Albert often spends the weekends there and when Grace
was still alive the whole family spent a lot of time there
as well.

Charlene said in an interview with German magazine Bunte
early this summer that she lived in a house in Monaco, but
I don't think we would get a more precise answer to that
question, as Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock keep those
details very private..
PA stays at Roc Angel during the weekends with the exception when he is travelling.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal pauper View Post
Yes, that is right! PA lives mostly in Roc Angel and The Palace is now Charlene's offical residence. If you don't believe me, she said it herself!
I'm going to step out on a distant limb here and presume that this is nothing more than wishful thinking. The Palace announced the engagement of The Prince and Miss Wittstock on June 23, 2010. Which means until that point, Charlene could not be viewed as "official" in the palace. Now call me old-fashioned (especially considering the fact that The Prince has not one, but two illegitimate children), but for the couple to begin "making house" without the solemnity of marriage is not only a slap in the face to the Roman Catholic religion of their state (Monaco), but also yet another "black eye" to the sovereignty of Monaco in the eyes of royal Europe (which I believe explains why not one single royal of note graced the wedding of his parents).

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Serene Highness

Wow! I also find this hard to believe. The Monegasques seem to be very old fashioned and the local priest would blow his top. Surely, Albert would just rent her an apartment nearby.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness

I bumped here in hope to see pics of Roc Agel finally. I am still searching the internet to find them. I really want to see how the main building in Roc Agel looks like. I have no luck so far

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
I bumped here in hope to see pics of Roc Agel finally. I am still searching the internet to find them. I really want to see how the main building in Roc Agel looks like. I have no luck so far
There are photos of it here on the board. I posted one myself years back of Albert sitting on the balcony rail. Check this thread in the Royal Library you may find some by Howell Conant its all photos.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Amazing View Post
I'm going to step out on a distant limb here and presume that this is nothing more than wishful thinking. The Palace announced the engagement of The Prince and Miss Wittstock on June 23, 2010. Which means until that point, Charlene could not be viewed as "official" in the palace. Now call me old-fashioned (especially considering the fact that The Prince has not one, but two illegitimate children), but for the couple to begin "making house" without the solemnity of marriage is not only a slap in the face to the Roman Catholic religion of their state (Monaco), but also yet another "black eye" to the sovereignty of Monaco in the eyes of royal Europe (which I believe explains why not one single royal of note graced the wedding of his parents).
I don't think that is the case at all. Even if they were living together before marriage they would hardly be the first royal couple to do so. The Crown Prince and Princess of Norway lived together before marrying. Was that a 'slap in the face' to the Church of Norway? Neither can I see how that says anything about the sovereignty of Monaco -it has been a sovereign principality long before many modern European monarchies existed. Royals attending the weddings of other royals was not as expected in the past as it is now. No one seemed to mind inviting the Grimaldis to their own wedding festivities. The only thing, I think, that has been a factor is that the Grimaldis are not technically "royalty". The Prince of Monaco may occupy the same place and even have more actual authority than almost any other monarch in Europe but he is not technically "royalty" and that matters to some people. In the case of Great Britain (see the uproar over Diana's funeral) it matters *alot*.

In all the centuries of the Grimaldi reign very few weddings have been held in Monaco itself and of those that were I cannot think of any major royals attending, until recently it just wasn't something that was expected.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Bones, if you want to get technical about it, the Grimaldis are as much Royalty as all those who hold the title of Royal Highness. They just didn't take the title for themselves as others did. You have to go back in history to learn how everyone got their titles. Rainiers parents were cousins and they share the same ancestry as the other Royal Houses.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Courtier

Bones, to more traditional Catholics (which isn't me - I'm very liberally Catholic ) living together is frowned upon because of the temptation it can lead to. There is no official teaching from the Catholic church on living together before marriage (only on sleeping together, to put it nicely ) and it is not a canonical reason to deny a marriage, however I think you'd be hard pressed to find many members of the Roman Catholic clergy who would recommend living together before marriage because of the temptation it can bring. And they generally deny arguments of convenience, it being economical or it being a period of "bonding". There's also the reasoning many clergy would give you of it causing scandal. Remembering of course that most of our church's clergy is rather... stuffy.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Bones, if you want to get technical about it, the Grimaldis are as much Royalty as all those who hold the title of Royal Highness. They just didn't take the title for themselves as others did. You have to go back in history to learn how everyone got their titles. Rainiers parents were cousins and they share the same ancestry as the other Royal Houses.
But they don't hold the title. Like little Liechtenstein they are HSH not HRH. It was Honore II who took the title of "prince" (before which the title was simply 'seigneur de monaco') and the kings of Spain and France recognized this. As for Prince Pierre and Princess Charlotte, I never heard of them being cousins but I don't see how that matters. Best as I recall, before Princess Caroline, no Grimaldi ever married royalty though they at times married noble ladies with some royal connections.

I consider them royalty, most everyone in the world considers them royalty but for the title-conscious elites in some royal courts it matters that they are not, even if to no one else but them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
Bones, to more traditional Catholics (which isn't me - I'm very liberally Catholic ) living together is frowned upon because of the temptation it can lead to. There is no official teaching from the Catholic church on living together before marriage (only on sleeping together, to put it nicely ) and it is not a canonical reason to deny a marriage, however I think you'd be hard pressed to find many members of the Roman Catholic clergy who would recommend living together before marriage because of the temptation it can bring. And they generally deny arguments of convenience, it being economical or it being a period of "bonding". There's also the reasoning many clergy would give you of it causing scandal. Remembering of course that most of our church's clergy is rather... stuffy.
I don't really understand how this is a response to anything I said. I know living together is frowned upon and I certainly never said the Catholic clergy would recommend such a thing. I just don't think it would be taken as a direct insult to the Church and the religion of the Monegasque minority for Prince Albert and Charlene to have possibly co-habitated like so many others in modern society (whether officially Catholic or Protestant) do all the time. Maybe the padres are a little harsh where you live but my experience is that they teach what they teach but don't get very worked up when individuals fall short.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Courtier

I was pointing out what I thought their thinking behind may be. And I never said harsh I just meant that my experience of clergy was that they acted in a way that might be considered stuffy by others because of their traditional values. It wasn't my personal opinion. It was actually the jokey part of my post. My apologies. I have a habit of being vague. I'll go hide in my cave now.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

The Monegasques are very conservative. They would not be happy. In fact, if that happened in the White House it would be a big scandal. It hasn't been that long ago that it was a big deal for the President or his wife to have been previously married. eg. the Reagans. It's also very difficult for a single person to get elected President. I can only think of widowers having done so.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
There are photos of it here on the board. I posted one myself years back of Albert sitting on the balcony rail. Check this thread in the Royal Library you may find some by Howell Conant its all photos.
Thanks, LadyMacAlpine. I tried searching Royal Library but I couldn't find anything; it looks I am not good in searching things online. Yap,I also remember this pic of Albert sitting on balcony, it was Paris Match pic, I am not mixing up things again.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Courtier

I have read that he does not stay in the palace because he is lonely there, he prefers to stay at his apartment. No longer will he be lonely, after his wedding and hopefully children!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I can understand why he would be lonely in a palace, but if Charlene stays with him in his apartment, surely she has spent some time in the palace.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I suspect PA will be a bit like his father - they couldn't wait to get out of Monaco and up to Roc Agel, to let their hair down and have a good time. No need to get lonely , up in the mountains...

As to Charlene, I seem to recall a quote from her, stating that she "lives in the Palace". This could mean many things. She might have a suite there, and/or an office.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Courtier

Does anyone have a picture of the "Russian Dacha" that Vladimir Putin built on Prince Albert's home, Roc Agel? It is to serve as a pool house.

Prince Albert finds new best buddy in Putin - Times Online
Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no idea how Google Street View works, but it might be worth trying out. I don't know whether the French and/or Monaco have given permission for Google S.V. to be used there. The Germans initially were against granting permission, but that seems to have been resolved.
Google Street View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC News - French find e-mail passwords in Google Street View data French find email passwords in Google Street View

Roc Agel is in France, not Monaco, so try the map.
Google Map of Monaco - Nations Online Project
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
I have no idea how Google Street View works, but it might be worth trying out. I don't know whether the French and/or Monaco have given permission for Google S.V. to be used there. The Germans initially were against granting permission, but that seems to have been resolved.
Google Street View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC News - French find e-mail passwords in Google Street View data French find email passwords in Google Street View

Roc Agel is in France, not Monaco, so try the map.
Google Map of Monaco - Nations Online Project
Thank you, I was able to find Mount Agel, were Roc Agel is located, but I could not ID the actual house.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

From what I can remember, R.A. is/was a ranch-style building, with horses and livestock.

It was described as "une ancienne bergerie" by Jean-Michel Gomez ( (6) Roc Agel )
(un berger - a shepherd)
Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Aristocracy

Yes, I imagine Roc Agel is to Prince Albert what Camp David is to the President here.