The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

Marengo you are, of course, right. I was too hasty--there are some whoppers in the British Royal collection, mainly the Burmese ruby tiara. UGH. The design is pretty on paper, as shown in Munn's opus, and even upclose the piece is nice--but it doesn't wear well. Pity--its a waste of rubies. My other least favorite is the Westminster Pearl Tiara. Doesn't work the way it is. And, as we have discussed, the Brazilian Aquamarine tiara, well, it is simply hideous.
My favorite Dutch tiara is the Bandeau tiara with its wonderfully graduated diamonds arranged simply, yet perfectly and beautifully on a nice frame. I love it. But, then again, I also liked Maxima's wedding tiara (the one with the stars) I know a lot of you hate it, but I like a little touch of whimsey every now and again. But, I do love Maxima, she looks to have stars in her eyes when she smiles. She's a lovely crown princess.
It doesn't hurt that she looks spectacular in most of those jewels.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I think the burmese ruby tiara would look much better if the redesign the flower (or what it is) motiv on the left and right side of the central ruby.

I think the dutch have not only ugly tiaras. The Württembergi dianmond and pearl tiara is wonderfull in the full setting with upright pearl-spikes but unfortunately Beatrix never wears it this way. Also the pavlovnik pearl-spike tiara and the pearl-button tiara are beautiful. The small diamond tiara which Beatrix often wears is also nice and the emerald-tiara in the setting as last worn by Máxima is also much better than before.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Royal Highness

Let's look at some Dutch pieces, because I have to tell you, I'm going to eat my words. They have some lovely pieces, some that are bulky, some I don't like, but there are several that I just love!

This pearl tiara? Antique Pearl Tiara it is versitile--but I think the pearls are touch too big for the piece, but is is a nice piece-it wouldn't belong here.

Queen Emma's diamond tiara: Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara I like it in its current form--and you can interchange some of the diamonds to rubies. I do love versitility.

I love the Laurel Wreath tiara: Laurel Wreath Tiara it is just beautiful--right up there with the bandeau, in my opinion.

Wurtttenberg Pearl Tiara: Wurttemberg Pearl Tiara
I'm not sure how I feel about it--but it has come a long way. It appearst to be a versitile piece--and has a lot of history. It probably wouldn't belong here.

I LOVE the diamond stars tiara, I really do. I know some hate it, but I think it is a charming piece:
Diamond Stars Tiara

Now, I don't really like the sapphire tiara--it looks painful and the design doesn't work for me, personally.
Wedding Gift Parure

this one is better but I don't love it:
Sapphire Parure

Love emeralds, love this set:
Sapphire Parure

Don't like the tiara, love the brooch:
Ruby Peacock Parure

So, it appears that I was dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. The Dutch do have a lot of older style tiaras, but they have some beautiful ones as well. I love this Dutch Jewels Site--it is amazing--the history of the pieces is there, and it is so very informative. I've bookmarked it.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Royal Highness

So, I was thinking--about ruby tiaras. Specifically these two.
The Burmese Ruby Tiara
The Mellerino Ruby Tiara
There has been considerable discussion devoted to the two and their places on this forum, the best forum in Cyberspace--the Worst Royal Jewels thread.
Which one is the WORST??? I'm going to throw my opinion out there--
I've been pretty vocal about my dislike of both pieces---but I think that the worst one is the Burmese Ruby tiara. The design just falls flat--it looks good on paper, and close up it is very nice. But, the Mellerino Ruby tiara--well, it has potential. I love the stones, etc... and I think if I had to choose a ruby tiara it would have to be the Mellerino piece. It doesn't look like a fireworks display.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Courtier

There are some ugly pieces in the Dutch collection (or, more correctly, strange-looking). However, I think that the Danish collection is actually the most disappointing. The gold flower thing not included, I think that the overall quality of the workmanship is somewhat lacking; the pieces all look sort of rough. Especially that ugly chunky emerald parure.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:21 AM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

I have to honestly say that the piece I've seen that I find the most hideous is the Maria Pavlona of Sweden Tiara this one. I don't know what became of it, but I sure hope someone made something more royal out of it! To me, it looks like something you would give a beauty queen (and a cheap one) for a contest win!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

Danish Crown Jewels - Emeralds | Emerald Parure / Kronjuwelen von Daenmark | Smaragd Parure lacking in workmanship?? I know there is no accounting for taste but I disagree about your estimation of the workmanship.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Good Heavens, what on earth are you people thinking. There is the magnificent pearl tiara, the glorious floral tiara with that gorgeous necklance of immense diamonds, the incredible ruby parure of CP Mary and then this magnificent emerald ensemble. There are also a number of other wonderful trinkets, it is true that some of the goodies are basically rotten apples but that is true of virtually every collection worthy of the name. Admittedly the poppy space queen horror show is in a class all its own. Nothing really equals or surpasses it although there are horrors aplenty to give it a run for the money. But that is like the old maid and demented aunt with a hunch back and bad breath and even worse mannners whom one keeps hidden away in the attic. But bad workmanship??? Not a chance. Cheers.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

That Danish emerald parue--I think the picture of it alone just does not do it justice. The second link shows it being worn and I really like it--it reminds me of Princess Mary's.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Royal Highness

The picture of the parue by itself have a yellow tint to them--making it look a bit garish and well, cheap. But, on, it has this lacy platinum/white gold set with diamonds and emeralds composition that is simply beautiful! The photo of it by itself does not do it justice at all.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness

Well, if no one else wants the Danish emerald parure, I'll happily take it anytime!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Courtier

I can't figure out what the danish emerald parure is doing on a thread called "Worst Royal Jewels". To me this parure is incredible beautifull
Old 04-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Courtier

I could not agree with you more. The only reason I can think of is that we have yet another opportunity to drool and pant over such a marvelous concoction. of course there are no pictures that can do justice to any jewels of this quality.

BTW all of you who have disparaged the Burma ruby tiara need to go to picture of QEII at the banquet with President Sarkozy. The contraption is simply incredible. Unfortunately, being the computer mongoloid I do not know how to quote that citation here. But the whole ensemble is magnificent beyond words. I was sitting there drooling and eating every negative word I have ever said about it. I sat there thinking, well the Noble Warren has struck again.

You know good people, we really should form a Warren admiration society and send him lots of chocolate so that we can ruin and corrupt him. He does have a way of digging up the most wondrous goodies. And probably has the most gigantic storage barns in Australia for all the goodies he keeps hidden away. cheeers.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Royal Highness

Thomas, here is the link to the post Warren made with the photo--
Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: November 2007-

Now, I have to take a moment and comment about the Burmese. I think that there are times when the piece looks darn good--but more often than not, I find it unattractive. Not the stones, never the stones! But, the composition of the piece. It is supposed to be a rose in full bloom but it looks somewhat "flat" to me. I also think that the "swirls" or whatever look they have stuff shooting up from it--I've heard it described as antenna--and I agree. All in all, the piece just doesn't have any form--and by form I mean movement or continuity. It's just stones on a frame. The IDEA of the piece was beautiful, the drawing that the jewelers did before they actually made the piece is stunning--but the final piece just falls flat. I can only hope that the Hyderabad tiara wasn't sacrificed for this thing. I think it is just one of those pieces you have to see to appreciate.
In this pic, it looks nice:
Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: November 2007-

Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Hmm.. I don't think the Burmese belongs in here. It's not a spectacular piece of jewellery, and certainly pales in comparison to the Vladimir (probably my favourite) for example. Then again, pretty much anything pales in comparison.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Royal Highness

The Vladimir is my favorite as well--with the emeralds. A stunning piece of workmanship--and yes, anything would pale in comparison. But, like you Princeof Canada, I do think the Burmese does not belong here--it won't make the favorites thread because of the design (well, maybe it would, but not a post of mine!) but it certainly isn't the worse of the worse. Those honors go to the Golden Poppies and the Brazillian Aquamarine nightmare. Although you can't see me, I just want everyone to know I just shuddered thinking about the two pieces.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilla View Post
I can't figure out what the danish emerald parure is doing on a thread called "Worst Royal Jewels". To me this parure is incredible beautifull
It's one of the loveliest parure's left in royal Europe...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Royal Highness

I completely agree. It looks heavy by itself but on it looks very delicate and graceful. It reminds me of CP Mary's ruby parue--are they by the same maker perchance?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I completely agree. It looks heavy by itself but on it looks very delicate and graceful. It reminds me of CP Mary's ruby parue--are they by the same maker perchance?
Don't think so. They ruby parure was made early in the 19th century in France as it was bought by Jean Baptiste Nernadotte for his wife Desiree to wear it at the coronation of Napoleon I. in 1804. Amd accoding to Bjarne's book on the danish Royal Jewels there was no tiara at all, only a few hair combs. The emerald parure was made in 1840 by C.M. Weisshaupt & Sons.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Again the design of the aquamarine tiara of QEII is the problem. The gemstones themselves are magnificent. I think the earlier version of it was certainly more attractive. Whoever did the current one must have been drunk when he did it. The two worst are the Wurtemburg horror and the Poppies gone beserk "tiara" of QMII which for the sheer ugliness of it is in a class almost by itself. But the cough drop thingie of QSonaya certainly gives it a run for the money. Perhaps, for sheer silliness, the nine most frequent contributors to this thread should each submit a picture of him or herself wearing one of the poppies in the hair, on the nose, as a tie pin or a brooch just to see something that you would give anything to forget but cannot.

My favorites, since we are insisting on dragging everything into a jewel besotted mud here is the Fife and the Bagration tiaras. Fabulous beyond words. Cheers.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels