Albert and Charlene's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our opinion doesn't change anything Prince Albert and Charlene will do. I have always followed the Princely Family of Monaco for 32 years now. Their lives have always fascinated me. I have seen them go through many ups and downs and have always cared to see them well. This forum is for us to voice our opinion without damaging anybody. We cannot talk to them personally, but we can talk to each other and see what everybody has to say with respect. I would love to see Prince Albert happy, with a family by his side to support him and love him now that he is getting older. I would much rather see his relationship with Charlene work out for the best than see him regress to his playboy life. I like that there are other people with whom we can share our opinions about them with, in a respectful and polite way.

Do you think Prince Albert would risk so much if he didn't love Charlene? I think he is giving her time to adjust to a crazy life and see if she is willing to go ahead with it. It will not always be glamour for Charlene as Princess of Monaco. A lot of work and committment is also required. Most of her actions and words will be scrutinized and criticized constantly like Princess Diana and Sarah Ferguson. Charlene will have to step up and become a role model and ambassador for the Principality. Can she do it? I have no idea. But maybe that's why he is taking his time in getting engaged to her. He will need a strong, intelligent, dutiful and committed wife to do all that will be required of the Princess of Monaco. Only time will tell.

Precisely...and many of us feel that Albert is only providing Charlene with the glamorous side of the job. To actually understand how difficult all of the Pss' duties would be is to really look at the amount of undertakings Grace and now Caroline had. They made it all look effortless and that is the beauty of a swan: on the surface you see a beautiful creature gliding along through life but underneath the feet are paddling along madly. There is so much more to the job than just providing and "heir and a spare" and being a fashion plate. From what we've seen from Charlene's actions and through her own words, all she seems to care about is the surface stuff and how it makes her look. To be Pss of Monaco (or in any royal capacity) you need to put yourself second and that doesn't mean condoning a wandering royal eye or hand.

Yes, but when you look at what Isabel de Heredia did before her marriage, we are back to the education part, because she had an excellent education and was a successful woman who had no necessity to marry a man to provide for her. She could have done so on her own and maybe even better. Although we shouldn't compare, we have seen 2 examples of marriage with age gap, one that works where the woman has an education and self value, and another that didn't work where the woman had little education and derived her self value solely from her social position coming to her through her husbands social status. And I think that there we put the finger on sth far more important then age, beauty, dresses etc. Those are superficial things that don't really matter. We've all heard and might even have had the experience, that men mature later, so that might give some explanation why a woman might be looking to older men. I could sermon now the reasons why women are usually looking towards older men whereas men are looking for younger women, but I think everyone has already their opinion to that matter. But in order for any relation, no matter all these superficiallities, to work the core ingredient to me seems to be both partners sense of selfworth and selfrespect. And I think in this department both Albert and Charlene are terribly wanting. With Charlene we have seen how easily she accepted to have her boyfriend cheat on her (we have seen her look at the pictures), we have heard the flatout denial of any marriage intentions from Albert (and he did not only say it once but keeps repeating it) and well with Albert we can see by the type of women he has gotten himself involved with that he obviously doesn't think that he deserves any better then what one of his friends described (I posted an article to that respect) as "bimbos".

I know that in math two minus make a plus and it does work in relationships too - to a degree: as soon as ones selfesteem growth and thinks that there should be more to have, it becomes unbalanced and that's where the problems usually start and the odds to turn one minus and a plus into a plus ... you'd better ask a mathematician ;):D

Paca, great post! (both of them) I have always believed this is the core of the problem. This seems to be a relationship where both parties are looking for validation from the other one, only highlighting their own insecurities.

Royal Pauper, you beat me to it - Thanks to Miraglia for making our point!
I want to say even the most average woman shouldn't have to be trained up as most women I know already have these qualities as well as integrity, a woman at Charlenes age, shouldn't have to be trained up from the very bottom. I'm sure Charlene is a nice girl in her own way, but she seems more backwards than most, and more ambitious in the wrong way (which accounts for a lot of Albert's troubles) and I think it was Jaya who mentions, she has to want to make an effort to learn! (I loved the "half-learned" remark, also). I think it's great if Charlene is fun loving in private, but she needs to show some maturity in public and they need to decide, she should either appear with him in public & stop all the self-promotion, or conduct their relationship in private & stop all the speculation that they both have seemed to promote from the beginning. Great posts from all: Jaya, Hibou, Pinklady, lckc571... & all the rest. Sebastion even your posts makes a little bit of sense, obviously we see this as a source of entertainment and these two have been so good at providing it. I agree we have made a feast of Charlene at times, but I'm afraid it's been her own personality & actions that so invite it! I do think I will be giving it a rest after the Red Cross Ball. Anyway, I always enjoy everyone's post, Thanks to all!

Last edited:
Paca, great post! (both of them) I have always believed this is the core of the problem. This seems to be a relationship where both parties are looking for validation from the other one, only highlighting their own insecurities.

Royal Pauper, you beat me to it - Thanks to Miraglia for making our point!
I want to say even the most average woman shouldn't have to be trained up as most women I know already have these qualities as well as integrity, a woman at Charlenes age, shouldn't have to be trained up from the very bottom. I'm sure Charlene is a nice girl in her own way, but she seems more backwards than most, and more ambitious in the wrong way (which accounts for a lot of Albert's troubles) and I think it was Jaya who mentions, she has to want to make an effort to learn! (I loved the "half-learned" remark, also). I think it's great if Charlene is fun loving in private, but she needs to show some maturity in public and they need to decide, she should either appear with him in public & stop all the self-promotion, or conduct their relationship in private & stop all the speculation that they both have seemed to promote from the beginning. Great posts from all: Jaya, Hibou,... & all the rest. Sebastion even your posts makes a little bit of sense, obviously we see this as a source of entertainment and these two have been so good at providing it. I agree we have made a feast of Charlene at times, but I'm afraid it's been her own personality & actions that so invite it! I do think I will be giving it a rest after the Red Cross Ball. Anyway, I always enjoy everyone's post, Thanks to all!

Me too, at least I hope!:lol:
My baby is getting bigger and it's time for me to go back to work. However, I will be checking on you guys from time to time. And of course, I will definitely be tuning in for the WEDDING.:D

This thread has been reopened and needs to stay on topic. As we've said before this thread is for Albert and Charlene's relationship. This is not a place to compare Charlene to Grace, Caroline, Stephanie, etc. Furthermore, this thread is not one to compare Albert and Charlene's relationship with any of their past relationships.

Please keep in mind that everyone is allowed to have an opinion on these boards. Remember one of our main rules: Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.

Any and all posts that are off topic will be deleted without notice.

Elspeth, Lady Jennifer, Mandy, tbhrc and Zonk
Princely Family of Monaco Moderators

Last edited:
I would like to know if any previous "girlfriends" of Prince Albert have attended as many functions as Charlene has in the past few months?

I am still not going to say he will marry her as you just never know - I'm sure many people thought that Prince Felipe of Spain would marry Eva Sannum as they dated for quite a few years but it never happened.

I personally will only get excited about a royal wedding when an engagement is anounced.

Until then Charlene is just another girlfriend.:neutral:

I think if Albert wanted to milk the attention for Monaco he has done so but I also think he has pretty much played out his hand and is now in the prince William position of having to either announce or cool it for a while. William due to his age was wise and it allows him to take things more slowly with Miss Middleton. Albert no longer has the youth factor to his advantage. JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADKER18
I agree their are Pictures of stephanie and Charlene talking laughing and Stephanie and Caroline seemed to be chatting with each other a bit . Iceflower Thanks for the 2 pictures.

doh21-45.gif

It is for that that CW met herself alone with the sisters, because "Albert is ill, he had to go."

http://i16.tinypic.com/5xes1mt.jpg - http://i14.tinypic.com/6csn7zp.jpg

lckc571

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADKER18
I agree their are Pictures of stephanie and Charlene talking laughing and Stephanie and Caroline seemed to be chatting with each other a bit . Iceflower Thanks for the 2 pictures.

doh21-45.gif

It is for that that CW met herself alone with the sisters, because "Albert is ill, he had to go."

http://i16.tinypic.com/5xes1mt.jpg - http://i14.tinypic.com/6csn7zp.jpg

lckc571
in both pics neither sister is talking to Charlene. We don't even know whether they spoke in a language she would understand. All we have is the three of them standing in the same pic with Charlene wearing the same smile she was wearing all evening. I find it very interesting to look at the pics from the table. First of all Charlene wasn't seated anywhere where se could have an easy conversation with family members. It is as if Chris Levine, a cousin is the closest she gets to the family (a new babysitter to substitute Jean Camille?). Meantime the siblings are having a very animated conversation and seem to be enjoying each others company. Charlenes unknown neighbour tries to make conversation with her but she is distracted and looks longly towards Albert. She always looks towards Albert, whereas he hardly looks at her. Even while she is dancing with Chris Levine her head is turned to look at Albert. Instead of enjoying herself with the people around her, she tries to catch a glimpse of Albert. It is actually sad to see. Yes she is there, yes she walked in with the family and not behind, but she is not part of it she is like someone who just hapens to stand there, an outsider lurking. She is trying her best to look as if everything is fine, but I think she knows it isn't. IMO her days are numbered and the sisters know it too. It has been a long time that I have seen all three of them sitting so close together ad enjoying each others company. And then Albert leaves on his own after he is being approached by one of his lieutenants? Bild claims that they were told by a palace employee (which could be either MMe Gallico or one of his aides de camps who were present, maybe Mme Stahl?) that he was ill. Personally I don't think that they really would have said that, as that would immediately lead to speculations about Alberts health, not sth he would want at the present political situation. Also since when does he need someone to tell him that he wasn't well when he was in good spirits on most pics that we saw? Also, if my boyfriend isn't well, then I'm not staying to continue to dance. JMO

in both pics neither sister is talking to Charlene. We don't even know whether they spoke in a language she would understand. All we have is the three of them standing in the same pic with Charlene wearing the same smile she was wearing all evening. I find it very interesting to look at the pics from the table. First of all Charlene wasn't seated anywhere where se could have an easy conversation with family members. It is as if Chris Levine, a cousin is the closest she gets to the family (a new babysitter to substitute Jean Camille?). Meantime the siblings are having a very animated conversation and seem to be enjoying each others company. Charlenes unknown neighbour tries to make conversation with her but she is distracted and looks longly towards Albert. She always looks towards Albert, whereas he hardly looks at her. Even while she is dancing with Chris Levine her head is turned to look at Albert. Instead of enjoying herself with the people around her, she tries to catch a glimpse of Albert. It is actually sad to see. Yes she is there, yes she walked in with the family and not behind, but she is not part of it she is like someone who just hapens to stand there, an outsider lurking. She is trying her best to look as if everything is fine, but I think she knows it isn't. IMO her days are numbered and the sisters know it too. It has been a long time that I have seen all three of them sitting so close together ad enjoying each others company. And then Albert leaves on his own after he is being approached by one of his lieutenants? Bild claims that they were told by a palace employee (which could be either MMe Gallico or one of his aides de camps who were present, maybe Mme Stahl?) that he was ill. Personally I don't think that they really would have said that, as that would immediately lead to speculations about Alberts health, not sth he would want at the present political situation. Also since when does he need someone to tell him that he wasn't well when he was in good spirits on most pics that we saw? Also, if my boyfriend isn't well, then I'm not staying to continue to dance. JMO

Those are all good points paca especially if he were ill. It is natural that you want to be with the one you love to help them if they are not well so I would have thought that she would have left with him and then returned perhaps later to assure everyone that he is just under the weather and will be alright. So I can only guess that he was infact not ill but something of urgency came up and he left and did not return hence Charlene remaining at the ball.

well said, personally I would not have either stayed.
In the newspaper bunte, they said that:

"It is 9 pm, on Friday evening, when Grimaldis walks in the walking of duck on the red carpet of " Sporting of clubs ".

"als die Grimaldis im Entenmarsch über den roten Teppich des „Sporting Clubs“ schreiten"

If somebody manages to translate this small sentence differently, thank you.
lckc571

This is a very interesting topic, and I do find the recent comments about the Red Cross ball fascinating. It seems like when Albert and Charlene are just one-on-one, they are more natural, but if you add his family, there is something off balance. Maybe it's because he is so much older and his position becomes more apparent, and it just highlights how much she is not equal to it? Around his sisters, she seems rather in over her head, but I am not sure if that's so abnormal. I mean, wouldn't most women look a little intimidated or something around Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie?
My head spins when I see this couple because I can't get my head around them. They make a bizarre dynamic.

Those are all good points paca especially if he were ill. It is natural that you want to be with the one you love to help them if they are not well so I would have thought that she would have left with him and then returned perhaps later to assure everyone that he is just under the weather and will be alright. So I can only guess that he was infact not ill but something of urgency came up and he left and did not return hence Charlene remaining at the ball.
what would be coming up urgently on a friday night around midnight? It is not like he received a call from his wife that one of his kids had to be transported to the emergecy room. He is not the president of the US (or another big country) that is being informed of a major crisis. So what came up? Another date with a georgous blond? Oh wait, that was the one he was ignoring at the ball (according to the tabloids), so it must have been the ugly brunette then....;):lol:

well said, personally I would not have either stayed.
In the newspaper bunte, they said that:

"It is 9 pm, on Friday evening, when Grimaldis walks in the walking of duck on the red carpet of " Sporting of clubs ".

"als die Grimaldis im Entenmarsch über den roten Teppich des „Sporting Clubs“ schreiten"

If somebody manages to translate this small sentence differently, thank you.
lckc571
Bunte? I didn't see their article yet. (strange as last year they had one straight away) Do you have a link? I only read the BILD one

I feel strongly about something I see a lot in the posts here. Many people point to Charlene's lack of formal education, and compare her either to other royal girlfriends/consorts who had it in droves or to her fellows who did not have it or had little of it. I say this in reply to all of your notions about formal education and royalty:

Formal education is wonderful. I love it myself. I embrace it and engage in it with passion, as a professional student, obsessed with gaining degrees. But......... formal education is not the only mark of intelligence, of balance, of fulfilled life! There are all kinds of education. There is self-education. There is education in everything, in every person you meet, in every experience. To belittle someone based on a lack of a degree is a mark of lack of education itself. I see value in everyone, no matter what educational level they achieve. I see value in the work of Diana, in the work of Charles, in the work of Albert and all of the royal families. I do not rate people based on their formal educational level. I hope that if CW is to be Albert's wife, we can look at her as someone who might be able to contribute something to Monaco. Everyone has something in them that is valuable, and CW is not sung yet. :flowers:

I feel strongly about something I see a lot in the posts here. Many people point to Charlene's lack of formal education, and compare her either to other royal girlfriends/consorts who had it in droves or to her fellows who did not have it or had little of it. I say this in reply to all of your notions about formal education and royalty:

Formal education is wonderful. I love it myself. I embrace it and engage in it with passion, as a professional student, obsessed with gaining degrees. But......... formal education is not the only mark of intelligence, of balance, of fulfilled life! There are all kinds of education. There is self-education. There is education in everything, in every person you meet, in every experience. To belittle someone based on a lack of a degree is a mark of lack of education itself. I see value in everyone, no matter what educational level they achieve. I see value in the work of Diana, in the work of Charles, in the work of Albert and all of the royal families. I do not rate people based on their formal educational level. I hope that if CW is to be Albert's wife, we can look at her as someone who might be able to contribute something to Monaco. Everyone has something in them that is valuable, and CW is not sung yet. :flowers:

I totally agree with you CasiraghiTrio: education is a wonderful thing, but like going to the Church doesn't make you a good Christian, a university degree doesn't determine a person's qualities. I know people with more than one uni degree who are real jerks!

i think it was rude if he did leave her there surrounded by no friends and out of her element. if my date had done that i would have been really mad and wonder about a future with such a jerk (prince or not). as for the cold reception from caroline she might want to get used to it. intimidating indeed! i hope some spies come up with the real scoop on his departure, he didn't look sick, besides it would sound so much more professional if they had said he had urgent business. either way he should have been worried about his date (i also would have been worried and left with him, perhaps she wasn't asked)

i think it was rude if he did leave her there surrounded by no friends and out of her element. if my date had done that i would have been really mad and wonder about a future with such a jerk (prince or not). as for the cold reception from caroline she might want to get used to it. intimidating indeed! i hope some spies come up with the real scoop on his departure, he didn't look sick, besides it would sound so much more professional if they had said he had urgent business. either way he should have been worried about his date (i also would have been worried and left with him, perhaps she wasn't asked)

I agree that he didn't seem justified in leaving her there, but at the same time, she looked so uncomfortable there (as you shrewdly pointed out, out of her element) one wonders why she didn't take initiative to leave on her own? Maybe she was trying to impress the impossible-to-impress by sticking it out, but it just made her look more out of her element, more awkward. Partly, I feel sorry for her, but partly I wonder why she bothers with this man and his family who make her feel so uncomfortable? Poor self-esteem? Longing to belong to a club that won't have her?

What makes it stranger is as paca pointed out what could have been so urgent for Monaco? and why wouldn't he have returned to the ball a while later? The whole thing seems strange. I hope someone gets to the bottom of it fast as the gossip in the tabloids are going to have a field day. I guess the official statement was that he was ill? If so why is there no update from the palace that it was just a virus and he is fine. Virus can come on quickly but again the palace should issue a statement that that is what it was and he is fine. If true it did put Charlene in an extremely awkward position. Did she even know he was missing?

I know people with more than one uni degree who are real jerks!

There is rarely a truer statement to be found. I'm always frustrated with how pompous some of my fellow academics can be, looking down on someone without a college degree. Even someone who didn't finish high school can acquire such wisdom in their life from meeting loads of people that would make any Pompous Dr of Philosophy feel foolish. Look at Queen Elizabeth, at Princess Anne! Neither one has a college degree, but would anyone consider them dense?

What makes it stranger is as paca pointed out what could have been so urgent for Monaco? and why wouldn't he have returned to the ball a while later? The whole thing seems strange. I hope someone gets to the bottom of it fast as the gossip in the tabloids are going to have a field day. I guess the official statement was that he was ill? If so why is there no update from the palace that it was just a virus and he is fine. Virus can come on quickly but again the palace should issue a statement that that is what it was and he is fine. If true it did put Charlene in an extremely awkward position. Did she even know he was missing?

Just a few questions! Who came up with the information of PA's sickness in the first place? How do we know that that really happened? Who was the source?
Just curious.....

Just a few questions! Who came up with the information of PA's sickness in the first place? How do we know that that really happened? Who was the source?
Just curious.....

RP scroll back a page and you will see paca's post which indicates that it was in the paper.

I might be wrong, but as far as I can tell, the Princely Palace does not owe any explanation. As long as CW and Albert know what happened and she is fine with whatever happened, I think it's fine. What can we do? Whatever happened, it's between them. If she is fine with being left, there doesn't seem anything else to be said. How can it make her look bad or worse if no one actually knows what happened, if these things are just supposition? I hope the Princely Palace maintains a no-comment policy on this because if they run and jump to "explain" just because a tabloid makes suppositions, it sets a bad precedent, and Albert has lots of that ahead in his reign! :lol:

The palace doesn't owe an explanation why Charlene was left behind, if he was indeed ill. But if he is sick enough to leave one of the most mediatised events in Monacos social calendar and a palace employee said that he had to leave because he was sick, then the people are interested in his well being. Obviously there is no need to inform the public about a cold, but if you have to leave a public engagement early due to illness, it is customary to let people know that it is nothing major, if indeed it isn't. After all he is the head of state and the public has a vested interest in knowing that he is ok. Charlene is totally secondary in this matter.

The palace doesn't owe an explanation why Charlene was left behind, if he was indeed ill. But if he is sick enough to leave one of the most mediatised events in Monacos social calendar and a palace employee said that he had to leave because he was sick, then the people are interested in his well being. Obviously there is no need to inform the public about a cold, but if you have to leave a public engagement early due to illness, it is customary to let people know that it is nothing major, if indeed it isn't. After all he is the head of state and the public has a vested interest in knowing that he is ok. Charlene is totally secondary in this matter.

Those were my thoughts too paca. He is a head of state and if he is ill enough to leave an event of this importance, if I were a citizen of Monaco I would want to know his health was fine. If he left to take care of state business you would think he would return to the ball or the fireworks or the after party and no one would think a thing about it. so the whole thing is strange.

We need to get back on topic.

Some of the posts regarding Albert's early departure...should be in the Red Cross thread. They will be moved so let's move on here.

Thanks!

Actually this has already been said many times & I agree, But Charlene has not made an effort in any way to educate herself, even with the possible position she might find herself in? I don't want to rewrite it, but you can refer to my past posts in which I make reference to this issue (just a few days ago). I want to add something that I don't remember mentioning, and that is at the time of Charlene's Olympic performance, where Charlene is not just representing herself, but her country. Her country especially, could have used some much needed attention that she could have provided in some small way, when she was in the position to do that. She did nothing! So it is hard for me to see her as someone who has any interest in bringing anything to Monaco? Other than her appearance? She is almost 30 & we are still waiting for her to sing? It wouldn't be so bad if she had not been promoting herself at every turn, when she has nothing to promote.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but there appears to be four women in each photo?, and as you mention Charlene is once again distracted from what is going on in front of her and looking or staring at Albert as she has done in so many photos. Everyone watching the event at hand, except for Charlene, who seems to almost always have her eyes on Albert, while everyone else's attention is elsewhere? She seems to be the one without any kind of attention span that does not involve Albert's attention on her? This is what gives her the lost appearance. She is clearly out of her element. I'm sure she was sitting where she was, next to english speaking people, so it might be easier to have a conversation with someone? She still walks behind the family, but since she has appeared at other events walking in, in the same manner a few steps behind Albert since last year & people know by now who she is, I think they do not think she needs a minder (IMO). The awkwardness of this, is because she does not hold any position to walk in with the family, which is why she should not do it, even if Albert is not smart enough to see this. She should decline the invitation & join the family at the table. Most women I feel would not want to put themself in this very awkward position where you have the appearance of imposing oneself into a postion to where you do not belong? And would wait until, if the times comes, to walk in with the family with some intigrity, when one is in the position to do so? (JMO) I do not see the family being rude to her, she is a big girl, has been to many functions by now & she should be able to hold her own - If she ever becomes Albert's wife she will have to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom