Engagement of Prince Albert II to Miss Charlene Wittstock

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows how they act together, privately. Some people are very shy and aloof when in public. Albert is also 52. He is no longer at the drooling, pawing stage of life. Grace and Ranier hardly knew each other. There, certainly, was no love there. She wanted to be a princess, and he, like Albert needed a princess. They seemed to have a good life, together, afterwards. Let the couple alone and plan their wedding.

People marry for different reasons, and I hope the couple are happy together. I don't see her to be on the same level as Grace Kelly. Grace was already a hollywood star before she even came to Monaco. Aside from Charlene trying to be a look-a-like of Grace, what else does she bring to the role as princess? There is no gravitas to Charlene.

Okay, so she might be regarded as a lightweight by some, and others feel that this is (almost) a type of arranged marriage, or a "dodgy" one, for whatever reason.

As none of us have ever seen/heard Charlene, we can't really be sure about our opinions on the matter.

Perhaps in the months to come, we might see some interviews which may help us to form an opinion on this match.

Until then, perhaps we could give them the benefit of the doubt ???

People marry for different reasons, and I hope the couple are happy together. I don't see her to be on the same level as Grace Kelly. Grace was already a hollywood star before she even came to Monaco. Aside from Charlene trying to be a look-a-like of Grace, what else does she bring to the role as princess? There is no gravitas to Charlene.

What does that mean? What is a Hollywood Star have to do with anything? (..) I don't think Charlene needs to be a look-a-like. She is beautiful in her own right. What did Grace bring to the "role"?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does that mean? What is a Hollywood Star have to do with anything? (..) I don't think Charlene needs to be a look-a-like. She is beautiful in her own right. What did Grace bring to the "role"?
Grace already being a movie star brought an energy to Monaco that wasn't there before Grace came. I don't think that Charlene brings the same energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grace already being a movie star brought an energy to Monaco that wasn't there before Grace came. I don't think that Charlene brings the same energy.

Being a move star is a special thing because they have a mysterious aura about them. Thats what Grace brought to Monaco. Charlene doesn't have that same star power. She doesn't have the kind of aura that makes you want to know more about her. She doesn't have that ability to "draw" people to her. But all hope is not gone. I think everyone should give her some time to mold into her role and maybe she has a surprise in store for everyone. She may be the best thing that ever happened to Monaco. We'll just have to see:flowers:.

Nonsense. The locals were not too receptive to her coming. An American and an actress. You are looking from the wrong side. She did bring with her a following and her own charm. Not everyone can be an actress. Maxima, Mary and Mette-Marit all were less exotic, yet they have brought a refreshing air to their jobs. Give Charlene a chance. She is beautiful and elegant. She will learn her role.

Might we know who sent congatulatory telegarams or or e-mails to Charlene and Albert?How is that done these days.? which royals.?

Let's go back to the early 1950s, and an austere post-war Europe.

Rainier did himself a favour by luring a Hollywood star to his dwarf state. He also did everyone a favour by creating a unique event that, through this thing called television, lifted the whole of Europe (and the rest of the world) out of its gloom.

I don't think for a moment that PA's wedding will repeat this, but it will, to a large extent, counter the economic downturn in the Principality and the surrounding area.

The "Prince Albert wedding" will bring plenty of tourists to the PACA (Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur) region, starting now.

Might we know who sent congatulatory telegarams or or e-mails to Charlene and Albert?How is that done these days.? which royals.?

"When oh when" are the people on this forum going to understand that the Princely family of Monaco is NOT royal? They are Serene not Royal highnesses.
Princess Caroline is royal because she married a royal and her daughter Alexandra is but the others are not.
Charlene is no Grace she will have to make her own mark, so far she just looks dignified and that is about it, I hope that the role of wife of the sovereign of this very small and wealthy principality will give her happiness and, of course, a legitimate heir to it.

Why do people have to say 'She is no Grace'? Of course she isn't, she is Charlene and should be respected for it. Nobody should expect her to be Grace she should be accepted for who she is and what she can bring to the principality which we will see in time. How can we judge her when we only see photos at certain events? When she is an official member of the princely family then we will see what she is capable of. And one more thing, how can we say she is trying to be a Grace look-a-like? Because her hair is the same colour? Oh yeah practically identical:ROFLMAO:

"When oh when" are the people on this forum going to understand that the Princely family of Monaco is NOT royal? They are Serene not Royal highnesses.
Princess Caroline is royal because she married a royal and her daughter Alexandra is but the others are not.
Charlene is no Grace she will have to make her own mark, so far she just looks dignified and that is about it, I hope that the role of wife of the sovereign of this very small and wealthy principality will give her happiness and, of course, a legitimate heir to it.

I think that Jaya was asking which royals had sent congratulations to the couple, not that the princely family were royals.

I've been away for 5 days and Albert got engaged??! :ohmy: Wow! :D Congratulations to the couple - great news!!! Looking forward to this wedding!!! :flowers:

If the Grimaldis aren't royalty why are they listed as such in the Gotha? I thought that was supposed to be the definitive guide on european royalty and has been around for centuries.

Why do people have to say 'She is no Grace'? Of course she isn't, she is Charlene and should be respected for it. Nobody should expect her to be Grace she should be accepted for who she is and what she can bring to the principality which we will see in time. How can we judge her when we only see photos at certain events? When she is an official member of the princely family then we will see what she is capable of. And one more thing, how can we say she is trying to be a Grace look-a-like? Because her hair is the same colour? Oh yeah practically identical:ROFLMAO:

Great post - I agree she should be allowed to be Charlene - I don't want her to be a clone of a past royal.

IMO most of us would be a bit upset if someone expected us to be exactly the same as our mother in law (living or past) so why is it seen as beneficial if you are marrying royalty - both Charlene and Kate Middleton seem to be having this issue. We are all unique individuals and cannot be someone else however much we try even if the person we are expected to be is seen as an icon.

Personally I believe we should give Charlene a go and judge her by her own actions not what we believe Grace would have done.

This engagement is a huge surprise to me. I thought Albert would never marry. Congratulations and all the best to them, though Charlene doesn't look too happy at times.

My, my , my! I wouldn't espect this any more! I supposed it should never happened. One never knows people deeply! :ROFLMAO: I've always believed that Prince Albert should die as a single man! :lol: I'm relieved and happy. I was wrong and I'm not ashamed to accept it, for I'm so happy with these news that all other feeling about Albert and Charlene are gone by now. I'm just THANKFUL!!! :angel::heart::clap::royalrobes::fireworks::fireworks:
Vanesa.

Nice fireworks. :flowers:

Fürstin TaxisI hope it will be glamorous! ;)

I too hope it will be glamorous day. I'm so looking forward to the wedding. :flowers:

:monacoflag:

I'm not at all surprised it came to this. Charlene is a lovely woman and perfect as next great princess of Monaco. If there is any such thing. I personally find the superficial culture of Monaco vulgar and expect Charlene will make a difference with her softness and natural charm. :king3:

Don't forget Grace died in 1982...young people haven't even known her.
So a lot of people won't even make the comparison....and by the way every person is unique and I can't imagine why Charlene would not be extremely popular.
Obviously she knows how to behave in Royal circles, she has already proven it !

Hi Jaya. I agree with you. You desrcibe very well CW. It is true that she has a normal background. However she isn't a typically bride like Letizia, Maxima or Mary. She lacks a lot to things. Especially the education.
Of course she can learn and will learn the protocol, French and some necessery knowledge to furfill her duties. I don't envy her because she always wanted to be part of this 'huge buisness'. That is why he has braved
the toughest critisisms. She knew it this her only chance to survive.
Nothing is waiting for her in her home country. Unfortunately she never had income on her own. Maybe she had some money thanksful to her swimming results until 2005. Her job as swimming teacher was occasionally. She has no degree ( she studied some semesters at a college but she didn't finished it), she never had a full time job. She was a quite successful swimmer in her home country but she never was a worldwide acknowlegded athlete. The biggest bless in her life was to meet PA in 2001. She used this oppurtinity to win the sympathy of PA. I don't know that PA loves her but it is sure he likes her. He accepted th facts and situation: he is getting older, he shoud marry to produce legitime heirs
and he finally decided to make this necessery step . Charlene accepted this situation as well she will do her best to furfill her duties. She wanted this position. However she won't be the new Grace. She will be next Princcess Consort of Monaco. Grace is a legend. She doesn't have mistakes, she is a beautiful memory and and can be replaced. Charlene is a woman ,she is human .. she can't complete this facts.

Ps. Maybe I was a little rude, however i think that is my point of view.
I wish them happines. It is sure that Charlene suits PA but she is not who I imagined for this role.

In other words... she's an oportunistic woman:nonono: and he's a man who doesn't seem to be brave enough to fight for a true love:nonono: ( if he ever had one ) like his sisters did ( with all the consequences that followed ), like all actual european crown princes did. Blah! They're good for each other... :angry: :angry: :angry:
I'm with you Timea83

Why are people losing their marbles over this engagement? People are coming up with rather funny rationale for something that's beyond their control. Here are a few points people are forgetting:

1. Albert and Albert alone can choose a bride
2. Since he cannot marry his own sister, she was bound to take back seat to his wife at some point
3. His mother is dead and not coming back no matter how beautiful she was

Statements such as: "She knew it this her only chance to survive" or "he's a man who doesn't seem to be brave enough to fight for a true love ( if he ever had one )" are not only reaching, but rather dramatic and presumptuous. I don't wish to prevent people from expressing their opinions, but with all due respect, a simple I don't like Charlene and will her give her a vote of no confidence would do. Apologies if I sound too preachy.:ohmy::sad:

Lighthouse, I agree with your comment about Monaco as a superficial place.

The Monegasques are, on the whole, "normal" people, but the glitterati and the super-rich will probalby not give a fig for Charlene, and perhaps even PA, despite all the right noises (and deeds) he makes in their favour.

If the Grimaldis aren't royalty why are they listed as such in the Gotha? I thought that was supposed to be the definitive guide on european royalty and has been around for centuries.

One can use the term royalty in a loose manner, simply as anyone who is an aristocrat, or more closely as those who have a ranking of "highness". However, the most specific use of the term relates to the family members connected to a kingdom and king. Monaco is a principality, not a kingdom, and Monaco's family is a princely family not a royal family. Albert is of Serene Highness, not Royal Highness.

Unless I am mistaken they are listed as a families which have held hereditary sovereign status, and they are. Gotha do not differe between Royal houses and other with sovereign status as the princely family of Monaco,Grimaldi.
A sure sign if a familly is royal or not is to check if the rulling member of it is a King or Queen Regent, if so they are royal otehrwsie they are not.

Queen Elisbeth II
King Carl XVI Gustaf
Prince Albert II
can you se the pattern?

Don't expect any of the British Royal Family to show their faces at this wedding, apart from possibly Edward and Sophie! For some reason the British Royal Family seem to steer clear of all the European Royals. Why, I have no idea maybe more snobbery. Charles attended a few weddings but he looked so uncomfortable and left as quickly as possible afterwards.

I am sure when Grace Kelly married in the 1950's, none of the British Royals attended the wedding. Go figure as they say! I think Charlene looks to be a lovely lady.

The gotha does makes distinctions, such as sovereign houses and mediatized houses, but I think the real issue that people are concerned about is that Albert is not "His Royal Highness" and the Grimaldi are not addressed as "The Royal Family of Monaco". Albert is "His Serene Highness" and they are "The Princely Family of Monaco". The adjective royal, in the most specific and definitive sense, means of or relating to a king, as would imperial imply of or relating to an emperor.

Jaya if you meant which royals sent telegrams as Lumut said, I am sorry I made the mistake, but it is very annoying that on as forum about royalty some people find it so difficult to understand the difference between a Principality and a Kingdom. Janb has demonstrated this very clearly in her post, and this should be obligatory reading for all those still in doubt on this thread.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom