Charlene Wittstock's Education & Swimming Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Olympians don't have confidence problems. She doesn't need a high school degree. If she can read she can learn. The Grimaldis will teach her what she needs to know for her job as a Princess. That will be much more valuable for her.
She doesn't need to get her high school degree, but I think it would be a wonderful accomplishment. I think seeing Charlene go back and get her education would be inspirational to a lot of people. But more importantly, it would be something she could look on proudly. Don't get me wrong, I think she will be fine in her role (she's doing well so far), I would just love to see her finish school.

Maybe I am judging her priorities by my own....I love make-up and gossip and fashion, etc. but I think I would go insane without books and constant self-education. The world is so big and complex...there is so much out there. :sad:

That's me too. I love all of the frivolous stuff, but I also need my books.

Moonmaiden, I also read about her not knowing Placido Domingo. I think she's had a few little mishaps like that. Hopefully she (or the Palace) is taking the time to correct those issues.

Last edited:
Regards education, I do not judge a person based on what degree they hold, if any, as I find not everybody that graduates from college is well-educated. Some go just to say they've been to college, some go because it is expected of them, and some just slide through. Just because one has been to college doesn't mean s/he is intelligent.

Some of the most truly intelligent people out there are self-taught, never been to college, but can blow anybody away with their mental acuity. Also, it is good to keep in mind that education continues throughout one's life, it does not end with a piece of paper. :D That piece of paper means nothing if all the lights are on, but nobody's home. ;)

Anyhow, that's my take on *education*.

Here's to Charlene, and her future as First Lady of Monaco, and all that she will learn in the coming decades ~ Salute! :cheers:

Nadine, some of the least informed people I know in my private life have college degrees...they simply studied in their field of interest, got a "degree" and voila! NOW they are considered EDUCATED. :bang:

They are considered "educated"...but this is not necessarily what I meant by CW completing her education even though it is an option.

She should expand her field of knowledge and expertise beyond sports and clothing and...let's say other "cosmetic" things ;) to avoid feeling uncomfortable or even embarrassed when she is inevitably exposed to people who have more to offer.

The Placido Domingo issue and her interview with Patrick Poivre(??) are perfect examples...she just came off as....limited. :sad:

IMO,
Even if Miss Wittstock finished the educational goals that other people want her to finish, I do not think it would change anything about her. Only those with a college degree do not swear or wear a [ ITunes ]
Call to work out kinks

[ ITunes ]
Call to work out kinks
• bra??

NotHRH said:
IMO,
Even if Miss Wittstock finished the educational goals that other people want her to finish, I do not think it would change anything about her. Only those with a college degree do not swear or wear a [ ITunes ]
Call to work out kinks

[ ITunes ]
Call to work out kinks
• bra??

Some will always make big issues about anything because in some way, it makes them feel superior when putting down others. Prince Albert has finally picked a bride - at 53 years of age. He has been photographed with various women throughout the years. For whatever reasons he has chosen marry CW, and his reasons are his own. He does not have to explain them to any one, nor does anybody else have to understand them!

Nadine, some of the least informed people I know in my private life have college degrees...they simply studied in their field of interest, got a "degree" and voila! NOW they are considered EDUCATED. :bang:

They are considered "educated"...but this is not necessarily what I meant by CW completing her education even though it is an option.

She should expand her field of knowledge and expertise beyond sports and clothing and...let's say other "cosmetic" things ;) to avoid feeling uncomfortable or even embarrassed when she is inevitably exposed to people who have more to offer.

The Placido Domingo issue and her interview with Patrick Poivre(??) are perfect examples...she just came off as....limited. :sad:

Moonmaiden23, but how do you know she has not expanded her field of knowledge beyond sports and clothing? And oh yes, other "cosmetic" things as you imply; btw your claws are awfully sharp when you are being catty. ;) After all even you admitted the Placido Domingo issue that you mentioned in another post does not have any proof, just a rumour in a blog.

Don't you see, this is all supposition, we don't have a clue as to what Charlene is *really* like in private, just a few blurbs in an interview or in a magazine, which is edited of course and can be spliced to make her look bad, as history has shown this has happened to many individuals in the limelight, past and present.

Furthermore, many tend to think the worst of people, especially those they have a dislike for, either real or imagined. Whereas if you think the best of people, well you know what I mean... :)

My point? Give Charlene a chance, she's not even married yet, the start bell will truly go off once she officially becomes Princess Charlene, First Lady of Monaco, less than a month away (btw I don't envy her that position, lol). :eek: :D

Moonmaiden23, but how do you know she has not expanded her field of knowledge beyond sports and clothing? And oh yes, other "cosmetic" things as you imply; btw your claws are awfully sharp when you are being catty. ;) After all even you admitted the Placido Domingo issue that you mentioned in another post does not have any proof, just a rumour in a blog.

Don't you see, this is all supposition, we don't have a clue as to what Charlene is *really* like in private, just a few blurbs in an interview or in a magazine, which is edited of course and can be spliced to make her look bad, as history has shown this has happened to many individuals in the limelight, past and present.

Furthermore, many tend to think the worst of people, especially those they have a dislike for, either real or imagined. Whereas if you think the best of people, well you know what I mean... :)

My point? Give Charlene a chance, she's not even married yet, the start bell will truly go off once she officially becomes Princess Charlene, First Lady of Monaco, less than a month away (btw I don't envy her that position, lol). :eek: :D

You are right on. A good many on here that post, don't know diddly about Placido Domingo ( he was wonderful) or anything about opera. People grow into their positions and learn as they go on and meet different challenges. Everyone deserves a chance.

We need to keep in mind that she has been a resident in Monaco for something like five years !

During that time, she will have met a large number of Monegasques and residents, visitors, politicians etc.

She would also have been learning from PA, especially in the last two years or so, when she must have realised that her role would have been a permanent one.

In the words of Countess: Everyone deserves a chance.

I have ears Nadine. I have listened to and read her interviews. She cannot speak the language of the country she has lived in for six years...that, for me, is troubling.

If I was the only one noticing these things, I would indeed be being "catty" as you put it.

I don't think she is an idiot.I have praised her for her will and discipline and I also sense that she is genuinely kind and warm.

I don't dislike CW, and if you are honest you would admit from reading my other comments on other topics that I have praised her sense of style and fashion a lot.

So, just because I am not a Charlene shill, please don't label me a hater. Why does everything have to be black or white on these Forums?

Maybe in the future, I should stick to gushing over her killer wardrobe.

Last edited:
Moonmaiden,
anyone reading your contributions would see that you are being fair to her.
I'm in a similar situation because I'm being somewhat critical of Charlene because of her lack of French.
But I think these are fair points, not hate-driven, but designed to gain further insight(s).

To reason that HSH Prince Albert of Monaco is marrying Miss Wittstock simply for her educational milestones and knowledge of the arts and culture, is probably far from true. Anyway, what is the worry about Miss Wittstock not knowing who Placido Domingo is? Many younger adults I spoke with the day Elizabeth Taylor passed away, simply had not even heard of Ms. Taylor. Anyway, why are women so competitive and nit-picky when it comes to a woman they cannot compete with? I do believe envy has everything to do with it. She will become very wealthy as she assumes the role of the princess-consort of Monaco. Read 'em and weep, ladies!

Can someone tell me when this happened ?
When did she say she doesn't know about Placido Domingo?

Moonmaiden I agree with Renata your posts are very fair towards her.

Everyone around Charlene including Albert spoke to her in English and her group of friends speak English as well. If everyone is speaking English there wasn't much need for her to learn French. She said she didn't do well in school with that being said she would be having trouble learning French.

I think that, at some stage, we will have to start giving Charlene the benefit of the doubt.

We know her education wasn't quite what we expected.

We know that she is struggling with French.

We know that she is surrounded by English speakers.

We know that PA (and others, presumably) has not made much of an effort to help her with French.

But we will have to put some of these things aside, and concentrate on the wedding.

I hope CW will see that every day, in or out of the Principality, has lots of chances to improve herself.
Any children she may have will benefit from that.

To reason that HSH Prince Albert of Monaco is marrying Miss Wittstock simply for her educational milestones and knowledge of the arts and culture, is probably far from true. Anyway, what is the worry about Miss Wittstock not knowing who Placido Domingo is? Many younger adults I spoke with the day Elizabeth Taylor passed away, simply had not even heard of Ms. Taylor. Anyway, why are women so competitive and nit-picky when it comes to a woman they cannot compete with? I do believe envy has everything to do with it. She will become very wealthy as she assumes the role of the princess-consort of Monaco. Read 'em and weep, ladies!

All women are not competitive and nit-picky. I admire CW's beauty and style and have said so many times.

I also have a life myself, and accomplishments that I can be proud of.

I don't need to be envious of anyone. I don't "weep". I don't have to.

Please don't make those kinds of assumptions about me or anyone else on this Forum, just because we don't think CW is beyond criticism.

They(assumptions such as yours) are boring and ridiculous.

Thank you Lady MacAlpine...and Renata4711 I also agree 100% with what you have posted. I look forward to seeing CW perform her duties as Princess...I think we are all in for a surprise.

Last edited:
Thanks soapstar.

I think posts directed at CW's lack of intellectual curiousity are more out of concern for HER. I like her. I want her to succeed.

I love Monaco and want it restored to something of it's former glory.

And I know that it takes more to be a successful woman of substance...someone that others take seriously...than simply being attractive and well turned out.

At least in the 21st Century, which is where we all are.

You can only depend on looks and a great wardrobe to take you so far in life.

I am disappointed and a little baffled that PA and CW have not taken the five years that she has lived in the Principality to make sure that she can speak to her future subjects in their own language BUT...I don't think she is doomed to failure because of it.

I am willing to give her a chance.

I am glad that in the responses to my last post were filled with positive words about Miss Wittstock. If one reads this thread from the last three 'pages,' Miss Wittstock's is thought to be 'uneducated' for her future position as HSH Prince Albert's princess- consort. Nit-picky does indeed describe those who are anti-CW - who cares if she does not know of Placido Domingo? I guess PA will have to change the legalities in Monaco to require a future consort to be aware of Mr. Domingo existence and his chosen career.
'Read 'em and weep' is nothing more than an expression used by many people. It was not stated to be taken literally. I do look forward to viewing PA/CW's wedding on television. I hope the remainder of their days together are happy ones!

We're all looking forward to the wedding broadcast.

But I, for one, won't let myself be muzzled if I feel I have to disagree.

I only state my posts the way I see things. I am not attempting to force anyone to 'see' a situation the way I do. After a 5 year relationship, I would hope PA knows exactly what he is getting into. If CW gives the impression that she is uneducated, maybe she is uneducated. The fact remains she will become PA's consort very soon - uneducated or not.
Again, I am not trying to change anything, especially other's views on this particular thread.

Thanks soapstar.

I think posts directed at CW's lack of intellectual curiousity are more out of concern for HER. I like her. I want her to succeed.

I love Monaco and want it restored to something of it's former glory.

And I know that it takes more to be a successful woman of substance...someone that others take seriously...than simply being attractive and well turned out.

At least in the 21st Century, which is where we all are.

You can only depend on looks and a great wardrobe to take you so far in life.

I am disappointed and a little baffled that PA and CW have not taken the five years that she has lived in the Principality to make sure that she can speak to her future subjects in their own language BUT...I don't think she is doomed to failure because of it.

I am willing to give her a chance.

You're welcome.:)

I'm baffled about the language thing too, but hopefully she's working on it.

I have to chuckle about all of these American posters who are complaining about Charlene not being fluent in French yet. The US is the worst country in the world at learning foreign languages. I have had 4 and 1/2 years of French and I am horrible at it. I am guessing most of the US posters don't speak a foreign language fluently or they learned it at a very young age ,when it is much simpler to pick up. This posting isn't even grammatically correct and it's in my native language!

I have to chuckle about all of these American posters who are complaining about Charlene not being fluent in French yet. The US is the worst country in the world at learning foreign languages. I have had 4 and 1/2 years of French and I am horrible at it. I am guessing most of the US posters don't speak a foreign language fluently or they learned it at a very young age ,when it is much simpler to pick up. This posting isn't even grammatically correct and it's in my native language!

What does the nationality have to do? Englishe speakers do not need to learn another language as we need to learn English to work, to travel...
I am not American and I am amazed at how lazy she is. She´s been living there for several years, and she´s not even bubled a sentence or at least try, with mistakes and all. That shows how much she is involved with her future country´s culture. I cannot imagine if she had to learn Monaco´s history.

What does the nationality have to do? Englishe speakers do not need to learn another language as we need to learn English to work, to travel...
I am not American and I am amazed at how lazy she is. She´s been living there for several years, and she´s not even bubled a sentence or at least try, with mistakes and all. That shows how much she is involved with her future country´s culture. I cannot imagine if she had to learn Monaco´s history.

Exactly! And the idea that it is another person's fault that Charlene doesn't speak French--it is the very fact that people have been so eager to make excuses for her all this time, that she has not bothered to invest herself in any real way, other than posing for cameras. I don't understand how Albert or his people ever thought this was going to impress the world, or thinking they could just make stuff up and getting someone to print it would mean they were successful in getting anyone to believe it, The proof is in the pudding, as they say!

If Charlene was new there I would be more forgiving, but it is because this girl has done nothing but slide by in life, so why should it occur to her that anything should ever be required of her, she is the one that gave an interview about her "privileged life" she was living. Many here just said how Albert will get the press to spin it! And Albert's money would take care of everything!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am glad that in the responses to my last post were filled with positive words about Miss Wittstock. If one reads this thread from the last three 'pages,' Miss Wittstock's is thought to be 'uneducated' for her future position as HSH Prince Albert's princess- consort. Nit-picky does indeed describe those who are anti-CW - who cares if she does not know of Placido Domingo? I guess PA will have to change the legalities in Monaco to require a future consort to be aware of Mr. Domingo existence and his chosen career.
'Read 'em and weep' is nothing more than an expression used by many people. It was not stated to be taken literally. I do look forward to viewing PA/CW's wedding on television. I hope the remainder of their days together are happy ones!

Regarding the many types of people she is going to meet and the fact that she actually represents a country makes it a factor! I do not care that Charlene does not have a formal education, I care that she she has no interest in wanting to educate herself. I care that with all the opportunity she has been afforded in both time and money all these years, she expected that people would let her slide by in this position. It goes to the point that maybe she should have thought what this position would entail and what it would require of her regardless of any input by Albert. That fact that someone needs to tell her is the very problem people have with her as not even to be able to take responsibility for herself like a mature adult. The idea here that Albert and his bride are so above it and that no one's opinions of them could touch them is exactly the problem they are having now.;) They need to attract a certain crowd and Charlene does not represent that crowd in anyway, and words are cheap!

Well, after the wedding extravaganza, she'll have to show her mettle (provided she has any) and she will need to earn the respect of the Monegasques and the residents of Monaco.

Then we'll see whether she is genuine or just a "living doll"...

I don't think anyone could possible be confused by that first fact, but while the fact that Ms Wittstock will become very wealthy may impress you, I assure you it will not impress the already wealthy people that Monaco really needs to attract.

I would be very interested to hear how or why Charlene is meant to attract a wealthy educated cultured crowd to Monaco, or why you don't think that Monaco's economy is very important? I think the difference here between the people's attitudes is that there are those that do not have a high regard of Ms Wittstock because they are people who are more concerned with the welfare of Albert and Monaco, while others seem to only be concerned with Miss Wittstock's welfare and that of her new found wealth. I think that is the polarizing point here..

I don't care about her wealth, either. What I see is a large amount of criticism without any real knowledge of what the woman does in her own time, how she is dealing with learning French. Her education may be going on right now. She may be witty and fun and a pleasure to spend time with. No one here knows her. It is all conjecture and ugly conjecture at that. No one from the sporting world that does know her has written any "bad words" about her. She seems to get along with her future in-laws. There are no protests in the country. She has the first attribute most royal brides, today, have, beauty. The rest, I guess, they can fill in and they may not have to, she may do far better than some here would like to think.

I completely agree about Americans being the worst at languages. I can read French fairly well and Spanish just so-so...but I am fluent in neither.

I wish that I was, but I have never lived overseas.

BUT...you can believe that if I HAD lived in a foreign country for FIVE long years and didn't have to worry about anything at all other than perfecting my appearance, I'd damn well become fluent in the language. :ermm:

There is simply NO EXCUSE for CW, imo, and pointing out how lousy we as Americans are at languages is beside the point.

ETA: When she first came to Monaco I am one of the posters sandsla is using as an example...who defended everything and anything she said, did(or wore for that matter)

I have not changed my opinion that she has a great sense of style and seems kind and likeable.

But there is no excuse for her not to have used her time(the last five or six years) in Monaco to become fluent in French, Italian or both. If she has been using her time to do something else just as important or more useful, I am fairly certain that PA and the Palace would have made everyone aware of it by now.

I am being as honest I can.

Last edited:
I completely agree about Americans being the worst at languages. I can read French fairly well and Spanish just so-so...but I am fluent in neither.

I wish that I was, but I have never lived overseas.

BUT...you can believe that if I HAD lived in a foreign country for FIVE long years and didn't have to worry about anything at all other than perfecting my appearance, I'd damn well become fluent in the language. :ermm:

There is simply NO EXCUSE for CW, imo, and pointing out how lousy we as Americans are at languages is beside the point.

ETA: When she first came to Monaco I am one of the posters sandsla is using as an example...who defended everything and anything she said, did(or wore for that matter)

I have not changed my opinion that she has a great sense of style and seems kind and likeable.

But there is no excuse for her not to have used her time(the last five or six years) in Monaco to become fluent in French, Italian or both. If she has been using her time to do something else just as important or more useful, I am fairly certain that PA and the Palace would have made everyone aware of it by now.

I am being as honest I can.

Thank you, I appreciate that. Also the people that want to make excuse for her all these years probably did not help her to realize what she needed to do. It's not that I think every woman has to be a rocket science, but Monaco especially needed someone at least interested in art and culture, because that is what that country has to offer. Whatever a woman's strong points are they need to bring it! it reaslly seems such a waist of an opportunity for someone who is not interested in doing that. I really think offering swimming lessons is not a big help, after all I am sure there is already someone there that offers swimming lessons--Albert didn't need to marry them. The sad thing is--the fact that she doesn't seem the least bit interested makes me think in truth she may not ever really enjoy the actual job! She should have given that some thought, it requires some work!

Well one thing is for sure! ;) I speak better French than Charlene does!:D I took French in school instead of Spanish, but I live in California, and although I live in an English speaking country, it is hard for anyone living here to not have picked up some Spanish?I don't need to tell you what languages I speak or what languages my parents and the different languages my many friends speak, but you are assuming a lot? I think moonmaiden makes my point! And I would not be so harsh on Charlene and her language skills if I did not think it was indicative of her character and her approach to everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom