterate ; she worked as a youth worker. Why then is she accused of hunting for fortune and title . I think she looks fabulous --- always stylishly and elegantly dressed and carries herself with poise. None of the crown princesses nowadays are born to the role of royal duties. They will learn in time. We should just keep an open mind and be more tolerant.

She does not strike me as a gold digger.
Albert is a billionaire. He may well have given her a substantial amount of money. If so, why would she still be around?

I think I may have the photos of CW with a cigarette leaning over the balcony. In this photo, it looks like she's taking a drag off Pierre's Marlboros. Is this the photo?
Sorry, I don't know how to post.
post 270

First sighting of Charlene February 10, 2006, Thread 17 doesn't have a link to 18
, This is her first thread. March 15, 2006 full of articles and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom