Albert & Charlene: The Engagement Interview

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What nonsense. Yes, she, probably, wants to explore France. Not much to explore in Monaco. Asking about children is rude and give them a break!!!. I am sure they were in overdrive when he wished them the best. Perhaps, they said it privately. It was an interview, not a read speech.

I think that this interview will come back again and again untill...?It is a bone to bit (like we are saying in France)for those who don"t like Charlene.For the Question about the children in an interview to Prince Albert about this, he said brively (give us a while)like Charlene said in this interview, Kate also said that it was not the moment to speak about this, but it was Kate.For the speech about discover France,Charlene wanted to be pleased to the french reporter and to the french people because it was an interview for the french channel A2, She agreed also for the monaco she already knew,Monaco is so small, you know this land in a week but in France there are many landscapes and montains, rivers, it was also a diplomatic answer for the france because she knows that the two lands are very near.You cannot know because you are english or american and it is very important.Princess Grace would have say this, I recall she often said that she liked very much France and Roc Agel is on the territory of the France and she was always very happy to be in France.

You have an excuse for everything. This interview was a disaster. P. Albert looks embarraseed, and she was rude.

I was really disappointed that Miss Wittstock doesn't speak French any better. :-( But who cares, Monaco is a quirky place either way.

PrincessDianaFan, you're right about Diana being much loved. Okay, perhaps she didn't have a degree, but she would have been educated in how to behave well.

Charlene doesn't have either, as far as I can see. Let's hope she can acquire a bit of "spit and polish" in the time left before the wedding.

I don't see that Charlene behaves badly. And, I don't think she was rude. She may be nervous, out of her league, a not-so-great student or any other number of things. She has no need to go to University, as there is no such major as "Princess Studies."

It may turn out that she is a "slow study," but formal education has nothing to do with the success of a woman entering the occupation of wife and mother.

She made her country's Olympic team. Hardly any athlete can make it that far without coaching to find the best techniques for winning. She obviously has the capacity to follow instructions and learn.

I'd like to see her emerge as the brightest gem in the diadem of Europe's princesses.

I agree with Melina. I noticed that PG and PC always managed to get a French reference in when talking to American reporters on television.

Who cares about the interview, it's long over, i'm sure she can only get better.

I think CW was really nervous but the interview was really a disaster. And when it comes to her abilities speaking French, I'm not impressed at all. 4 years are 4 years and you'd think she'd have access to the best teachers. I honestly hope she's aware of what a mess that interview was. Maybe it's time Charlene takes things a bit more seriously.

It´s not old news. She still lacks education. You don´t need to go to University to be "educated". She did nothing at all all this years, as far as I know. She´s just plain.

As Princess she is supposed to be an example to young girls. What's the message here? Even Mette Merit when back to school and got her degree. Just sayin...

As Princess she is supposed to be an example to young girls. What's the message here? Even Mette Merit when back to school and got her degree. Just sayin...
Exactly! A school drop out is not a good image for the next generations of kids...let's hope she will continue her studies some day.

Exactly! A school drop out is not a good image for the next generations of kids...let's hope she will continue her studies some day.

Let's not be overly dramatic:whistling:. There are plenty of high school drop outs who have done well for themselves and actually served as role models for kids. Some of the names are listed here Celebrity Research Lists - Famous Dropouts, Celebrity Dropouts . I am not sure if a study has been done on Olympic athletes who don't go the traditional high school route (i.e. many Olympians dont' complete their high school education at the normal time frame but rather get equivalency degrees or finish when their athletic careers are over). Its not like Charlene didn't finish high school so she could hang out at the local mall....she was training.

I am certainly not advocating that anyone not complete their education nor am I comparing Charlene to anyone on the list but as Nathalie said....there is hope that she can continue her studies one day.

Its not like her marriage will put her in position where she will need to be responsible for some important business or medical decisions that she needs a education. And its not like many people look at the members of the Princely Family as any type of moral authorative figure. Nor are many children of the world going to say I won't finish my high school education because I want to grow up to be a Princess. Morely they will say that so they can be a reality star, an entertainer or a famous athlete.

As the wife of the Prince of Monaco, all she needs to do is be able to converse with her subjects (in English and in France), participate at royal events, support her husband (his family and the people of Monaco) and produce an heir. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to do that. Although I would agree that her interview, doesn't give much hope. But thats why you have good advisors.

Last edited:
:previous:

I agree, while Charlene is going to be married to the Prince of Monaco, she's not going to be depended on to make crucial decisions concerning economy or defense. Monaco is not exactly a big player in the world.

With all due respect, it's not about Charlene having to make day-to-day financial decisions. It's about what kind of role model she is. Mette Marit has over come a lot and went back to school to get her degree because she wanted to set a good example that education is important. Much as I raised an eye brow about her becoming princess, she has risen to the occasion from what I can see. So the question is what kind of role model will Charlene make. Thus far, she has had an enormous amount of plastic surgery. If one looks at the trend of young girls undergoing the knife Charlene reinforces that image. People dislike Kate Middleton, but I see a girl who got her education, I do see the other side which is what has she done with it these last eight years. I like Chelsy Davy for this reason. She has continued her education and will hopefully go on to get a good job and not just hang around waiting for Harry. The comparisons to Charlene are fair. So again the question is what kind of role model will she be?

I don't know...yes, she doesn't need to be Einstein to produce an heir but still...
MM for example continued with her studies. Let's hope Charlene will do the same.
This interview was a disaster, an interview to be forgotten. Charlene made many mistakes here, and it seemed like she and Albert don't agree in anything.
To the question of having children, while Albert said of course they'll have, Charlene answered with a "give me us a break!" that nobody expected. She could have said something else...anything but that!
Her lack of education shows that she doesn't have too many social skills, how to talk properly to people...no surprise that she only has two friends in Monaco.

In that context, who in the world would be so daft as to admit to the world that one has only two friends??

Baaaaad PR all round.

Becoming Prince Albert's wife takes more than just standing by his side and looking good, she will have to partake in palitical/financal issues. Should he pass away, she will have to have a voice a voice of command, a voice of reason. I hope her limited educational background does not impede her from this.

Becoming Prince Albert's wife takes more than just standing by his side and looking good, she will have to partake in palitical/financal issues. Should he pass away, she will have to have a voice a voice of command, a voice of reason. I hope her limited educational background does not impede her from this.

Charlene will not an official role in any political or financial issues that involve Monaco. He has official advisors and/or ministers who have the educational and professional experience for that.

Should Albert pass away and if they have no children, she will be the Dowager Princess of Monaco, that's it. During her marriage, she might be a voice for Albert to bounce things off (similiar to Phillip of the UK or any other spouse of a reigning monarch) but Charlene will have no consitutional power. If they have no children and Albert dies, the throne will revert to Caroline and her heirs. If they have children and Albert dies, I am sure a Regency would be appointed for any minor children. But most likely the person in charge will be Caroline (its usually someone who is also in line to the throne not the mother). Charlene will have a say in the child's educational and personal issues but any "reigning or governmental decisions" won't come from her.

Last edited:
Charlene will not an official role in any political or financial issues that involve Monaco. He has official advisors and/or ministers who have the educational and professional experience for that.

Should Albert pass away and if they have no children, she will be the Dowager Princess of Monaco, that's it. During her marriage, she might be a voice for Albert to bounce things off (similiar to Phillip of the UK or any other spouse of a reigning monarch) but Charlene will have no consitutional power. If they have no children and Albert dies, the throne will revert to Caroline and her heirs. If they have children and Albert dies, I am sure a Regency would be appointed for any minor children. But most likely the person in charge will be Caroline (its usually someone who is also in line to the throne not the mother). Charlene will have a say in the child's educational and personal issues but any "reigning or governmental decisions" won't come from her.

And the other way if Charlene dies?

If Charlene dies and Albert is still alive, I would imagine he would have custody of said children.

If both die before the children reach the age of majority, I would think that Caroline (and or Stephanie) could be Regent in their name. If everyone (Charlene, Stephanie, Caroline and Albert) and the kids are under age, I would imagine one of the Trio or the de Massey's (Elizabeth maybe).

But hopefully, any of the above scenarios will never happen.

I am sure that is something that has been laid out (a contingency plan).

The Sovereign Prince will automatically have custody of any children with the future princess, whereas the Princess has no right over her children.

The Sovereign Prince will automatically have custody of any children with the future princess, whereas the Princess has no right over her children.

Which is pretty much the case for all royal children. I believe Mary's prenup states this, and Diana/Sarah understood the same when they divorced.

Monaco would be no different.

I don't know...yes, she doesn't need to be Einstein to produce an heir but still...
MM for example continued with her studies. Let's hope Charlene will do the same.
This interview was a disaster, an interview to be forgotten. Charlene made many mistakes here, and it seemed like she and Albert don't agree in anything.
To the question of having children, while Albert said of course they'll have, Charlene answered with a "give me us a break!" that nobody expected. She could have said something else...anything but that!
Her lack of education shows that she doesn't have too many social skills, how to talk properly to people...no surprise that she only has two friends in Monaco.
I have to agree that Charlene has no social skills. I think her lack of education is taking its toll. She will always have this problem if she doesn't start working on her education. I also think Charlene's social ineptness has something to do with her immaturity. I saw 2 videos of Charlene's interviews and read many of her interviews she so happily gives-she doesn't behave like a woman in her 30s.

Last edited:
It would be very sad if "they" wanted CW as only a decorative object whose only virtue whould be wearing fashion clothes. Up to now, that is my impression of her. Her dropping out of school would not be so serious if she had worked on her culture and education all this time. I still remember that pitiful situation at a ball where she didn´t recognize Placido Domingo. That is knowledge of the world, no one is going to teach you that.
Being a first lady is not a trifle. When the Prince Pierre of Literature is given, Caroline, who is an avid reader, participate in debates and gives an opinion on the books in competition (this was said by a member of the French Academy). I really doubt CW has the talent to replace Caroline in some duties as well as she does.

When you've spent your life literally with your head underwater you miss alot thats going on in the outside world. She just has to catch up.

Thanks to Rosana who flagged up the point that "being a first lady is not a trifle".

There was another major faux-pas some years ago when CW put her arm casually around Graca Machel's rear end (Nelson Mandela's wife) as if they were old mates.

The thought of CW judging literary prizes is very far from reality, but, with some skilful handling, she could catch up on what she missed in the "underworld".

Again, I blame PA who seems oblivious to the shortcomings of his fiancée. Let's hope there is no "rude awakening".....

I thought Charlene's S. African interview went very well. Her answers were much more thought out. It also helped that she was in her home country. Tattler is definitely not the place for a beginner.

I was surprised she said France instead of Monaco when talking about the country. I'd imagine she was very, very nervous. Can't say I blame her, but this isn't her first television interview with Albert, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

"I still remember that pitiful situation at a ball where she didn´t recognize Placido Domingo."

How long ago was that gaffe? I have been a fan of his for years and when I saw him last summer, I didn't recognize him at first. He has changed so much as he has aged.

"I still remember that pitiful situation at a ball where she didn´t recognize Placido Domingo."

How long ago was that gaffe? I have been a fan of his for years and when I saw him last summer, I didn't recognize him at first. He has changed so much as he has aged.

Oh Kitty...don't you know?

Some people are never allowed to live down their errors or potential embarassments.

George Clooney said it best. George Clooney...People's Sexiest Man of the Year, Academy Award winner died today.:ROFLMAO:

Standing up for Charlene

Hi, reading some of the comments on this board I'm gonna stand up for Charlene - Nobody is perfect and we all have to start somewhere. Everyone makes mistakes, the diffirence is, we can forget about ours and move on, in the public eye people remember every single lil thing and don't seem to let go. Rather than going on about what she's done or said in the past how about accepting that she & P Albert are very happy and in love, lets eveyone look forward to the wedding and wish them well in their lives together.
In light of the death of Princess Antoinette, lets realise that we only have one life so we should enjoy the time we have. I hope people will be more accepting of Charlene, she's a girl who has fallen in love, and sadly people want to give her a hard time for that, it's sad that people have to be jealous and nasty about her.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Charlene isn't going around hurting people, so please give her a break. Lifes too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom