Charlene Wittstock's Education & Swimming Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that Charlene is a fairly polarizing figure and there is certainly much she could have done (in regards to charity work and learning French) prior to her marriage to Prince Albert but seriously, coming in 5th on a relay team at the Summer Olympics is not an accomplishment?!

I am sorry but I find that a bit insulting. I am not a swimmer (really not an athlete at all) but I wager that Charlene didn't wake up one morning and decide oh...I want to be a swimmer and go to the Olympics. Its so easy.

Olympic swimmers are athletes that put a lot of time in the pool and in the gym trying to get conditioned to qualify for their regional, national, world and Olympic trials. You don't think that's an accomplishment? Ask the ladies who didn't get a chance to go to Sydney representing their country because they placed behind Charlene. Ask them what they think of her swimming? 5th place isn't anything in a relay? Many a relay team has lost their race or their timing was off because one person on their team wasn't fast enough? Ask the people who came in 6th or didn't qualify for the final. I bet those who didn't qualify for the final woudl kill for 5th place.

Its the Olympics. If it wasn't a big deal, you would not have thousands of athletes all over the world trying to qualify in their particular sport to go to the Olympics.

I know some are dismissive of Charlene, but let's keep some things in prospective.

Last edited:
I know very little about sport, but I've been a teacher / lecturer for many years, so I'll concentrate on that.

CW could still improve her mind (never too late) by attending university outreach programmes and classes - no need to get a full-blown degree - just to show others (of any age) that education is paramount if one wants an interesting and rewarding life.

FanofMonaco said:
Sheik I think you're full of baloney. I graduated from high school at age 17 and didn't skip any classes. It just depends on what time of year you are born.

Did you go to school in the South Africian school system as well?

Just going to the Olympics is an achievement but we're talking bigger picture. I believe you're the one who brought up other famous people who dropped out of high school like Michele Kwan. What did Michele Kwan do after dropping out of school? Somebody else mentioned Bill Gates, what did he do after he dropped out?

Charlene dropping out of school is much bigger deal because it's not a common thing to do in SA at all. We don't have Wheaties boxes that your face goes on, there aren't big endorsement deals for 5th place swimmers. The big sports in South Africa are soccer, rugby and cricket. Swimming is not a big money maker. If she finished high school she at least had the chance for a scholarship to a university but she couldn't even finish high school.

I know that Charlene is a fairly polarizing figure and there is certainly much she could have done (in regards to charity work and learning French) prior to her marriage to Prince Albert but seriously, coming in 5th on a relay team at the Summer Olympics is not an accomplishment?!

I know some are dismissive of Charlene, but let's keep some things in prospective.

I have certainly been one to criticize Charlene on the Forums about her seeming disinterest in learning French. I don't think that makes her unintelligent, how can we really measure her intelligence? Just because she makes uncouth remarks to the press does not make her stupid, perhaps just unschooled in press relations.

But, seriously, she married into the Royal Family of Monaco. They are all dysfunctional and can't seem to maintain solid romantic relationships. What advantage would it be to be intellectual and aspiring in civic issues and be married to Albert? She'd go batty.

It's fun to comment on this stuff, but I'd like to see more levity on Monaco. It's tiny, it has no army, it's just a playground for the rich. It's not serious. :whistling:

:previous: I am not sure what you mean by its not serious? Are you referring to Monaco, its lack of army, the princely family as a whole or belittling Charlene's accomplishment as an Olympian? Because that's what I was talking about.

I agree that Charlene could have (if she wished or had the academic aptitude to do so) furthered her education either during her swimming career or when it was over. What I find bothersome is the fact that people don't seem to give her credit where credit is due. Just because its Charlene.

Last edited:
:previous: I am not sure what you mean by its not serious? Are you referring to Monaco, its lack of army, the princely family as a whole or belittling Charlene's accomplishment as an Olympian?

All of it. I don't take the family seriously, the insignificance of Monaco/Monte Carlo on the world stage, and the belittling of Charlene.

:previous: I am not sure what you mean by its not serious? Are you referring to Monaco, its lack of army, the princely family as a whole or belittling Charlene's accomplishment as an Olympian? Because that's what I was talking about.

I agree that Charlene could have (if she wished or had the academic aptitude to do so) furthered her education either during her swimming career or when it was over. What I find bothersome is the fact that people don't seem to give her credit where credit is due. Just because its Charlene.

I don't think talking about Charlene's achievement's or lack thereof is belittling her. I agreed that going to the Olympics is a major achievement but how is that achievement helping her in her role as princess of Monaco? If she didn't marry Albert, how would that achievement help her future career when she has no education?

I balk at celebrities being role models but really what does Charlene bring to the table as far as being an inspiration to young South African girls or as a role model for girls from Monaco? (...)

Last edited by a moderator:
(...)

What matters is that she has shown dedication and commitment to become an Olympian athlete, and that many people who have met her can attest to the fact that she is warm, kind and grounded. But furthering her education will broaden her knowledge and make her job so much easier to have intelligent, engaging conversations with people from all walks of life. That will no doubt also send a very powerful message to youngsters all over the world; that it's never too late to continue one's education.

(...)
Nevermind, i would advice this woman to dedicate time in learning french and things that might help her with her role.

(...). What matters is that she has shown dedication and commitment to become an Olympian athlete, and that many people who have met her can attest to the fact that she is warm, kind and grounded. But furthering her education will broaden her knowledge and make her job so much easier to have intelligent, engaging conversations with people from all walks of life. That will no doubt also send a very powerful message to youngsters all over the world; that it's never too late to continue one's education.
I don't know how many times I have said this. Charlene admitted she did not do well in school. An English (grammar) teacher told me if you do not do well in that subject French will be hard for you to speak, putting the phrases together. She understands it far better now than when they became engaged. She confirmed this in an interview. I saw the difference in expressions from right after the first interview in French to recently when being spoken to in French. Am I the only one paying attention to these interviews?

If you have paid attention to the interviews by and about Charlene then you know she has had personal accounts all over Monaco and one the owner of an English book store talked about her. Charlene has said in interviews who her favorite authors are she likes to read. You get an education by reading, traveling and even watching documentaries you do not have to attend courses, Charlene has tutors.
Hobbies

• Surfing is one of her favourite sports as well as hiking up mountains.
  • Reading biographies and ethnic poetry from South Africa.
  • Contemporary art.
The Palace included it in her Bio. Reading biographies, poetry and contemporary art are things one does in school to become educated. Why can some of you not see this? Perhaps the answer is women have had the Womens Lib and compete with men so much they expect every other woman to get a degree. Any idea at the amount of money spent on women's educations to have her turn around and do nothing more than be an old fashioned housewife and mother? As I said she has tutors. Diana was a drop out and never had the personal experiences Charlene does Diana did just fine. Everyone who has meet Charlene says the same thing as written above.

Speculative posts have been deleted/edited - thanks for your understanding!

Although a paper degree is desirable, it's not necessary. I would rather have street smarts like Whoopi Goldberg than have a sky high IQ and not be able to find my way to the bathroom. Cary Grant dropped out of school at a very young age but became a very successful actor and savvy businessman. Some people learn by going to school, others do better by learning from practical experience.

I resent the arrogance of IanChicks's statement about Monaco being insignificant. People are people, the size of the country is irrelevant. Thanks for adding to the Ugly American stereotype. Moreover, if you compare the US to Monaco on a per capita basis Monaco is kicking our butt. They lead us, by alot, in all the important categories: literacy rate, unemployment, universal health care, national debt, income taxes. We could learn alot from them. Ironically, I think they get alot of their advice from American advisors.

Last edited:
I don't think talking about Charlene's achievement's or lack thereof is belittling her. I agreed that going to the Olympics is a major achievement but how is that achievement helping her in her role as princess of Monaco? If she didn't marry Albert, how would that achievement help her future career when she has no education?

I balk at celebrities being role models but really what does Charlene bring to the table as far as being an inspiration to young South African girls or as a role model for girls from Monaco? (...)

In live, due to what chances are given to you, you have to make choices. Charlene became an athlete in a country that obviously doesn't offer specialized school education for future sports stars. Germany did, with East Germany even offering more professional combinations of training and school. Still, German swimmer star Franziska van Almsick (who started out in East Germany before the reunification, did not pass the final exams which would have allowed her to study eg sport or medicine after her career at university. Which is what a lot of former sports stars have done. But nobody says anything about her not being academically educated - she is today the second in command of the most important German charity for athletes.

So why is it important that Charlene who had far less possibilities to do both; being successful at school and at sports, chose her athlete career? There is so much she can still do if she wants to - see Sweden's prince Daniel, who is allowed to take university courses even though he is not qualified for that through his school education but is obviously able to do the actual work needed to pass the exams.
And if she doesn't want to: there is so much she can do in her position as the princess of Monaco, with or without further formal education. She reads. That is good.

Katharyn, I too have suggested that CW could attend university courses in her region which is full of educational institutions, e.g. Sophia-Antipolis.

There is nothing whatsoever to stop her.

Mette-Marit has children and still manages to continue her studies.

Katharyn, I too have suggested that CW could attend university courses in her region which is full of educational institutions, e.g. Sophia-Antipolis.

There is nothing whatsoever to stop her.

Mette-Marit has children and still manages to continue her studies.

In my opinion academia is highly overated (by some). Although I have a bachelor's and master's degree (cum laude), I have found that the lessons learned in life to be much more valuable than the academic education.

I don't put people down for a having university degrees, but feel that the lessons of life (for example, the discipline and hard work to get to the Olympics) have a much heavier impact on one's experiences and upon others you encounter in life.

That said, I also acknowledge that just getting through the university experience can be rewarding in and of itself.

If Charlene plays her cards right, she could have BOTH.

I understand the point about dusty, boring courses; I have designed some innovative, hands-on courses for my students over the years, and they seemed to like them, and still managed to get a qualification.

The two Casiraghi, and Louis, will have an idea of this kind of teaching which, often, encourages practical, innovative thinking.

In my opinion academia is highly overated (by some). Although I have a bachelor's and master's degree (cum laude), I have found that the lessons learned in life to be much more valuable than the academic education.

I don't put people down for a having university degrees, but feel that the lessons of life (for example, the discipline and hard work to get to the Olympics) have a much heavier impact on one's experiences and upon others you encounter in life.

That said, I also acknowledge that just getting through the university experience can be rewarding in and of itself.
I agree with you and said that myself about what we learn in life. Her reading, travel and the people she meets are educating her.

If Charlene plays her cards right, she could have BOTH.

I understand the point about dusty, boring courses; I have designed some innovative, hands-on courses for my students over the years, and they seemed to like them, and still managed to get a qualification.

The two Casiraghi, and Louis, will have an idea of this kind of teaching which, often, encourages practical, innovative thinking.
Apparently like many Charlene hasn't wanted to get a degree. I'm sorry in her position as a wife and future mother she honestly has no need for a degree since she will never work outside the home what degree's are intended for. I noticed you only mentioned Louis, and the two Casiraghi's and would assume you meant Andrea and Pierre not the females like Charlene is. Albert didn't seem to mind her lack of education so it shouldn't be such an important issue to others.

I wonder how many people criticizing Charlene's lack of education are fans of Diana who was also a high school drop out/ not to bright woman.

For my part, I am not criticising Charlene for not having a university degree.

On the contrary, I would wish her to get the opportunity to, perhaps, do some lecturing at a sports university.

Here's a question, Charlene had 5 years to improve herself, learn French and she did nothing of the sort.

What makes you think that she's going to start working on improving herself now? She doesn't need a college degree to be a princess but she can't even pull off the bare minimum requirements. What does it matter if she reads biographies if she can't give a decent interview without sounding vapid?

As for comparing her to Diana again, yes Diana wasn't the brightest and she was a high school drop out. Diana on the other hand lived in an English speaking country but made the effort to give a speach in Welsh, when she went on tour to Italy with Charles she spoke some Italian. She was far from fluent and her pronounciation wasn't the greatest but she made the effort. Diana was also able to go out and speak and interact with the people of the country she was a princess of. And let's not just compare her to Diana, how about the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William who learnt French. How is Charlene going to do her duties in Monaco when she can't speak the language of her people? She speaks English and Afrikaans but the South African newspapers are saying that she seems uncomfortable and uneasy. If she can't get it right in South Africa her country of birth, where she speaks the language, how is she going to fare in Monaco or the rest of Europe?

I wonder how many people criticizing Charlene's lack of education are fans of Diana who was also a high school drop out/ not to bright woman.

I don´t want to start a discussion that do not correspond to this thread, but how do you know she was not smart? She put everyone around her to shame, especially her husband, with only 30 years.
As fas as I know she finished school in Switzerland, she spoke a little French, having lived there very little time, she could deliver a speeh in Welsh, she played piano, she was a good swimmer, made ballet and diving. She worked in a kindergarden. So, she had done something with her life when she married, only at 19.

edit: we poste almost at the same time sandwichshaik. Well, probably she dropped school, but, yes, she was so easy going, so what counts more?

Last edited:
Here's a question, Charlene had 5 years to improve herself, learn French and she did nothing of the sort.

What makes you think that she's going to start working on improving herself now? She doesn't need a college degree to be a princess but she can't even pull off the bare minimum requirements. What does it matter if she reads biographies if she can't give a decent interview without sounding vapid?

As for comparing her to Diana again, yes Diana wasn't the brightest and she was a high school drop out. Diana on the other hand lived in an English speaking country but made the effort to give a speach in Welsh, when she went on tour to Italy with Charles she spoke some Italian. She was far from fluent and her pronounciation wasn't the greatest but she made the effort. Diana was also able to go out and speak and interact with the people of the country she was a princess of. And let's not just compare her to Diana, how about the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William who learnt French. How is Charlene going to do her duties in Monaco when she can't speak the language of her people? She speaks English and Afrikaans but the South African newspapers are saying that she seems uncomfortable and uneasy. If she can't get it right in South Africa her country of birth, where she speaks the language, how is she going to fare in Monaco or the rest of Europe?
Please provide the links from SA for us to read as we have been asked to do. Charlene has been learning French.

Learning French for 5 years and she can't even speak it? Making excuses for her is making her look worse than she is. I think Charlene fans just need to accept that's she's pretty, she's nice and stop trying to build her up into something she's not.

beeld.com and news24.co.za has all the news you want from South Africa.

Here are some links to a couple of articles I mentioned, they need to be run through google translator. There are some errors but you get the gist of it. The first one talks about Charlene not given the chance to talk to the press even after they begged. Prince Albert did kiss her for the cameras. It also mentions that at times she looked uncomfortable and distracted.

The second article talks about Charlene meeting Desmond Tutu. Meeting with charities, she had a slight smile, had a few soft words but her signature has quite a flourish. They talk about her being surrounded by a ring of people from her inner cirlce(who are they?), she had to cut her visit short, cancel a third charitable meeting with the WWF. Organizers wouldn't say why Charlene was whisked away. A confidant said that Charlene would be flown back to Durban where she and Albert would depart for Monaco on urgent business.

Zuma laat Charlene-hulle 2 uur wag: Beeld: Suid-Afrika: Nuus

Charlene glimlag darem al word besoek geknip: Beeld: Suid-Afrika: Nuus

Learning French for 5 years and she can't even speak it? Making excuses for her is making her look worse than she is. I think Charlene fans just need to accept that's she's pretty, she's nice and stop trying to build her up into something she's not.
I've heard her speak French you must have missed it. No one is making excuses for her, its obvious you dislike her with a passion and you don't even know her. Why is it so important to you that everyone sees the worst and not the good qualities Charlene does have? It isn't harming you that some wish to see good in a world full of hate. And sometimes a childhood dream can become a reality when a commoner becomes a beautiful Princess.

Learning French for 5 years and she can't even speak it?

Apparently she understands it better than she can speak it - very common when learning a language. So she can understand the conversations happening around her. She does not speak the language well, I am also given to understand, but she has achieved some ability. Again, learning a language is not easy for some - it seems that may be the case for Charlene but she has certainly made headway and that's an achievement that should be lauded.

Diana not only dropped out of high school, she left the Finishing School in Switzerland early, too, in the midst of the school year. Diana worked as a nursery assistant - not a lead teacher - because she had no qualifications to do anything else. She did not have a choice because she did not have an education that would have made choices possible for her - but she did seek out work, and that is laudable. Diana was not fluent in Welsh and in no way could converse in Welsh. In no way did Diana put Charles to shame in the intellect department - it was one of the problems with the match - Charles is intellectually curious, Diana was not. As she herself said about herself - something about being as 'dull as a plank'? Not sure if I have that right - I do know she admitted to not being very bright by her own estimation. (In fairness to her, she was acutely savvy in other ways - very sharp when it came to managing her own image, for example). None of this matters, though, of course, except that you seem to have been implying that Diana's intellect was superior to Charles' and that Diana's 'education' and intellectual abilities better than Charlene's.

I don´t want to start a discussion that do not correspond to this thread, but how do you know she was not smart? She put everyone around her to shame, especially her husband, with only 30 years.
As fas as I know she finished school in Switzerland, she spoke a little French, having lived there very little time, she could deliver a speeh in Welsh, she played piano, she was a good swimmer, made ballet and diving. She worked in a kindergarden. So, she had done something with her life when she married, only at 19.

Last edited:
I've heard her speak French you must have missed it. No one is making excuses for her, its obvious you dislike her with a passion and you don't even know her. Why is it so important to you that everyone sees the worst and not the good qualities Charlene does have? It isn't harming you that some wish to see good in a world full of hate. And sometimes a childhood dream can become a reality when a commoner becomes a beautiful Princess.

Please post a video of her speaking French.

Who's full of hate? Why can't we be objective instead of being like you who tries to make excuse after excuse for Charlene. Why not just take what we see at face value? So far in defense of her you've made her look worse than she is.

What we know about her (..) she seems nice and has good intentions. We also know that she's not very bright going by her track record and her disasterous comments when she opens her mouth. They wouldn't let her speak in South Africa, her home country where she actually speaks the language. What does that tell us? By her own admission in the interview with 702 radio she wakes up, has coffee, checks her e-mail and starts going through the protocol files. She talks about there being a lot of protocol to learn about before the wedding and for traveling abroad. Then she checks on what Albert is doing then she spends her evenings at charity events. No mention of tutors or classes as you've bandied about.

You've also talked a lot about their relationship being an open relationship and how it's well known that he dated other women while he was supposed to be in a relationship with her. She has no money of her own, no job and Monaco is expensive.

How is that anywhere close to be a fairytale or a princess dream come true.

While I agree that Princess Charlène could have used her time in Monaco better to master French by now and to take advantage of other educational privileges like private tutoring, there are a couple of points I would like to make:

• She is fluent in Afrikaans. Many years back I saw an interview with her on an Afrikaans TV news bulletin in SA, related to a swimming event she had participated in. As I mentioned before, speaking Afrikaans gives her an advantage to be able to communicate with Dutch- and Flemish-speaking folks too. (Sorry, I cannot find a link of this – it was a long time ago before she moved to Monaco.)
• The reason why she was 'not allowed' to answer questions from the media last week in SA is possibly because they (the media) can be very insensitive, and would no doubt have questioned her on her feelings about the latest scandal. It takes a very media-savvy person to deal with such a, erm, 'delicate' situation – and she certainly lacks skills in that department, admittedly.
• She does seem to be able to at least understand some French. In my own experience, while traveling in France, I was better off sticking to English because my bad, broken French did not go down very well. Imagine practicing your French in the media spotlight! I hope that she makes an effort though, and that her French will improve to a level where she would feel comfortable speaking it in public situations.
• Indeed, she can certainly not be considered as an intellectual. But the experience and know-how she acquired from many years of traveling internationally while competing in swimming tournaments – not to mention the dedication it takes to be an Olympian athlete – provided her with a different kind of skills set that will come in very handy.
• Although there's no black-on-white evidence that she has had cosmetic surgery, I believe that she has. But she was always pretty, and really didn't need it. Whatever her reasons, it was her choice. But she certainly isn't only pretty now as a result of it, as implied.
• I think (hope) that now that they're married and her role is defined, she will use her time better to not only be considered is Prince Albert's 'arm candy'... Apart from producing an heir she has to dedicate time to become fluent in French, enrich herself with knowledge in many other areas, build relationships, continue with her commitments to various charities, hopefully launch Monaco's first Fashion Week – all the while behaving like a worthy role-model and dress for/look the part.

For those of us who do like Princess Charlène and believe she has potential, it is important to not be oblivious to her shortcomings, as pointed out by SandwichSheik. She is certainly not the fairytale princess some make her out to be. But she also doesn't deserve some of the cruel criticism. I wish her all the luck in the world. She's going to need it!

I think Charlene and Diana have a lot in common, certainly more than other Princesses. Diana was not a smart or intellectual person, when she dropped out of high school, and finishing school, she had no plan on what to do. From what I can tell Charlene dropped out because she felt she could better serve her time preparing for the Olympics. Just because Diana was good at manipulating the media doesn't mean she was somehow a smart person or in any way better than Prince Charles.
Both of CnD are blonde, blue eyes, pretty, younger than their husbands, and good dressers. Anyone who dislikes either of them will just harp on the bad things they have or haven't done.

This discussion is quite interesting, but more so I can't wait to see how it will all play out for her. Her background as an Olympic medalist does show admirable personality traits, it takes a lot of discipline to get to the Olympics and win. Not all of us are meant to be intellectuals. I would think that in 5 or 10 years which she has been around Monaco they must have figure out she has the capacity to fill the role? The people of Monaco seem to have displayed much affection for her despite her inability to communicate in their language.

Back
Top Bottom