The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia8 View Post
My, my. All this hubub over a thumbs up sign. I think it is great when Royals get involved in supporting their teams. Most of the dignitaries waved at their teams when the passed by the box. The way Charlene and Prince Albert act is nothing compared to how Princess Maxima and Prince W-A behave. The Dutch royals are a lot more rowdy than Charlene and Prince Albert. And why not? It is fun to cheer on your team

Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and wife Maxima at the Opening Ceremony of the 29th Olympic Games, August 8th 2008, BeiJing, China.

http://i2.sinaimg.cn/2008/hx/other/p...0809064015.jpg

http://members3.boardhost.com/Oranje...218455560.html

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

http://www.sportwereld.nl/olympischespelen/2513736/Prins_steunt_beachvolleyballers.html?service=fotoPopup

I really dislike it when people take my statements out of context. I was describing the difference between being at a ceremony like the parade of Nations which requires one set of behavior and a sporting contest in which another set of behavior is acceptable. Please when you quote people be sure to include the context. Thank you.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Nobility

I agree with Hibou, but let's move away from this talk. I'm sorry I disagreed so much, and I don't want this thread closed.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
I
I really dislike it when people take my statements out of context. I was describing the difference between being at a ceremony like the parade of Nations which requires one set of behavior and a sporting contest in which another set of behavior is acceptable. Please when you quote people be sure to include the context. Thank you.
The first picture shows Princess Maxima and Willem-Allexander at the Opening Ceremony at the parade of Nations. A little bit more boisterous than Charlene's thumbs up, don't you think?!
Old 08-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Having watched the discussion from the sidelines, I can see Hibou's point about differing levels of behaviour for different functions.

But A & C are not really consistent in public: C. because she doesn't seem to know how to behave correctly and appropriately, and A. because he doesn't seem to care very much, as he is a Head of State. No one is going to challenge him about behaviour.

By the way, I read the link to the Italian article, and that spoke of Albert and Charlene who "will marry in September"....
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
The first picture shows Princess Maxima and Willem-Allexander at the Opening Ceremony at the parade of Nations. A little bit more boisterous than Charlene's thumbs up, don't you think?!
Mandy thank you for providing a second example to the point I was making about behavior expected at a ceremony and behavior at a sports event. The fact that you show another royal doing the same does not make their behavior any more correct. I stand by my opinion.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Boy, this thread sure hasn't gone in the direction I hoped it would when I made it 2 years ago. I guess the days of talk about just Albert and the Olympics are over.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
Boy, this thread sure hasn't gone in the direction I hoped it would when I made it 2 years ago. I guess the days of talk about just Albert and the Olympics are over.
No LadyMac We are talking about Albert and the Olympics. It was his opening behavior at the ceremony that derailed it from the sports aspect that you intended.

Do we have any photos of him visiting athletes are talking with former teammates?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No LadyMac We are talking about Albert and the Olympics. It was his opening behavior at the ceremony that derailed it from the sports aspect that you intended.

Do we have any photos of him visiting athletes are talking with former teammates?
I don't have any of him talking to his former team mates this year if that's what you mean they are all in winter. I have some from training for the Olympics. I'm getting as many as I can find plus looking for articles. It'll be a Charlene free.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Courtier

Actually the thing that bothered me about those pics, more than the thumbs up, is that Charlene is wearing Monaco's olympic uniform, without being either a Monaco citizen or a member of the delegation...she keeps forgetting she is not Albert's wife yet (and I really hope for monaco that things stay that way, but he seems naive enough to marry her).
Old 08-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it very sweet of her to support the Monaco's team that way !
Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Well, I don't care about anyone doing "thumbs up" at the olympics if that makes them feel good. I just like the Olympics and seeing royalty there just adds to the fun, imo. If I was at the olympics like PA and CW I'd be too happy to care about those petty people who concern themselves with my random thumbs up or whatever. Not classy? Undignified? Pish posh. Get over it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Gentry

I think that with Charlene some people like her and some people don't. That's fine. Those who don't will always find fault with her. Everybody has the right to their own opinion. Most of the royals at the opening ceremony stood up and enthusiastically waved to their teams.

To stay relevant to the thread here is an article about the two at the Olympics:
Albert and Charlene share a romantic moment at Olympics
Old 08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was surprised to see how many empty seats were around the royals.
Of course the people sitting behind Maxima and WA would have loved to have empty seats to move to but still, their enthusiasm must have been infectuous.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I believe I did state in my comment that they were at the opening ceremony. I was not trying to take you out of context. I am not trying to push the issue, just explaining myself. Thanks.

Here are some more pics of Prince Albert at the Olympics:

Attending the men's 77kg Group B weightlifting competition at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games August 13, 2008.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...cGcN8/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...mkfvw/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...CO7tE/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...dV1WX/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...QzeSw/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...q45pb/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...jv0Hi/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...4wd9Z/340x.jpg

Prince Albert during a men's bantamweight 54 kg preliminary boxing match at the Beijing 2008 Olympics in Beijing, Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2008:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...mT2Xd/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...9VcUq/610x.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...e4dwX/340x.jpg
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?p...=7996957&pos=3
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenia8 View Post
I think that with Charlene some people like her and some people don't. That's fine. Those who don't will always find fault with her. Everybody has the right to their own opinion. Most of the royals at the opening ceremony stood up and enthusiastically waved to their teams.

To stay relevant to the thread here is an article about the two at the Olympics:
Albert and Charlene share a romantic moment at Olympics
That is precisely the problem some are having here, she is not one of them! -- Right now she is still only just a guest of Albert's and she is still only a SA citizen -- who many on this board in the past were quick to point out, how she proudly represented her OWN country as an Olympian?

So now some may find it not only a breach of protocol for Albert's girlfriend (or whatever others have chosen to refer to her as), to be standing there in another country's uniform that is not her own and in some kind of official position or post that she does not hold? I think some people find it a little bit hyopcritical of her, since so much as been made of her being an Olympian that represented her own country. Plus it does seem a little bit presumptuous to me?(JMO)

So even though some people may find it sweet of her, I wonder if the Monaco delegation really appreciated it? Or the people of Monaco? Or even the people from her own country that she had represented previously at the Olympics?

I will add where this gesture doesn't exactly endear me to Charlene, Albert is the one who should be held responsible for any breach in protocol here, Charlene is there as a guest of Albert's. I guess it's a question people can ask themselves if under the same circumstance...How would they feel about it?

I am only trying to clarify here what I think people are seeing as a breech against protocol and perhaps an unwise gesture, and the problem with that lies more with Albert than Charlene, he is the Prince of Monaco, Charlene holds no official position there, she has no responsibility to anyone other than herself or in representing herself?

Thanks for the link, I am glad they are attending the Olympics and it gives us all a chance to watch and talk about them! The Olympics!

Does someone know what events the Monaco athletes are participating in?
I'm sorry if this has been posted somwhere, if it has, can someone point me there? Thanks!

ETA: Thanks Oxygen!

and to add: many would agree that it would be a nice show of support if it didn't seem a bit presumptous and premature? But then I think that may be the problem many have had with the relationship all along? And I think "Showing" might be the operative word here? I guess it's just a matter of opinion?

I just wanted to add thank you to everyone who is making the effort and providing us with all the pictures, there are some nice pictures of both of them there enjoying themselves, they are nice to see! Thanks!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsla View Post
Does someone know what events the Monaco athletes are participating in?
I'm sorry if this has been posted somwhere, if it has, can someone point me there? Thanks!
Gattuso, Sebastien
Track and Field
Marchessou, Romain
Weightlifting
Pasetti, Fabienne
Shooting
Raymond, Mathias
Rowing
Siccardi, Yann
Judo

Source: Athletes for Monaco - 2008 Olympics - SI.com
Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Royal Highness

Frankly, I think it's a nice thing that Charlene is embracing Monaco during these Olympics. I think that she's showing that she truly does care for Monaco and it's people.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
Serene Highness

This judoka, Yann Siccardi, there was a lot about him, alot of hopes connected with him, I read some articles when googled Monaco weeks ago. Any news how well he did ? Or I missed something?...

I think Albert & Charlene behavior is OK this time. I rather prefer thumb showing how they did, than Maxima & W-A jumping.

Re: Charlene wearing official Monegasque team outfit, it is wrong because she is a private person, but wasn't it the same 2 years ago in Turin? So not a big deal...

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's quite possible that PA may have bestowed Monegasque citizenship on Charlene by now. It is in the gift of the Sovereign Prince.

Regarding the Monaco badge, I would have been surprised if CW hadn't been given one. She is the Prince's companion, or at least a part of his entourage.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:57 AM
Commoner

Just a few more pics, in case you haven't seen them. My apologies if you have:

Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock Olympics Photos