Albert & Charlene: The Engagement Interview

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's quite normal for many people not to be au fait with questions of religion.

Adherence to religions/denominations is shrinking as we speak.

I would not have taken exception to CW describing herself as a Christian, rather than as an adherent to, say, Roman Catholicism, or any other denomination.

It may well be that, as a child, she was baptised. If so, then half the battle is done, since baptism is the foundation stone (so to speak) on which one can build in later life.

The main issue is that any child of the PA/CW marriage is baptised a Roman Catholic.

Personally I don't find the Give us a break comment offensive at all. I believe asking the comment is offensive.

First because its like...Can we get married first and enjoy married life before having a child.

Look at Victoria...she married in June and now people are asking when is she going to have a child. Almost everyone looks at her stomach before looking at her face.

Can Albert and Charlene get married first?

Personally I don't find the Give us a break comment offensive at all. I believe asking the comment is offensive.

First because its like...Can we get married first and enjoy married life before having a child.

Look at Victoria...she married in June and now people are asking when is she going to have a child. Almost everyone looks at her stomach before looking at her face.

Can Albert and Charlene get married first?

Indeed. Al has already had two without getting maried:flowers:
Is there a requirement that a Princesse de Monaco be Catholic ?

The question about having a family can never be agressive. It is an ovbious question for a couple that is going to marry. He did not ask "when are you going to have a child". Besides, how long will this couple enjoy married life? As far as I know CW has been living in tha Palace for long. Her answer should have been polite and politically correct. Like PA said after her: "yes of course we want a family".
Instead she answers as if she were among a group of friends. No class at all, and no excuse as regards the language.

The question about having a family can never be agressive. It is an ovbious question for a couple that is going to marry. He did not ask "when are you going to have a child". Besides, how long will this couple enjoy married life? As far as I know CW has been living in tha Palace for long. Her answer should have been polite and politically correct. Like PA said after her: "yes of course we want a family".
Instead she answers as if she were among a group of friends. No class at all, and no excuse as regards the language.

We must agree to disagree then. I find it a rude and none of your business question. And I think asking this question is rude if you are royal, your family, someone you work with anyone.

First, what if they don't want to have children? Not everyone does even though it is widely l acknowledged that Albert should have children to secure Monaco's succession.

Finally, what if whatever reason they can't have kids. Again, I would assume that this has been checked out by the Monaco powers that be but still.

I will agree that Charlene could have handled the question (and the interview) better. I don'tknow who is in charge of the "Princess training" but they are not doing a good job. Maybe they should try to hire the people who worked with Daniel, Maxima, etc.

I think you are all being a little hard on Charlene. Remember how Charlotte was nervous and ehhing in her first television interview and she was speaking in her native language. Also, it hasn't been that long ago that Caroline Kennedy was crucified by the American press for her lack of interviewing skills when she tried to get appointed Senator for New York State. Caroline and Charlotte have been in the public eye their entire lives. Think how much more difficult it is for Charlene. I think that they are all just basically shy people. The same for PA. Personally, I find it quite refreshing. They come across as normal people; not jaded politicians.

I think it is amazing how the same interview is interpreted so differently.:lol:
Charlene and Albert seemed really disconnected in this interview. When asked about kids CW said "Give use a brake" and Albert diplomatically "We want to start family" :ermm::ROFLMAO: When Albert stated " When things get complicated" , Charlene was like "No". Dear, those people are together 4 years and they cannot agree on basics. :whistling:
Charlene's French is horrible. Excuse me, this woman has been living in Monaco full 4 years and she had no job, no duties and all the means provided by a rich prince, she had plenty of time to learn French. :bang:
I don't think she was nervous, she was giggling like a little girl and from her prior numerous interviews I know her vocabulary is limited also in her native language, English. :whistling:
There is no excuse that Charlene was nervous during this interview because it was her first one. She had a lot of interviews before. BTW she has been blabbing a lot for the last four years. By no means she is a shy girl, rather self confident and even arrogant.:argh:

First, what if they don't want to have children? Not everyone does even though it is widely l acknowledged that Albert should have children to secure Monaco's succession.

Well, we know that´s far from reality but, that´s why the question!! Do they want or not?

I see that CW attitude is seen very differently, from shy to arrogant, which are almost opposite terms. For me she is just conceited and ambitious. She has known for long she would be a princess one day. PA didn´t let her live in the Palace, and with all means at her will, just waiting for an answer. So, why bother? This woman is laziness in person.

And, come on, to answer a stupid question like, "is swimming helping you coping with stress" (which she didn´t answer at all) or "do you want to have children", you don´t need anybody else to write a script for you. Imagine she has to preside over the Prince Pierre Awards meetings! I hope Caroline stays where she is, as Honorary F. Lady, or whatever.

About Charlotte and the constantly "eehh...", i think it's natural in french speakers do that. If there's any french here, please correct me if i'm wrong, but the "eehh" it's totally natural when they talk.
About Charlene: For me, she didn't know how to handle the interview. It was like they told her one minute before that she was going to be interviewed. And that was the result.
She could have answered differently to the children question, just like Albert did.
And i'm sorry, but i insist with her french: 4 years, she was living there 4 years, not 4 months. She should be more fluent. I don't get why there are here so condescent people defending her...

I get the impression that her French might not be that bad and that she was just totally unprepared for the interview and nervous.
Her job as princesse de Monaco wont exactly be rocket science anyway. She will be required to smile, look pretty in Armani and provide an heir. She already does the first two and even if she cant manage the third, there are plenty of alternatives.

IMO she is too good for thisfamily.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that she had no advance warning about the interview. Patrick Poivre d'Arvor (known as PPDA, and very well known!) is one of France's foremost media personalities, and the interview had been planned well in advance.

That the interview fell apart at the end is mainly due to PA who did not prepare CW, and due to CW who seems to think she can do and say to the media whatever she chooses.

Dear commonconsort, if you could just say "at what" is she good.

She is good at not being photographed topless, not getting pregnant or having children outside of marriage, not having any previous husbands ....

She is good at not being photographed topless, not getting pregnant or having children outside of marriage, not having any previous husbands ....

And the list can go on and on. She really good at NOT getting a job, not studying anything at all, not learning a language, not answering a silly question in her onw language, etc, etc. After all, what she has to do is smile and have a child, and for that, she doen´t need her brains.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the actual interview...so let's move on.

Zonk, you're right, this is about the interview.

The PPDA interview was no doubt envisaged as a major media coup - partly for managing to get PPDA out of retirement to do the job !!

Sadly, it fell apart through lack of coaching, maybe not through PA's fault.

But I would have thought that PA, after a series of media problems over five or six years, could have "played safe" on that one.

My heart sank when CW said she "would like to get to know France"...... quel dommage....

she said I would like to get to know France "and then she added " monaco I know' I don't understand why your heard sank, Monaco is a very very small country the second after the state of Vatican in superficie ( 2 km2). In five years, you have the time to know the landscape of Monaco,Sea and a little mountain behind. France is bigger and various landscapeS ' high mountains, lakes, rivers, a sea and two oceans. And it was to be pleased with PPa reporter who is french.Prince Albert was agree with this answer. IT was a fair answer.

I get the impression that her French might not be that bad and that she was just totally unprepared for the interview and nervous.
Her job as princesse de Monaco wont exactly be rocket science anyway. She will be required to smile, look pretty in Armani and provide an heir. She already does the first two and even if she cant manage the third, there are plenty of alternatives.

IMO she is too good for thisfamily.:eek:

Yes, rosana, like I said.

I think it can be a lot of things explaining why this interview was a pseudo disaster (that's a strong word but it didn't go well). Obviously Charlene could be a little more proficient in French (she has had 4 years to work on it) and she might have been nervous. That bit is certain understandable.

As previously mentioned, people who appear in the public eye and have spoken in public in the past (i.e. Charlotte C. and Caroline Kennedy) still appear nervous when they speak, so that might account for the flippant answers.

Also, as previously stated some of the questions were a bit ridiculous she just needs to get better at giving the answer without giving the answer. Something along the lines, We would love to be blessed with children, but let's not put the cart before the horse kind of thing might be okay. And a nicer way of saying...Can I get married first?

Yes, rosana, like I said.

You don´t get an irony, do you?

If the Grimaldi´s are a bad example because they had previous marriages, illegitimate children, or have made topless(?¿), you are living in the Middle Ages. People are not better or worst for that. At least they have University titles, or have made an effort to learn a living without the need of it (like Stephanie).

As for the interview, I still don´t get how the questions can be seen as silly. It is a way of make an excuse for her.The interviewer is experienced and well known.

I wonder what would you ask CW before the wedding. You cannot ask about her past jobs or any interesting activity, you cannot ask how are your French classes, because it is obvious. She doesn´t even make an effort. She just turns to English with a childish "oh I will answer in English", as if she had arrived yesterday. What are the intelligent questions you would ask CW?

:previous:I was under the impression that you too thought some of the questions were silly, or at least I got that from a previous post:

And, come on, to answer a stupid question like, "is swimming helping you coping with stress" (which she didn´t answer at all) or "do you want to have children", you don´t need anybody else to write a script for you.

Personally I find some questions regarding royals are rather unimportant for lack of a better word. The questions and the answers are rather fluffy or popcorn light. Or maybe its the royal or the time frame. Diana's intial interview was just as bubblegum, if anyone can remember that Are you in love question.

Certainly, if Charlene had participated in programs such as AMDADE and AIDS, then the questions would have more relevance and would have cause for serious answers. Certainly Charles could have a serious interview about the environment, Maxima about microfinance, etc. The problem is that Charlene doesn't have a serious agenda to discuss.

Again, whoever is doing her PR work needs to reassigned. Its not looking so good.

Last edited:
Yes, I should have used another word instead of "stupid", because it can be misinterpreted. I didn´t mean the questions were inappropppriate, but simple.

I have the impression there is a team of people who are in charge of her image, what is shown in public, let´s say, personal apearence and everything included like make-up, clothes. But there is another aspect they have not given much importance (or her), which is the way she´s going to deal, express, connect with people. Not only a language is a way of communicating, the body language, the gestures.
Her smile is always the same, she doesn´t have any shades, it´s like a wax smile, she shows no emotions. Always the same boring, inexpressive face.

Simple is another word for bubblegum IMO.

And I still think the family question is inappropriate but that is me. I was speaking with a friend today about a common friend, and he mentioned that the woman (that we are both friends with) does not want any children. Now she and her husband have been married for like 5 years, and I always wondered if they were going to have children but didn't think it was my place to ask. And now I know.

Now it could be stated that as a public figure both Charlene and Albert have to answer all questions, but I think EVERY one is entitled to some facet of privacy. Even Charlene and Albert.

But in regards to the actual interview, the questions asked were empty questions that don't show any substance on behalf of the interviewer or the interviewee.

Her face is her face, you can't change that. I think a majority of people in the public eye are used to showing no emotion. Especially royals.

Last edited:
You don´t get an irony, do you?

If the Grimaldi´s are a bad example because they had previous marriages, illegitimate children, or have made topless(?¿), you are living in the Middle Ages. People are not better or worst for that. At least they have University titles, or have made an effort to learn a living without the need of it (like Stephanie).

As for the interview, I still don´t get how the questions can be seen as silly. It is a way of make an excuse for her.The interviewer is experienced and well known.

I wonder what would you ask CW before the wedding. You cannot ask about her past jobs or any interesting activity, you cannot ask how are your French classes, because it is obvious. She doesn´t even make an effort. She just turns to English with a childish "oh I will answer in English", as if she had arrived yesterday. What are the intelligent questions you would ask CW?

I did not say they were a bad example. IMO Miss Wittstock has led a much more dignified and decorous life than the Grimaldis. (University degrees they might have but which of them exactly are "earning a living " ??
AFAIK divorces and illegitimate children are as frowned upon by Catholic teachings now as they were in the "Middle Ages"##..and what would I ask her before the wedding ????.....I would ask her why o why she wants to marry this middle-aged little man.

And, with the execption of Mathilde, I believe Miss Wittstock is an acceptable a consort as any of the other current commoner consorts.

I'm sorry, this has nothing to do with the discussion, but i just couldn't resist. I laughed so hard when i read this:
she wants to marry this middle-aged little man
Middle aged little man, it's so funny :lol: ok, maybe it's not funny but i'm weird so...

Throughout the interview CW's mouth actions[like moving her mouth about} were strange and she was self conscious to the point of distraction. She had no poise.She lacked the assurance that a person about to enter a public position like this should have.
The question regarding family is asked of all betrothed couples in a public position and I do not think it was disrespectful.However I do think CW has gotten in over her head and as such there will be choppy waters ahead. As for the PR team CW can hire and fire them.
The hardest thing in life is to be exactly who you are and that is what Pa and Cw are in the interview.
Not even being being able differentiate between Christian and Catholic is an embarrassment.Had Cw converted she would have spoken of catechism I think and how she gladly anticipates family therefore and her firstState visit to the vatican which is what the Monequasque couple do as protocol. An opportunity to be received by the Pope. Instead of that brush off she gave the reporter. They are not totally private and ultimately accountable to Monaco.

She is young and lovely and for some reason has incurred the wrath of many here. First of all, her French, perhaps, still a struggle. I read some of the posts on this site and admire that many people whose English is less than "perfect" post, and good for them. But if she made some ridiculous mistake, she would be derided. Asking someone about their plans for children is rude. If you ask any bride that question, it is plain rude. As time passes, she will get used to being in the public eye and how to skirt around the questions.

AFAIK divorces and illegitimate children are as frowned upon by Catholic teachings now as they were in the "Middle Ages"##..

The Church is still in the Middle Ages, and the though of many of its members, as well as your.

She is young and lovely and for some reason has incurred the wrath of many here. First of all, her French, perhaps, still a struggle. I read some of the posts on this site and admire that many people whose English is less than "perfect" post, and good for them.

It is a pity we cannot find out how YOU write in another language. I suppose you are competent in several languages, as you are so quick to criticize others.

rosana, I must disagree with your "Church is in the Middle Ages" criticism.

There is a lot to be said for encouraging people to honor marital vows, and to not take it lightly, and to respect the commitment once it is made.

There is much to be said for urging people to bring children into a loving and stable family with TWO parents..imagine the embarrassment PA would have avoided if he had been more careful(regarding his two natural children?)

Imagine the pain Princess Stephanie would have saved herself if she had listened to the teachings of the "Middle Ages Catholic Church" before she took up with her bodyguard?

The Catholic Church is far from perfect but it, as well as it's teachings have been around for 2,000 years...and there is a good reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom