The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody7058 View Post
CW will never be Grace. Grace has class.

Grace is dead. Furthermore, how do you know that Charlene has no class?

Charlene needs to shave her head, dye it black or do something to not be a tall blonde woman because again.....people have lost their minds.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to HSH Prince Albert and Miss Charlene Wittstock. Now, this is another royal wedding we have to see. When's the wedding?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

I was wondering if "losing their minds" is enough for a modetor to warn a user member or if an insult is necessary. I could not think of a weaker argument to support one´s position. Honestly, i prefer to keep quite instead of descredit someone who thinks the opposite, by calling him crazy, but some people obviously don´t. If stating a different opinion in this forum is banned, i should have been warned in advance.

I stick to my opinion, people do not change their religious beliefs, they may state they have changed ( which is completely different and quite hypocritical) in order to carry our an engagement.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Aristocracy

Prince Albert engagement to Charlene and converting to the Catholic Faith

Read the history of the Royal rules and Protacol you will find that 98% of marriages by one country to another making Alliances through marriages had to convert to the country of abode religion. example when Princess Alexandra Queen Victoria's grand daughter married into the Russian Royal family she had to abandon the German Church faith and convert to the Russian Orthodox faith. Princess Elena of Montenegro did likewise when she married into the Italian Kingdom she became Catholic. It makes sense. Prince Phillip the queen of England husband even though he is a descendant of Queen Victoria he was born in Greece and raised in the Greek Orchodox church. he had to convert to the Anglican Church of England before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth who is now queen it is just Protacal the basis is Alliance and Loyalty. Even though the heir or the heiress to the throne no longer are making Alliances and not marrying Royal blood the religious order still stand.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I stick to my opinion, people do not change their religious beliefs

Yes they do. I personally know it to have happened. You can believe otherwise if you want, but I've seen with my own two eyes something entirely different. My friend was Episcopalian, but her fiance was Jewish. In order for them to marry either in a church or a temple, one of them would have to convert. My friend decided to convert so that the two of them could get married in the temple. She is now one of the most observant Jews I know, and I know quite a few. No one thinks of her as not a Jew because she wasn't born one. She keeps kosher, goes to temple on Saturdays, she even cooked her first Seder meal this year.

The idea that it's impossible for someone to choose to believe something different whether it's tied to a wedding or not is difficult for me to understand. People convert for many reasons, and they're all personal to those people. To say that they don't mean it or that they're only doing it for material reasons is really quite insulting.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Majesty

I could not and would not abandon my Roman Catholic faith to marry...but then again I am not a would be Royal/Princely fiancee about to marry into an historic family with centuries of history and tradition linking it to a particular religion.

Charlene has lived in the Principality for several years. She has had time to learn and absorb the fact that not only is Monaco a Catholic country with traditionally close ties to the Vatican, I think the Constitution requires that it's sovereign be married to a person of the Catholic religion.

The chances of Albert marrying in a civil ceremony without the blessings of the Church are slim and none for several reasons...1) He would be the first ruler on the history of the Principality to do this..and it would likely not sit well with his subjects 2)The Holy See does NOT recognize civil marriages without Church blessings as being valid for Catholics, which means that 3) Albert and Charlene's children would be considered illegitimate and would have no succession rights under the Constitution. Remember Princess Caroline's long struggle to have her marriage to Junot annulled and her marriage to Stefano Casiraghi recognzed by the Catholic Church?

It's because she wanted her three children legitimized(sadly, this only took place after Stefano died, and John Paul II annulled her first marriage)
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I could not and would not abandon my Roman Catholic faith to marry...but then again I am not a would be Royal/Princely fiancee about to marry into an historic family with centuries of history and tradition linking it to a particular religion.

Charlene has lived in the Principality for several years. She has had time to learn and absorb the fact that not only is Monaco a Catholic country with traditionally close ties to the Vatican, I think the Constitution requires that it's sovereign be married to a person of the Catholic religion.

The chances of Albert marrying in a civil ceremony without the blessings of the Church are slim and none for several reasons...1) He would be the first ruler on the history of the Principality to do this..and it would likely not sit well with his subjects 2)The Holy See does NOT recognize civil marriages without Church blessings as being valid for Catholics, which means that 3) Albert and Charlene's children would be considered illegitimate and would have no succession rights under the Constitution. Remember Princess Caroline's long struggle to have her marriage to Junot annulled and her marriage to Stefano Casiraghi recognzed by the Catholic Church?

It's because she wanted her three children legitimized(sadly, this only took place after Stefano died, and John Paul II annulled her first marriage)

What are the current connections of the Monegasque royals to the papacy?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
She converted.
When and how do you know?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Prince Albert said so in his latest interview. (The same interview when he said the wedding would be in the summer of 2011) I don't know when she converted.

Josette
Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Oh thank you for letting me know.
She must have converted before the engagement.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
What a rock! Congratulations to the happy couple. I wish them the best for the future. And I love a good royal wedding.
i cannot find a photo of the ring??
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursox View Post
i cannot find a photo of the ring??
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 06-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
But I think Wills and Kate should send a "thank you"-letter to Monaco, because Albert and Charlene took a lot of pressure from them. Now everyone is happy about and busy with this wedding and Wills and Katie have a little more time for their big announcement. Because let's face it: Everyone was expecting those two to be the next royal wedding couple.
Since Prince Alberts wedding will take place in the summer of 2011 it is still possible for William & Kate to marry sooner.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Courtier

He only recently said he wants to concentrate on his career ... which is going to be for another 3 years. I see no sign whatsoever of William wanting to get married.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
He only recently said he wants to concentrate on his career ... which is going to be for another 3 years. I see no sign whatsoever of William wanting to get married.

Neither do I. I feel the press might be disappointed with the outcome on that situation. William is 28 and may want to wait like several of the other Prince's have, to marry. Look at the last few engagements , marriages..Greek Royal Family, Monaco and Victoria in her 30's. William may wait at least a few more years. imo.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Roman Catholicism is the state religion of Monaco. It's in the constitution.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Nobility

Where is Charlene ? We haven't seen her since the engagement annoouncement. Is she back in South Africa with her family ?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
Prince Albert said so in his latest interview. (The same interview when he said the wedding would be in the summer of 2011) I don't know when she converted.

Josette
Albert did not say anything about religion or converting CW to Catholicism in his interview.
It is the only, exclusive interview PA gave so far, Nice-Matin online:
Google Translate

Summing up: Albert said here he was pleased to announce his engagement, he briefly described Charlene career in sport and how she wanted to help children, told about their shared interest in sports. In the end he told their marriage would be in summer next year. Where he says about converting to Catholicism? Again there were no other interview given by PA so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Oh thank you for letting me know.
She must have converted before the engagement.
Albert never said that. See my link to original interview.
It was Bunte, a gossip rag that told it a few years ago, that she was converting. I don't trust Bunte. I would believe when Albert says so.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Aristocracy

I haven't posted here in awhile, but had to come back to join in the squees about PA getting married.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

If religion means something to Prince Albert and Monaco, Ms Wittstock will convert. She my have already, but before the wedding. She will need to take classes from Prince Albert's priest. I don't think it will be hard for her because she is already Christian.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene