Worst Royal Jewels 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, you Vikings have a wicked sense of humour!:lol: Danish, is it? I want a photo of "our Mary" wearing it and keeping a straight face. :ROFLMAO:
I mean no offence, but that really is over the top! It's so bizarre I totally love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like something you would see at Mardi Gras. UGH.

Don't worry, only some of the tiaras in the picture galery are royal, and the one you posted isn't. The pics are from an exibition last year which combined some royal tiaras with pieces by contemporary designers. When Mary borrowed one of the tiaras to wear it at Prince Henrik's birthday gala last year, she showed that she had excellant taste and chose the midnight tiara.

The most tiaras I like but some are not nice. Maxima got one before she married Alexander, but I have never seen it again.

Oh dear--that is genuinely hideous. I mean, it's seriously ugly. However, I am just wondering if it was some kind of gift from one of the Middle Eastern countries--the earrings, the dress, it all kinda comes together. If it was a gift and she was wearing as the recepient in the country, then even though it is visually unappealing, I can let it go and appreciate the tribute to the country--

Agree, agree. It make sense... my thoughts are going to India when I see the dress, but Im probably wrong :) other option: bad stylist day :)

It's very odd. Are they possibly seals? Whatever they are, the question remains: why? :shock:

Oh dear--that is genuinely hideous. I mean, it's seriously ugly. However, I am just wondering if it was some kind of gift from one of the Middle Eastern countries--the earrings, the dress, it all kinda comes together. If it was a gift and she was wearing as the recepient in the country, then even though it is visually unappealing, I can let it go and appreciate the tribute to the country--

The jewels look nothing like what's worn in the Middle East or the Indian sub-continent (the necklace in particular, I can't see the earrings very well). Gifts from Arab royal and ruling houses tend to be splendid, not tasteless.
Queen Fabiola's necklace looks like a charm necklace to me and I fail to see which country it is supposed to be alluding to. It is an unattractive piece though.

Last edited:
I ve just finished reading this thread and I was impressed! there are some very ugly jewels out there! :eek: I particularly noticed Queen Sonja's "futuristic" set and really, the best use it could have IMO is to sell it and use the money to buy a pair of earrings from the emerald tiara , so it could be restored to its previous glory. When it comes to Madeleine's bandeau , I don't think it is ugly, basically because it so utterly simple that it cannot have an ugly element on it. I generally believe that bandeaus are jewels with a "strong personality" let's say - they were usually made to suit the individual for which they were originally intended. And I believe that when Louise wore it in her youth it was something great on her. Now it is just a very nice aquamarine in a dull frame.

Hi. This is my first post, so please bear with me, and let me know if I haven't followed protocol or something.

I'd just like to discuss this alluring little contribution to Anglo-Aussie relations:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110939&d=1110972771
(photo sourced from the first Worst Jewels thread Sorry, I can't recall the poster).

Three things:
- I feel the need to point out that the necklace and earrings set was South Australia's idea, and was presented to the Queen long before I was born!:innocent:

-I remember reading about it as a kid. It is the biggest opal ever to be set in personal jewellery, or some such dubious honor.:rolleyes:

-Part of me wants Zara Phillips or one of Prince Andrew's girls to get access to it. They seem game enough to wear it on a dare. Which is the only reason - outside of diplomatic obligation - that anyone would ever wear it!:p

My other favourite would have to be the Star Wars tiara. It is so futuristic, yet so dated! And ugly, obvs.

The Queen only wore that set one time and that was after she was presented the set on her tour, it's never had a public airing since. I think Her Majesty felt the same way we do. ;)

However, I have always found this one to look odd:
Emerald & Diamond tiara from Westphalian noble family pictures from history photos on webshots
it appears to be two tiaras with one plunked down atop the other. The bottom one with the emerald is actually quite nice (I rather like the Greek Key design)

I know you posted this quite a while ago but it seems they sold it via sothebys, and for quite a pretty penny too!:flowers:

Sotheby's - Auctions - Calendar - Noble Jewels

Okay, I thilnk I've just found a couple of EIIR nightmares..Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion What the hell were they thinking?
And this.. words fail me. I thought the Queen Mum had taste? Maybe it was George who picked it out.. Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion
I agree, both of these are pretty hideous pieces!

... It is an aquamarine & diamond necklace presented to Queen Elizabeth II on her coronation by the Brazilian government.
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion
I have to disagee, I think the acquamarine neckalce works for somebody with the "presence" of HM. I think the acquamarine tiara is pretty dreadful and needs to be reworked.

@Thomas "...So vive la differance!!! (No doubt I misspelled that too, my French being even more shot than my English) cheeers."

I have a pair of padparacha earrings and I get more compliments on those than any of my others. Do you think these people are being insincere???

The Cameo tiara would be perfect for Elizabeth Taylor in one of her movies,but not the best choice for a real princess,in my opinion :doh:

Well, not every princess wants to look like Snow White. The Cameo is gorgeous, but I will agree, not to everyone's taste. I'd wear it in a New York minute!

I will agree that the Cameo Tiara is not to everyone's taste. But imho, it is a thing of beauty with it's incredible workmanship and artistry. True, it doesn't "sparkle" but I love it's elegance and yes, it's simplicity. If it were offered, I would also wear it... toot sweet!

Sorry guys but the thread topic is broad enough without introducing non-royal jewellery.
Posts not discussing 'worst royal jewels' have been removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Indeed they are, jonc93! I am not too fond of her 'purse' either... But that is another thread. lol

Well I never thought I would say such a thing but I think if I had a choice I would choose the poppy tiara before I would choose the champagne cork bracelet. Hideous is too good a word for it. :whistling:

Well I never thought I would say such a thing but I think if I had a choice I would choose the poppy tiara before I would choose the champagne cork bracelet. Hideous is too good a word for it. :whistling:
Yea, those bracelets are pretty ugly. But I'm sure they weren't meant to be serious jewellery, but rather a party gimmick, something to go with the Rock'n Roll theme (if I remember correctly) of the rose ball. I'm sure we won't see them again.
As for the poppies; they might pop up again any time. :ohmy: Now, that's a scary thought for me!

Those bracelets are hideous!!!

Really? I didn't think there was anything worse than those poppies! When Margrethe dies I hope they'll auction it! They'll prob get a lot of money for them b/c it was on the head of a queen, and a popular one too! And with that money buy another tiara!!!!!!! Please someone forward this to Frederik's Private Secretary!

:previous: Hey, I love the Poppies! They are individual and unique and Queen Margethe wears them with Chutzpah! :D

:previous: Hey, I love the Poppies! They are individual and unique and Queen Margethe wears them with Chutzpah! :D

0_0 Are you being serious? Every time I see a picture of those things I barf! It seems like whoever made them was on LSD!!

Back
Top Bottom