An Heir for Albert with Charlene

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAPretender

Courtier
City
WPB FL/Muttontown NY
Country
United States
Well, it's only natural as well as rationale to speculate, n'est pas?

With the changes in the Monaco laws of succession, will there be provision for equal promigeniture for Albert's children with Charlene?

In this day and age I think it is only fair. Why should they not be considered in order of birth as opposed to by sex.

For now, until Albert has any children with Charlene after marriage, Andrea is still the heir. What if they don't have any children? That would be interesting, i mean, getting married and not having any issue. It's a possibility...

Of course, there is the distinct possibility of no children. Happens all the time!

However, my question is more of a "what does the law of Monaco currently state?" Is it male-preference or gender-neutral with regard to the place of heir to the throne?

^I think it's male preference, but i'm not sure. You know, Caroline saved Monaco to be part of France, but when Albert was born, he automatically became the heir. But, it's been 50 years since that.

According to wikipedia:

The 2002 changes make the succession law more restrictive than previous versions. Under the old rules, the reigning Prince could adopt an heir who would succeed him if the Prince died without biological children. Prince Albert could have then adopted one of his nephews, or even someone unrelated, and made the person his heir. That option no longer exists. Now, if Prince Albert II fails to marry and father a legitimate heir, the crown will automatically pass to one of his sisters or one of their children—regardless of any illegitimate children he has fathered

the whole article:
Line of succession to the Monegasque throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's still male preference.

Of course, there is the distinct possibility of no children. Happens all the time!

However, my question is more of a "what does the law of Monaco currently state?" Is it male-preference or gender-neutral with regard to the place of heir to the throne?
Male before female. Princess Caroline is heiress presumptive because Albert is still unmarried and has no legitimate children. When/if Albert marries Charlene and if they have children Caroline will be bumped from her position as heiress presumptive and Albert oldest legitimate son will be heir apparent and Marquis of Baux as he was on his birth.

Wow this is going a bit quick.
They only got engaged yesterday.
We've got threads for the wedding, threads for the dress and now for babies.

A thread similar to this was created only days before the wedding of Victoria and Daniel.

From what I understand, if Albert and Charlene only produce daughters and no sons, any man that the Heiress Presumptive eventually marries will HAVE to agree to give up his own name and adopt the coat of arms and the name of the Grimaldis.

And yes, unless the Constitution is altered, males take precedence over females in the line of succession.

But i don't think Caroline will marry again...(that's my point of view)
I don't understand, are you saying that if they have a daughter, Andrea would still be the heir? I thought that as he has a child, she/he would be the heir. Suppose they have a girl, then a boy. So the boy would be the heir, like it hapenned with Caroline and Albert.

Hi Nathalie...that is a great point and I am not certain of the answer...if Charlene only produces daughters would the eldest one become Heiress Presumptive...or would the throne pass to Princess Caroline and her children?

Maybe someone else here knows and can answer for us?

All of Albert's legit children will supercede Andrea no matter what their sex is. It will be legit his sons, his legit daughters, Caroline, her sons, her daughters, Stephanie, her son and her legitimate daughter.

I see. It makes sense. Thanks libra65! :)

Hi Nathalie...that is a great point and I am not certain of the answer...if Charlene only produces daughters would the eldest one become Heiress Presumptive...or would the throne pass to Princess Caroline and her children?

According to the constitution of Monaco the first legitime male heir will inherit the throne and the title.if the first born child is female she should become the heiress presumptive. She would replace the the position which now Caroline owns. By the way Charlene only produces daughters the eldest one will become Her Serene Highness Reigning Princess of Monaco after the death or abdication of PA. Princess Caroline remains her position if Albert dies without legitime issue. So if it fits Albert should produce only one legitimte heir ( a female or male) to protect his bloodline.However I think Charlene and PA should have two children. I think PA doesn't desire more.He has already two. He has to bring up these children. He will have more responsibilities with their children.

I know they haven't got married yet, but i'm so excited to see if Albert will have a child!

Hi Timea83, thanks for the info.

I think Albert does indeed want more children, and his subjects definitely want to see him produce legitimate heirs. Why not? He cannot have a very active and VISIBLE role parenting the two that he has..Jazmin Grace lives in America with her mother. I read somewhere that little Alexandre lives nearby with his mother and Albert visits him frequently but that cannot be very fulfilling for either of them, frankly.

Besides...Charlene is a young woman who will doubtless want children of her own to love.

Hi Timea83, thanks for the info.

I think Albert does indeed want more children, and his subjects definitely want to see him produce legitimate heirs. Why not? He cannot have a very active and VISIBLE role parenting the two that he has..Jazmin Grace lives in America with her mother. I read somewhere that little Alexandre lives nearby with his mother and Albert visits him frequently but that cannot be very fulfilling for either of them, frankly.

Besides...Charlene is a young woman who will doubtless want children of her own to love.

Hi Moonmaiden. Alexandre lives in Villefranche- su -Mer. It is a beautiful French village near Monaco. I don"t want to speculate if he visits AC frequently or not.It is sure if he will have legitimite children the they will be 'desired and wanted 'kids.I also think Charlene wants children on her own.
I really don"t know what kind of relationships or connection she will have with them with that marriage. Will she become the stepmother of Alexandre and Jasmine upon the marriage with PA?

It sounds like Monaco's succession rules are very similar to those in Britain: the oldest legitimate child of the reigning prince is heir, whether the child be male or female. However, if a girl is born first, and followed by a younger brother, Albert's son would be moved above his sister in the succession. So say Albert and Charlene did have children, and a daughter was born first, and a son second (birth years are hypothetical!), the line of succession would look something like this:

Albert II
Son (born 2014)
Daughter (born 2012)
Caroline
Andrea
Pierre
Charlotte
Stephanie
Louis
Pauline

*Note: Stephanie's youngest child, Camille, is not included because her parents never married.

I really don"t know what kind of relationships or connection she will have with them with that marriage. Will she become the stepmother of Alexandre and Jasmine upon the marriage with PA?

Technically, yes, because both Jazmin and Alexandre are Albert's biological children.

Hi Moonmaiden. Alexandre lives in Villefranche- su -Mer. It is a beautiful French village near Monaco. I don"t want to speculate if he visits AC frequently or not.It is sure if he will have legitimite children the they will be 'desired and wanted 'kids.I also think Charlene wants children on her own.

Yes, she will definitely be their stepmother but what that exactly means is up to the parties to settle - in particular, the mothers of these two children who remain the primary parent.

One would hope that it would evolve in as civilized a relationship as with the Crown Princely family of Norway. That was eased somewhat by the fact that the Crown Princess has primary custody of her son by a prior relationship, of course.

Yes, she will definitely be their stepmother but what that exactly means is up to the parties to settle - in particular, the mothers of these two children who remain the primary parent.

One would hope that it would evolve in as civilized a relationship as with the Crown Princely family of Norway. That was eased somewhat by the fact that the Crown Princess has primary custody of her son by a prior relationship, of course.
Apologies but Charlene will "not" become the stepmother of Jaz or eric as she has not nor will I supoose adopt them legally.Charlene will be the wife of their father.If she becomes their stepmother which is a common misconception then she also has rights and responsibilities over their upbringing equal to their mother's rights.

Since we're discussing their children, how about mentioning possible names? Louise, Louise-Hippolyte or Claudine would be nice because she would be able to reign as Louise II, Louise-Hippolyte II or Claudine II. If all three of those names fail, Grace would also be nice. Name of any previous ruler of Monaco would be suitable for a boy, but I believe they would opt either for Rainier (Rainier IV) or Louis (Louis III).

Apologies but Charlene will "not" become the stepmother of Jaz or eric as she has not nor will I supoose adopt them legally.Charlene will be the wife of their father.If she becomes their stepmother which is a common misconception then she also has rights and responsibilities over their upbringing equal to their mother's rights.

I think that we have different definitions of "stepmother" working here. I am using "stepmother" in the aspect of "the wife of the biological father who is not the biological mother of the child in question."

My grandfather remarried well after the death of his first wife, who was my father's mother. Although my own father was, at that time, himself married and raising a family, my grandfather's wife became my father's stepmother.

"Stepmother" in no way implies, suggests, confers or provides legal responsibilities on an individual. It is an appellation, nothing more and nothing less.

"Stepmother" does not mean a "plus mom" or "extra mom."

Charlene, as the wife of their biological father, becomes the stepmother to these two children. Exactly what that means in this situation is entirely up to the parties involved. In particular, it will be the decision of the primary parent, the mother of each of the children, to decide the level of involvement of Ms. Wittestock in the life of her child.

(Right now, the turgid little drama of Jude Law and Sienna Miller is following this line, vis a vis Jude's children with former wife Sadie Frost, and Ms. Miller's liberties with Ms. Frost's children playing out on these lines. One all can't be as adult about these things as are the Crown Princely couple of Norway, sadly.)

If this is in any way unclear to you, please let me know. I've tried to amplify my post so as to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
I think I'd agree with NAP's definition of stepmother. From the Oxford Dictionary:
Noun A woman who is married to one’s father after the divorce of one’s parents or the death of one’s mother.
What you're talking about Jaya is an adopted mother. Completely different kettle of fish. ;)

Since we're discussing their children, how about mentioning possible names? Louise, Louise-Hippolyte or Claudine would be nice because she would be able to reign as Louise II, Louise-Hippolyte II or Claudine II. If all three of those names fail, Grace would also be nice. Name of any previous ruler of Monaco would be suitable for a boy, but I believe they would opt either for Rainier (Rainier IV) or Louis (Louis III).

Good choices, all. I would think that "Louis" would be "out" as a first name, as Stephanie's son is named that (although there could be little to no confusion between the children with such a wide variation in age.)

I do love the traditional, "old-fashioned" names.

You are right, of course. I haven't even thought of Stephanie's son. Rainier is the most likely choice because Rainier III was (one of) the most successful rulers of Monaco.

I wonder what name they would choose if a boy or girl?

Charlene will be their Stepmother when she marries their father. If I were Charlene I would try to develop a cordial relationship with the mothers in order for them to be comfortable for the children to visit their father. I would get to know Jazmin as a young lady and I would look after Alexander when he is around. She would be surprised how much the children would like her and be comfortable with their father and their younger siblings. I know what I am talking about my mother did it for my fathers children and they love her for it.

When my father's children were around my mother never treated them any differently from her own children. They were all born before their marriage. Only one child's mother was difficult and that is the one I am not close to. We are now trying to build a relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
PA has - at least - a financial responsibility towards his illegitimate children, and not one he desired from the outset.

And he had to navigate his way around his father!

I know they haven't got married yet, but i'm so excited to see if Albert will have a child!
Albert already has two . Jaz and Eric So you are excited for the one he may have a she starts a family with Charlene.

^Yes, i didn't explain myself correctly, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom