The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 AM
Courtier

I would like to see Alexandra with the tiara together in different hairdo (As I remember so far she is always pulled up her hairs and never try other style, I think she will looks different). My guessed, she preffer her classic hairdo with tiara to give an taller effect of her.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Well, dear members,

It seems that we have mercifully begun to run out of the hideous. Alexandra's little number does nothing for me. But Alexandra is no longer a member of the royal family. Joachim had been a bad bad boy and now I understand is found himself a luscious Spanish number to console him in his loneliness. Can't say as I blame him.

We have now a small number of true contenders for the most horrendous tiara of all time. There is the Australian gall stone or opal thinge, which is enough to make QEII rise up and declare the place a republic. Then we have the ridiculous button tiaras of the frugal Swedes. Who else would take buttons off a man's clothes and put them on top of a woman's head? We also have the absurd star tiara numbers. And a few other plug uglies.

Then we have the sublime masterpiece, the Boris Karloff of tiaras. QMII's nine part poppy star treck receiver station. Of course she should sell off that flatulent little Baden tiara too. But the poppy number is really so awful that after a while it just sort of grows on you. Like the hideously ugly sheep dog with a heart of pure gold. The perfect Haloween tiara. Then of course we have forgotten the waste of good emeralds in Queen Rania's little Boucheron number and Sonja's viking head dress. All in all a colorful and memorable lot indeed. Let us just hope nobody comes in and digs up yet another horror. Between having my tiara lust busted by Warren's inablility to find a decent photo of the Fife tiara and the exhaustion from all of this, my nerves are just strained. One can find mountains of horror pics but not one of one of the most sublime creations in existence. Go figure. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Old 04-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Well, dear members,
One can find mountains of horror pics but not one of one of the most sublime creations in existence. Go figure. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Thomas, is this not just a metaphor for declining standards in the modern world?
Who would have thought we could chart this plunge into the abyss of ugliness through the depiction (or for the Fife, the lack of) of a jewelled head ornament?
Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren,

Your point is well taken and is indeed part of a larger issue. People today look like something the cat left on the lawn. They do not know how to dress. They do not dress. They look like, they act like slobs. All standards of elegance and dignity, not to mention manners, are thrown out the window. So yes, the decline of the tiara, a supreme expression of a truly elegant woman has gone down the drain and we have only a pale shadow of the former glory and what a glory it was!!!!

Same thing with food. People anymore do not cook, do not really enjoy food and are here in the US of A fat as hogs and just about as ugly. We even have an epidemic of adult onset diabetes!!! They would murder a true blood aristocrat in a splendid parure. (Parurue, what is that???) As for music, you don't want to get me started on that one!!!

Same goes for monarchy in general. We now have all these ghastly republics. And yes all those monarchs were not plaster of paris saints, they were in all too many cases just plain dumb. But are things really any better now? I think not. So what is all this nonsense about royalty and jewelry and all those lovely tiaras really but a longing for a better world? A world where there would still be some elegance, some beauty, some colour, indeed a dash of pomp, circumstance and dignity? Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 04-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Commoner

A lot of people may disagree but i really dislike the serpent? necklace that the Duchess of Cornwall wears so much.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaier
A lot of people may disagree but i really dislike the serpent? necklace that the Duchess of Cornwall wears so much.
I agree, I never found it a very unfortunate thing. She already wore it when Diana and Charles were still married and she was the mistress, right? The snake-comparison struck me then as rather biblical.
I do not like the gold/awuamarine thing she wears with her pearl necklace either.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Check out this tiara- it is the Wurttemberg Ruby Star Tiara
http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/gall...rttemberg.html

ugly!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian

ugly!
reminds me of a sailor moon tiara.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

ugly!
And why, exactly, would one want something of that nature on their head? Other than perhaps to impale someone one dislikes intensly?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

can you imagine if Crown Princess Mary, or Letizia etc turned up to an event wearing that! what a laugh it would be!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Commoner

The serpent was a popular motif in Edwardian jewelry. When shown with the tail in its mouth, it is symbolic of everlasting love.
Mrs Keppel gave the king an enamelled cigarette case with a serpent of diamonds slithering across its surface. Queen Alexandra returned this item to Mrs Keppel after the king's death, and after QA died, Mrs Keppel gave it to Queen Mary for the royal collection. It would seem that the Duchess is acknowledging her family history in wearing this piece.
The serpent jewel holds a type of mystique, and I actually think it is beautiful, but worn far too often. The Duchess' collection needs to be augmented with a much more substantial piece for the grand tiara occasions. That monster Greville necklace most recently seen on the Queen Mum comes to mind.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really dont like this tiara of maxima's. i wish she had kept the orginal pearls on the base. and not replaced them with the stars. they look like riding spurs or something. she ought to be careful. she might poke someone's eye out.

from polfoto
Old 04-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Serene Highness

I like star tiara. I dont like that with pearls- pearls are too big.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00086917.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	236810
from seegerpress
Old 04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:

ugly!

Oh I agree! The base is pretty but the stars on top are ugly, they look like giant star fish or something.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mims111
I like star tiara. I dont like that with pearls- pearls are too big.
Attachment 236810
from seegerpress
i agree with you. the base is lovely but the pearls are disproportionate. shorter, wider pearls would look better.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Courtier

Here is another tiara that I dislike because of the base. Without the base in the first picture I think it is a beautiful tiara like in the second picture. (I believe this is Queen Fabiola's tiara)

With base, kinda looks like a crown with flowers sprouting out, I kinda have the urge to water it

1.http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...2&d=1098432217

Here is the tiara without the base, I think this is a lovely version.

2. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1097517233
Old 04-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Here is another tiara that I dislike because of the base...
That tiara, is in my eyes the most beautiful diadem ever worn:p
Old 04-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Well, good people,

I was wrong. Just when I thought they could not find anymore because there are no more horror tiaras in existence, somebody opened yet another closet door in a back castle in Europe somewhere and out all these things just poped. The Wurtemburg State Ruby Tiara-now who but the Germans would give such a comic contraption such a name-really is right up there with the Poppy Horror Number, but I admit it does have decidedly comic possibilities. I agree that Fabiola's flower tiara without the base is quite lovely-are those emeralds I wonder? If so they are delicious and delightful. Each of you should get one for your birthday. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
I agree that Fabiola's flower tiara without the base is quite lovely-are those emeralds I wonder? If so they are delicious and delightful. Each of you should get one for your birthday. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Just the one Thomas? Too much choice: the central stones in Fabiola's tiara are interchangeable and it can be worn with aquamarine, emerald or ruby settings.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's OK, Warren; you can have the emeralds. I'll have the rubies, thank you.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels