The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco > Prince Albert and Princess Charlene

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's why her shoulders are so massive.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
That's why her shoulders are so massive.
I am not sure I would say massive but yes, she definitely has swimmer's shoulders. Which in certain dresses are her best feature IMO.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Courtier

I doubt he proposed to her only 4 days or so ago. I'm sure it was done before the Swedish wedding, which is why he took her to the wedding.

edit: excuse me, I thought it was fact that her father confimed Albert asked for her hand before the World Cup.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was surprised to see this on Yahoo!.
Monaco's Prince Albert to marry Charlene Wittstock - Yahoo! News
She won't be "Crown Princess" right? I think they got that wrong.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, she will be Her Serene Highness, Princess Charlene of Monaco, not Crown Princess. She is getting married to a Sovereign, not an heir.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
No, she will be Her Serene Highness, Princess Charlene of Monaco, not Crown Princess. She is getting married to a Sovereign, not an heir.
There is something about her name that is very un-princess like. Charlene reminds me of a character from an Australian soap opera. Charlotte would have been so much nicer.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
I was surprised to see this on Yahoo!.
Monaco's Prince Albert to marry Charlene Wittstock - Yahoo! News
She won't be "Crown Princess" right? I think they got that wrong.
I think this article got a lot wrong I hope.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
Apparently people are skipping over the WELL KNOWN FACT THAT ALBERT ASKED CHARLENE'S FATHER CIRCA JUNE 10TH FOR HER HAND.

I doubt he proposed to her only 4 days or so ago. I'm sure it was done before the Swedish wedding, which is why he took her to the wedding.

Pray tell, where did you get this piece of factual information? There's an earlier post on this thread citing a rag that Albert rang up Charlene's father this past Tuesday to ask for her hand. I'm not saying Star Magazine is the best source, but I'm curious where you got the information.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
Apparently people are skipping over the WELL KNOWN FACT THAT ALBERT ASKED CHARLENE'S FATHER CIRCA JUNE 10TH FOR HER HAND.

Where did you get the date from? You apparently didn't read what her father said in the press. From The Star a SA Newspaper
Quote:
Monaco gets SA's Grace Kelly June 24, 2010

By BRONWYN GERRETSEN, NONTOBEKO MTSHALI, JAMEY KEATEN & Angela Charlton

Before Prince Albert, 52, of Monaco could announce his engagement to his long-term sweetheart, he had to phone a Benoni man to ask for his blessing.

Just before 4pm on Tuesday, Michael Wittstock received a call from the prince, whose full name is Albert Alexandre Louis Pierre.

It was just before the kick-off of Bafana Bafana's final World Cup match.

Wittstock is the father of former South African Olympic swimmer Charlene Wittstock, 32, who coached swimming at Durban schools.

"He phoned me so I could give him the blessing to put the ring on her finger," said Wittstock.
Quote:
Charlene swam for South Africa at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, but did not win any medals. She had won gold in the 100m freestyle at the All Africa Games the year before.
Quote:
Wittstock had lived in the principality since 2006, a palace spokeswoman, Laetitia Pierrat, said.
But she won back her title and was swimming for the SA team up until 2007. I thought you had to live in the country you were competing for?

ETA: For the person who asked if Albert was the age of her parents the answer is yes.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

Do I inhabit a different universe? The British have only one interest: themselves. There were many in the UK who would have welcomed a little coverage of the Swedish romance and subsequent wedding. What the media here gave us was less than 10 seconds on the main tv channels news bulletins. Congratulations to Albert and Charlene, and of course the people of Monaco, who will give their new Princess a warm welcome.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Where did you get the date from? You apparently didn't read what her father said in the press. From The Star a SA Newspaper
But she won back her title and was swimming for the SA team up until 2007. I thought you had to live in the country you were competing for?
Actually, that is not the case at all. There are a TON of athletes who compete for one country and train in another country. Especially after the fall of the former Soviet Republic. There are also US citizens who have dual citizenship and are on other countries Olympic and National teams. The current Olympic Figure Skating Champion, is from Japan and trains in Canada or the US I believe.

We live in a world with transparent boundaries now.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
No. The best Swedish swimmers tend to live in US or Australia (for training reasons), our best soccer players are spread over Europe and more than a few top Athletes lives in Monaco (for tax reasons and shorter travels to continental Europe).
Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Actually, that is not the case at all. There are a TON of athletes who compete for one country and train in another country. Especially after the fall of the former Soviet Republic. There are also US citizens who have dual citizenship and are on other countries Olympic and National teams. The current Olympic Figure Skating Champion, is from Japan and trains in Canada or the US I believe.

We live in a world with transparent boundaries now.
Thanks Zonk that's one question I didn't have an answer for.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Commoner

Much Congratulations!!!

I think the bride-to-be looks absolutely stunning in her first official photo to mark the engagement. With her elegant beauty and her obviously regal poise, she is on the fast track to airbrush a few of these amateur royal wives (e.g. Princesses Letizia and Mette-Marit) clear out of the picture. I am so pleased by this news and wish the couple (especially the soon-to-be princess) all the happiness in the world!! BTW, the ring is... Simply Amazing!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalie Cox View Post
That, and Monaco is a Principality not a Kingdom. The royals there are Serene Highness, not Royal Highness and Albert is Sovereign Prince, not King.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Gentry

Congratulations to the two love birds!!!! I like her green dress!

Here I found the whole body of the offical photo for the engagement, It's so sweet, and I really like her green dress!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

The Royal Magazines must be in sheer heaven with Victoria's recent wedding, Tatianna's engagement-wedding on the way and now Prince Albert announcing his engagement to Charlene.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Courtier

Wow! She is really pretty. But she reminds me a little bit of Camilla in her younger days. Of course more beautifuler. Camilla was pretty, too. Or not?

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6...illaparker.jpg

(I watched a Michael Jackson concert from 1997 at TV. And I swear, I saw Charlene in the public. She must be 19 there.)

Old 06-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, Charlene is beautiful, even young Camilla was no beauty.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
There is something about her name that is very un-princess like. Charlene reminds me of a character from an Australian soap opera. Charlotte would have been so much nicer.
That's exactly what i was thinking!

However, all the best to the couple. You have to have nerves of steel to enter into an engagement/marriage with a royal figure. Quite a few of the comments here have been so negative, if in fact not downright rude.

i do agree, she has a very reserved facade, as does Letizia. That's not to say they're both not happy, just that they don't tend to show it in public.

Tags
engagement, prince albert, prince albert ii, princess charlene