Charlene & Albert's Twins - Guess the Sex, Names and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A Prince or Princess for Monaco?

• A Boy

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • A Girl

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Twins - Boy / Boy

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Twins - Girl / Girl

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Twins - Boy / Girl

Votes: 51 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, there was an interview of Prince Albert on a channel of a french tv Canal Plus

The subject was on the soccer team ASM but at the end, the reporter said

'Your wife has the pleasure of expecting twins, will they belong to the soccer team further?
The prince answered ' I knew the joy to know the pleasure to play in a sport team, I wish that my children would know the same joy'

In french , we say twins ( jumeaux) for a boy and a girl or for 2 boys

for twins girls 2 girls we say in french (jumelles)

The reporter spoke about jumeaux but

The prince said ' my children ' we cannot say if it is one of these cases but as he answered , I think it may be 2 boys.

Yesterday, there was an interview of Prince Albert on a channel of a french tv Canal Plus

The subject was on the soccer team ASM but at the end, the reporter said

'Your wife has the pleasure of expecting twins, will they belong to the soccer team further?
The prince answered ' I knew the joy to know the pleasure to play in a sport team, I wish that my children would know the same joy'

In french , we say twins ( jumeaux) for a boy and a girl or for 2 boys

for twins girls 2 girls we say in french (jumelles)

The reporter spoke about jumeaux but

The prince said ' my children ' we cannot say if it is one of these cases but as he answered , I think it may be 2 boys.

But isn't it normal to say jumeaux about twins when you don't know the sexes of the children? (genuinely interested as I'm currently taking A-level French and I'm not that strong in the language but my exam is in two weeks, so I just wanted to get it straight :D)

Although I hope it's two girls solely based on the sexist traditions Albert chooses to follow regarding the primogeniture, I think there might be at least one boy involved. I find it extremely hard to believe that he would go out and say the things he's said without knowing that he will have a male heir.

At first I thought Charlene was carrying two boys... But now I'm not so sure... I guess there is a chance she might actually being carrying a boy and a girl... One boy is there IMO, that's for sure

Charles and Camilla de Bourbon Sicile were the specially guests of the principaly couple at the Red Cross gala, Albert was the witness of the Charles of Bourbon des deux Sicile at his wedding. I think they may be godparents of each of the children.
I think that the christenings will be in march anf that it will be in the cathedral of Monaco because the Church of the palace will be too small, there will be all the personalities of Monaco.
I would like a boy and a girl but I think it may be two boys or two girls I have no idea.

But isn't it normal to say jumeaux about twins when you don't know the sexes of the children? (genuinely interested as I'm currently taking A-level French and I'm not that strong in the language but my exam is in two weeks, so I just wanted to get it straight :D)

Although I hope it's two girls solely based on the sexist traditions Albert chooses to follow regarding the primogeniture, I think there might be at least one boy involved. I find it extremely hard to believe that he would go out and say the things he's said without knowing that he will have a male heir.

One would use the term "les jumeaux" to describe twins if they were a mixed pair OR if it was two boys. As melina premiere pointed out, two girls would be les jemelles.
Good luck on your exam!
:)

Last edited:
Boy - Louis Henri Xavier
- Charles Rainier Honore
Girl - Marie Francoise Elisabeth
- Louise Caroline Clementine

If it's two boys probably "Rainier IV" and "Charles". If it's only one boy it will be a combination of the two.

For a girl I am less sure...maybe Antoinette? But she will almost certainly bear the name of her legendary grandmother Grace somewhere in there.

As for the baptism, depending on Princess Charlene's recovery it will probably take place within 6-8 weeks at the Cathedral. At first I thought it would take place in the Palatine Chapel where Charlotte's Raphael was baptized, but something tells me Albert will pull out the stops and have a grand celebration.

Each infant will have at least one Royal godparent and one from the family. Princesses Caroline, Stephanie and Alexandra are both Royal and family at once so I will be surprised if they aren't chosen. Albert's cousin Chris LeVine is as close to Albert as a brother, so I will be very surprised if he isn't asked as well as Melanie de Massy and Gareth or Sean Wittstock.Each baby will have at least three godparents.

Not sure about Royal godparents. Maybe Queen Maxima, HGD Guillaume or his wife Stephanie, and Sophie Countess of Wessex? Sophie isn't Catholic but she is good friends with Princess Charlene and the Church does permit a non-Catholic godparent as long as there is another who IS Roman Catholic. The Lichtenstein Princely Family also have close ties with Albert so someone from there.

Sooo exciting

I thought I'd gotten the names all sorted earlier in the thread. :p ;)

I keep coming back to Ghislaine, just love that name. I'm also liking Claudine.

For a boy I am still liking Gaspar. :cool: Mindaugus would be daring.

Anyway, I think I called it very early on -

If there is a boy in the mix, I think the name Rainier will be in there somewhere.

If there is a girl, I think Antoinette - the name of Rainier's sister - would be interesting. There is another Antoinette in the royal line. I would assume that the name Grace would make an appearance.

When I look back at the names in the line I find I am fond of the possibility of a Princess Marie (or Princess Mary). Or Princess Claudine.

How about: Princess Claudine Marie Grace Antionette. :heart:

For a boy I like the idea of a Prince Ambrosius (or Ambrose - it's such an old name). But there is an Anthony and a Gaspar and Lucien and Honore in the line. How about Mindaugus? ;)

How about: Prince Gaspar Lucien Rainier Albert. :heart:

:) Still, Gaspar sounds like a rogue, not so?

:D Prince Gaspar - I like it. Sounds a bit Narnia-ish to me.

Charles and Claudine - maybe we've hit on the happy euphonious pair of names!

Love that name - Ghislaine. :flowers:

Sounds Medieval. Sounds like we're in the Provencal in the court of Queen Eleanor. Ghislaine.

HereditaryPrincess had some interesting names -

Pelline is an interesting name, I've never heard it before and I really like it. It's elegant and feminine, although I may be biased because I pretty much love all names ending in "ine".

Another Ghislaine lover here!

Okay! :p I knew we were friends for a reason! ;)

And some other interesting names -

I love Melisande too, although prefer Melusine. It's so dreamy and magical, especially with the accent on the E.

So there we have it! The beautiful Princess Ghislaine and her dashing brother Prince Gaspar. :flowers:

Last edited:

With the birth of Princess Gabriella Thérèse Marie and Prince Jacques Honoré Rainier today, December 10, 2014, the poll is closed. 35.66% of the voters voted for a boy and girl and were right!

Prince Jacques is the first child in the line of succession and receives the title of Marquis of Baux (in Provence), Princess Gabriella is the second child in the line of succession and receives the title of Countess of Carladès (in Auvergne).

As the godparents have not been announced yet, possible choices can still be discussed here.

The name Jacques was mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but did anyone guess "Gabriella"?

:previous:

The name "Gabrielle" was mentioned once. In this post Duc_et_Pair listed Princess Florestine Gabrielle Antoinette of Monaco. She had been the daughter of Prince Florestan I of Monaco and had lived from 1833 - 1897.

Love the names which finish with a Gabriella is a beautiful name.

There are a lot of Gabriel in the royal families of Belgium , Luxemboug
Prince Gabriel son of the king Philippe
Gabriel of Nassau son of louis of Luxemburg, Grandson of Grand duc Henri of Luxemburg
Archduchesse Gabriella of Habsburg , daughter of Marie Astrid of Luxemburg.

I really like the choice of Gabriella as it's quite a "current" name and the nickname of Ella or Gabby is nice. I also like Jacques as Jack is quite popular nowadays, though I wonder if he will use Rainier or Honore when he becomes Prince if Monaco.

As for godparents I hope they use other royals as that will be nice. I know they are both close to other royals so you never know. Perhaps reigning royals for Jacques (Maxima for example and maybe Haakon as Albert is friendly with him enough to nominate him for the ice bucket challenge! Is Haakon Catholic?) For Gabriella I would love to see Sophie chosen as a non-Catholic godparent as she is apparently close to Charlene but we shall see.

It is great that the christening of the prince and princess will be at the Cathedrale and we could Watch the ceremony on Monaco Matin but it is a pity the palace din't give us the name of the godparents.
For Prince Jacques, I think The Duc Charles de Bourbon Siciles and princess Caroline
For Princess Gabriella I think chris Levine and Princess Stéphanie.

My bet is that Prince Jacques will have for grandparents someone chosen from within the european royals ( there are quite a few hereditary couples to choose from, e.g. the swedish... ). As for Gabriella, my bet goes to P. Stephanie as godmother and P. Charlene's brother as godfather. Anyway, there's a lot to choose within the Grimaldi-Casiraghi family... P. Albert may very well choose from within his nephews and nieces to be the godparents of his children...
Anyway is good news... I was starting to wonder if those kids would ever be baptised...

http://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_monaco/2015030277194/bautizo-mellizos-monaco/

Last edited by a moderator:
The christening of the princely babies is not late, they will be 5 months old.
the grandchildren of Caroline were older, Sasha Casiraghi was 10 months and Raphael El Maleh was 6 months old.

This christening will be public as it will be at the cathedral of Monaco and we could Watch it on Monaco Matin.

How do they solve the issue with the 2 Christening gowns??? Do they have 2?
I remember, the Danish RF had some issues and found a second Christening gown in the Extended RF, right?
BYe Bine

How do they solve the issue with the 2 Christening gowns??? Do they have 2?

BYe Bine

They could make a copy of the Family christening gown if there is one.

I have a question: how many godparents are they supposed to have? I have been raised catholic, and I have always beleived that catholic christenings allow 2 godparents ... Therefore, in ths case the twins are going to have four, two each...

A Baby christened in the catholic religion may have one couple of godparents but he can have more than a couple of godparents, my granddaughter has two godmothers and two godfathers
The princely children may have many godmothers and godfathers.
Albert, Caroline and Stéphanie had only a couple of godparents

i'm quite excited about the baptism and to find out the godparents they chose. i think maxima is a good bet! :)

Finally we have a date! I am excited to see who they pick as Godparents. I will be disappointed if they don't pick any foreign Royals.

I have envisaged them having royal godparents since they were born so I will also be disappointed if there aren't any:bang:

I will not be desappointed if the godparents are not royal. the heir princess Elizabeth of Belgium has no royal godparents as prince Georges of Cambridge .
I will be very happy to Watch this big ceremony at the cathedral in live on Monaco channel.
The palace will give the names of the godparents later, no matter who would they be , it will be a beautiful event in Monaco.

I will not be desappointed if the godparents are not royal. the heir princess Elizabeth of Belgium has no royal godparents as prince Georges of Cambridge .

Acutally Princess Elisabeth has heir first cosuin Prince Amedeo Archduke of Austria-Este as godfather. I think this was quiet a nice gesture as he would have been the heir if Philippe had no children. Perhaps Albert and Charlene will do the same and Andrea becomes godfather of Prince Jacques.

I might very well be wrong, but for godparents i'm still sticking with Albert's two sisters and Charlene's two brothers (for each baby one of the women and one of the men). I'd be very disappointed if no family members are godparents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom