The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Somewhere in the last 28 pages and 555 posts people have said Charlene graduated from the University of Pretoria. As I stated before in Charlenes February 2006 interview to Paris Match she clearly said she left home at 17, she didn't do well in school all she wanted to do was swim.

Below are the facts:

She left her Durban-based team (the Seagulls) to join the Tuks Swimming Club at the High Performance Centre at the University of Pretoria. She was never enrolled for any academic courses at the University of Pretoria and therefore never graduated from the University; the Club sponsored her by providing her with free access to their pools, free coaching, accommodations, and gymnasium access. She decided to leave Pretoria in January 2005 and returned to Durban; she then went to the north coast of KwaZulu Natal, where she joined a former Tuks Swimming coach, Brannislav Ivkovic.

Before anyone asks how I know this is fact I contacted the University telling them exactly why I wanted the information, to update Wikipedia and stop speculation on Forums. That is the truth and with the help of two friends the Wikipedia page is updated. The press has not been fact checking and people who post on Wikipedia aren't checking sources either.
Yes let us clear that up once and for all in case some academics who actually spent years attempting to get their degrees read it and get a false notion about Charlene . Thank you Lady Mac.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Serene Highness

She didn´t even finish school?? What?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She finished it up to the point of university education, then she started her swimming.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
She finished it up to the point of university education, then she started her swimming.
Sorry, not unless she did it in the last 4 years and forgot to tell someone. In her own words she dropped out and left home because the drive to train was 2 hours away and she had to do it before school.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Sorry, not unless she did it in the last 4 years and forgot to tell someone. In her own words she dropped out and left home because the drive to train was 2 hours away and she had to do it before school.
So did she finish High School? Or whatever the SA equivalent is?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps this will help: The education system of the Republic of South Africa.

Education in South Africa - SouthAfrica.info
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So did she finish High School? Or whatever the SA equivalent is?
Not unless she did it since her interview in 2006.

ETA: the only record I have been able to find is she attended Tom Newby primary school in Benoni, South Africa.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Serene Highness

I would be really surprised if she didn´t bother to finish high school this 4 years. What was she doing then? Only improving her image?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I would be really surprised if she didn´t bother to finish high school this 4 years. What was she doing then? Only improving her image?
Exactly, something apparently she knows how to do!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

What sour grapes. She, obviously, has attracted a very eligible person. Albert's no fool. Going to a university does not, necessarily, guarantee intelligence. One can learn outside of school, too. She never purported to have gone to university. The press did. Grace never attended university, either. Her family could well afford it.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
No ambition but to get the ring-the status and that is blatant opportunism[when your interests are dependant on that of another and you allow yourself to be defined by that relationship as a perceived career] mixed with insolence of if ever I have seen it.In the last four years as a matriculant[mature] student CW could have received her European equivalent of a high school diploma and had a university degree course or two under her belt- there any number of courses Charlene could have taken and finished.She could have invented herself as a photographer or interior decorator or something atleast except this void.Instead she chose to vegetate - hence the shock for most people.
CW is unaccomplished in a world that is fast paced and needs someone to be at the cutting edge.Granted she has been an Olympian but that was a million years ago.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
What sour grapes. She, obviously, has attracted a very eligible person. Albert's no fool. Going to a university does not, necessarily, guarantee intelligence. One can learn outside of school, too. She never purported to have gone to university. The press did. Grace never attended university, either. Her family could well afford it.
What out of touch attitudes. If this was an episode of the Flintstones it would be acceptable but it is not. Grace was over half a century ago- and because she attracted a Prince means nothing to me as a feminist. University does not guarantee intelligence and sexual prowess. but "erudition" to some extent. University was in the day PA went only for six per cent of the people but now eighty percent of people will and do go.One can be socially educated as Grace was- hence the Monaco success.CW has no proclivity towards the arts so far and I cannot say she is cultured person. The fact that various people argue that we do not know is now ridiculous because in these four years we would have seen her at symphomies and art galleries instead of the rock concert.Yousay thatone can learn outside the school certainly this is the only kind of learning CW has and has worked for her.
I cannot see this with Charlene. I know give her a chance yet another chance - we all hate her - it will work out- no nada a fiasco-
Many have difficult time accepting the facts - Pa has become betrothed to a lady with little or no formal education and hardly a social one-yet she is as fandesacs so aptly put a sportie girl with Haute couture clothes and nothing more.
But give her a chance yet another hundred years.The pity party continues...
Old 07-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
She could have invented herself as a photographer or interior decorator or something atleast except this void.Instead she chose to vegetate - hence the shock for most people.

I agree. She has been doing nothing apparently. I´m still waiting to hear some good speeches in French. She still has time, who knows.

No she doesn´t need to have a diploma for cutting a ribbon and smiling, she will hardly need to do anything diferent than that. You don´t need to go to university to be a Princess. But please! can someone tell me for sure if this woman has NOT even finished high school?. That would speak a lot about her, and of her lack of interest in being a cultivated woman, if not now, in the future. I don´t think this is a detail. It looks like she, and her advisors, are only interested in her external image.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:51 AM
Courtier

The wedding date has been announced today !!

Palais de S.A.S. le Prince de Monaco - Le Palais princier de Monaco annonce la date de la célébration du mariage de S.A.S. le Prince Albert II de Monaco avec Mademoiselle Charlène Wittstock

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=11223895

The civil wedding will be on Friday July 8, 2011, and the religious ceremony on Saturday July 9, 2011.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline View Post
The wedding date has been announced today !!..
Less than a year. I canť wait for it...
Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Great news, thanks for letting us know, ladybelline!

I hadn't expected that they would announce it before autumn as they
hadn't done it shortly after the engagement, but great that we can
now look forward to that summer wedding!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow! Less than a year, can't wait for it!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

From Hola

Alberto de Mónaco y Charlene Wittstock ya tienen fecha de boda
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Austria:
Albert von Monaco heiratet am 8. und 9. Juli 2011 - Termine stehen fest - Show + Stars - krone.at

Germany:
Charlene + Fürst Albert: Hochzeit im Juli - News auf Gala.de

Is this a special date?

Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Argentina's Independence Day :
But for Monaco, i think there's nothing on that date.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene