The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Fabiolas necklage in this picture is kind of... hmmmm... strange. What is it? Rings in chains?
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h.../Fabiola24.jpg
uuuuu thatīs absolutely horrific!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Oh dear--that is genuinely hideous. I mean, it's seriously ugly. However, I am just wondering if it was some kind of gift from one of the Middle Eastern countries--the earrings, the dress, it all kinda comes together. If it was a gift and she was wearing as the recepient in the country, then even though it is visually unappealing, I can let it go and appreciate the tribute to the country--
The jewels look nothing like what's worn in the Middle East or the Indian sub-continent (the necklace in particular, I can't see the earrings very well). Gifts from Arab royal and ruling houses tend to be splendid, not tasteless.
Queen Fabiola's necklace looks like a charm necklace to me and I fail to see which country it is supposed to be alluding to. It is an unattractive piece though.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Courtier

I ve just finished reading this thread and I was impressed! there are some very ugly jewels out there! I particularly noticed Queen Sonja's "futuristic" set and really, the best use it could have IMO is to sell it and use the money to buy a pair of earrings from the emerald tiara , so it could be restored to its previous glory. When it comes to Madeleine's bandeau , I don't think it is ugly, basically because it so utterly simple that it cannot have an ugly element on it. I generally believe that bandeaus are jewels with a "strong personality" let's say - they were usually made to suit the individual for which they were originally intended. And I believe that when Louise wore it in her youth it was something great on her. Now it is just a very nice aquamarine in a dull frame.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM

Hi. This is my first post, so please bear with me, and let me know if I haven't followed protocol or something.

I'd just like to discuss this alluring little contribution to Anglo-Aussie relations:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1110972771
(photo sourced from the first Worst Jewels thread Sorry, I can't recall the poster).

Three things:
- I feel the need to point out that the necklace and earrings set was South Australia's idea, and was presented to the Queen long before I was born!

-I remember reading about it as a kid. It is the biggest opal ever to be set in personal jewellery, or some such dubious honor.

-Part of me wants Zara Phillips or one of Prince Andrew's girls to get access to it. They seem game enough to wear it on a dare. Which is the only reason - outside of diplomatic obligation - that anyone would ever wear it!

My other favourite would have to be the Star Wars tiara. It is so futuristic, yet so dated! And ugly, obvs.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

The Queen only wore that set one time and that was after she was presented the set on her tour, it's never had a public airing since. I think Her Majesty felt the same way we do.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post

However, I have always found this one to look odd:
Emerald & Diamond tiara from Westphalian noble family pictures from history photos on webshots
it appears to be two tiaras with one plunked down atop the other. The bottom one with the emerald is actually quite nice (I rather like the Greek Key design)
I know you posted this quite a while ago but it seems they sold it via sothebys, and for quite a pretty penny too!

Sotheby's - Auctions - Calendar - Noble Jewels
Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
Okay, I thilnk I've just found a couple of EIIR nightmares..Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion What the hell were they thinking?
And this.. words fail me. I thought the Queen Mum had taste? Maybe it was George who picked it out.. Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion
I agree, both of these are pretty hideous pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claypoint2 View Post
... It is an aquamarine & diamond necklace presented to Queen Elizabeth II on her coronation by the Brazilian government.
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion
I have to disagee, I think the acquamarine neckalce works for somebody with the "presence" of HM. I think the acquamarine tiara is pretty dreadful and needs to be reworked.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

@Thomas "...So vive la differance!!! (No doubt I misspelled that too, my French being even more shot than my English) cheeers."

I have a pair of padparacha earrings and I get more compliments on those than any of my others. Do you think these people are being insincere???
Old 08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
The Cameo tiara would be perfect for Elizabeth Taylor in one of her movies,but not the best choice for a real princess,in my opinion
Well, not every princess wants to look like Snow White. The Cameo is gorgeous, but I will agree, not to everyone's taste. I'd wear it in a New York minute!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I will agree that the Cameo Tiara is not to everyone's taste. But imho, it is a thing of beauty with it's incredible workmanship and artistry. True, it doesn't "sparkle" but I love it's elegance and yes, it's simplicity. If it were offered, I would also wear it... toot sweet!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Sorry guys but the thread topic is broad enough without introducing non-royal jewellery.
Posts not discussing 'worst royal jewels' have been removed.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator
Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Caroline's Champagne thingy bracelets, hideous!
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...rose-purse.jpg
Old 08-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Indeed they are, jonc93! I am not too fond of her 'purse' either... But that is another thread. lol
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Princess Caroline's Champagne thingy bracelets, hideous!
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...rose-purse.jpg
Yep, those were just plain weird.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Courtier

Well I never thought I would say such a thing but I think if I had a choice I would choose the poppy tiara before I would choose the champagne cork bracelet. Hideous is too good a word for it.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Well I never thought I would say such a thing but I think if I had a choice I would choose the poppy tiara before I would choose the champagne cork bracelet. Hideous is too good a word for it.
Yea, those bracelets are pretty ugly. But I'm sure they weren't meant to be serious jewellery, but rather a party gimmick, something to go with the Rock'n Roll theme (if I remember correctly) of the rose ball. I'm sure we won't see them again.
As for the poppies; they might pop up again any time. Now, that's a scary thought for me!
Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Royal Highness

Those bracelets are hideous!!!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Really? I didn't think there was anything worse than those poppies! When Margrethe dies I hope they'll auction it! They'll prob get a lot of money for them b/c it was on the head of a queen, and a popular one too! And with that money buy another tiara!!!!!!! Please someone forward this to Frederik's Private Secretary!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Hey, I love the Poppies! They are individual and unique and Queen Margethe wears them with Chutzpah!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Hey, I love the Poppies! They are individual and unique and Queen Margethe wears them with Chutzpah!
0_0 Are you being serious? Every time I see a picture of those things I barf! It seems like whoever made them was on LSD!!

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels