The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, the noble Ms. Lady K has struck again. I am glad, happy and cheered enormously that my raving insanity has inspired or possibly depressed someone into actually doing something about some of these royals monumental bad taste. It is interesting. I do not know which of the necklaces I prefer. The cross thing is not bad but the simple necklace is simply lovely. I think I prefer it. Please notice however, and most interestingly she is still wearing the earings with black pearls and they work very well.

As for getting goodies out of Queen Elizabeth II, that would be on the order I suppose of approaching Fafner the Dragon (do I have my names right here-Wagner can be such a bore) and asking to borrow some of the golden hoard.
Let us see: does one just ring up Lillibet and say well old girl, you know, and Lord you must know by now, that being married to Charlie has its rouch spots and has resulted in my developing this terrible bald spot. Would You mind terribly if I pinched the Delhi Durbar with emeralds and necklaces and stomacher and earings and bracelet to wear to the coal miners awards dinner to relieve my depression??? After all a nice headache certainly can be a distraction from other headaches and pains one dares not mentioin, least of all in the royal Presence.

Or. option 2 does one send ones own underling to talk to QEII's underling about which jewels underling no. 1 can heist for the dinner for the Regent of Sawziland tomorrow night. We are having a horrible time finding the right jewels to match this dress Charlie bought or was rather given to him while on tour to the Gulf states, etc. etc.

You must admit these people have interesting and unusual problems. Warren, could you kindly enlighten us how these things are done, after taking more of the aspirin you keep by your computer table. Cheeers.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Well, good people, the noble Ms. Lady K has struck again. I am glad, happy and cheered enormously that my raving insanity has inspired or possibly depressed someone into actually doing something about some of these royals monumental bad taste. It is interesting. I do not know which of the necklaces I prefer. The cross thing is not bad but the simple necklace is simply lovely. I think I prefer it. Please notice however, and most interestingly she is still wearing the earings with black pearls and they work very well.
Depress me? nah, you don't depress me- make me laugh, but not depress me. I like the suggestions!

I didn't even notice the earrings were black pearl too.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Courtier

I'm going to stick up for the Swedish Cameo tiara to the bitter end. But that Jeep tiara that Victoria has been saddled with is horrible.

I also really like Madeleine's Aquamarine tiara because it's a bit unusual. Ooh, Victoria's 18th birthday or first tiara (whatever you call it) is HIDEOUS, though.

From the Netherlands jewels, I actually find the so-called "small floral tiara" extremely clumsy. Really only the coiffure of Beatrix herself can carry off that strange shape.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I don't like the Cameo tiara as much- some of the more recent times Silvia has worn it haven't been as bad.

But it should NEVER be worn with a wedding veil! Some of the other tiaras are much better suited for that purpose.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think the "Dites Moi" ring Dodi was allegedly buying Diana was pretty hideous. Reminded me of a Super Bowl championship ring. (It kills me how some people with money have such awful taste.)
Old 08-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I think the "Dites Moi" ring Dodi was allegedly buying Diana was pretty hideous. Reminded me of a Super Bowl championship ring. (It kills me how some people with money have such awful taste.)
Ugh, true enough. I can't imagine her wanting to wear it. Her pieces were usually very tasteful, if sometimes a tad eccentric.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, you should see some of the goodies from the 19th century America to see some really absolutely hideous bad taste. Of course these people were not royalty, but they certainly liked to pretend that they were. Some of these goodies where one creature with obviously more money than sense pretending to be Maria Theresa are just hysterical. then we do have some real royal and imperial horrors. I for one have never been able to stomach the diadem of ancient pearls in the Russian Crown jewels collection, although I do not doubt that other members will most heartily disagree with me. Then there was one Portugese monstrosity that can only be described as positively revolting. Unfortunately I do not have the technical ability to be able to share these malignant delights with the members here. You will just have to take my word for it. Cheers.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Royal Highness

I've said it once, I've said it twice, and I'll say it again--I love this thread! It is my favorite one. Hands down, no contest. That being said, Iowabelle and Kimebear, your discussion of the ring Dodi bought for Diana set me off on a search of its image online and I found it and YEAH, it is UGLY. Not her style at all. But, as disturbingly ugly as that ring is, the website I found that talks about the ring's final resting place was much more disturbing--I think it is just someone's blog and she just took the pictures---
check it out:

July, 2001 Visit to Diana and Dodi Memorial at Harrod's

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-01-2007, 03:31 AM
Serene Highness

Okay, the preserved wine glass is just creepy.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Okay, the preserved wine glass is just creepy.
Here's the image for all to share - The wine glass (with ring inset in base)
Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Royal Highness

Just seeing it again makes me shudder (We need an icon for shudder)

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Well, good people, this is just the place for that kitsch gone bonkers wine glass and ring in all the tacky and revolting tastelessness of it. And the picture of the two-well the less said the better. And such a waste of beautiful gemstones too. Have you noticed how often the stones themselves are lovely but put to such simply abysmal uses. To have turned Harrods of all places into a shrine of such vulgar and deranged twaddle is pathetic and sad indeed.

However I will agree with the Prince of Chota, I too like the Swedish cameo tiara, although I can vacillate on the subject, but compared to other horrors. All the one really needs for that balck pearl drivel is for Sophie to be sporting a black pearl nose plug or to have a huge cultured black pearl glued to the side of her nose. I still wonder what the Vladimir tiara or a copy of it-tiaras with gems set in circles of diamonds were quite common-set with black pearls would look like. Do they have black pearl drops on the order of the white pearl drops I wonder.

Of course now we need an icon of Thomas getting stoned on chocolate. A raving idiot soothed and blissed out and out of this world drooling over some goodie on the RF. And the noble and long suffering Warren reaching for his aspirin. Cheers.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman View Post
Well, good people, this is just the place for that kitsch gone bonkers wine glass and ring in all the tacky and revolting tastelessness of it.
Thomas, does this mean you have failed to appreciate the craftmanship, the delicacy, the subtlety, the charm, and the sheer exquisiteness of Mr Al Fayed's homage to his late son and alleged daughter-in-law-to-be? Why, there's even a Renaissance-like Biblical allusion to the Last Supper. Surely an artistic, quasi-religious and cultural highpoint!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Royal Highness

Well.....since we're on the subject of, and I shall quote dearest Warren as he put it so beautifully, "the craftmanship, the delicacy, the subtlety, the charm, and the sheer exquisiteness of Mr Al Fayed's homage to his late son and alleged daughter-in-law-to-be?....an artistic, quasi-religious and cultural highpoint! " I feel that I would be remiss in not directing the good people of the thread to another one of Mr. Mohommad Al-Fayed "homages": this undeniably timeless piece of the utmost taste, tact, and ahem.....beauty would of course be the statue of Diana and Dodi standing beneath an albatross--

here is a link to the story:
CNN.com - Harrods unveils Diana, Dodi statue - Sep 1, 2005

another article:
CNN.com - Harrods unveils Diana, Dodi statue - Sep 1, 2005

and my personal favorite, a headshot of the "tribute:
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...0245_getty.jpg

It may not be Worst Royal Jewel, but it is a worst alright.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Courtier

Ye Gods and Little Fishes, And we thought the jewels were bad. What a waste of good bronze, or was it brass. If it were not it should have been made out of gall stone, if such exists. It seems more than our beloved gemstones can be used as monuments to sheer tackiness. For once words fail me. I do suppose Mr. Who's Its, the designer from Harrods responsible for this abomination could have stuck in a few thingies stolen here and there from Leonardo da Vinci, fallen paint chips and all. They would have fit right in I am sure. I will now need to go home and OD on chocolate to recover the feeble remenants of my sanityfor sure. Cheers
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Just seeing it again makes me shudder (We need an icon for shudder)
Well, there are a few out there, but in the hope that TRF members don't spend much time shuddering, there isn't one in our gallery. If you want to save one on your computer and use it next time Mohamed Fayed shows up here, I found these. Although, to be honest, I think our icon does the job pretty well in this case.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Royal Highness

That statue was pretty hideous. Poor Mr. al Fayed. IMO he seems to have become unhinged by his grief (and possible guilt). I have to agree, the whole display is creepy.

I guess I'm a lot more simple than the al Fayeds. Given a choice of the Super Bowl ring and Charles' engagement ring, give me the sapphire and diamond number please!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Royal Highness

I've been thinking about it a lot and can't keep it in anymore. I think Queen Sonja is a lovely person, despite her penchant for that awful canary yellow dress... but her modern pieces are just not attractive. In particular, I dislike the modern topaz tiara.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

the ring that dodi purchased for diana has always annoyed me. if he were buying an engagement ring i can't imagine any woman wanting something that looks like that as her announcement to world that she's getting married. now i know that women embarking on a second marriage may want something entirley different from their first engagement ring but that...i mean c'mon....it screams tacky and i just don't think diana would have accepted something like it from ANY man.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Cool

Sophie's pearl necklace would be better without the cross and the black pearls. The Dutch emerald/pearl tiara is better with the emeralds only and for some reason I liked the way Princess Irene and Queen Juliana wore it inverted with the emeralds.

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels