The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

I also love Rubies, as well as Emeralds, and Saphires, Diamonds, Amethysts and Pearls! I think Marie's ring wouldn't be so bad if the stones were smaller () and the band narrower. But I whole-heartedly second passing QMII's poppy monstrosity off on Marie as a wedding gift!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What has poor Marie done to deserve such malice?

Come on, give the girl a break -- they're "in luv."

Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Well, the malice is directed towards the ring, not to Marie herself luckily.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Courtier

Good heavens, a mini-tiff among the moderators. I am chorteling with glee, although I shall now arouse the wrath of SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED. I just wish you had shown a beautiful blue sapphire, Oh, most Noble Elspeth. I prefer that to both. I have seen pictures of padpardscha sapphires that are considerably more gaudy than the example you have posted.

I do not think any photographs do justice to gemstones of this level and quality. I do think a tiara of padaradscha sapphires would certainly be interesting. Someone has posted somewhere a picture of a tiara of pink sapphires, I believe. I myself do not care very much for pink topaz, but it really depends on the individual stone. Which is one of the things which make these threads and discussions so interesting. So vive la differance!!! (No doubt I misspelled that too, my French being even more shot than my English) cheeers.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Royal Highness

OK--our beloved Warren posted a link to a great site that has a link to a ruby star tiara--no, not the Wurtemmberg--but I thought it would be fun to compare the two and decide which one we like better, why, etc.....

Royal Jewels of the World

Other ruby star tiara, private collection
ING Arts - Photographs

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Royal Highness

I think the second ruby star tiara is better. I think it's because the stars seem to be more in proportion to the rest of the piece.

Now, what do you think about changing some of the diamonds to sapphires, for the Americans and French among us? A patriotic tiara, appropriate for our national holidays.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Royal Highness

Ooooooo the second one is so pretty! I think you could change some of the rubies in the bottom part that aren't parts of stars into sapphires and it would be nice too.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Good heavens, a mini-tiff among the moderators. I am chorteling with glee, although I shall now arouse the wrath of SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED. I just wish you had shown a beautiful blue sapphire, Oh, most Noble Elspeth. I prefer that to both. I have seen pictures of padpardscha sapphires that are considerably more gaudy than the example you have posted.
Nope, you can keep your beautiful blue sapphires; I'll stick to my rubies. Mind you, given the difference in the cost of spphires and rubies, my husband was also rather wishing I'd gone for the sapphire ring, I can tell you. Who knew that red was so expensive?

Quote:
Someone has posted somewhere a picture of a tiara of pink sapphires, I believe. I myself do not care very much for pink topaz, but it really depends on the individual stone.
The Savoy pink topaz tiara, perhaps? The one Princess Clotilde wore at her wedding?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post278981
Old 10-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
The Savoy pink topaz tiara, perhaps? The one Princess Clotilde wore at her wedding?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post278981
Or the Bragation parure of the Dukes of Westminster...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness

I'm so jealous of the Grosvenor family. They have so many lovely tiaras, including the Bragation pieces.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Courtier

Well, Dear Elspeth, I knew the difference in price between sapphires and rubies. One is outrageous and the other is somewhere outthere beyond Betelgeuse. Of course one must admire your husband for marrying such a clever wife. I think the rubies in both the tiaras above are lovely and, major heresy I know, I think if they just removed those blasted stars and redesigned the Wurtemburg Star Tiara the thing would actually be quite lovely with the kind of antique charm of that era.

As for the Bragation tiara and comb, I go into absolute orbit and start foaming at the mouth, drooling and plotting about how to get into bank vaults. It too would be greatly imporved if the coloured stones in it were either rubies or blue sapphires. The design of the contraption is a masterpiece.

Where is the Noble Ms Lady K with her massive photoshopping genius when you need her??? I shall have to go calm myself down with large doses of cholcolate. Cheers.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

Well Thomas I may not be Lady K, and I'm certain she would do a better job, but I had to take a stab at it.

How about the Wurtemburg sans stars?

Also I tried it with sapphires instead of rubies.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Courtier

Wo nderful, wonderful. I think that you have massively improved the tiara, the rubies work superbly. It is now quite wearable without looking in the least bit ridiculous. As much as I love sapphires I must admit that the ruby version is much the stronger of the two. Thank you for your efforts. Now if we can just get somebody to carve up QEII's sapphire goodies and paste them in place of the spinels in the Bragation tiara that would be enough for me to have a spasm of total delight. Cheers.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Have no fear, Thomas- LadyK is here! (da-duh-da-da!)
I have posted pictures of the Bragation tiara with rubies and with sapphires in the photoshopping thread. I think the sapphires look better.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Courtier

You are entirely correct, Lady K, although the rubies work well too. It is interesting. The Wurtemburg sans stars works better with the rubies and the Bragation works better with sapphires. Let us prefer the both. If you will send any of them postage paid to me, I will be happy to wear them on my rounds about Columbia in search of chocolate ice cream on sale. Cheeers.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

No matter if this tiara is with stars Royal Jewels of the World or without them
How about the Wurtemburg sans stars?
because it looks terrible. Maybe if the (golden?) band wouldn't be so big and the frame would be bigger?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 PM
Royal Highness

I love the Wurtenburg without the stars--in fact, they should just be removed and the stars used as brooches or something, but this one ING Arts - Photographs
is lovely just the way it is!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Royal Highness

Oops she did it again! And by did it again, I mean that Queen Sonja wore that HORRID Xenia/Wonderwoman tiara again.
http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/7733...44BDEF2922E219

Once again, I am reminded:

Old 10-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, nothing can fix Sonja. That conglomeration with the cherry cough syrup in gelatin capsules tiara, earings and necklace with center pieces of Grade A, industrial strenght government surplus cough drops makes her look like the Viking eqivalent of the Goddess Hera on one of her bad days, you know, the smile, just as she is waiting for Zeus to come in from his latest bad body escapade and she is getting ready to let him have it with the Olympic frying pan.l

No, No, much as I adore and admire the Noble Lady K, I would agree that this is beyond even her genius. Sonja looks, with that smile like the Great Earth Goddess in the Center of the Earth who has just learned of the human sacrifice of 40 youths and 40 maidens or else she an ancient Queen of Norway who is watching the Royal Navy burn down and lay waste to the coasts of Ireland. Definately a must for the Worst Jewels Thread. And it is now a debate as to who has the Worst Tiara in our Hallowen Tiara Horror Party. MII or this??? Cheers.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Honestly..I'm getting used to this Tiara.
Every time I see it it grows more on me.
Of course (and I really cannot deny it) this Tiara is totally freaky and "Star Wars" like .. but IMO it absolutely matches Queen Sonja's UFO Collection.
SONJA'S UFO COLLECTION
It must be a special passion of the Queen .
As far as I know the Topaz Tiara is the only "golden" Tiara in the Norwegian collection...
I also have to say I like the Topaz Tiara better with the green stones then the red stones... it looks a little little bit better then.
Sonja doesn't wear this Tiara very often (she wore it in Germany together with a red dress to match the German flag; that is black-red-gold)...
well, but I think it would be quite rude of her not to wear it .. since it was a present by her hubby...

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels