The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 PM
Royal Highness

Did someone say "aquamarines"???
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

Thomas, I wasn't sure which aquamarine's you were referring to--but when I see "Worst Jewels" and "aquamarines" together, well, I think of this UGLY tiara. Maybe some people think its lovely, but I find it perfectly appropraite to the thread. I'm sure its been here before, but its so ugly that it deserves a second appearance!

Cat, cat, Cat--I have blond moment ALL the time--and I'm a brunette! I love that you found such a hideous piece of jewellery--and I love that the piece was reworked to show its beauty. I find the parue one of the prettiest I've seen. It's so delicate!

Thomas, beautiful, beautiful and absolutely CORRECT summation of the Luxembourg piece--it IS an art deco blob. I mean, really, when I saw that pic my face screwed up like I licked a lemon and I shuddered. Literally--it just looks wrong--whether as a tiara or a necklace. I think the sides (open squares set with diamonds) can be worn as brooches, but they're so large and empty in the middle that they would seem incomplete. That piece needs to be disassembled, reworked, and well, I don't know what they could do. It's so ugly I can't even imagine it in another form.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Courtier

Dear Jcbcode99,

I was refering to Lady Cat's post no. 20 further up the page. The aquamarines are lovely stones but the design of the contraption is god-awful. An abomination. How the good woman could have consented to put such a thing on her perfectly dignified head is beyond my understanding. As for the QEII contraption, it too needs to be taken apart and redone. She needs to fire or rather behead the jeweler that constructed the positively revolting abomination. Cheers

Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Royal Highness

It is ugly--the stones themselves are gorgeous--but those fan shaped details and the way the stones are set--really just a flop (to quote our dear friend Thomas!)---I DO wish we could see the Marie Feodorovna sapphire tiara soon (perhaps on Camilla at the next tiara event, or on HM herself--but she'll likely be in the Girls of Great Britain---sigh)
BUT, I was on the Royal Jewels of the World website and one of the posters, Lorenzo, posted this photo of an aquamarine tiara in the Spanish Royal Family--

"Parures du pouvoir - Joyaux des Cours européennes", catalogue of the exhibition held in Brussels.

Here is the link--you can click on the piece to see it up close--
THIS is how an aquamarine tiara should be done.
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Nobility

Question

I might be mistaken but it appears the aquamarines used in this tiara are the same stones as the ones in the awful Spanish tiara I posted earlier (Post 20 in this thread I believe). It appears the RF agreed with our assessment of the other tiara and found someone to create a better setting for those gorgeous stones!

Cat
Old 02-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Royal Highness

LadyCat--by George, I think you're right! What luck we've had this week--we've found two horrendously unattractive tiaras (the aquamarine and the sapphire) and as luck would have it we've also found the much improved and remodeled tiaras! I have to say I do love the new version of the aquamarine tiara--those aquamarines are really beautiful--and I really like the circle tiaras like these.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Yes it is them same and unfortunately this tiara has left the spanish Royal family. The orignal belonged to Queen Victoria eugenie who left it to her daughter Beatriz, married to Prince Alexxandro Torlonia. She changed the design of the tiara and wore it a few times. her daughter Olimpia Weiller (mother of Princess Sibilla ofLluxemburg) whore it at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Courtier

I wonder where the thing went. The revised version is a marvel. I would have done more with the base but the idea of a series of circles, an extremely and jusitifiably popular idea, for the aquamarines is wonderful. And the improved Lacronski tiara is a marvel to behold. As I say these gems are not bad, the designs to which they can be put can all too often be just horrendus. the supreme examble being the gelatin cough drop tiara of Sonja and the Poppy Outer Space Ghastliness of the esteemed Margerethe II. But yes, you have hit pay dirt twice and contributed to the few and feeble rays of happiness in my life this past week. Cheers.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 AM
Royal Highness

I'm not sure what Aquamarine tiara of QEII we're talking about. My (work) computer blocks personal photo storage websites. Is it the one from her Aquamarine parure? That was made from stones given to her by Brazil (because that's where they were mined) for her coronation and the other aquamarines in the parure were gifts over the years from Brazil as well. Or are we talking about the Aquamarine tiara QEII gave to Anne, the Princess Royal, because that is one fugly tiara! Although, if Autumn Kelly wears it for her wedding to Peter Phillips as her something borrowed/blue, I think there's a slim chance of it looking decent.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Nobility

I don't like that one: http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...neflowerTi.jpg

I saw it on Princess Anne
Old 02-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
I agree, it's kind of weird. It actually doesn't look like a tiara to me. The 4 sort-of-leaf on the side seem wrong to me : reminds me of Caesar's wreath crown

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Royal Highness

The specific tiara we're discussing is the Brazillian tiara of QEII--but the pinecone flower tiara (the fugly one) has been receiving some intense discussion in the Princess Anne jewels thread. I, personally, don't care for either. The one of QEII's is weird looking and dated. The stones are nice, though. The one of Princess Anne's looks odd--something's not quite right with it's proportion. For Miss Kelly, I'm hoping for the festoon tiara on the wedding day.

The Truth--it totaly looks like the Roman laurel wreath---I think in its original form it looked better--but it still looks unsymmetrical because the two aquamarine's on either side of the central pinecone element were taller than the pinecone itself. (pulling photos from Princess Anne jewelery thread--courtesty of Andrew's photobucket)
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...cs/149tpvt.jpg

The newly worked version has too much space between the elements--
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...neflowerTi.jpg

and, a special treat, the removed elements were recycled into a pendant and a brooch
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...cs/6jyu5pf.jpg

So, in all honesty, I don't know about this tiara. I prefer the original version, but those aquamarines on either side of the central pinecone are too tall. It hurts the symmetry of the piece.

I do think it belongs in this thread, though.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes it is them same and unfortunately this tiara has left the spanish Royal family. The orignal belonged to Queen Victoria eugenie who left it to her daughter Beatriz, married to Prince Alexxandro Torlonia. She changed the design of the tiara and wore it a few times. her daughter Olimpia Weiller (mother of Princess Sibilla ofLluxemburg) whore it at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary.
Ursula's site has some great info on this piece (and others in the Spanish Royal Familyl)
Aquamarine Tiara | Aguamarinas Diademe |Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain (ugly setting, nice stones--I actually like the bracelet and the brooch)

Aquamarin Diadem | Aguamarinas Diademe |Aqamarine Parure of Queen Ena of Spain another picture from Ursuala--this time with photos of both versions--

Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Good Heavens, the Spainish monarchy has had just about as wild a time of it as the Greek monarchy. Thank you JCB for digging up these goodies. Some of the things are marvels and some are less, a lot less to tell the truth, than marvels. But one can say with the Spainish royal family there cetainly seems to be never a dull moment. And the ladies do get to bedeck themselves with all the goodies, good, bad and indifferent. Cheers.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Royal Highness

Crownprincess Margareta`s Necklace

Old 02-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
I rather like the necklace. It looks very Art Deco to me, with its geometric lines and scarabs, but it was made far too early for it to be so classified.

I think it would look far better worn with no jewellery other than a simple tiara, and with a gown cut in a simple style, something like this: http://www.costumes.org/travel/usitt2001/3/Mvc-019f.jpg
but in pale green or cream silk so the coloured stones stand out, and on a far younger neck.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Royal Highness

It looks like s child's necklace. I think it's the pearls that give it that impression - they need to be bigger. But it definately belongs around a much younger neck (although I don't think it's suited for either Swedish princess.). Maybe it's time has come! Break it up!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Too bad that Princess Lillian doesn't wear it very well. The story behind the necklace sounds rather romantic.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Too bad that Princess Lillian doesn't wear it very well. The story behind the necklace sounds rather romantic.
It really is a romantic story, isn't it? I love the story behind it---but the necklace itself--it doesn't drape properly on Princess Lillian--and it isn't terribly flattering to her neck at all. I agree that perhaps the time has come to break the thing up. A nice necklace, bracelets, etc....

What does everything think about the tiara she's wearing? I like it, but I don't like it, if that makes sense. It looks odd, there's too much space between the tiers--but it is better than the aquamarine horror of QEII.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Nobility

Don't like the necklace, not crazy about the tiara. Perhaps the two pieces should be used to create one new piece? A tiara perhaps? Maybe the gems from the necklace could be used to fill in the empty space between the tiers of the tiara and the pearls could be made into a five (or ten) strand choker? I don't know!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
The tiara isn't too bad. I could better judge it on a dark haired beauty like Crown Princess Victoria.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels