A Wife for Albert part III

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<comment about deleted post removed - Elspeth>

Charlene does nothing for me, good or bad. But if I had to choose I would say she leaves me wanting. I think Paca posted that she heard (rumor) that she was not especially "popular", a comment I can fully understand. Even when she did her interview she came accross as shallow. Just plain shallow. Running after olympic glory, instead of academics. Yes, lots of people do it but training your whole life for a gold medal you will probably never get is a bit self indulgent, to say the least. I know she tried to make it okay by talking about her volunteer work giving swim lessons to kids but come on?? She hails from the poorest, most undereducated, AIDS infected continent in the world. Can't she do better than swim lessons? I'm sure if she marries PA she'll pull one out of her hat, but she has just come accross in a very empty way to me. I know, I'm being harsh, my opinion could change or we could learn more. But for today...

Last edited by a moderator:
leahteresa said:
I posted this on the CW thread but it probably belongs here as well...

I meant to put in my two cents last night but got tired....I'm thirty six weeks pregnant and counting...

Charlene does nothing for me, good or bad. But if I had to choose I would say she leaves me wanting. I think Paca posted that she heard (rumor) that she was not especially "popular", a comment I can fully understand. Even when she did her interview she came accross as shallow. Just plain shallow. Running after olympic glory, instead of academics. Yes, lots of people do it but training your whole life for a gold medal you will probably never get is a bit self indulgent, to say the least. I know she tried to make it okay by talking about her volunteer work giving swim lessons to kids but come on?? She hails from the poorest, most undereducated, AIDS infected continent in the world. Can't she do better than swim lessons? I'm sure if she marries PA she'll pull one out of her hat, but she has just come accross in a very empty way to me. I know, I'm being harsh, my opinion could change or we could learn more. But for today...
I am not sure if I will be able to reply this with out getting deleted but that kind of poor leaving is not for white SA I will leave this comment short I have very much enjoy being on this forum so i do not want to alienated by my new found friends.

leahteresa said:

I guess shallow would be my impression of Charlene after reading the PM article. I knew I wanted to get the impression there was something else to her...but I was left wanting something. By the time the most people reach their late 20's, they have some sort of idea of what they want from their lives...I put down the magazine feeling that she really hadn't thought beyond her swimming career. I didn't realize that she was teaching on a voluntary level...I thought she was getting paid for that work. Oh, well...

The second part of your paragraph really hit home for me. I wonder if Charlene realizes that there is so much more good she could use her celebrity for in South Africa. If she should marry Albert, I don't think she'll "pull one out of her hat" -- I don't think it would occur to her. (I'd like to be proven wrong on that one.) In the achievements post, we all talk about how we have such high expectations for Albert based on his accession speech last July and some of his early actions. Maybe that's why we'd like to see more from a potential future Pss of Monaco. Even Albert has said that he envisioned having a "team" marriage like his parents had. It would be difficult for anyone to come out of the gate like Eleanor Roosevelt, but I would like to see a potential pss as someone who could grasp the sense of history around her husband's agenda and provide it with an appropriate framework much as Jackie Kennedy did with her husband's administration despite some of its blunders.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what kind of wife do you want to see Prince Albert to have?

Me.

I would like her to have a broad education. Now that does not mean she has to have a college degree. She could be trained in a speciality. She could even been self educated. I know a lot of people who are continually reading to learn more on the subject that has their attention at that time.

I would like to see close to Albert's age. I'm sorry I think when there is 20 or more years between spouses there can't be anything there but sex and money.

Looks are important but not the only thing.

To me the most important thing would be for there to be love.

pinklady1991 said:
I guess shallow would be my impression of Charlene after reading the PM article. I knew I wanted to get the impression there was something else to her...but I was left wanting something. By the time the most people reach their late 20's, they have some sort of idea of what they want from their lives...I put down the magazine feeling that she really hadn't thought beyond her swimming career. I didn't realize that she was teaching on a voluntary level...I thought she was getting paid for that work. Oh, well...

The second part of your paragraph really hit home for me. I wonder if Charlene realizes that there is so much more good she could use her celebrity for in South Africa. If she should marry Albert, I don't think she'll "pull one out of her hat" -- I don't think it would occur to her. (I'd like to be proven wrong on that one.) In the achievements post, we all talk about how we have such high expectations for Albert based on his accession speech last July and some of his early actions. Maybe that's why we'd like to see more from a potential future Pss of Monaco. Even Albert has said that he envisioned having a "team" marriage like his parents had. It would be difficult for anyone to come out of the gate like Eleanor Roosevelt, but I would like to see a potential pss as someone who could grasp the sense of history around her husband's agenda and provide it with an appropriate framework much as Jackie Kennedy did with her husband's administration despite some of its blunders.

Someone with some depth would be good. But then, I read somewhere that PA Actually likes 'diaphanous blonds' so, it might be asking a lot of his current girlfriend, but who knows, she should have some ability to learn something. They can always send her to remedial school if they need to:)

maryellen1539 said:
So what kind of wife do you want to see Prince Albert to have?

Me.

I would like her to have a broad education. Now that does not mean she has to have a college degree. She could be trained in a speciality. She could even been self educated. I know a lot of people who are continually reading to learn more on the subject that has their attention at that time.

I would like to see close to Albert's age. I'm sorry I think when there is 20 or more years between spouses there can't be anything there but sex and money.

Looks are important but not the only thing.

To me the most important thing would be for there to be love.

I agree with that. Someone who seems to have something more to offer than just the physical, perhaps someone that might be be able to do more than just to swim until unable to compete anymore. But then, if that's her ambition, oh well...

I wonder how she is supporting herself, if she is only doing a volunteer work. Does she do anything else? I guess she may decide to grab onto something since Albert is involved in so much, maybe they could give her something to do.

Alicia Warlick - the type of wife for albert

I've already voiced my dislike of Charlene as a suitable wife for a head of state and sovereign ruler – Prince Albert II. And, I’ve already stated my reasons why. I just wanted to highlight some information I found on a website for Alicia Warlick (one of Albert’s former girlfriends). On the surface, Alicia and Charlene have many things in common – blond, blue eyes, attractive, competitive athletes, almost the same age (Alicia was born in Oct. 1977), and of course they both dated Albert. Below are some excerpts that I think highlights some of the major differences between the two women – things of substance. I still think Albert should look for substance in a wife.

Albert took Alicia to several Monaco official events as his date. Not once did Alicia (or her family) hired a PR manager and spoke to the press after these events. Granted, they are no longer dating, so obviously the relationship did not work out and she was not the one for him. But, she symbolizes some of the characteristics that I feel (I know he doesn’t care what I think) he should look for in a mate - beauty (I hate to admit this, but we live in a beauty focused society), intelligence, class, and athletic (or at least healthy). Of course, he should be in love with the woman he decides to marry and she should possess other characteristics such as kindness, charm, and be an engaging conversationalist. But, these are characteristics most of us wouldn’t know unless they confess these things or we meet them in person.

From Alicia’s website: http://www.aliciawarlick.com/ (the website hasn’t been updated since 2004. So, I don’t know what’s going on with her). I think this is the type of website Charlene will set up – if it doesn’t work out with Albert. She will have no need to create this type of website if she is a princess in waiting. Non-team professional athletics need sponsors.

High School Years.Although track was a substantial part of her high school experience, in high school Alicia remained focused on schoolwork. At the end of her senior year, Alicia graduated 33rd in her class of 757. She had also obtained a perfect score of 800 on the mathematics portion of the Scholastic Aptitude Test, the American college entrance exam. "My parents really helped keep me and my brother focused. In high school it was sometimes difficult to balance athletics, my friendships and my schoolwork. My parents worked hard to make sure that balance was there for me."

College Years. In the fall of 1995, Alicia entered Harvard University, majoring in economics. At Harvard, Alicia served as a sports journalist for the Harvard newspaper, an academic tutor, and as a peer counselor. Alicia joined the Harvard team as a hurdler, and first experimented with the pole vault as a member of a private Boston athletic club. "I enjoyed tremendously the intellectual and cultural excitement of the University, and for the first time I was able to shape completely my own course of study."
Alicia continued her program at Harvard through the fall of 1996. In the spring 1997, Alicia decided to take a sabbatical to hone her track skills, and during the following fall, she decided to attend Stanford University for a one-year term to train and compete with the best collegiate competitors.

Later Years. Alicia has taken a leave from Harvard to train full time for the 2004 Olympics in Athens. She is being trained by Tom Tellez, the eminent former track and field coach for the University of Houston, who trained the outstanding Olympian, Carl Lewis.

Also, here's a picture of Alicia from her website.

Attachments

• Warlick.jpg
    Warlick.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,746
Queen Zenobia said:
So what you are suggesting is that he should have married her?

No, not at all. Let me repeat what I said above. I highlighted the pertinent thing I was trying to convey in my post.

MyAdia said:
Granted, they are no longer dating, so obviously the relationship did not work out and she was not the one for him. But, she symbolizes some of the characteristics that I feel (I know he doesn’t care what I think) he should look for in a mate - beauty (I hate to admit this, but we live in a beauty focused society), intelligence, class, and athletic (or at least healthy). Of course, he should be in love with the woman he decides to marry and she should possess other characteristics such as kindness, charm, and be an engaging conversationalist. But, these are characteristics most of us wouldn’t know unless they confess these things or we meet them in person.

This isn't quite the proper thread, but it would be a waste to start a new one for something like this...so

When is the calmest time on the Monaco social calendar that would be ideal for a Royal wedding?

While this is sorta directed at paca, I would like everyone to feel free to chime in.

Ann

Suonymona said:
This isn't quite the proper thread, but it would be a waste to start a new one for something like this...so

When is the calmest time on the Monaco social calendar that would be ideal for a Royal wedding?

While this is sorta directed at paca, I would like everyone to feel free to chime in.

Ann

I would have to think April, late May (after Cannes Film Festival), June, July, September, early October??? July may be a little hot. January would have Ste. Devote and the Monte-Carlo Circus, February may not be bad but miserable weather, March is the Rose Ball, May is the Cannes Film Festival, August is Red Cross Ball, November is National Day, December is the Christmas holidays. While Cannes doesn't affect Monco directly, it's close enough to feel the chaos probably. I guess I leave this to Paca...but if the Prince chooses a day to get married, others more than likely will have to change their schedules to fit.

I don't think Charlene is the 'one.' And a royal wedding? Isn't PA a little old for a big, pompus wedding? After all the missteps in his private life, it would be pleasant and a good PR move for him to get married in a low-key manner to someone who hasn't spilled the beans to the press about their 'relationship' every chance she gets and who is of a credible age with a credible education. That's not too much to hope for I don't think.

If he does get married which I seriously doubt he will, he will have a big wedding as ruler of monaco. I think the people of monaco would expect it and the publicity would be good for monaco.

Laviollette said:
and who is of a credible age
That gets more difficult by the day. :rolleyes: I mean sure there were Willem III and Emma of the Netherlands, but that was 120 years ago. Nowadays? Pffff. He is 48. She must be under 35 when they start dating if we say between that and an engagement lie 2 years at least and they want 2 children at least. But finding a woman with a credible age with a credible education and a credible pre-Albert life a.k.a. reputation (to paraphrase Laviollette) might be very difficult. Well, I guess it's really good that Albert himself has good hopes still. Or he just keeps mum. ;)

Albert might be waiting for a priest to draw up the right list.

Fate had Grace on Rainier's list.

Ann

ROYAL ACCESS

FOXY Philadelphia TV reporter Alycia Lane gives her stories the personal touch. The Long Island native, who works for CBS affiliate WKYW, jetted to Monaco to interview Prince Albert on the 50th anniversary of Princess Grace's wedding and got invited to a private party at the palace. In photos seen by Page Six, the newlywed journo is seen head to head with Albert, her arms cozily wrapped around the royal. In another, they're holding hands and dancing. Lane insists there was no canoodling or risqué behavior. "Absolutely nothing happened," she fumed to Page Six. A station rep said Lane was only being "friendly" with the prince.
http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix_u.htm

In all of his adventures, I don't think Albert has gotten involved with a married woman. Even Nicole was divorced (or at least legally separated) when they started.

And with a reporter? Of all the professions a girlfriend of Albert's could have, I think this would be naturally far down on the list.

Ann

Suonymona said:
Albert might be waiting for a priest to draw up the right list.

Fate had Grace on Rainier's list.

Ann

It doesn't seem like something he would do. To me, that would be along the lines of Ranier pressing him to marry someone suitable. He hasn't dated many "suitable" women thus I don't think he's going that route of a divine matchmaker. . .I guess he could get an advisor if he really wanted to produce an heir for Monaco, but at 48, it doesn't seem like a priority for him. I dunno.

I think that on one hand, PA might feel that he is too old to do the big wedding thing, but on the other hand, protocol may demand it. The wedding could be a happy medium between the two with other royal houses being invited to the nuptials way in advance but sworn to secrecy while the general public hears of the engagement only a short time before the wedding. I doubt there will be any week-long pre-wedding festivities.

Then again, if he marries someone from the states, I could see him getting married in the US (perhaps Philadelphia, Boston or New York) and bringing his bride back to Monaco for the festivities. It's kind fun to speculate :)

BurberryBrit said:
I think that on one hand, PA might feel that he is too old to do the big wedding thing, but on the other hand, protocol may demand it. The wedding could be a happy medium between the two with other royal houses being invited to the nuptials way in advance but sworn to secrecy while the general public hears of the engagement only a short time before the wedding. I doubt there will be any week-long pre-wedding festivities.

Then again, if he marries someone from the states, I could see him getting married in the US (perhaps Philadelphia, Boston or New York) and bringing his bride back to Monaco for the festivities. It's kind fun to speculate :)

PA's marriage would be a state affair requiring the pomp and circumstance and would have to be done in Monaco. Ma Kelly wanted Grace married out of St. Brigid's in Philly but Fr. Tucker had to tell her that as head of state, Rainier had to be married in MC. I'm thinking about a four to six month engagement from the time to announcement to the ceremony.

Ms Griffin said:
That gets more difficult by the day. :rolleyes: I mean sure there were Willem III and Emma of the Netherlands, but that was 120 years ago. Nowadays? Pffff. He is 48. She must be under 35 when they start dating if we say between that and an engagement lie 2 years at least and they want 2 children at least. But finding a woman with a credible age with a credible education and a credible pre-Albert life a.k.a. reputation (to paraphrase Laviollette) might be very difficult. Well, I guess it's really good that Albert himself has good hopes still. Or he just keeps mum. ;)

The age think is flexible thanks to some aid from modern medicine...and note, I have friends who are in their 20's and can't get pregnant and friends in their early 40's who with little or no assistance started a family (and everything was fine). That part all depends on the woman... Personally, I think someone 33-39 would be more suited to what is required. (I keep thinking of Sophie on PA's visit to London.) No learning curve as a CP here...and you also have to remember on the other end of the age issue...it could potentially be hard on a 55-60 year old woman caring for an aging husband as well as 20 something children...

pinklady1991 said:
PA's marriage would be a state affair requiring the pomp and circumstance and would have to be done in Monaco. Ma Kelly wanted Grace married out of St. Brigid's in Philly but Fr. Tucker had to tell her that as head of state, Rainier had to be married in MC. I'm thinking about a four to six month engagement from the time to announcement to the ceremony.
Oh, I didn't realize that was the rule. (I was thinking of Angela and Max's wedding in NY.) But he isn't CP either.

tiawanika said:
ROYAL ACCESS

FOXY Philadelphia TV reporter Alycia Lane gives her stories the personal touch. The Long Island native, who works for CBS affiliate WKYW, jetted to Monaco to interview Prince Albert on the 50th anniversary of Princess Grace's wedding and got invited to a private party at the palace. In photos seen by Page Six, the newlywed journo is seen head to head with Albert, her arms cozily wrapped around the royal. In another, they're holding hands and dancing. Lane insists there was no canoodling or risqué behavior. "Absolutely nothing happened," she fumed to Page Six. A station rep said Lane was only being "friendly" with the prince.

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix_u.htm

Well, here's a follow-up tidbit about the above claim

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/14478178.htm
Philadelphia Daily News
Posted on Tue, May. 02, 2006

Alycia angry about allegations

Don't go calling CBS 3 anchor Alycia Lane the next princess of Monaco just yet. The married Lane says the New York Post's Page Six report yesterday about her getting too close for comfort with Prince Albert at a recent party in Monaco was "nonsense."

Page Six said it obtained photos of the pair dancing in which Lane is seen "head to head with Albert, her arms cozily wrapped around the royal." Lane told us the pics were "innocent and fun. Absolutely nothing inappropriate about them or the party."

Lane also says Albert's party was aboard his yacht, not at his palace, as Page Six reported.

She was in Monaco to interview Albert on the 50th anniversary of the wedding of his late parents, East Falls native Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier.

Wow, I know this story may not even be true but sometimes it seems like he "romances" every woman he comes into contact with! :eek: :rolleyes:

Casey321 said:
Wow, I know this story may not even be true but sometimes it seems like he "romances" every woman he comes into contact with! :eek: :rolleyes:

Well, perhaps sometimes they may romance him. Here's another tidbit about Ms. Lane. This is an article from a Philadelphian blogger who apparently thinks Ms. Lane uses her reporter position to catch guys. This blog was written before the Prince Albert's interview. He was describbing the "Hotties of Philly Local News." Just one person's opinion.

http://theilladelph.blogspot.com/2006/03/hotties-of-philly-local-news-10.html

TheIlladelph
Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Alycia Lanehttp://cbs3.com/bios/local_bio_253121749.html

Widely regarded as the favorite, Alycia would be a lock if it weren’t for her attitude. Like every other hot girl we know, Alycia can come across a little bitchy. We don’t necessarily blame her (it’s good that she knows what she’s working with), however, it does handicap her here a bit.

CBS3 poached her from Miami in a blatent attempt to improve the station's horrid ratings via aesthetics. Larry Mendte once called her on it. While it kind of bothers her to be seen as just a pretty face, in the end, Alycia has embraced it. The broad’s a pro… and in more ways than one. Before she met her current hubby, she was whoring herself out to anyone who'd bite. She appeared on WIP, seeking dates with Angelo Cataldi’s listeners. Not desperate enough for you? She upped the ante and asked Stu Bykofsky to print her measurements in his column. And then, of course, there were the infamous cry sessions with Dr. Phil (1, 2, 3) during May sweeps. I don’t know about bringing her home to meet the folks, but you have to respect a girl for putting herself out there.

Oh, and give the girl a frickin' Peabody already. If this isn’t “Excellence in Broadcast Journalism,” we don’t know what is.

For some reason, after reading about the gossip of Albert's alleged flirting with married journalist Alycia Lane, I couldn't help but think about Alicia Warlick, the athlete he was rumored to have been engaged to marry. Even if they weren't engaged, she still dated him for at least two years, which must have been unpleasant if not heartbreaking with her knowing that her boyfriend was unfaithful even allegedly discussing whether he should marry her while he was having weekend sex with NC. Now he's dating CW who is cut from the same cloth of most of the women he's dated before but had no intention of marrying. His behavior toward women is very disappointing.

Hello to everybody! :) I have not been on Royal forums for about one-two weeks and just this morning decided to check the last news. This night I had a strange dream about Albert and thought that there should be some news about him. Alas, nothing...But who knows what's happening in the head of the "Lonely Cowboy" last weeks ;) I see interesting dreams about different people and places, known and unknown and try to remember all the details. From time to time (very rarely) Royals are involved there too: a few times Denmark, Spain, Holland and twice Monaco...
Well, I want to tell about the last one and will try to be brief.
This night I saw Albert, Charline, Maxima&WA and Mary without Fred...dribs and drabs, I would say...many dreams for the one night...
Above all, I was immensely (and pleasantly) surprised to see the same dresses on Maxima and Mary like they had on the weekend's events. Within some days I was out of the computer and did not know about them...By the way, I cannot understand why Queen and Fred were absent? What's up with them?
Another part of my dream was about Albert. New place, big building with long gloomy corridors and a lot of people...I don't want to tell about Charlene, she was somewhere there, in turquoise-blue, not close by him, but behind the door...nothing special...As to Albert, we chatted and it took quite long time, but here I will tell about two last minutes. He was embarrased, a little sad and noticeably into confusion. -"You know, - he said - I am afraid, I have to marry now. If you could know how it's difficult, but I must! I dread to made the wrong step, but I feel that time of decision-making is coming" -"Is it so necessary? - I asked - I mean to do it right now?". -"Everything is ready. Too many people are already involved. I feel myself driven into a corner. It's like a burden...pressure...I must". When I say that if he stops his choice to Charlene he will face with more problems than he has now. -"Just imagine, how much work is waiting: dozen of studies for her like language, world history, culture, art, etiquette etc. etc. etc. May be for a start you should send her to Oxford, Garvard, Sorbonne or somewhere else? Don't forget, all eyes will be on her. Just imagine!" - I laugh, see that he is trying to disappear in the crowd in annoyance with my words...Just a mere night dream, but looking so real :p

Last edited:
Well, I must say, that after taking a look at the videos, I am not surprised at the rumours. I'm not used to American journalists, so maybe I see things differently, but IMO she was definetely coming on to PA. She was flirting with him like a little schoolgirl and also the other bits about MC were like a schoolgirl being in awe. Really not very professional IMO and I am not surprised that people in other parts of the world have such a distorted view of MC.
It also makes me wonder whether PA ever gets a chance to talk normal to a woman, when even those who are supposed to be reasonably smart act this way. When she did her courtesy bit in her flirty way, he was definetely embarrased and somehow I got the feeling that during the interview he was trying to figure out how to respond to her attitude. He was definetely not at his ease (I know he hardly ever is, but I have seen some interviews during last July, when he was interviewed by serious male journalists, that he seemed to feel much more at ease with, except wen they came up with touchy questions - maybe because hecould be sure that they weren't flirting ;)?).

paca said:
Well, I must say, that after taking a look at the videos, I am not surprised at the rumours. I'm not used to American journalists, so maybe I see things differently, but IMO she was definetely coming on to PA. She was flirting with him like a little schoolgirl and also the other bits about MC were like a schoolgirl being in awe. Really not very professional IMO and I am not surprised that people in other parts of the world have such a distorted view of MC.
It also makes me wonder whether PA ever gets a chance to talk normal to a woman, when even those who are supposed to be reasonably smart act this way. When she did her courtesy bit in her flirty way, he was definetely embarrased and somehow I got the feeling that during the interview he was trying to figure out how to respond to her attitude. He was definetely not at his ease (I know he hardly ever is, but I have seen some interviews during last July, when he was interviewed by serious male journalists, that he seemed to feel much more at ease with, except wen they came up with touchy questions - maybe because hecould be sure that they weren't flirting ;)?).

The highlighted statement really underlines the whole issue. While I understand that men and women communicate differently, in professional situations, everyone needs to maintain some distance. The reporter in question has had some allegations made against her regarding her professionalism; her behaviour in these videos seems to cross the line. We all keep blaming Albert for the women he dates but it seems that, like most men, he takes advantage of situations that present themselves because of his situation in life. I'm not saying that he is excused from using better judgment; however, all parties involved need to be held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom