The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoorMeansLight View Post
I've been away for 5 days and Albert got engaged??! Wow!
Same for me, it left me speechless that it had to happen just during
the week of my summer holidays and I wasn't here..

One may be shocked, surprised or even disappointed, there seems to
be lots of need for discussion but after all and whatever your personal
opinions are: these are fantastic news for a wonderful and beautiful
couple in love - congratulations!

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Courtier

As far as I am concerned their new life starts today.
She is not from a millionaire family like Kate Middleton so what ... Albert loves her and thankfully does not have to ask anyone's good/bad opinion on this forum. If they don't like her I am sure he won't be loosing any sleep over that. I am sure she will have a wonderful life with him.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't find a thread of Charlene pics, so i post these ones i found here:

http://go2.wordpress.com/?id=725X134...uedubac.com%2F

http://www.diezminutos.es/var/dm/sto...it_galeria.jpg
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Angieuk, I have the same hopes as you regarding the couple. They seem very comfortable with one another, and CW is the right person to help PA with his rather hesitant way of speaking. He seems to be a well-meaning man.

The age difference is an issue. say, a child comes along in a year or two, by the time s/he is eleven or twelve, PA would be sixty.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Monaco needs glamour, it's been needing it since Grace past away. Grace had stayle she didn't need a stylist. Grace was sweet and loving. I understand Albert is trying to show the world the right way to live blah blah but marrying a sports woman isn't the answer.....Love is! I don't get how she won the Prince's heart. I don't see the love I just don't.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enastazia View Post
Monaco needs glamour, it's been needing it since Grace past away. Grace had stayle she didn't need a stylist. Grace was sweet and loving. I understand Albert is trying to show the world the right way to live blah blah but marrying a sports woman isn't the answer.....Love is! I don't get how she won the Prince's heart. I don't see the love I just don't.
Well they obviously do, else they wouldn't be getting married.
Your basically saying that you want Albert to marry a mini me of his mother. Which is not okay.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enastazia View Post

What's wrong with being a "sports woman"? She has nothing to be ashamed of for being athletic and accomplished in athletics. I love to swim and have always been a water baby, but I could never swim at a competitive level -- that takes far too much stamina, dedication and perseverance that I just don't have. She has those things; they are admirable qualities, not something to deride her over.

Also, for the love of Pete......STOP COMPARING CHARLENE TO ALBERT'S LATE MOTHER.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
Also, for the love of Pete......STOP COMPARING CHARLENE TO ALBERT'S LATE MOTHER.
People won't stop doing it Sister Morphine, just like you, I think it is ridiculous and there is no need for it.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Charlene is an sportswoman, and that's great. As Sister Morphine said, she has admirable qualities, that not everyone has. It's not easy to be a olympic swimmer. So i can say i admire her for that. It's more important the persistence and perseverance she might have thanks to swimming that her fashion sense...i mean, come on! Fashion is only clothes. And...yes, elegance, style...two different things.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
People won't stop doing it Sister Morphine, just like you, I think it is ridiculous and there is no need for it.
Yes we should leave the dead in peace. No comparisons should be made to the past or Grace's accomplishments, style, brains, class. No lets not go there. So when William or Harry get engaged lets keep it in mind and not compare them to Diana either.

Now for the present. Do let's compare her to CP Mary, or Leitizia, or I think Mette Merit might be a closer comparison. Back ground, degrees, style, intelligence, and most importantly what they bring to the table --- oh I forgot what's love got to do with it. I think that covers it.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

People, I see this withuot fanatism but I know some of you are REALLY pro monarchy, and by some commentys here i realize you enjoy following these people´s lives, and probably dreaming about what you will never have. But princess fairy tales are for children.
This woman Charlene, not only never worked but never will. She will have chauffers, nannies, servants, free credit card, travels, expensive clothes, and all she will have to do is SMILE.
To say that the princess´job is the hardest in the world is disrespectful to millions of people who really have to get up early to work the whole day!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
As far as I am concerned their new life starts today.
She is not from a millionaire family like Kate Middleton so what ... Albert loves her and thankfully does not have to ask anyone's good/bad opinion on this forum. If they don't like her I am sure he won't be loosing any sleep over that. I am sure she will have a wonderful life with him.
Well said. Albert didn't ask our permission to become engaged to her, but I bet he asked advice of others who are MUCH more attuned to Monaco itself before doing so. And, as a cautious person, I would say he's given this ample thought.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Courtier

OMG Rosana, well done, great words!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Grace was in a unique position. She was already famous when she married Rainier. She brought glamour and publicity to Monaco which it needed at the time. She put Monaco on the map!
Even so Grace was not accepted by the people of Monaco at first. She had to win them over.
It's not fair to compare Charlene to Grace. We'll have to see what she brings to her new role.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

I agree! It's not fair to compare Charlene to Princess Grace. There will never be another Princess Grace for all eternity. Charlene deserves a chance and obviously Prince Albert is very happy with her in order to marry her. She is her own person and might become the shining star of Monaco.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
People, I see this withuot fanatism but I know some of you are REALLY pro monarchy, and by some commentys here i realize you enjoy following these people´s lives, and probably dreaming about what you will never have. But princess fairy tales are for children.
This woman Charlene, not only never worked but never will. She will have chauffers, nannies, servants, free credit card, travels, expensive clothes, and all she will have to do is SMILE.
To say that the princess´job is the hardest in the world is disrespectful to millions of people who really have to get up early to work the whole day!!!

1. I'm not pro-monarchy, I live in the United States. I find monarchy interesting because we don't have any.

2. I don't enjoy following royals here on this site because I'm "dreaming about what I will never have". I follow royals here because it interests me and it's nice to have a place to talk about it with other people who are also interested in it. Yes, these people are fantastically wealthy and will never have to worry about paying bills or keeping a roof over their heads, but they also give up a lot in privacy and dealing with the paparazzi so in that respect....I don't want what they have. They are content to keep it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Aristocracy

Happiness is an elusive thing few men/women seem to find t.

Riches, One's Position whether king, President or heir/heiress to wealth, do not always bring happiness. "Happiness is an elusive thing few men/women seem to find it."
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
While everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, I have a couple of observations:

1) Charlene is not Grace and will never be Grace. We all need to come to terms with it. Grace wasn't Grace when she first arrived in Monaco. Its hard living up to a legend, as her daughter, Caroline discovered as well.
2) Speaking of Caroline, I would imagine that Caroline is okay with no longer being First Lady of Monaco. If she could maintain her charity work along with raising her children, and pitching in every once in a while in Monaco but not necessarily living there...she would be okay with that.
3) The lack of official duties (or at least a number of them) in Monaco by the Casiraghi Trio makes sense now. They certainly show up for the important dates but by and large they pretty much have lives outside of Monaco.
4) I am simply AMAZED that people have made major assumptions about Charlene and Albert's relationship based on the press and pictures. Are these pictures similar to the ones in Harry Potter's world where they talk? Not to be facetious...but how does one know that Charlene only wants to marry Albert because of who he is? Did a picture tell us so?
5) The presence of Charlene at the Sweden wedding also makes sense. Its apparent (at least to me) that the Swedish court knew something was going on. Bravo to Charlene and Albert for not trying to take away from Victoria's day.
6) People are assuming a lot as it relates to who will and will not attend the wedding. For the record, some of the royals who attended Albert's enthronement were Victoria of Sweden, Sophie and Edward from Great Britian, Faisal of Jordan, and i believe Alois and Sophie from Lechenstein (I don't follow them on a regular but I believe thats who they were). Certainly not a lot came but its also important to remember that a lot of royals were just in Monaco for Rainier's funeral. And he certainly warranted the presence of several reigning monarchs.

Just a couple of random thoughts I had as I peruse the thread.
Well said Zonks. I'm tired of the prejudices and unjust allegations against Charlene. Come on, give the girl a break! Why do people keep bashing her that she has no education and no proper job ? Princess Diana was not noted as academically brilliant. In fact she failed in all her subjects in 0 levels and took a job as a kindergarten teacher yet the public adore her. She married Charles after a very short courtship and nobody accused her of trying to marry title and money. The same can be said of Princess Grace. So what's wrong with Charlene ? She is not illiterate ; she worked as a youth worker. Why then is she accused of hunting for fortune and title . I think she looks fabulous --- always stylishly and elegantly dressed and carries herself with poise. None of the crown princesses nowadays are born to the role of royal duties. They will learn in time. We should just keep an open mind and be more tolerant.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

She does not strike me as a gold digger.
Albert is a billionaire. He may well have given her a substantial amount of money. If so, why would she still be around?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga View Post
I think I may have the photos of CW with a cigarette leaning over the balcony. In this photo, it looks like she's taking a drag off Pierre's Marlboros. Is this the photo?
Sorry, I don't know how to post.
post 270

First sighting of Charlene February 10, 2006, Thread 17 doesn't have a link to 18
, This is her first thread. March 15, 2006 full of articles and photos.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene