The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Commoner

It is something about opals..so often they look tacky and cheap, even though they can be quite lovely.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane1
It is something about opals..so often they look tacky and cheap, even though they can be quite lovely.
I think it has to do with the design rather than a particular stone.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Courtier

OMG that's truly ugly.... no wonder HM has never worn it
But that aside, Opal is a very beautiful stone, it set correctly. My late mother in law left me a very old opal ring - it's shape is oval and surrounded by small diamonds - very old fashion setting and it's very beautiful...
Old 02-22-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
It looks like a Christmas ornament.:(
Or a St. Patrick's day hat. Whichever, Rania's tiara is really a waste of nice jewels.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
There was a raging discussion about that going on in Camilla's jewelry thread when she first wore it. I believe the consensus is that it's open now.
There is no visible evidence that the Durbar tiara is no longer a diadem. Until we see something to the contrary we can just as validly conclude it is still intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas parkman
You can't leave this image just hanging. Do you have a photo? Asked the noble Idriel?
Thomas, I did the set up and left it open for your punchline, and you repay the favour by misquoting my name!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Spanish tiaras wasn't mentioned here at all (fortunately)! They are all absolutely beautiful, quite modest but also regal. I love Sofia and Letizia's wedding tiara (the Prussian one) and the floral one as well.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I think some tiaras are quite horrifying, but for some of them - it really depends on the wearer. A tiara that looks good on someone - may look terrible on someone else who has a different age, shape of head or hair-do.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
For a really awful piece of jewelry, take a look at this opal piece of jewelry that Elizabeth II received as a gift. Is it a necklace; is it a tiara? Who knows? The good Queen has thankfully never worn it.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1110972771
HM the Queen has worm it, but only once I believe...it was either a gift from the people of South Australia or Australia as a whole...can't quite remember but the Queen did wear it.

Such a shame about the opal...the setting of the diamonds is quite beautiful!

"MII"
Old 02-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

If the Opal was the other way around, and the tiara was more flat, would it look better?
Old 02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I agree, MII. The setting would have looked better with a smaller stone, I believe. But I imagine that the giver thought more enhancing their own status and publicity by giving the Queen an enormous opal rather than giving her something she could really use.

It's a shame because if they had given her a beautiful piece of opal jewelry with a smaller stone, she would have worn it more often and people would always refer to it as the Australian opal as they did with the Star of Africa which was a gift from South Africa.

I wonder what other horrid gifts, jewel and non-jewel, the Queen has received that has remained in the vault. That would make a truly worst royal jewels thread but I think we'll never see them.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Here are a few more jewels...
Note to Sofia and Margrit: don't convert any already small necklaces to tiara's it just doesn't work.

1. Queen Sofia of Spain's ruby and diamond converted necklace. This to me does not look like a tiara, this should stay as a necklace I hope she doesn't pass it on to Letezia to wear as a tiara. http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1063731745

2. Princess Margrit, yet another tiara we can not see! I think they are emeralds but who knows! If this is a converted necklace then yet again this should stay as a necklace, what's the point in having a tiara if you can't see it? http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1118588268

3. Now I'm not sure if this is a family heirloom or not but I think it should stay in the vault! I've never been one to like turquios, yes it is an interesting stone but I don't think it has any place on this necklace or earrings. And whomever posted the hideous "snake" necklace for Camilla, Thank you! http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-2...-fa7ef2b9863b}

4. Now this has been circulating around the Princess Caroline jewelry forum for a while, this I just don't understand. This necklace and earrings, first of all what is it? shells or something? and what is it made out of? Looks like plastic to me. It's post # 144 But I could post Caroline's whole jewelry box on here, she only wears decent jewels when they are her mother's, other than that they look horrible to me.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ry-1006-8.html

5. Now I don't think this is a horrible jewel set but doesn't it bare a striking resembelance to Mary's ruby tiara set. Hmmm!
http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-712159.jpg?size=67&uid={50ba2a17-82dc-4168-8a07-3fb1dc6949b1}
Old 02-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, this Sofia's tiara probably would look better as a necklace, as a tiara it's terrible!!! What happen with the other Spanish taras?
I'm not a big fan of the Duch tiaras - some of them.
Camilla need some more jewelery. This is well...
About Ann-Marie jewelery, the - necklace came from Mary's ruby tiara and necklace.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I actually like the necklace/tiara Queen Sofia is wearing. Princess Margriets tiara (which belonged to Duchess Louise of Brunswick, sister of King Willem I) was always a tiara. Laurentien and Maxima wore this one with pearls. The tiara disappears in the hair, as do most tiara's on Margriet and Beatrix.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:06 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
About Ann-Marie jewelery, the - necklace came from Mary's ruby tiara and necklace.
I would just like to clarify that the necklace is NOT from the danish jewel chest. The ruby parure that Anne-Marie i wearing was given to the first greek queen by the king, because he thought that she looked lovely in rubies(read that somewhere, don't remember the exact book). hope this helps:)
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks. My mistake.:) I always thought that it's from Danish. I don't know why maybe becouse they look little similar?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Thanks. My mistake.:) I always thought that it's from Danish. I don't know why maybe becouse they look little similar?
I believe the mentioned ruby set came to the Greek royal family from Russia, via Queen Olga.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I believe the mentioned ruby set came to the Greek royal family from Russia, via Queen Olga.
"This parure is one of the oldest parures in the Greek royal family and can be traced all the back to Queen Olga, who recieved them because rubies looked so nice on her.
It has lived an interesting life, belonging to various brances of the Greek royal family, but it was bought back by King Paul I (father of King Constantine)
Queen Anne-Marie recieved the parure as a wedding present from her parents-in-law.

The parure consists of a tiara, necklace, brooches and earring.
It is set with rather big rubies and diamonds.

The necklace can be worn long or short, and with- or without the drop pendants.
The Queen has 5 drops, which she can put on the necklace.
Both brooches can be worn with- or without drops
."

More here http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/anne-marie2.html
Old 02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren:

Mea Culpa, mea maxima culpa. I have misquoted your name. Horrors. Please accept my most abject apologies. I can only hope that someday you will forgive me, but you will understand that I was in a state of total shock and dismay. All my delusions about royalty being models of superb taste and elegance had just been blasted out of the glalaxy. Had come crashing to the hard cold and cruel ground of reality.

Take that space trip aquamarine number of Princess Maxima. Now really, is she receeving messsages from outer space. Everyone has said that this or that is the ugliest thing ever seen. Yet all agree that the weeds growing out of QMII's head look the worst. She looks like the queeen at the botton of the barrel in the 6o's movie Voyage to the bottom of the World. Color just fits right in.

So if in my state of total shock I have misquoted or misatributed such and such, you must remember I am a sensitive soul. It took me years to get over what they did in the 1920's to poor Rameses II. So you can just imagine what this has done for me. Cheeers. Thomas Parkman (BTW it is Parkman, not Parkham but then I have been called so much worse in my lifetime, and all of it merited)
Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Courtier

I'm not a fan of this tiara, I don't particularly like turquoise on tiaras.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...0&d=1131310362
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

That tiara has interchangeable stones, and it looks quite a lot better in its other incarnations. It's rather a delicate tiara for opaque stones like turquoises.

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels