The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert, Princess Charlene and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Courtier

I hope it will be glamorous!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

No one knows how they act together, privately. Some people are very shy and aloof when in public. Albert is also 52. He is no longer at the drooling, pawing stage of life. Grace and Ranier hardly knew each other. There, certainly, was no love there. She wanted to be a princess, and he, like Albert needed a princess. They seemed to have a good life, together, afterwards. Let the couple alone and plan their wedding.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Aristocracy

People marry for different reasons, and I hope the couple are happy together. I don't see her to be on the same level as Grace Kelly. Grace was already a hollywood star before she even came to Monaco. Aside from Charlene trying to be a look-a-like of Grace, what else does she bring to the role as princess? There is no gravitas to Charlene.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Okay, so she might be regarded as a lightweight by some, and others feel that this is (almost) a type of arranged marriage, or a "dodgy" one, for whatever reason.

As none of us have ever seen/heard Charlene, we can't really be sure about our opinions on the matter.

Perhaps in the months to come, we might see some interviews which may help us to form an opinion on this match.

Until then, perhaps we could give them the benefit of the doubt ???
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
People marry for different reasons, and I hope the couple are happy together. I don't see her to be on the same level as Grace Kelly. Grace was already a hollywood star before she even came to Monaco. Aside from Charlene trying to be a look-a-like of Grace, what else does she bring to the role as princess? There is no gravitas to Charlene.

What does that mean? What is a Hollywood Star have to do with anything? (..) I don't think Charlene needs to be a look-a-like. She is beautiful in her own right. What did Grace bring to the "role"?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to HSH. I hope he is happy :)
Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
What does that mean? What is a Hollywood Star have to do with anything? (..) I don't think Charlene needs to be a look-a-like. She is beautiful in her own right. What did Grace bring to the "role"?
Grace already being a movie star brought an energy to Monaco that wasn't there before Grace came. I don't think that Charlene brings the same energy.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mia View Post
Grace already being a movie star brought an energy to Monaco that wasn't there before Grace came. I don't think that Charlene brings the same energy.
Being a move star is a special thing because they have a mysterious aura about them. Thats what Grace brought to Monaco. Charlene doesn't have that same star power. She doesn't have the kind of aura that makes you want to know more about her. She doesn't have that ability to "draw" people to her. But all hope is not gone. I think everyone should give her some time to mold into her role and maybe she has a surprise in store for everyone. She may be the best thing that ever happened to Monaco. We'll just have to see.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nonsense. The locals were not too receptive to her coming. An American and an actress. You are looking from the wrong side. She did bring with her a following and her own charm. Not everyone can be an actress. Maxima, Mary and Mette-Marit all were less exotic, yet they have brought a refreshing air to their jobs. Give Charlene a chance. She is beautiful and elegant. She will learn her role.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Royal Highness

Might we know who sent congatulatory telegarams or or e-mails to Charlene and Albert?How is that done these days.? which royals.?
Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Let's go back to the early 1950s, and an austere post-war Europe.

Rainier did himself a favour by luring a Hollywood star to his dwarf state. He also did everyone a favour by creating a unique event that, through this thing called television, lifted the whole of Europe (and the rest of the world) out of its gloom.

I don't think for a moment that PA's wedding will repeat this, but it will, to a large extent, counter the economic downturn in the Principality and the surrounding area.

The "Prince Albert wedding" will bring plenty of tourists to the PACA (Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur) region, starting now.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Might we know who sent congatulatory telegarams or or e-mails to Charlene and Albert?How is that done these days.? which royals.?

"When oh when" are the people on this forum going to understand that the Princely family of Monaco is NOT royal? They are Serene not Royal highnesses.
Princess Caroline is royal because she married a royal and her daughter Alexandra is but the others are not.
Charlene is no Grace she will have to make her own mark, so far she just looks dignified and that is about it, I hope that the role of wife of the sovereign of this very small and wealthy principality will give her happiness and, of course, a legitimate heir to it.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Courtier

Congratulations Charlene and Albert.
They say things come in three's
Victoria and Daniel
Charlene and Albert
Prince Nikolaos and Tatiana
Prince Nikolaos and Tatiana announce wedding date | Latest celebrity news hellomagazine.com

William and Kate ... yes, maybe 2011, 2012, 2013???
Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 AM
Royal Highness

Why do people have to say 'She is no Grace'? Of course she isn't, she is Charlene and should be respected for it. Nobody should expect her to be Grace she should be accepted for who she is and what she can bring to the principality which we will see in time. How can we judge her when we only see photos at certain events? When she is an official member of the princely family then we will see what she is capable of. And one more thing, how can we say she is trying to be a Grace look-a-like? Because her hair is the same colour? Oh yeah practically identical
Old 06-26-2010, 04:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
"When oh when" are the people on this forum going to understand that the Princely family of Monaco is NOT royal? They are Serene not Royal highnesses.
Princess Caroline is royal because she married a royal and her daughter Alexandra is but the others are not.
Charlene is no Grace she will have to make her own mark, so far she just looks dignified and that is about it, I hope that the role of wife of the sovereign of this very small and wealthy principality will give her happiness and, of course, a legitimate heir to it.
I think that Jaya was asking which royals had sent congratulations to the couple, not that the princely family were royals.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I've been away for 5 days and Albert got engaged??! Wow! Congratulations to the couple - great news!!! Looking forward to this wedding!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Serene Highness

If the Grimaldis aren't royalty why are they listed as such in the Gotha? I thought that was supposed to be the definitive guide on european royalty and has been around for centuries.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Why do people have to say 'She is no Grace'? Of course she isn't, she is Charlene and should be respected for it. Nobody should expect her to be Grace she should be accepted for who she is and what she can bring to the principality which we will see in time. How can we judge her when we only see photos at certain events? When she is an official member of the princely family then we will see what she is capable of. And one more thing, how can we say she is trying to be a Grace look-a-like? Because her hair is the same colour? Oh yeah practically identical
Great post - I agree she should be allowed to be Charlene - I don't want her to be a clone of a past royal.

IMO most of us would be a bit upset if someone expected us to be exactly the same as our mother in law (living or past) so why is it seen as beneficial if you are marrying royalty - both Charlene and Kate Middleton seem to be having this issue. We are all unique individuals and cannot be someone else however much we try even if the person we are expected to be is seen as an icon.

Personally I believe we should give Charlene a go and judge her by her own actions not what we believe Grace would have done.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Aristocracy

This engagement is a huge surprise to me. I thought Albert would never marry. Congratulations and all the best to them, though Charlene doesn't look too happy at times.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
My, my , my! I wouldn't espect this any more! I supposed it should never happened. One never knows people deeply! I've always believed that Prince Albert should die as a single man! I'm relieved and happy. I was wrong and I'm not ashamed to accept it, for I'm so happy with these news that all other feeling about Albert and Charlene are gone by now. I'm just THANKFUL!!!
Vanesa.

Nice fireworks.

Quote:
Fürstin TaxisI hope it will be glamorous!
I too hope it will be glamorous day. I'm so looking forward to the wedding.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene