Charlene Wittstock's Education & Swimming Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing needing to be said about Charlene's swimming endeavors is that she was an Olympian, whether she won her event or not. Same goes for anyone who participates.

The only thing needing to be said about Charlene's swimming endeavors is that she was an Olympian, whether she won her event or not. Same goes for anyone who participates.

Exactly, as several sportscasters (former Olympic medalists themselves) have pointed out "once an Olympian, always an Olympian" regardless of how you placed in your events. Most of the competitors never make it past the preliminary heats in their events let alone make it to a final and even fewer win a medal.

Did Charlene even win a medal?! If not I will say it kind of takes the luster off of the " she swam in the Olympics" title. If you don't get a medal or place in the top 5 then your just one of thousands who showed up, competed, lost and went on to party.

Last edited:
Did Charlene even win a medal?! If not I will say it kind of takes the luster off of the " she swam in the Olympics" title. If you don't get a medal or place in the top 5 then your just one of thousands who showed up, competed, lost and went on to party.

No, I believe she came on sixth place. And at 26 I guess she quit. So, we could say she abandonded "for a better cause".:ROFLMAO:

To be qualified for olympic games, you must be enough good. No matter you are princes or a normal people, Only the results are important .
To be qualified in 2000, Charlene had to do good results in 1999 and at the beginnning of 2000. She did not know at this times the prince of Monaco. She won many races in South Africa, in Australia and japan. She was known as a good swimmer at this times in South Africa .
She suceeded to be qualified and until 2002 2003 she went on to gain many races.
In the Grimaldi familiy, Prince Albert suceeded to be qualified many times at the winter games, but he was very far of the podiem. It is Charlène who was the member of the family who was so near of the podium.
Pauline and Charlotte tried to be qualified but they did not suceed.
Albert said in an interview in Paris Match, that there many royal families who could participat to the olympic games but that he and Charlene are the only couple who are olympians

If that was the case then we would not have 12000+ athletes participate in the Games in addition to the thousands more who trained for years to attempt to make their nations Olympic teams and compete in events all around the world in the years between each games. Maybe we should go one step further and just send enough athletes to match the number of medals available.

To Xenia Casaraghi I can only say you have never competed in any sport at an elite level or you would never have made that comment.It takes an average of 10,000 hours of practice and training to become an elite athlete and to compete in a sport where you win or lose by a 10th of a second is indeed competition at its highest level.To be in the top 100 athletes in a world of 6 billion people is quite a feat.I have only admiration for someone who would dedicate themselves to a goal the way she did.

She also won a silver medal in the commonwealth games but I can't remember what year it was.

The Commonwealth Games silver was in 2002 in Manchester. She also won 3 gold medals in World Cup events during her career, as well as her national championships and national records.
An Olympian by definition is a person who has competed in the Olympic Games no matter if they were eliminated in the first heat or if they competed in an event final or ever won a medal.

Some will never accept that Charlene is, and always will be, just like her husband, an Olympian.

Some will never accept that Charlene is, and always will be, just like her husband, an Olympian.

Exactly! As the commentators said during the Opening Ceremonies, for majority of the athletes who will not will not win a medal, they win by simply being an Olympian, participating in the Olympic Games and representing their countries.

To imply that that those who don't medal aren't true Olympians shows me that some just don't get the purpose of the Games. I would love someone to tell anyone from any country on any sport that didn't medal that they aren't a true Olympian and see what they have to say!

You are all correct, Xenia Cashiragi, has no idea what it takes to be at that level. Getting to the Olympics is olympic. I admire the winners and the losers, because of their great skills and only 3 can medal.

I don´t undervalue the importance of participating in the Olympics. It´s an honor, but nothing else. It´s not an achievement in itself. And the most disturbing thing about CW is that s CW abandoned her career without an important reason. It´s like she had other priorities.

:previous:
I have to disagree: participating in the Olympic Games is definitely an achievement.

In order to be merely considered to be part of the Olympic team, an athlete has to perform on a certain level - in other words, he/she has to be among the best in the world. To come fifth in Olympic games means Charlene was part of the team that was the fifth-strongest in the word.

Why do you think so many athletes dream of the day they may take part in the Olympics? Not even win - take part. Because being an Olympian is a legacy by itself.

I cannot believe anyone would seriously suggest that competeing in the Olympic Games, let alone coming 5th in an Olympic final, is not an achievement. Can they even imagine the training and the dedication it takes to get to that level? Makes me wonder if they have ever been amongst the top 5 in the world (or even their town) in anything themselves. Belittleing such an achievement is of course to be expected from some people.

I don´t undervalue the importance of participating in the Olympics. It´s an honor, but nothing else. It´s not an achievement in itself. And the most disturbing thing about CW is that s CW abandoned her career without an important reason. It´s like she had other priorities.

How do you know that she abandoned her career without an important reason? Did you have conversation with her? If Charlene decided not to continue with her career, at the end of the day, isn't that her personal decision? I would think that the only people she would owe an explanation to would be her parents/family (if they provided financial support), her coach (who dedicated a significant amount of time to get her to championship level), and her swimming teammates.

NGalitzine said:
If that was the case then we would not have 12000+ athletes participate in the Games in addition to the thousands more who trained for years to attempt to make their nations Olympic teams and compete in events all around the world in the years between each games. Maybe we should go one step further and just send enough athletes to match the number of medals available.

They all are trying for a medal and the majority will not get one. I don't think the Olympics give out a red ribbon for participation. And I never said she was not an Olympian so stop putting words in my mouth. I asked if she even won a medal. Not winning a medal is like saying you went to Harvard but never graduated; yeah it's impressive you got in, but less impressive that you didn't finish. My point is that it's impressive that Charlene competed but less impressive that she didn't get a medal or rank at least in the top 4 or 5.

I'll be waiting for the evidence from Ngalitzine, Countess, and Marlene where I ever said she was not an Olympian or competing wasn't an achievement. I specifically said not winning takes the luster of the accomplishment.
And I really suggest you stop assuming things about my life or what I have or have not done with it.

Last edited:
I asked if she even won a medal. Not winning a medal is like saying you went to Harvard but never graduated; yeah it's impressive you got in, but less impressive that you didn't finish. My point is that it's impressive that Charlene competed but less impressive that she didn't get a medal or rank at least in the top 4 or 5.

Well her relay did in fact finish in 5th place in the 2000 Olympic final.
Your analogy might be a bit more apt if you said "getting into Harvard, graduating but without honours".
Your original post made it sound as if she just showed up for a good party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlene won many medals before olympics games and after the olympics games , she won a silver medal with her team in Commonwealth in 2002 and 3 other medals in the worldcup in Melbourne in 2002. She won again the title of championship of south Africa in 2007.
In Pics 265, I sent photos of Charlène wining medals.
Saying that she did not try to win a medal at a olympics games is an idiotie. She finished 5th with her team, it was a good think when we saw that Charlotte Casiraghi was never qualified to the olympic games or she never won something in the contrary of Zara Philips who was qualified and won a silver medal with her team yesterday in equestrian.

There is no problem. The only problem for some people is that she is Charlene:previous:

Xenia, a better example would be to be nominated for an Oscar and not win. Being nominated is a great honor and a great achievement. Besides the Olympics is not about winning according to the founder. He said "The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." It is also about bringing people from all over the world together.

They all are trying for a medal and the majority will not get one. I don't think the Olympics give out a red ribbon for participation. And I never said she was not an Olympian so stop putting words in my mouth. I asked if she even won a medal. Not winning a medal is like saying you went to Harvard but never graduated; yeah it's impressive you got in, but less impressive that you didn't finish. My point is that it's impressive that Charlene competed but less impressive that she didn't get a medal or rank at least in the top 4 or 5.

I'll be waiting for the evidence from Ngalitzine, Countess, and Marlene where I ever said she was not an Olympian or competing wasn't an achievement. I specifically said not winning takes the luster of the accomplishment.
And I really suggest you stop assuming things about my life or what I have or have not done with it.

Not quite. Being in the Olympics is like graduating Harvard. I graduated Columbia. What nonsense. People who didn't win, finishedl. They just didn't get a medal. Some graduate at the top of their class and some in lesser spots. That means nothing. I have seen those with great spots on the gradutaing list, do nothing. Not winning anything takes the luster off winning, not competing. If you want to find fault, I can ask, as an American, why some compete in basketball, against, us, by the way a stupid question, because they are never going to win.

Are we lost in translation here? I´m not an English native speaker, but still...I don´t know what you understand by "achievement", this is what I found, If you have a better definition please provide it.

1: the act of achieving : accomplishment
a : a result gained by effort
b : a great or heroic deed

3: the quality and quantity of a student's work

Examples:
  1. The discovery of DNA was a major scientific achievement.
  2. It was a great achievement.
  3. Getting the project done on time was a real achievement
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/achievement

Participating in Olympics is a merit and an honor after having done a great effort, but it is hardly an accomplishment/achievement. In the case of an Oscar nominee much less. I dont think they have in mind to be nominated while they are shooting, so how´can it be considered an achievement if we understand by the definition it is an action, a goal to be completed!???

As for CW leaving her career, she did nothing substantial after that.

Last edited:

Really? A merit and an honor is an acommplishment or an achievement, unless English is not your language and you cannot decern the synonym. It is an honor to be in the Olympics. You just don't sign up on a list and get in. As for Oscar nominees, they, certainly, have in their minds when they pick certain films that this will catapult into an Oscar. Your antipathy towards Charlene is always evident and Charlene's accomplishments are as great as any other "royal" thus far. Acutally, greater in many ways, becuase she was an Olympian.

Since a person has to qualify to make the Olympics, the definition "a result gained by effort" would most definitely apply to any Olympian. It's not like a person can just sign up and show up!

the equivalent of going to a good school and not graduating (in other words.. dropping out) is a sportsperson who made it to the olympics, go there and when they are supposed to 'do their thing' would decide not to (without good reason) or not try their hardest (without good reason), however that rarely happens because all these sportspeople have trained long and hard and if your sport is an olympic sport, than to participate in the olympics is the highest you can achieve.
Very few athletes will achieve even more and score an 'olympic diploma' (top 8 finish) and even fewer achieve a medal..

More so: a lot of sportspeople would almost made it to the olympics but are left of the team because their country has many good athletes in a sport.

the fact that PC particpated in a world cup or goodwillgames alone makes her a top-swimmer of a level most people will never reach...

Really? A merit and an honor is an acommplishment or an achievement,

They are not synonyms at all, in any language.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/achievement?s=t

http://thesaurus.com/browse/honor

Your antipathy towards Charlene is always evident and Charlene's accomplishments are as great as any other "royal" thus far. Acutally, greater in many ways, becuase she was an Olympian.

As great as any other? Which ones?

Btw, there is so much fuss here on CW achievements that I became curious about how and where they took place. I went through the 15 pages on this thread and couldn´t find a link, picture, statement, other than wikipedia, that assured CW had won medals or championships. Could any of you provide believable links? I would appreciate it.

NGalitzine said:
Well her relay did in fact finish in 5th place in the 2000 Olympic final.
Your analogy might be a bit more apt if you said "getting into Harvard, graduating but without honours".
Your original post made it sound as if she just showed up for a good party.

I am very much aware she did not show up to party, it is a definite accomplishment to even go; the point I was making is that people do not remember those who didn't win. Even second place is unfortunately forgotten and Charlene didn't get a medal. The only reason people remember she was involved is because she is now a Princess.
And I definitely disagree that even qualifying to the Olympics is on the same level as graduating from Harvard; that equivalency would be actually winning a medal, even a bronze.
Charlene was a good swimmer no one can doubt that, I can't believe my asking if she got a medal has turned into this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom