Worst Royal Jewels 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My not so favorite tiaras!

Ines of Bourbon-Two Sisilies received a coral tiara from her new husbands family on the occasion of their wedding....

This turquoise tiara is just awkward -if it wasn't so straight up and had a little of a design to it, I don't think I would post it.

The golden poppies of queen Margarethe is by far one of my least favorite tiaras!

Attachments

• image-3495694606.jpg
    image-3495694606.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,813
  • image-4070751350.jpg
    image-4070751350.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 522
  • image-31261865.jpg
    image-31261865.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 476
Any possibility that HM Margrethe will dazzle us with the poppies at the Dutch state visit?

I think the detail in the four button tiara is really beautiful but it has nothing else to it on the base or anywhere else so that's what make it look odd. If the buttons didn't stick out like a soar thumb then I think it would be ok.

The same for the six button tiara, the base is horrible and if it were set on a different frame I think it would be better looking.

Last edited:
That self-named "Court Jeweller" has no idea what he/she is talking about. The extermely versatile but stunningly beautiful diadem by Queen Fabiola is a classic ducal coronet. Almost any ducal family in Spain has one. The diamond fleurons can hold different coloured central gemstones. The same fleurons can be arranged into a floral wreath diadem or even a grand collier. This masterpiece of design and ingenious craftmanship does not belong in the top ten of "maddest tiaras" and in this thread with "Worst Royal Jewels". I can not taken that list au sérieux.

Picture: the diamond fleurons with aquamarines arranged as a floral wreath

Picture: the diamond fleurons with aquamarines arranged as in a coronet

Picture: three diamond fleurons mounted on a massive diamond collier

Picture: the late Duchess of Alba with a ducal coronet

Picture: the Duchess of Feria with a ducal coronet

Picture: a beautiful Spanish ducal coronet on auction

Picture: a ducal coronet diadem from the Hessen (grand)ducal family

:flowers:

Last edited:
Any possibility that HM Margrethe will dazzle us with the poppies at the Dutch state visit?

No, she will most likely wear the Orange-Nassau pearl poiré diadem as a honour to her Dutch guests. The pearl poiré diadem was made for Princess Louise of the Netherlands (born of Prussia). A same pearl poiré diadem was made for her sister-in-law Princess Marianne of Prussia (born of the Netherlands). This means that both sisters-in-law had the same stunning diamond diadem with hanging natural pear-shaped pearls, both wearing a dazzling fortune on their heads....

The pearl poiré diadem from Princess Louise of the Netherlands (born of Prussia) ended in the Danish royal collection. The pearl poiré diadem from Princess Marianne of Prussia (born of the Netherlands) probably ended in the House of Reuss. It would have been splendid when Queen Margrethe and Queen Máxima could sit together with two identical awesome diadems which once were made for two Dutch/Prussian Princesses....

I hope not those Golden Poppies look like part of a Halloween costume!

Hehe that would be this years most
Unwelcome surprise if she does ;)

Are the golden poppies considered a tiara? To me, they look like detached hair ornaments. They're hideous, in any case.

How did Queen Fabiola's beautiful Spanish tiara make this list and Queen Margrethe II's hideous golden poppies get off scot- free :D

I agree. I love Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara, but QM's golden poppies almost gives me nightmares!

Never been crazy about Philomena's turquoise bridal tiara.....

Last edited:
Queen Sonja's modern gold tiara is too horrible for words. Just awful. ?

Last edited:
Are the golden poppies considered a tiara? To me, they look like detached hair ornaments. They're hideous, in any case.

Queen Margrethe wears the golden poppies scattered over her hair. I have seen a photoshop with these poppies arranged in a wreath, which can stand beautifully agains the dark hair of Crown Princess Mary. The same poppies can look hideous on the one and very beautiful on the other.

Very interesting to have shown Queen Fabiolas diamond tiara as floral wreath and as a coronet. Never saw its base now ??

Well, I like the "atrocities" of the '70s. I especially like Queen Sonja's Modern Gold Tiara. I also like all the tiaras with colored stones. White diamonds are fine, but they, IMO, are quite predictable.

Very interesting to have shown Queen Fabiolas diamond tiara as floral wreath and as a coronet. Never saw its base now ??

When the diadem is worn in a coronet setting, the base with the pearl spikes is is visible.

For the other setting -as a floral wreath- most likely there is a second monture in the cassette. Most likely it is just a metal frame to hold the diamond fleurons.

It can be worn in a different arrangement, like a floral wreath diadem and then it looks waaay different. It can look stunning on the lush dark hair of Crown Princess Mary.

I just really dont like a yellow gold tiara or anything that is not encrusted with diamonds. Modern tiaras still need to have a classic appearance....to me of course!

I just really dont like a yellow gold tiara or anything that is not encrusted with diamonds. Modern tiaras still need to have a classic appearance....to me of course!

Usually a crown or a coronet is also in yellow gold, but then the design is more conventional, of course.

Here you see a golden coronet diadem which was auctioned in 2007 by Princess Maria Gabriella di Savoia and sold by the Mannheim Museum.

Provenance:

-1-
1830 Grand Duchess Stéphanie of Baden née Princess Napoléon formerly known as De Beauharnais

-2-
1860 Queen Carola of Saxony née Princess of Sweden

-3-
1907 Princess Marie of Belgium née Princess von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen

-4-
1912 Queen Elisabeth of Belgium née Duchess in Bavaria

-5-
1924 Queen Maria José of Italy, Princess di Savoia née Princess of Belgium

-6-
2001 Princess Maria Gabriella of Italy, Princess di Savoia

-7-
2007 Mannheim Museum

Last edited:
Queen Sonja's modern gold tiara is too horrible for words. Just awful. ?

And yet it's not even the worst golden tiara in the Norwegian royal family. The one Princess Astrid owns is much worse and looks like it's bought at the toy store for a 5 year old girl to play with.

Has CP Mary worn this tiara? I haven't been able to find a picture.

It can be worn in a different arrangement, like a floral wreath diadem and then it looks waaay different. It can look stunning on the lush dark hair of Crown Princess Mary.

And yet it's not even the worst golden tiara in the Norwegian royal family. The one Princess Astrid owns is much worse and looks like it's bought at the toy store for a 5 year old girl to play with.

To defend Princess Astrid: the two "antennas" are aigrettes designed to hold a feather. The Princess wears them without a feather and then it looks weird but on itself it are nice items of jewelry.

This is an aigrette worn without feathers.

A similar aigrette but now with a central monture when no feathers are worn.

A similar type of aigrette, with feathers.

An aigrette with feathers, as is intended.

Princess Irene with only the central prong of the diamonds-and-rubies "Peacock Parure" worn as an aigrette. A feather is missing to complete it.

Are they pictures of a norvegian royal with Princess Astrid's Antenne tiara +feathers?

Back
Top Bottom