Engagement of Prince Albert II to Miss Charlene Wittstock

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had sort of been wondering what was in the works here. Mostly, I have been wondering because there seemed to have been no effort to bring Caroline's son Andrea, the presumed heir after Caroline, into the business of the family firm. At his age, it would be about time to being preparing him for his role (and starting with a decent haircut, IMO.)

However, it now seems apparent that this was a slow but steady progression on the part of Albert and the government to pave the way for a natural born heir of Albert to come into the situation. To have married in haste right after his father's death would have been unseemly, especially since it coincided with the revelation that Albert had fathered another illegitimate child. Since Charlene and Albert were dating at the time that the child was born, it would seem to me that Charlene might have cause for pause in moving forward with a relationship. It may have been that the confluence of those events caused a serious re-evaluation of "who and what are we," and the decision was reached that it (marriage) was a goal to work toward. The time for dilantante-ish-ness was past.

This appears to me to be a serious, well-thought-out situation in which the first rush of romance and fairytales have given way to sincere partnering. Given how much polish Charlene has gained over the past three years in particular, it seems that both of them are putting their best foot forward. Clearly, she has seen the best and the worst of times with Albert, and he has been able to observe whether she can adapt to situations or if she has no growth or maturity apparent.

It's a rational decision by two people who have seen life in many forms and have decided that together is better than apart.

Good for them both, I say.

This is quite a good and detailed observation. After reading it I can only confirm. I wish both of them all the best though I am not that big of a Charlene fan and can't see in her what others may see. I am having difficulties to see the discover the princess in her but on the other side she has just stepped in into royal world and has time to adjust to her new role. But all in all I am happy that we gonna have another high profile royal wedding after the wonderful event in Sweden.

I agree with Casiraghi Trio. Whatever happens, Caroline will continue to work on her projects, like the Prince Pierre Foundation, and much more.

If anything, I suspect she will have more time for her children, especially Alexandra, and it may come as a relief to her not to have to turn out for quite so many functions.

There's a further engagement photo on the Nice Matin web site (pic 2) - but it doesn't show the ring.

Nice Matin

Is it just me or does this picture somehow remind you to the famous Lady Diana picture taken in the kindergarten? From what I can see the future princess of Monaco has great legs :whistling:

When?

Prince Albert gave an interview to Nice Matin.

The wedding will take place next summer ( 2011).

I live here and know that the "Kelly-Grimaldi" family is widely covered ... even if someone sneezes.

So are you saying because the engagement was on page 8 or 9, the city of Philadephia does not rate the engagement as important? My point is, there are a lot of things going on that might be a little more news worthy than Albert and Charlene's engagement, thus the appearance of the announcement on page 8 or 9.

So you are from Philadelphia, and the Kelly Grimaldis are still covered. Great. I guess I am confused, by your earlier statement "Because Philadelphians see right through the shallowness of this match" are referring to the location of the announcement? What does that have to do with anything?

Last edited:
Caroline knew from a early age this was bound to happen. Caroline will not be pushed aside her status is written in stone in Monaco. I hope she will become a mentor to the new future princess.

I think the engagement announcement is a bit weird. They did everything backwards. CW has already been " presented " in Monaco society. She already traveled abroad with PA to official events. She has been featured on magazine covers its almost like they have already been married that is why I think that there wasnt no media blitz for the announcement. In Philadelphia I havent even heard it being mentioned.

Since they put all protocol aside anyway they could get married next month if they wanted to

I am thinking that as the wedding draws nearer we will see some sort of sit down interview with the Prince and his fiancee...at least I hope. :sad:

I fully expect this engagement to receive saturation coverage in magazines such as Paris Match and especially Point de Vue...the latter has become extremely pro-Charlene and has been beating the drum for this engagement for years.

Perhaps Charlene will appear on the balcony with the Princely family for the Fete Nationale on Nov19th...and this will be her semi-official "presentation" to the Monegasques...who for the most part seem delighted about this.

I do love the manner in which Royal fiancees are presented in Belgium...the young lady is taken to each of the nine provinces that comprise the Kingdom and is formally and joyfully received by the people.("Joyeuses Entrees)

I do agree with you that it is ODD that Princess Grace's hometown is not covering this at all....:ermm:

Is it just me or does this picture somehow remind you to the famous Lady Diana picture taken in the kindergarten? From what I can see the future princess of Monaco has great legs :whistling:

OMG! She didn't even wear an appropriate dress for her engagement picture

Well its been a long time since Grace was in Philly. Times have changed and perhaps they simply don't hold it up as important as they would when it was Grace's time.

For once I think you are wrong. The dress was modern the colour becoming and Charlene was impeccably groomed.

It would be nice to see her on the balcony with the family on Nov19th. I hope she'll be there. I can imagine her and Albert in the balcony :flowers:

Some of PA's subjects reacted somewhat prosaically:

Edith Wendebaum runs a wine shop in Monte Carlo: "This will be great for champagne sales!".

Seriously, though, his wedding will be good for the Principality's economy.

The following link from Suite101 surmises that "this engagement news is meant to take attention off taxation and economic policy changes " in Monaco.

Prince Albert of Monaco Engaged to Charlene Wittstock

I can't see it myself. PA and his government have been extremely transparent about their efforts to keep Monaco as a successful nation.

I agree with Casiraghi Trio. Whatever happens, Caroline will continue to work on her projects, like the Prince Pierre Foundation, and much more.

If anything, I suspect she will have more time for her children, especially Alexandra, and it may come as a relief to her not to have to turn out for quite so many functions.

I cannot imagine Princess Caroline having to hand over duties in certain charities (AMADE, for example) - it would be better for Charlene to become involved in charities close to her heart - build her own presence instead of in the shadows of her siblings-in-law.

It is summertime in the Principality. Albert and Charlene are being photographed in the beautiful gardens of the Palais Princier...why not wear a lovely halter gown/dress that not only meshes well with the foliage in the background, but also reflects one's lovely blue eyes and yes...one's magnificent shoulders as well?

I think it's a great engagement photo, and that Charlene looks incredibly beautiful in it.

For once I think you are wrong. The dress was modern the colour becoming and Charlene was impeccably groomed.

I agree Jaya....I thought it was a lovely dress.

Let's face it there are people who for whatever reason is never going to like Charlene. And that is certainly their right but this looking for perceived slights (i.e. style of dress, lack of public interview, etc.) is getting rather tiresome.

I mean, people said the same thing about Mette Marit. Remember her? The Crown Princess of Norway? Now, I don't follow the NRF on a regular, but from what I can see other than a couple of incidents (early in the marriage) Mette Marit has handled herself with discretion, dignity and is an asset to the NRF and her nation. And if I recall, a lot of people (including Haakon's aunt) thought MM and Ari would destroy the Norwegian monarchy and that hasn't happened.

And if Caroline had really wanted to rule Monaco, I am sure Rainier could have attempted to change the succession laws. I think she will be glad not to be the First Lady of Monaco, and I suspect you will only see Stephanie at three or four events when Albert marries. I am thinking Circus, Rose/Red Ball, National Day and Christmas.

I thought the engagement dress was lovely.

Re-reading the article from the DailyMail. Just before you click on the link it has a little summary and it says
"Monaco gets a new Grace Kelly"
I think is really unfair.

The more I look at that ring, the more a think it's a little too big. It makes me wonder what he's try to hide/buy.......

Honestly, I would NOT trade places with Charlene or Kate/Chelsy (or whoever the British Princes marry). Despite the money, the jewels and the luxury that you have, and a life in the public eye...who would want to be CONSTANTLY compared to Grace and Diana?!

Its a hard measuring up to an icon (even those who acknowledged faults).

Those comparisons will never end, poor Charlene. Charlene is Charlene, and Grace is Grace. But the press will continue, now more than ever with those comparisons...
Btw, I also like her engagement dress, i don't see anything wrong with it, i even loved the colour, it looked lovely on her.

Honestly, I would NOT trade places with Charlene or Kate/Chelsy (or whoever the British Princes marry). Despite the money, the jewels and the luxury that you have, and a life in the public eye...who would want to be CONSTANTLY compared to Grace and Diana?!

Its a hard measuring up to an icon (even those who acknowledged faults).

To be quite honest I would prefer to marry Frederik/Haakon, if they weren't already married.
Their countries are a lot quieter on the press front, and they look a lot more handsome. ;)

To be quite honest I would prefer to marry Frederik/Haakon, if they weren't already married.
Their countries are a lot quieter on the press front, and they look a lot more handsome. ;)

Yes indeed. I was looking at Haakon at the Swedish wedding. He was a cute young man, but he has a handsome gentleman. He is definitely aging well. Plus, with all due respect to Sonja and Margethe, their wives definitely didn't have the same pressure as whoever will marry William/Harry/Albert.

Yes indeed. I was looking at Haakon at the Swedish wedding. He was a cute young man, but he has a handsome gentleman. He is definitely aging well. Plus, with all due respect to Sonja and Margethe, their wives definitely didn't have the same pressure as whoever will marry William/Harry/Albert.

No they don't. I think it has everything to do with the country and the media.
The only places we see this kind of pressure to marry is Monaco and Britain, elsewhere in Europe, the country seems content to let things be and happen when they happen.

^That's true Lumutqueen! I wonder why?

Culture maybe.
Because Monaco is such a glamorous area, they are always looking for something to watch. Plus Albert is 52 and not yet married yet he has 2 kids. :)
Britain when it comes to royals has always been waiting for the heir to marry. I think most likely because they need to watch some pomp and circumstance. The British press are like no other in the world in my opinion, they will not rest until they have got what they want, then they find new prey to hunt.

Well...I am not familiar with the citizens of Monaco...but are they pressuring Albert to get married? Honestly, I never got that impression. I know the French tabloids have an interest in the Monaco Royal Family but I never got the feeling that it was that intense in Monaco.

I read some of the British press and quite honestly, it appears that they love building people up to tear them down. Or at least beating a story to death. And this happens in the US as well.

So far I haven´t noticed anyone from Monaco commenting, it would be interesting to hear from them.
Hibou pretty well says what the word on the street is. There are however, those who will state on camera their best wishes but not off. I saw it coming myself in May when she was standing with the trio at the Grand Prix.

Good one Ssefra.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think it's a sad day for Monaco. No Charlene is not Grace and never will be. She is a piece of work, not a work in progress. She has no class, no education, no style (sorry Armani but you can dress them up but you can't take them out - except if you are Albert). All I can say is she brings nothing to the table. Albert has a penchant for Vegas and now he's going to marry it. Ending on a positive note, years ago a poster named Ssefra who was mocked was only off by two months on her predictions. Well done Ssefra!

I would not want to marry into the British Royal family for all the tea in China...the tabloids are unbelievably vicious. They pressured Prince Charles to marry Lady Diana, then almost gleefully turned on him...unfairly comparing his popularity with hers...insinuating that he was an old fashioned fuddy-duddy etc. I see the same pressure being put on Prince William now.

The upside to being a commoner and marrying into a Royal House? Your future, and the future of your children, is assured. You will inhabit beautiful castles and palaces steeped in centuries of history and tradition. Designers will compete to have you wear their clothing, and you will inherit/wear some of the most amazing "bling" on the planet.(See the thread dedicated to Crown Jewels of Royal House of Sweden/Bernadotte...my GOD!!)

The downside is that you will be subjected to sniping and criticism on a grand scale..your suitability, accomplishments(or lack thereof) the subject of limitless commentary on the blogosphere and in the Press. Your past..particulary your past love life..is considered everyone's business and God forbid if you were careless enough not to have had a stellar academic record in school, or if you sowed a few wild oats in your youth! No eccentric family or potentially embarrassing family members please...and ladies you had better make sure that you have a problem free gynecological history and can breed pronto!

And don't forget...your life, and your time will never ever belong to you again. :sad:

Well it is about time for Albert to marry actually overdue. She will do it is only Monaco and though I am a Grace-a-phile I don't think any of of her children have lived up to her high standards but as a royalist I am excited that another wedding is just around the corner and indeed who will attend certainly not the high turnout of last weekend that is for sure. But good luck to her the ring is HUGE the dress lovely good start.

I would not want to marry into the British Royal family for all the tea in China...the tabloids are unbelievably vicious. They pressured Prince Charles to marry Lady Diana, then almost gleefully turned on him...unfairly comparing his popularity with hers...insinuating that he was an old fashioned fuddy-duddy etc. I see the same pressure being put on Prince William now.

The upside to being a commoner and marrying into a Royal House? Your future, and the future of your children, is assured. You will inhabit beautiful castles and palaces steeped in centuries of history and tradition. Designers will compete to have you wear their clothing, and you will inherit/wear some of the amazing "bling" on the planet.(See the thread dedicated to Crown Jewels of Royal House of Sweden/Bernadotte...my GOD!!)

The downside is that you will be subjected to sniping and criticism on a grand scale..your suitability, accomplishments(or lack thereof) the subject of limitless commentary on the blogosphere and in the Press. Your past..particulary your past love life..is considered everyone's business and God forbid if you were careless enough not to have had a stellar academic record in school, or if you sowed a few wild oats in your youth! No eccentric family or potentially embarrassing family members please...and ladies you had better make sure that you have a problem free gynecological history and can breed pronto!

And don't forget...your life, and your time will never ever belong to you again. :sad:
yeah but charlene is not marrying into a royal familly like england but monaco they not that imporant sorry to say after the few months of married no one whould care about them they will fade away all else she birth a heir if not people will care less about them just another boring couple as always nothing change p.s i ask my friend i visted in monaco how they feel they told me this is just show and tell because they are not sure if he doing it for love or to escape the pressure of the economic down fall in Monaco and they also tell me they might be be something more than told .... p.s don't shoot the messager.:flowers:

^Not only the monegasque people, but everyone here in the forum too! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom