Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Dear Warren:
Mea Culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Grudgingly accepted, and happily fixed. (refer original) :)

Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
It took me years to get over what they did in the 1920's to poor Rameses II.
What happened to Rameses II in the 1920's? Or were you thinking of Tutankhamen and Carter?

Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Courtier

The ultimate indignity

Actually, dear members, the poor royals have really had a time of it. Take the beheading of Marie Antoinette. Awful. They did not just chop off the poor woman's head they did even worse!!! And then they replaced these admittedly no so great people with Napoleon, the supreme egoist. Revolutions are usually dumb affairs. They almost always make matters much, much worse. Witness poor witless Nicholas II and his pathetic czarina. Better them than Vladimir Ilyich and Josep whatever any day of the week.

As for poor Rameses II, they hauled him off, sans mummy case, his remains that is, and put them on display in the Cairo Museum, if my memory serves me. In a glass case, no less. Now how would you feel if three thousand years from now you knew that people were going to be walking by and looking at you on display in a glass case. The insensitivity of it all is just appalling. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

PS. Speaking of appalling. The jewelry in this thread is nothing less than revolting, where on earth did you people find it?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
PS. Speaking of appalling. The jewelry in this thread is nothing less than revolting, where on earth did you people find it?
You have our beautiful yet at times outragoues royals to thank for the appalling jewelry.:) Some of them, at times mean well with the stones but somewhere in the transaction it gets lost and they end up with a horrible piece. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It just so happens that all these eyes don't really like what they see.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

1. Queen Sofia of Spain's ruby and diamond converted necklace. This to me does not look like a tiara, this should stay as a necklace I hope she doesn't pass it on to Letezia to wear as a tiara. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1063731745

Yes, I agree with you, this is a nice necklace but as a tiara it looks horrible, fortunately Sophia only has worn it once.
by the way, the floral tiara, was a necklake originally, but sophia converted it in a tiara though she wore it as a necklace on the evening gala before she married to JC.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
I think jewels are beautiful no matter what but there are times when they are put in a weird setting or paired with other not so good looking jewels, then the pieces, for example: tiara, necklace, brooch etc. look ugly. I was wondering if you have a piece that just was not esthetically pleasing to your eye in one way or another.

I'll go first, for some reason I didn't like Sophie Countess of Wessex's wedding pearl necklace that Edward designed for her. To me it looked tacky, just the way the pearls came down into a cross and then to make it worse Edward threw in those big black pearls. I'm all for pearls, I think they're very beautiful but this necklace struck me as weird looking. It would have been better if Edward maybe put the pearls on a gold pendant cross with a plain gold chain or used the pearl necklace but put a big pearl in the center. To me this one just didn't hit the mark. Here's a pic:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1050006256
I agree with you Amy, the necklace looks out of balance on her and with her gown. Do you know if she has worn this necklace since the wedding?
Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

I dont believe she has. personally i really liked the necklace. it was sort of medieval. it was the only thing that salvaged her wedding outfit. the dress was so ill-fitting.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Nobility

How about the tiara worn by Queen Dina on her marriage to King Hussein - very elegant and delicate in comparison to some of the monstrosities shown here. Sorry don't have a pic :( but felt the need to look at something tasteful following the golden poppies and opals
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Jewel
I agree with you Amy, the necklace looks out of balance on her and with her gown. Do you know if she has worn this necklace since the wedding?
I wouldn't call Sophie's necklace the worst royal jewel. I think the design would work if Edward had just added an extra pearl under the black pearl to give the cross some more distance from the necklace. As it is, the necklace overshadows the cross.

I think it would have really looked nice if he had made the necklace all white pearls and hung a black pearl from it to hang the cross from.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Courtier

I couldn't agree with you more.

Dear Members,

At the risk of offending by misquoting the name of one of the esteemed writers on this board-sorry, folks, but my feeble remnants of a brain is a sieve-I will simply refer to the above writer and say I completely agree that the poppy number and the opal thing take the cake. That opal looks like malignant gall stone or some such. The type of thing they haul out before the sick patient to persuade him or her to have the old gall bladder removed forthwith. As for the star trek poppy number, Henry VIII would have had her hauled off to the Tower and beheaded had she dared appear in public or private toting such a contraption about.

I agree with another writer, could somebody please find some tasteful, lovely trinkets of diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, pearls and rubies to soothe my rattled nerves. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree with another writer, could somebody please find some tasteful, lovely trinkets of diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, pearls and rubies to soothe my rattled nerves. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Thomas!
You are subjecting yourself to unnecessary suffering and no doubt further straining those already-frazzled nerves.

This thread is for the "Worst Jewels".

Rather than suffer further with the second-rate and unsightly, I suggest you enjoy any one of the literally dozens of threads devoted to pleasing (and glittering!) Royal Jewels.

Your obvious distress is becoming distressing. :)
Old 03-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Jewel
Crown Jewel, as far as I know Sophie hasn't worn the necklace again after her wedding and probably for good reason.
I stick by my statement, this necklace is ugly.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Commoner

i dont think madeline's aquamarine tiara is ugly. it is quite pretty i have bright bright red hair and i think somethng like that would look good on my hair. tanya
Old 03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren and company:

My nerves are distressed, no matter what. Besides, it is great fun to see all the horrors. It is an antidote to all the glittering and unattainable gorgeousness on all those other threads. Besides, you can't very well put a picture of Rameses II in his glass case on the network here. There are certain things that are just not done. (I hope) Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Crown Jewel, as far as I know Sophie hasn't worn the necklace again after her wedding and probably for good reason.
I stick by my statement, this necklace is ugly.
I've seen it since her wedding. Maybe at the Queen Mother's funeral or something? It isn't the sort of thing for everyday wear or to complement an evening dress, that's for sure.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand, why would royals hold on to less attractive pieces rather than sell them and get more money for them since they are historic pieces, and then they could buy better jewels and tiaras that they could get more use out of? For example, CP Victoria has a not so pretty tiara that I think she could probably sell and then she would be able to buy a more fashionable tiara. Just a thought. You would think that that is what they would do. Why keep a not so pretty tiara when you can get a better one that would make you look better and you could get a lot more use out of? Who knows, it's her culture and her family.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Royal Highness

Even though some royal jewels are neither pretty nor fashionable, there is a lot of historical value and personal sentiment towards them. Victoria's first tiara was a gift from her parents for her 18th birthday which was a very significant birthday for her. This tiara marks that turning of age. Besides, how would her parents feel if she just sold the tiara they probably thought a lot about no matter how ugly. Victoria may even think about giving it to her own daughter one day (I hope not...), who knows? The button tiaras that many people are horrified with are certainly not the best royal tiaras but those ten buttons are significant to the royals and their history. I think they hold onto them because maybe they are worth more than the amount of money they would receive from selling those jewels. These jewels come from hundreds of years back, they're not something you just give, throw away, or sell in a heartbeat.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Alexandrine's diamond drop tiara

http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/alexandra1.html
Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilal
Queen Alexandrine's diamond drop tiara
http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/alexandra1.html
Better known as Princess Alexandra of Denmark's signature tiara. The diamonds in the arches are loose hanging, which means that with every movement of the wearer, the diamonds shimmer. It must be a sight to see under lights. Perhaps the problem is that this tiara is hard to photograph unless the wearer is absolutley still. But clear pics show it to be quite a delicate and impressive work of the jeweller's art.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania
I don't understand, why would royals hold on to less attractive pieces rather than sell them and get more money for them since they are historic pieces, and then they could buy better jewels and tiaras that they could get more use out of? For example, CP Victoria has a not so pretty tiara that I think she could probably sell and then she would be able to buy a more fashionable tiara. Just a thought. You would think that that is what they would do. Why keep a not so pretty tiara when you can get a better one that would make you look better and you could get a lot more use out of? Who knows, it's her culture and her family.
One thing that strikes me about the jewelry in this thread is that none of it is really ugly but just inappropriate for the person wearing it.

These Royal Families have a history of centuries and part of that history are pieces of jewelry that have been seen on successive generations. Its their signature. Non-royal women may have bigger diamonds but no one outside of royalty has the jewels with the combination of wealth and history that the royals do.

Some royal jewels have been re-set but for a royal family with hundreds of years of history, it doesn't alway make sense to re-fashion a piece of historical jewelry because one princess in one generation out of 20 generations can't wear it.

When it comes to looking modern, looking stylish, the royals are always going to lose out to commoners who don't have the restrictions of being royal. But the royals have something the normal rich woman on the street doesn't have and thats what makes them unique.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels