Charlene Wittstock's Education & Swimming Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big deal she isn't speaking in French, as yet. She will. She isn't a Rhodes scholar, neither is Camilla. Charles isn't either. He is stuffy and expounds what he likes, knowledge or not. Elizabeth is a nice woman but not a scholar either. Charlene is an Olympic Athlete, takes great performance and focus. Her new sistersin-law, seem to like her, the local population seems to like her. She is doing her job, if one calls anything a royal does a job. She is lovely and stop with the cosmetic surgery thing. you have no validation and even so, so what.

Big deal she isn't speaking in French, as yet. She will. She isn't a Rhodes scholar, neither is Camilla. Charles isn't either. He is stuffy and expounds what he likes, knowledge or not. Elizabeth is a nice woman but not a scholar either. Charlene is an Olympic Athlete, takes great performance and focus. Her new sistersin-law, seem to like her, the local population seems to like her. She is doing her job, if one calls anything a royal does a job. She is lovely and stop with the cosmetic surgery thing. you have no validation and even so, so what.

Her not speaking French is not only a big deal but a demonstration of her lacking interest in her new country.
How do you know the population likes her? I read some comments of monegasques and they do not share your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosana, I still agree with you regarding Charlene's tardiness in learning and practising the French language.
She owes it to the Monegasque people who have allowed her into their land.

(..)

She is fluent in Afrikaans. Many years back I saw an interview with her on an Afrikaans TV news bulletin in SA, related to a swimming event she had participated in. As I mentioned before, speaking Afrikaans gives her an advantage to be able to communicate with Dutch- and Flemish-speaking folks too. (Sorry, I cannot find a link of this – it was a long time ago before she moved to Monaco.)

For those of us who do like Princess Charlène and believe she has potential, it is important to not be oblivious to her shortcomings, as pointed out by SandwichSheik. She is certainly not the fairytale princess some make her out to be. But she also doesn't deserve some of the cruel criticism. I wish her all the luck in the world. She's going to need it!
Thank you for that information supporting her knowledge of Afrikaans. Do you recall when the interview might have been? Year?

I don't think anyone except perhaps the younger members are oblivious to Charlene or even Alberts shortcomings. I agree she doesn't deserve the criticism she gets. The ignore button works great you can tune them right out.

LadyMacAlpine, my guess is it must have been around 2002. The interview was on an Afrikaans TV news bulletin of the SABC, and although not a native Afrikaans speaker she seemed very comfortable. I remember this pretty well because I was based in Cape Town at the time. Thank you for reminding me of the ignore button! :flowers:

Everyone in Monaco speaks English. The whole language debate is getting very boring.

Everyone in Monaco speaks English. The whole language debate is getting very boring.
And probably now all in Monaco will have to speak in english, because their new princess doesn't know the official language.

LadyMacAlpine, my guess is it must have been around 2002. The interview was on an Afrikaans TV news bulletin of the SABC, and although not a native Afrikaans speaker she seemed very comfortable. I remember this pretty well because I was based in Cape Town at the time. Thank you for reminding me of the ignore button! :flowers:
Thank you, and you're welcome.

While I agree that Princess Charlène could have used her time in Monaco better to master French by now and to take advantage of other educational privileges like private tutoring, there are a couple of points I would like to make:

• She is fluent in Afrikaans. Many years back I saw an interview with her on an Afrikaans TV news bulletin in SA, related to a swimming event she had participated in. As I mentioned before, speaking Afrikaans gives her an advantage to be able to communicate with Dutch- and Flemish-speaking folks too. (Sorry, I cannot find a link of this – it was a long time ago before she moved to Monaco.)
• The reason why she was 'not allowed' to answer questions from the media last week in SA is possibly because they (the media) can be very insensitive, and would no doubt have questioned her on her feelings about the latest scandal. It takes a very media-savvy person to deal with such a, erm, 'delicate' situation – and she certainly lacks skills in that department, admittedly.
• She does seem to be able to at least understand some French. In my own experience, while traveling in France, I was better off sticking to English because my bad, broken French did not go down very well. Imagine practicing your French in the media spotlight! I hope that she makes an effort though, and that her French will improve to a level where she would feel comfortable speaking it in public situations.
• Indeed, she can certainly not be considered as an intellectual. But the experience and know-how she acquired from many years of traveling internationally while competing in swimming tournaments – not to mention the dedication it takes to be an Olympian athlete – provided her with a different kind of skills set that will come in very handy.
• Although there's no black-on-white evidence that she has had cosmetic surgery, I believe that she has. But she was always pretty, and really didn't need it. Whatever her reasons, it was her choice. But she certainly isn't only pretty now as a result of it, as implied.
• I think (hope) that now that they're married and her role is defined, she will use her time better to not only be considered is Prince Albert's 'arm candy'... Apart from producing an heir she has to dedicate time to become fluent in French, enrich herself with knowledge in many other areas, build relationships, continue with her commitments to various charities, hopefully launch Monaco's first Fashion Week – all the while behaving like a worthy role-model and dress for/look the part.

For those of us who do like Princess Charlène and believe she has potential, it is important to not be oblivious to her shortcomings, as pointed out by SandwichSheik. She is certainly not the fairytale princess some make her out to be. But she also doesn't deserve some of the cruel criticism. I wish her all the luck in the world. She's going to need it!

Again, every white person in South Africa can at least speak English and Afrikaans. When Charlene was in school in South Africa it was compulsory for her to learn both languages. English as a first language, Afrikaans as a second language or visa versa. Then by the time she reached standard 8 at the age of 15/16 that would be the time that you decide on what subjects you're going to keep through your high school career and what you plan to study at university. I was interested in law and my recommended subjects were math, history, accounting and typing/secretarial. I don't know what Charlene picked. To qualify for university admittance, you have to make math and two other subjects at a higher grade level. I assume it's similar to A levels in the UK.

While Dutch/Flemish and Afrikaans have commonalities, Afrikaans also takes from French and Portuguese. Modern Afrikaans also has a lot of slang, a lot of it coming from English. A simple Google search will give you tons of information on the differences in the languages and will also give you first hand experiences from native Dutch speakers talking about how it's hard for them to understand Afrikaans. It's easier for us Afrikaans speakers to understand Dutch. I'm pretty good with languages, I speak English and Afrikaans fluently, some French and even I had difficulties understanding my Flemish neighbor in Belgium.

Again please don't take one thing like Charlene speaks Afrikaans that means she can speak Flemish and Dutch and make it into fact. It will take her time and practise to do so. Dutch and Afrikaans has different grammar, spelling and to our South African ears Dutch sounds quite harsh. Dutch speakers also have a hard time understanding Afrikaans speakers because Afrikaans is spoken at a faster speed. You don't have to take my word on any of this, a Google search will help you out.

There's also no shame in being Albert's arm candy if that's what she's chosen for herself. While some of us might not agree with it it's her choice and I don't think she needs people on the internet making up these elaborate excuses for her.

Here's a question, Charlene had 5 years to improve herself, learn French and she did nothing of the sort.

What makes you think that she's going to start working on improving herself now? She doesn't need a college degree to be a princess but she can't even pull off the bare minimum requirements. What does it matter if she reads biographies if she can't give a decent interview without sounding vapid?

As for comparing her to Diana again, yes Diana wasn't the brightest and she was a high school drop out. Diana on the other hand lived in an English speaking country but made the effort to give a speach in Welsh, when she went on tour to Italy with Charles she spoke some Italian. She was far from fluent and her pronounciation wasn't the greatest but she made the effort. Diana was also able to go out and speak and interact with the people of the country she was a princess of. And let's not just compare her to Diana, how about the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William who learnt French. How is Charlene going to do her duties in Monaco when she can't speak the language of her people? She speaks English and Afrikaans but the South African newspapers are saying that she seems uncomfortable and uneasy. If she can't get it right in South Africa her country of birth, where she speaks the language, how is she going to fare in Monaco or the rest of Europe?

Charlene is Princess of Monaco. If she wants further studies, no one is going to stand in her way. If she does not want further studies, she doesn't have to. It is that way for all of us.

University education is not for everyone.

She's going to do just fine in Monaco. Since she will do just fine, you had better build up your stash of straws so you can continue to clutch at them.

Good gawd get over it. Until Charlene, Kate and company do something illegal unethical unpatriotic or whatever then people need to get off their backs. I honestly think these complaints about Both of them are just sour grapes because they don't live up to your imanginary standard. Well that's really too bad for you because despite Charlene's lack of college, high school drop out past, and slow learning of Rosetta Stone, she has the ring on her finger and she is here to stay. Some of you act like she wasn't "hired" for the job to just be a baby making machine.

And, what are the bona fides of Camilla, who will be queen of England?? Or of Princess Caroline or the very, respectable, Stephanie?? What are Charlotte's big accomplishments??? Sophie of Wessex, she worked at one time, but now cuts ribbons. Actually, Elizabeth of England, never went to college, either. Learned on the job.

Good point Countess. Not only did some Princesses not have the best education; but once again, college is not the best route for some people. I don't remember education and past work experience being on the Princess Work Application.

Several off topic posts that have NOTHING to do with Charlene's education and/or swimming career have been deleted. Those posts include personal battles between members, discussion on Charlene's looks, etc.

Let's stay on topic.

I looked for it except I didn't find anything. I did find a clip of the last 2 laps of the 2000 Olympics that I believe is the one she swam in. Does anyone know which part of the relay she was in? This is mainly about the Americans who won however, you can see all the swimmers. When someone updated the Wiki page it changed her name and you can no longer locate her under Wittstock as a swimmer its now Charlene, Princess of Monaco under M.

YouTube

Last edited:
This is to do with the Wikipedia "namespace" system.

If you go to "Search", it will give you "Charlene Wittstock" which is then redirected to "Charlene, Princess of Monaco.

There is a wonderful "List of Monaco-related topics" - well worth browsing !

Last edited:
This is to do with the Wikipedia "namespace" system.

If you go to "Search", it will give you "Charlene Wittstock" which is then redirected to "Charlene, Princess of Monaco.

There is a wonderful "List of Monaco-related topics" - well worth browsing !
This is what I am talking about. Olympic swimmers of South Africa. She is now listed under M. I wonder why Mary Wayte the other swimmer Albert almost married and is now married wasn't changed like Charlene. I will assume it is because her swimming record will always have a record of her name being Wayte just like Charlene and people will be looking for her under Wittstock since she wasn't a Princess at the time she competed. Princess Grace is still Grace Kelly American actress with her career and Consort info as Charlene should have been left.

The "Wittstock" name exists in many articles:

- a town in Brandenburg
- a battle in the Thirty Years' War
- even a list of wind turbines in Berlin and Brandenburg !

But to get Charlene Wittstock, you may have to browse a little....

I used Wikipedia. The 2000 Sydney Olympics where Charlene competed.

Women's 100 metres Backstroke

Semi finals
Qualifying heat 4
6. Charlene Wittstock (RSA) 1:03.18

Women's 200 metres Backstroke

Semifinals heat 1
Rank 7. Charlene Wittstock (RSA) 2:14.95
Qualifying heat 3
Rank 7. Charlene Wittstock (RSA) 2:15.10

Women's 4 × 100 metres Medley Relay

Qualifying heat one, rank one.

RANK HEAT 1 TIME
1. South Africa 4:07.19
Charlene Wittstock 1:02.57
Sarah Poewe 1:08.89
Mandy Loots 1:00.57
Helene Muller 55.16

Finals Rank 5. South Africa 4:05.15
Charlene Wittstock 1:02.74
Sarah Poewe 59.81
Mandy Loots 54.77
Helene Muller 4:05.15

I don't know where to put this...
I read some of the old threads and looked at the pics.
I saw Charlene smoking. Does anyone know if she still does???

What is the 4 x 100 medley? Is each person on the team swimming a different stroke? That would explain the large difference in each person's time. Also backstroke must be the first person to go because Charlene's times are pretty consistent but the other people's times are very different. A second is a big difference in swimming.

What is the 4 x 100 medley? Is each person on the team swimming a different stroke? That would explain the large difference in each person's time. Also backstroke must be the first person to go because Charlene's times are pretty consistent but the other people's times are very different. A second is a big difference in swimming.
It was the Women's 4×100 metres Freestyle Relay which means they can swim anyway they want.

With the Seagulls Swimming

2000 Charlene Wittstock World Short Course Greece - Athens
2000 Charlene Wittstock Olympics Australia - Sydney
2001 Charlene Wittstock Medal Bronze Goodwill Games Australia - Melbourne
2002 Charlene Wittstock Medal Silver Commonwealth UK - Manchester
A total of 722 swimmers have entered this year's competition that represent a total of 48 clubs nationwide. A team from Botswana is also competing and this squad comprises of 19 development swimmers. Olympic silver medallist Terence Parkin along with fellow Olympians Charlene Wittstock and Nick Folker will be competing
XXXth Sasol Winter Championships - Sasolburg

Sasol Winter Championships - Day 6 - Heats
Meet Record: @ 1:06.21 2001-07-07 Charlene L Wittstock
Preliminaries
1 Wittstock, Charlene L age 23 team SGULL-KZ 1:02.63 1:06.21
Event 365 Women 100 LC Meter Freestyle
1 Wittstock, Charlene L age 23 team SGULL-KZ 58.10 1:01.45

Freestyle is normal swimming, also called the crawl. Another words not backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly. I kind of got the idea that backstroke might be Charlene's best event.

I don't know where to put this...
I read some of the old threads and looked at the pics.
I saw Charlene smoking. Does anyone know if she still does???
Doesn't anyone know or doesn't anyone want to answer? :sad:

Freestyle is normal swimming, also called the crawl. Another words not backstroke, breaststroke or butterfly. I kind of got the idea that backstroke might be Charlene's best event.
I only looked it up for you. I was in a hurry and stopped after reading this.
Competitors in freestyle swimming can use any of the unregulated strokes such as front crawl, dog paddle, or sidestroke, etc. Stand-alone freestyle events can also be swum using one of the officially regulated strokes (breaststroke, butterfly, and backstroke).
Doesn't anyone know or doesn't anyone want to answer? :sad:
I haven't seen any photos of her in some time where she is smoking. Albert is the only one in the family who doesn't smoke. He made the Palace no smoking.

Thanks LadyM. I didn't know that. I would still think they would all use the front crawl because I think that is the quickest stroke. When I swam freestyle and the front crawl were the same thing.

Thanks LadyM. I didn't know that. I would still think they would all use the front crawl because I think that is the quickest stroke. When I swam freestyle and the front crawl were the same thing.
You're welcome. Wikipedia has a section on free style if you are interested. All I know about swimming is what I have watched during the Olympics.

I haven't seen any photos of her in some time where she is smoking. Albert is the only one in the family who doesn't smoke. He made the Palace no smoking.
Thanks. When I saw the pic I didn't wanna believe it at first. After all she was a swimmer. :eek:

Thanks. When I saw the pic I didn't wanna believe it at first. After all she was a swimmer. :eek:
I've seen a couple of photos of her like during the 2006 Grand Prix and on a private vacation with the Prince.

Back
Top Bottom