The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Royal Highness

I'm having trouble finding a picture but I think Princess Maxima's all aquamarine tiara is just awful. It doesn't even seem like a tiara to me! If anybody has a picture, please post! :)

Old 02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I'm having trouble finding a picture but I think Princess Maxima's all aquamarine tiara is just awful. It doesn't even seem like a tiara to me! If anybody has a picture, please post! :)
Do you mean this one? I found it somewhere in a thread on Maxima's jewels somewhere here on TRF, originally posted by micas :)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50535&d=1098637644

I don't like it much either, to be honest...

Old 02-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Courtier

Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Oh, My God!! My God!!! My God!!!! Where did you people get those awful pitures. They are blackmail material. Whatever you do, be sure to keep them out of the hands of the republicans (note the small r, please).

You can't leave this image just hanging. Do you have a photo? Asked the noble Idriel?

What? Are you kidding. There are NO pictures of such a fiasco. You may be sure that I did not stand there like the grinning idiots appearing in some of the above photos and let them take MY picture. If there had been I would have murdered the photographer and upon seeing the reason there is not a jury in the whole state of South Carolina that would have convicted me.

As for the Duchess of Glouchester, she is wearing Queen Mary's honeycomb tiara. It is actually quite lovely. The only thing is they have changed the large central stone from a kunzite, whatever that is, to an emerald. They must have gotten some money or a gift from somewhere. The necklace is hideous. As for Camilla, poor thing, she is not Diana through no fault of her own. Again she is wearing Queen Mary's Delhi Durbar tiara, minus the Cullinan whatever (a 90 some odd carat number) and five cobochon emeralds. But it grows on you. It is actually a magnificent piece of work. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Delhi Durbar is a nice tiara in my opinion. Looks better with one of grannys chips in front though. I rather liked it on Camilla. Though I dont think that tiara would work on other occasions. It just isnt a tiara for a princess in todays age. Is it still a crown or is it open in the back.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25
Is it still a crown or is it open in the back.
There was a raging discussion about that going on in Camilla's jewelry thread when she first wore it. I believe the consensus is that it's open now.

What the...

Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Do you mean this one? I found it somewhere in a thread on Maxima's jewels somewhere here on TRF, originally posted by micas :)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1098637644

I don't like it much either, to be honest...
Yes! Thanks Maxie. I think it's just awful. It doesn't even really look like a tiara but just a bunch of light blue spikes coming out of her head.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Nobility

I think Sara, Duchess of York's Tiara was pretty tacky looking, as is Sophie's. I also think Queen Sylvia's Tiara's are way too large, like the cameo one.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Yes! Thanks Maxie. I think it's just awful. It doesn't even really look like a tiara but just a bunch of light blue spikes coming out of her head.
I think the angle doesn;t favour the tiara to much. Though it is not a grand piece, on some pictures it looks quite nice. It would make a nice (and modest) first tiara for princess Catharina-Amalia (as it was for the late Queen Juliana who received the aquamarine parure for her 18th birthday).
Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Royal Highness

The Dutch RF and have the tackiest collection, and the Belgian RF have the poorest collection!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
I think the angle doesn;t favour the tiara to much. Though it is not a grand piece, on some pictures it looks quite nice. It would make a nice (and modest) first tiara for princess Catharina-Amalia (as it was for the late Queen Juliana who received the aquamarine parure for her 18th birthday).
You're quite right about the angle, Marengo. It realy sticks out too much. It reminds me a bit of the Swedish 4 button tiara, which sticks out too (it actually looks like Mickey Mouse ears, imo). I think it would look better somewhere in Beatrix' big hairdo.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
The one Mabel is wearing was made on the second frame of Queen Emma's sapphire diademe (which reminds me of a gothic cathedral). I never saw it before in this frame, and I hope I will never see it again like this either.
From Getty, the original diademe and Beatrix in London:.
Thanks for the pic Morengo, I was looking for this picture. One thing I still confuse about it, Is the tiara which Mabel wore a detachable part from queen Ema's saphir tiara or they removed the stones to create a new tiara.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 PM
Courtier

This is a great thread! For some reason I had in my tiny, little mind that there was no such thing as "Ugly" royal jewels!!! Boy was I wrong!
And I'm sorry, but Madeline's aquamarine still wins hands down for me as the ugliest. And that "thing" that QMII was wearing in that last post (#58), looked like she had some kind of growth or splotches on her head! :p
Old 02-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie
The Dutch RF and have the tackiest collection, and the Belgian RF have the poorest collection!
I agree that the Dutch RF has the tackiest collection. I don't like any of Maxima's tiaras (including the star tiara) and I think the aquamarine one is the worst. For such beautiful royal women, I hope they step up their collection. I, personally don't know much about the Belgian RF's collection but I think Mathilde's laurel leaf tiara? is alright....
Old 02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I agree that the Dutch RF has the tackiest collection. I don't like any of Maxima's tiaras (including the star tiara) and I think the aquamarine one is the worst. For such beautiful royal women, I hope they step up their collection. I, personally don't know much about the Belgian RF's collection but I think Mathilde's laurel leaf tiara? is alright....
I disagree, the dutch RF has a beautiful collection of jewels, most tiara's have 'big' stones as well. The problem is that the recent changes are not very succesfull in my eyes. The pointy necklace, the star tiara and the reshaped emerald tiara (with upright pearls now) are ugly. I wonder why they changed these things as there are many other nice tiara's we scarcely see, among them Queen Anna's pearl-spike tiara, the pearl-button tiara, laurel wreath (Laurentiens wedding tiara) and the ears of wheat tiara.
I would advice to put the stars on a smaller frame and let them stand out less, so put them in closer contact with the hair, and maybe they should use all 10 of them as hairornaments (like Sissy ).

The belgians have a very small collection. Mathilde has only the laurel tiara, Claire has one (tiny) tiara, Astrid has one from the the Aosta family, the Queen has two (elisabeths bandeau and the diademe of the provences) and Fabiola has two as well (the tiny Wolfers tiara, which is basically a small necklace) and the lovely Coronet of Leaves she received from Franco/Spain. All the other pieces (2 grand tiaras and nice necklaces, brooches etc) were sold by Leopold and Lilian.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galuhcandrakirana
Thanks for the pic Morengo, I was looking for this picture. One thing I still confuse about it, Is the tiara which Mabel wore a detachable part from queen Ema's saphir tiara or they removed the stones to create a new tiara.
I think they detach some diamonds from this frame and put it on a second one.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

For a really awful piece of jewelry, take a look at this opal piece of jewelry that Elizabeth II received as a gift. Is it a necklace; is it a tiara? Who knows? The good Queen has thankfully never worn it.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1110972771
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

the thing is ghastly indeed! Other pieces of jewelry of QE2, I am not to fond of are the Burmese Ruby Tiara and the Brazilian Aquamarine.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
For a really awful piece of jewelry, take a look at this opal piece of jewelry that Elizabeth II received as a gift. Is it a necklace; is it a tiara? Who knows? The good Queen has thankfully never worn it.

I actually made a really bad face and squirmed in my seat when I saw this hideous, ghastly, vile, ugly looking thing!!! EEEKKKKKK!!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Another tiaras, which I don't like
1) http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...3&d=1052253485
2) http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1069335243

This is nice but too big like for me - Countess de Torby, Sophia von Merenberg's Russian Kokoshnik Tiara,
Old 02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
For a really awful piece of jewelry, take a look at this opal piece of jewelry that Elizabeth II received as a gift.
Those cheeky republicans...

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels