The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:08 AM
Gentry

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Here is another tiara that I dislike because of the base. Without the base in the first picture I think it is a beautiful tiara like in the second picture. (I believe this is Queen Fabiola's tiara)
I disagree, wholeheartedly (no offence)! With the base, it is a very attractive diadem when used properly. Without the base, in my eyes, your "flowers" look like they've wilted...and the central one being upside-down looks completely out of place, like they're just trying to fill in the gaps.

I don't know who to credit for this picture as I've had it for decades but I think Fabiola pulls it off very regally as a diadem, though I would have tilted forward just a bit!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...es/Fabiola.jpg

Old 04-10-2006, 04:17 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath
Actually, I think this is quite pretty. Delicate looking.
I agree with you - it IS very pretty but the way Alexandra wears it is pretty awful! She always wears it closed tightly like it's supposed to fit on a wedding cake. Here are two pics I have from a book by Reginald Davis on Royal Families of the World showing Queen Margrethe II wearing it rather more tasefully at the return banquet during her 1974 state visit to Britain.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rethe1974a.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rethe1974b.jpg

(Hope I'm not contravening any rules...?)

Old 04-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Gentry

What a "wonderful" thread - just so sorry I stumbled upon it so late. I have a few opinions on the following:

Sophie Wessex's wedding.....the ONLY thing I'd probably find attractive would be the garter, but we never got to see it... I thought she looked a bit "top heavy" - that's one of the worst tiaras I've ever seen; you can still make the Swedish buttons do something for you but hers you'd have to reassemble! Somebody mentioned it looks like antlers - I agree!!! She should be hunted down if ever she dons it again.

With all due respect to the Belgian people, I think a recreation of the map of Belgium would look better than that fortress-like Provincial tiara! (It reminds me of the wooden fence around Asterix's village...) And to make matters worse, I've seen the Queen wear it on more than one occasion where it looks like she's knocked it getting out of the car: the middle two "prongs" out of alignment/leaning slightly back.

Then Queen Sophia's tiara...don't even know how to describe it: it looks like cheese swirls, or better still, glorified Swedish buttons! (She wore it to Mary's wedding in Copenhagen.) It didn't look too bad on that occasion but usually it looks...I don't know, like shields on her head?

Then to The Netherlands; here's two examples of tiaras I'm sure we're happy are not worn in this fashion anymore:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...Wilhelmina.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...helmina001.jpg
Old 04-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
Wow! A grown-up newbie with a fantastic writing style and a sense of humour? That must be my day!
I have not meant welcome that much for a long time.

I like that one, remind me of a kokoshnik (my favourite design as far as tiara goes) and the style is elegant, IMO. Well I never cared for that girdling style (just to much holes for me), but on Camilla's overtly bouffant her do, this is positively an horrifying sight.
This one was property of HIM the Dowager Empress Maria and bought by Q Mary in the 1920's after Maries death. Could be worn with a Diamant, Cunzite, Emerald or Sapphire middel part.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Dear Members:

I think after viewing this thread, where the comic possibilities are enormous, the gaffes and atrocious taste mindboggling and the moments of beauty still inspiring in spite or or maybe because of it all, we should name this the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Some of those earlier pictures of Wilhelmina were not bad at all. In her day she was a lovely thing who then turned into Brunhilda. After the Nazis invaded Holland and she and the government fled the country-they had no choice-it was said she was the only man in the government. BTW Warren, when I said one in my earlier posting, I meant one tiara, each, for everybody. Now you could not possibly look worse than some of these royal personnages here. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Dear Warren,

and are here in the US of A fat as hogs and just about as ugly. We even have an epidemic of adult onset diabetes!!! They would murder a true blood aristocrat in a splendid parure. (Parurue, what is that???) As for music, you don't want to get me started on that one!!!

Same goes for monarchy in general. We now have all these ghastly republics. And yes all those monarchs were not plaster of paris saints, they were in all too many cases just plain dumb. But are things really any better now? I think not. So what is all this nonsense about royalty and jewelry and all those lovely tiaras really but a longing for a better world? A world where there would still be some elegance, some beauty, some colour, indeed a dash of pomp, circumstance and dignity? Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Quote:
the gaffes and atrocious taste mindboggling

WOW! :p :)

This fat ugly hog who happens to live in the US of A appreciates the past, but to suggest (just a hint of it) that it was a better time for all... pfft . I think not! Women more elegant? No, not by the least in my view. Ghastly republics! Um, whatever floats your boat.

I'm sure you mean well, but your posts make me question -- no -- rather wonder about your motivations. Please post more often, Thomas.:) I would sincerely love to read your opinions on various subjects.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
In her day she was a lovely thing who then turned into Brunhilda.
I wonder in which corner of the vaults they put her tiara with the big horns and the two blonde braids attached to it. It hasn't been seen for ages... :p

(Thanks, Thomas! I guess this image of Wilhemina and Brunhilda will start to haunt me for the rest of my life... for now it made my day...eh...night! )
Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

Oh, horrors, my remark about Queen Wilhelmina being Brunhilda has been misunderstood. It was not intened to be derogatory or to say that she turned into some kind of harridan or battlean or whatnot. Quite the contrary. She was an extremely intelligent and strong willed woman who had little use for politicians, always a sign of great intelligence. She was also possibly the richest woman in the world and a very shrewd financial investor who over the years made money, lots of it. Why, how very Dutch of her!!! And in her day a very attractive woman, I should say.

She stood up to the Nazis, hence my remark about Brunhilda. She called Hitler ther archangel of evil. She was a constant inspiration to the Dutch people and the Dutch resistance during the Second World War. In fact she did not want to leave the country when the nazis did another of their stabs in the back on Holland but wanted to rally here army in a corner of the country and stand and fight. It was too dangerous and she had to be taken to England. One very brave woman and every inch a queen. Brunhilda herself is a great worrior in Germanic mythology but that should not be confused with some kind of monster or ugly fiend either. She too was brave. She led the heros who had died in battle to Valhalla.

As for questions about cultrual situations or whathave you I must confess to having gone beyond the bounds of this thread. I would merely note that we live in a setting sun world. A world in which the external environment is deteriorating and the interior enviornment in people is becoming increasingly degraged. As an historian I do not worship or idealize the past so much as try to understand it and respect it. It was not a bed of roses by any means. There was more than a short litany of horrors. But they did have values, standards, a code. We today seem to have lost our center. We have become a culture of Ugliness.

When I read the reference "This fat ugly hog who happens to live in the US of A " I was saddened. As I read somewhere: "How ugly we are becoming from being unable to think well of ourselves."
Old 04-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

I understood you perfectly well and I liked the image of Wilhelmina as a Brunhilda (reminded me of a Wagner opera)...
She was a remarkable woman indeed. :)
Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
... I would merely note that we live in a setting sun world... We have become a culture of Ugliness.
Thomas, you need cheering up. Why not spend more time in the 'Favourite tiaras' thread. :)
Old 04-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Dear Members,

Oh, horrors, my remark about Queen Wilhelmina being Brunhilda has been misunderstood. It was not intened to be derogatory or to say that she turned into some kind of harridan or battlean or whatnot. Quite the contrary. She was an extremely intelligent and strong willed woman who had little use for politicians, always a sign of great intelligence. She was also possibly the richest woman in the world and a very shrewd financial investor who over the years made money, lots of it. Why, how very Dutch of her!!! And in her day a very attractive woman, I should say.

She stood up to the Nazis, hence my remark about Brunhilda. She called Hitler ther archangel of evil. She was a constant inspiration to the Dutch people and the Dutch resistance during the Second World War. In fact she did not want to leave the country when the nazis did another of their stabs in the back on Holland but wanted to rally here army in a corner of the country and stand and fight. It was too dangerous and she had to be taken to England. One very brave woman and every inch a queen. Brunhilda herself is a great worrior in Germanic mythology but that should not be confused with some kind of monster or ugly fiend either. She too was brave. She led the heros who had died in battle to Valhalla.
"
Thanks for your post Thomas! I agree with your assesments, as her cousin Alice of Athlone usually concluded (after a list of petty remarks)...'but WHAT a woman!' She never had to much illusions about the Nazi's, giving copies of Hitlers book to 'slow-understanding' dutch politicians to make her point.

Anyway, here a picture and a painting of Wilhelmina wearing her ugliest jewels, the Amsterdam parure (on the painting they toned it down, so it looks better then in real life). The tiara is broken up now and they made several pieces of jewelry of it for Beatrix, Irene, Margriet and Christina. Without the higher part the tiara could have been acceptable IMO.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Check out this tiara- it is the Wurttemberg Ruby Star Tiara
http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/gall...rttemberg.html

ugly!
I think this looks like something worn by a soprano playing the Queen of the Night in Mozart's "The Magic Flute". But I do think that if you take the big stars away, the main part of the tiara is very attractive. I'd just get rid of the big stars.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

I agree with Marengo about the tiara, it is fine except for the fact that there is just too much of it. But in her day Wilhelmina was lovely indeed. As for going to the other thread , my dear Warren, I have, and when I need to bring out the acidulous aspect of my nature I come here and fire away. I always feel better and some of the horrors are not all that bad, but with others one just shudders. Kind of like going to horror flicks. So do not be too distressed when I start raving and foaming in the mouth. After all every thread worth its salt has at least one certifiable honest to God lunatic who simply cannot and will not stop talking. It is called logorrhea, my favorite word in the English language. Naturally it is of Greek derivation. Cheers.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Gentry

I think the Swedish 4 button tiara is not very flattering. In this picture I think it looks loop sided. http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs5...den1977-28.jpg
Old 05-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Griffin
We should also not forget that the queen and Mary have different hair colours. With Margrethe's almost white hair I agree this yellow tiara doesn't look good at all. More like But with Mary's dark hair the yellow poppies might actually look nice. Maybe someone with good photoshop skills can give it a try? :p
That's true. Almost all tiaras look good in Silvia's hair which is a good reason why she keeps it dark.

The Alexandrine diamond drop tiara, that often looks so odd on Alexandra's head, maybe that particular tiara works better with a lighter hair colour ?? In Margrethe's (as we've seen), or even princess Lilian's hair (just speculating).

It is very high and prominent with it's grey / diamond impression and it's like a clash in Alexandra's black hair.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Courtier

In my opinion, I have to say that these jewels do not look great at all.
The only pieces that concern me are:

1. This sapphire and diamond necklace by Maria Teresa of Luxemburg seen here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&d=1146458298
Now, it's not that I don't like the piece at all, it's how she's wearing it. I don't think it looks good as a necklace, it would look better in it's original state which is a tiara. It's very mis-matchy to me too, since she has a pearl and diamond tiara, I would figure she would have worn diamond and pearl earrings and a pearl and diamond choker then maybe throw in a brooch.

Like this: http://img18.imagevenue.com/img.php?...ONJA_006_4.jpg

2. This gold and diamond flower necklace and earrings. This just looks tacky to me, something you'd find at a yard sale. With the jewels at her disposal, she could have done way better.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1146458237
Old 05-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, as I keep saying, every time I open my big mouth and say this is the end, they cannot find anymore. Guess what? Somebody comes up with yet another batch of horrors. In addition in the examples cited above the clothes were as atrocious as the jewels. Poor Sonja, You would have thought she knew better. That hideous red thing. Then we have poor Maria Theresa. The less said the better. They should just take all those jewels, precious metal and cloth and rip the things apart or melt them down and START OVER. Of course if you are in front of a camera all the time and you must wear an outfit you have never worn before and will never wear again-because if you do everybody will comment, oh she has worn that at x, y and z-I guess you cannot hit 100 % success all the time. Maybe we expect too much. It has got to be a hard life. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
This gold and diamond flower necklace and earrings. This just looks tacky to me, something you'd find at a yard sale. With the jewels at her disposal, she could have done way better.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1146458237
GOOD HEAVENS! Is that a tea towel on her head????
Old 05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Can't stand this tiara! I love the necklace and earrings, but the tiara...ewww why Maxima? Why put us through it?

http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=...0502050932.jpg
Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Courtier

The Maxima thing cited above is an absolute hoot. The poor thing should have been warned about the dangers of royalty being turned into a laughingstock.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels