Charlene & Albert's Twins - Guess the Sex, Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A Prince or Princess for Monaco?

• A Boy

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • A Girl

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Twins - Boy / Boy

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Twins - Girl / Girl

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Twins - Boy / Girl

Votes: 51 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would they be allowed to throw in a Non-catholic royal as a godparent?

Maxima is not Catholic as she converted when she married Willem did she not?

Edit: Just read that apparently she did not convert.

Incorrect Queen Maxima is Catholic she never convert to Protestantism. Didn't Princess Charlene reveal in a recent interview she was close to Queen Maxima so maybe she might act as one of the twins godparents?

I wonder how many godparents the children will have... Since the family is catholic I'd say 4...

I always think that one of the twins may have Queen Maxima as godmother and may have the name Maxime or Maxima among his or her names.
Charlene also said she appreciates Sophie of Wessex, she also may be a godmother even she is not catholic, she can be godmother as Princess Victoria of Sweden was godmother of Princess Eleonor of Belgium.

Queen Victoria Eugenie acted as Albert II's godmother it would be a nice to see maybe Queen Letizia or Sofia of Spain as a royal godparent.

I always think that one of the twins may have Queen Maxima as godmother and may have the name Maxime or Maxima among his or her names.
Charlene also said she appreciates Sophie of Wessex, she also may be a godmother even she is not catholic, she can be godmother as Princess Victoria of Sweden was godmother of Princess Eleonor of Belgium.

She did say she appreciated Sophie once, so that is why I was wondering if a non Catholic could be a Godparent as Sophie isn't. If Maxima is close then I can see her being a godparent, particularly as she is a Queen. Sophie could be one of the godparents to the second twin as that twin wont necassrily "need" high up royal godparents.

She did say she appreciated Sophie once, so that is why I was wondering if a non Catholic could be a Godparent as Sophie isn't. If Maxima is close then I can see her being a godparent, particularly as she is a Queen. Sophie could be one of the godparents to the second twin as that twin wont necassrily "need" high up royal godparents.

A non catholic who is a baptized christian can be what is called a christian witness as long as the other person serving as a godparent is catholic. So Sophie could be a christian witness.

I personally hope for 1 boy and 1 girl.
If it's a boy: Rainier/Charles/Louis/Albert
If it's a girl: Isabella/Charlene/Katherine/Alexandra

I hope for a boy and a girl too, but as there has been recent speculation in the French media that the twins will be boys, I'm starting to have my doubts. I still like my prediction of Athénaïs as I do believe it has been used in the Princely Family before. As a combination, I like the sound of Athénaïs Marie Ghislaine. For a boy, I'm still liking Florestan, and also like the combination Florestan Albert Charles Louis. I may have said it before, but there are some beautiful names amongst the historical Monegasque royals.

I like the idea of Queen Maxima as a godparent - I've read that she and Charlene are indeed quite close and that Maxima calls Charlene and gives her advice, though I'm not sure where I read that. I also think a member of the Grimaldi family will be chosen (perhaps Princess Caroline or Andrea Casiraghi), as well as a member of Charlene's family or a close friend of the couple.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I agree with you. Athenais would be cool

For a boy, I'm still liking Florestan, and also like the combination Florestan Albert Charles Louis. I may have said it before, but there are some beautiful names amongst the historical Monegasque royals.

I just recently read that Florestan I's actual first name was Tancrède.:ohmy:

Don't be disappointed if the twins have modern names, especially any girl child.

I like the idea of Queen Maxima as a godparent - I've read that she and Charlene are indeed quite close and that Maxima calls Charlene and gives her advice, though I'm not sure where I read that.

I think I read it in a interview that PC gave to Svensk Damtidning just hours before the wedding of princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I think it might be boy/girl twins, though I hope it's same-sex twins. Perhaps Sylvie for a girl? IIRC, Charlène's grandmother is/was Sylvia and it's a name rising in popularity. As for a boy, I really like the sound of Gaston Grimaldi, but that might be a bit too far out a guess.

Charles Rainier (Michel) Louis and Sylvie Antoinette Grace (Caroline)

And my current guesses for godparents:
The heir: Queen Máxima of the Netherlands; Caroline, Princess of Hanover; Chris LeVine; and Gareth Wittstock.
The spare: King Felipe VI of Spain; Sophie, Countess of Wessex; Donatella Knecht de Massy; and Sean Wittstock.

I just recently read that Florestan I's actual first name was Tancrède.:ohmy:

Gosh, that's a bit of a mouthful! I think we can safely say that we won't be seeing a Prince Tancrède. I'm usually good at guessing the pronunciation of names, but am unsure as to how I would go about pronouncing this one.

In Mad for Monaco, an article about H.S.H. Florestan I states:

The future Prince Florestan I, eighth sovereign Prince of Monaco, was born in Paris on October 10, 1785, as Tancrede Florestan Roger Louis Grimaldi.

You're basically repeating what I said to build up your post count. You also left the accent off of Tancrède.

Gosh, that's a bit of a mouthful! I think we can safely say that we won't be seeing a Prince Tancrède. I'm usually good at guessing the pronunciation of names, but am unsure as to how I would go about pronouncing this one.

You can listen to it here:

http://www.forvo.com/word/tancr%C3%A8de/

Last edited:
^^^^^^ Thanks for that!
Although i quite like the idea of such a historic name i have a feeling that the babies will have a name that's easily pronounced in english (probably because P.Charlene is not a really avid french-speaker imo).
But ofcourse that still leaves many options :flowers:

I think a boy and a girl would be nice. Not sure about a boy's name, but my obvious choice would be Ranier as I love that name. For the girl I think Charlotte Grace would be nice as it is similar to the name Charlene.
I am not very good at the Godparent question. Princess caroline springs to mind and for some reason I wonder about CP Victoria and/or Prince Daniel only because they went to their wedding.

I think The Princess is carrying two boys.

Boys:

Prince Rainier Louis Michel.
Charles Pierre Albert.

Girls:

Louise Grace Marie.
Marie Caroline Lynette.

Godparents:

(Baby #1)

HM The King of Spain.
HM The Queen of the Netherlands.
HRH The Crown Prince of Norway.

(Baby #2)

HRH The Princess of Hanover.
Mr. Christian de Massy.
Mr. Gareth Wittstock.

I think that a part Maxima or Sophie other royals are ruled out qas godparents... I'm very doubtuful about any godparent from the spanish monarchy... Maybe because I don't see any connection od partly because any of them attended the wedding... I think Princess Caroline should be one of the godparents for the heir though

I think that a part Maxima or Sophie other royals are ruled out qas godparents... I'm very doubtuful about any godparent from the spanish monarchy... Maybe because I don't see any connection od partly because any of them attended the wedding... I think Princess Caroline should be one of the godparents for the heir though

I was thinking about a Catholic Royal and remembered that the late Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain was the godmother of The Prince of Monaco, so I saw The King of Spain as a potential godparent. And Prince Albert nomited The Crown Prince of Norway to the Ice Bucket Challenge, so I suppose they're good friends.

I see The Princess of Hanover as more fitting to be a godmother of the second baby, as she has experience on being heir presumptive and can giver her nephew or niece some advice on being the spare.

I was thinking about a Catholic Royal and remembered that the late Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain was the godmother of The Prince of Monaco, so I saw The King of Spain as a potential godparent. And Prince Albert nomited The Crown Prince of Norway to the Ice Bucket Challenge, so I suppose they're good friends.

I see The Princess of Hanover as more fitting to be a godmother of the second baby, as she has experience on being heir presumptive and can giver her nephew or niece some advice on being the spare.

Do you think they will choose only catholics godparents?

After reading the interview of Princess Charlene who praised her mother in law, I think that the couple will call their daughter Grace if they have a girl or girls .

A boy and a girl (what I wish) Charles and Grace
2 boys Charles (firstborn) and Maxime
2 girls Alice (firstborn) and Grace

Godparents Queen Maxima, Caroline, Stéphanie, Chris Levine, Gareth and a prince of Polignac may be godparents

I have a feeling they will choose two names that they like and not of a Grimaldi ancester.
Althought I really like Alice for a girl and it's pronounced the same way in English and French, which I think is important when you're raised in a bilingual family.

As for the godparents I would go with Albert's sisters and Charlene's brothers.
Or Pauline and Charlotte if they want younger godmothers.

Last edited:
I have a feeling they will choose two names that they like and not of a Grimaldi ancester.
Althought I really like Alice for a girl and it's pronounced the same way in English and French, which I think is important when you're raised in a bilingual family.

I apologise for nitpicking, but I've always heard that Alice is pronounced similarly to "Elise" in French, but of course with more emphasis on the A. Or at least the native French speakers I've met and know pronounce Alice this way. It's quite a nice name, but somehow I don't think it will be chosen. I do think Grace has a very strong possibility. As I've said in a few previous posts, there are a lot of gems within the historical Monegasque Princes and Princesses, so it would be lovely IMO if a few of those names could be resurrected.

Now, I also rather like Honoré for a Prince. Florestan Honoré as a combination is divine! Both names come across as a little pretentious for me, so I don't think that combination would need a third or fourth name.

Last edited:
My predictions for girls:

Marguerite Grace Lynette
Louise Grace Lynette
Marie Grace Caroline
Charlotte Marie Grace
Josephine Grace Charlotte

More guesses:

Boy Boy
Rainier John Louis Michael
Charles Albert Alexandre Lucien

Girl Girl
Grace Honora Charlene
Florestine Charlotte Louise

Boy Girl
Charles Rainier Louis Michael
Grace Albertine Charlotte Honora

Godparents
Gareth Wittstock, Princess Caroline, male royal
Sean Wittstock, Princess Stephanie, female royal

Last edited:
I hope for boy and girl.

Boy:
Names: Honoré Rainier Louis
Godparents: Princess Caroline, Garrett Wittstock, King Felipe VI/Queen Letizia/Queen Maxima/Crown Princess Mary

Girl:
Name: Claudine Grace Antoinette
Godparents: Princess Stéphanie, Sean Wittstock, Crown Prince Haakon/Crown Prince Frederik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom