The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Aristocracy

Patra...I am sorry....but I misunderstood your valid comment for a while....I am always a little slow off the mark! I do understand how frustrating it can be trying to fathom what people are talking about too....once again sorry!!!

Now don't be cross but Jcbc has asked about the yellow gold ruby necklace and I can not find a picture of it as yet! Oooops I made a mistake - it isn't rubies.....it's emeralds and I don't know why/how I had forgotten about the diamonds! Can't imagine why I thought the bead-like stones were red!?!?! Anyway I still loathe it......Here is a link:-

Queen elizabeth ii emerald necklace image by Bofferding on Photobucket

I always think this necklace looks like something from a nasty H Samuel/Ratner (uk) or Michael Hill (NZ) type high street jewelers - Those type of tat jewelry shops really make me cringe!
It looks awkward and untidy to me! I really like the idea of the knot and tassel motif but it just looks wrong and cheap and nasty to me in this effort at that concept - I just loathe it basically! The earrings are equally as 'wrong' too! Heavy on the lobes and ponderous! They remind me of those horrors QMII wears with her Gold Poppies monstrosity!!!!

I am under the impression that the dear little cabochon emeralds (The only redeeming features in this horrid set IMHO!) are either left overs from the Cambridge Emeralds or were they part of the sackful Queen Mary received during the trip over for the Durbar? Does anyone know their provenance - Warren perhaps?

Compared to the Queen's other Emerald jewels this lot are the pits for me....Goodness I do hope there isn't someone out there who really loves these pieces! Sorry if you do!

'I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.'
Old 11-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Heir Apparent

That would be me! As you can see from my avatar I absolutely adore it and the rest of the goodies that go with it!

Old 11-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Aristocracy

Sorry Marg....I love,love,love emeralds but just not in the setting in the necklace and earring!

I think the emeralds are wasted here! Love the tiara though!!!!!!!!!! Who wouldn't?

Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Royal Highness

Those emeralds are not part of the Cambridge emeralds--that necklace (I call it a "tassle" necklace is another of my least favorite pieces of HM. In fact, ALL of her Saudi tassle necklace gifts I strongly dislike. I think they look cheap, like something you would have seen on an episode of Dynasty or in a Miss America Pageant.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Ah, the classic "Maria Doria" look. Nothing like historical priceless jewels to bring out your sunglasses.
Sometimes you guys are over-critical without thinking things through or taking into account the context. At the Danish Royal wedding (F&M) the royal guests arrived in buses and walked in a sort of procession into the church. Spectacles with photogrey lenses turn a darker shade outdoors to protect sensitive eyes against glare. Princess Marina of Savoy is wearing either these lenses or lightly-tinted sunglasses so that she doesn't get glared out. Why would anyone have a problem with that?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

Warren I do take your point! I confess that when the tiara with sunglasses was brought up, I instantly recalled a vague memory of the picture in question and probably due to the amount of time that had passed since last laying eyes on it, the glasses seem to have metamorphosized in my mind's eye! This is a common phenomenon! As an example, lots of people are scared of spiders, and on occasion when one comes across one say in the bed and then later describes the said beastie to someone else, the describer will inevitably find themselves saying the spider was like a tarantula and the size of a dinner plate to boot, when in fact it was more likely the size of a regular 'huge' house spider....rationality tends to just go out the window when one is confronted by things by which one is shocked or of which was is scared! I hope this makes some sort of sense?

In my own defense, this is what happened with Maria Doria's glasses and tiara combo! Those grey tinted black framed spectacles had 'evolved' and become a pair of black tinted mafia a la Dame Edna Everage style sunnies in my mind's eye!I did concede that in one of my later replies - although maybe not quite clearly enough...sorry!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Connie, I think your memory of the photo of Maria Doria might have merged with this image in your mind's eye:

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...es-Posters.jpg
Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

Yes there we are thank you Roslyn.....Goodness my heart went a flutter for a moment

Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Royal Highness

Point well taken, Warren.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe I said something to that effect in my post #252, Warren. I am just not able to say things as well as you. I Do try however.... :)
Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Nobility

Maybe you already had an heart attac over this one, but here we go. Its Danish (and not golden poppies ) I never seen it on, but according to Billedbkadet its a royal tiara....

Billed-Bladet - Kongelige diademer
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh, you Vikings have a wicked sense of humour! Danish, is it? I want a photo of "our Mary" wearing it and keeping a straight face.
I mean no offence, but that really is over the top! It's so bizarre I totally love it!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Serene Highness

Looks like something you would see at Mardi Gras. UGH.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

Don't worry, only some of the tiaras in the picture galery are royal, and the one you posted isn't. The pics are from an exibition last year which combined some royal tiaras with pieces by contemporary designers. When Mary borrowed one of the tiaras to wear it at Prince Henrik's birthday gala last year, she showed that she had excellant taste and chose the midnight tiara.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Nobility

The most tiaras I like but some are not nice. Maxima got one before she married Alexander, but I have never seen it again.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Nobility

Fabiolas necklage in this picture is kind of... hmmmm... strange. What is it? Rings in chains?
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h.../Fabiola24.jpg
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

YIKES that's awful!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Royal Highness

Oh dear--that is genuinely hideous. I mean, it's seriously ugly. However, I am just wondering if it was some kind of gift from one of the Middle Eastern countries--the earrings, the dress, it all kinda comes together. If it was a gift and she was wearing as the recepient in the country, then even though it is visually unappealing, I can let it go and appreciate the tribute to the country--

Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Nobility

Agree, agree. It make sense... my thoughts are going to India when I see the dress, but Im probably wrong other option: bad stylist day
Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's very odd. Are they possibly seals? Whatever they are, the question remains: why?

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels