The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
Sara, it appears that you and I are in the minority about Maxima's tiara--I love it because it is both historic and whimsical. Now, when Maxima is around 45, she'll look silly in it, but for now, she looks lovely. But, I don't see where there are any similarities between the Westminster Pearl Tiara and Maxima's Wedding Tiara, other than the upright feature.
The thing with Maxima's tiara is that proportionally, it's just soooo off! Those big stars, sitting on virtually no base! Just hanging there in the air! Weird. The one good thing about that tiara though is that it doesn't have pearls in it.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Royal Highness

Princess Olga, you are quite right--Maxima's star tiara's proportion is all off, and yes, it looks like fireworks exploding from her head--and I totally hated it until last week--I don't know, I decided it was whimsical rather than awful, and I like a little touch of whimsy every now and then-
but, if it had pearls---UGH! That would just be wrong. I, too, am not the greatest fan of pearls in tiaras--and I know I'm getting ready to really hear it, but I never cared for the Cambridge tiara that Queen Mary had made that eventually ended up on Diana--I think its a touch too sweet. But, I wouldn't turn it down! The best pearl tiara would be the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara when it has the pearls in it--but that tiara looks good no matter what!
And Olga, I don't think I can ever look at another tiara without thinking of your teeth on the head comment! That was laugh-out-loud funny!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, really - if a gift is extravagant enough, it could bankrupt the recipient in import duty. I mean, even Charles and Camilla might not be able to come up with the sort of cash it'd take to make the spoils of a Middle Eastern tour legal. And if they're on that tour representing the Queen, then the gifts they're receiving aren't really just personal gifts; they're gifts to the royals because they're royal.
I agree! But usually the royal family does not pay duties on gifts received from foreign heads of state, so I think it's a red herring anyway. They are representing the UK on a state visit afterall.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

If the royal family had to pay duties on gifts received on foreign tours they would either have to decline the gift, or give it to the crown or some such. Nobody in his or her right mind could reasonably expect them to pay duties on the massive amounts of goodies that they receive, including the unmentioned but I am sure massive amount of junk they receive as well.

I would agree that the ruby necklace is definately overdue, but my what excesss. They need to tone it down. Possibly use half or more of the rubies in a nice tiara-not one designed by the Burmese Ruby Tiara jeweler-and then it would work. But if Charles had to pay the duties on that little bijoux the man would be out on the street, have to let go of his staff, take in borders at Clarence House and have Camilla in the kitchen cooking three meals a day. Does the ruby bedecked Camilla even know how to cook, I wonder??? Cheers.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to her son, she does. I doubt she decks herself out in rubies for the occasion, though!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM

Nanette Newman used to wear chiffon and emeralds to cook cheese on toast so it's a possibility.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
I've come to the conclusion that pearls really just don't belong in a tiara, period. Why? They just don't go..maybe because those pearls, all lined up next to one another, more than vaguely resemble a big set of teeth. Worn on someone's head! Ugh.
Nothing should upstage the wearer's <real> smile, I say!
Au contraire, princess olga. If I had the money for big and luscious jewels, I sure hope they'd be dazzling enough to upstage me. If not, then why fork over the money to wear them?

Something minimal in 14K gold with no jewels can accentuate my smile just as well without upstaging me with much less cost (and if truth be told, much less originality and much much much less fun).
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Joan Rivers once said, "If you're the Queen of England, Scotland, Wales and Canada, you should look good. Diamonds, fur coats and for God's sake, shave those legs". And she's right. If you're rich, you should look rich. Otherwise, what's the point of being rich? You may as well give your money to someone who will look good with money.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Ah I see what you mean about Queen Emma's original Diamond Parure. That was an impressive jewel and it looked good on Queen Emma who was no natural beauty.

But the star tiara made from it for Maxima looks inconsequential in comparison.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Joan Rivers once said, "If you're the Queen of England, Scotland, Wales and Canada, you should look good. Diamonds, fur coats and for God's sake, shave those legs". And she's right. If you're rich, you should look rich. Otherwise, what's the point of being rich? You may as well give your money to someone who will look good with money.

Dear Members,

The Noble BeatrixFan has once again hit the nail on the head. If you are going tobe royalty, for God's sake look and dress like royalty!!!!!! What is the point of looking like the poor egalitarian masses. We the poor egalitarian masses see each other everyday of the week. We would like to look a something and somebody different. With taste and stlye and lots of jewelry if you please.

If we want to look at republicans we can always drool over Hillary Clinton and the President of Finland, not to mention the adminstrative assistant in the doctors office when we go to get a shot. Cheers.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Noble? I like it. Thankyou Thomas. I do wonder if we'll ever see Hillary C or Mrs Bush in a tiara. Now that would be something.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
Au contraire, princess olga. If I had the money for big and luscious jewels, I sure hope they'd be dazzling enough to upstage me. If not, then why fork over the money to wear them?

Something minimal in 14K gold with no jewels can accentuate my smile just as well without upstaging me with much less cost (and if truth be told, much less originality and much much much less fun).
Don't disagree here at all! Because after all, gorgeous jewels don't need to upstage anyone, they can complement someone's look, right?
Someone who always got that right was the elegant queen Mary. She managed to do what not many seem to be able to pull of: wear tons of shiny and impressive jewels, and still not be upstaged!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan

Dear Members,

The Noble BeatrixFan has once again hit the nail on the head. If you are going tobe royalty, for God's sake look and dress like royalty!!!!!! What is the point of looking like the poor egalitarian masses.
No point at all. But, dear T., royal shouldn't and doesn't necessarily equal tackiness! What I mean is, even if I were AND royal AND filthy rich, you still wouldn't catch me <dead> in Sophie Wessex's pearl wedding neckless for example. Or that weird antler tiara of hers. Or the poppy extra-gallactic tiara of Queen Margarethe's, or or...
Old 02-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Nobility

Yes but does sophie have a choice in which tiara she wears doesn' t the queen make that decision? As far as sophie's necklace it was her wedding gift from edward so I guess she was obligated to wear it.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Dear Members,

The Noble BeatrixFan has once again hit the nail on the head. If you are going tobe royalty, for God's sake look and dress like royalty!!!!!! What is the point of looking like the poor egalitarian masses. We the poor egalitarian masses see each other everyday of the week. We would like to look a something and somebody different. With taste and stlye and lots of jewelry if you please.

There's a difference between looking royal and looking like you're 5 years old and climbing around Mommy's jewelry box. You don't need to wear every single piece of bling-bling you own just to look royal. Trust me, even if these people wear as little jewelry as possible, there's no chance of them being mistaken for what was it you said.....the "poor egalitarian masses." I think the over-layering of jewelry to be tacky and ostentatious and just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it. Less really is more, and I think people who have the means to wear everything they own at once and do it anyway are just showing off and I don't like that quality in people. We know you're royalty, it's more in how you carry yourself than the number of jewels you wear.

I'm one of those masses you mentioned, so no matter what they wear, they look richer than me. Even if that means they don't have diamonds plastered on every inch of their bodies.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Courtier

Oh, how luscious, a squabble among the members!!!! I would repeat my assertion, with taste and style and lots of jewelry. Balance can be difficult. I would agree, (do consult some of my acidulous and on occassion outrageous comments in this thread most notably but elsewhere as well), for instance that the Sophie Wessex junk was a major faux pas and the QMII Poppy Horror Great Sumerian Earth Mother was something to wear at a Halloween party, but for instance Queen Mary in that lovely tiara and that massive diamnond scarf thing, the name of which I can never remember, or Crown Princess Mary in the Desiree Clary ruby parure, that is something else indeed. Camilla certainly seems to be able to carry it off as well if not better than anyone.

I guess it is a matter of taste. Some people like Beethoven, others prefer Mozart and others the Beetles. Some people like asparagus, others cannot stand it. But I emphatically cannot agree that less is more. Less is, well just that, less.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

i like the topaz tiara on queen sonja of norway
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

I would love to see both Hilary (and especially Hilary) and Laura
Bush in tiaras and indeed the whole parure. there is a picture around here somewhere of Laura and W and QEII at a state banquet or whatever with QEII bedecked in the koshnick (no, I cannot spell) tiara of Queen Alexandra and diamonds and Laura with with huge diamond thingie around her neck which was really rather nice. Perhaps one of our genius photoshoppers could put aside their sense of taste, decorum and dare I say prejudice and bedeck both ladies with appropriate goodies from our collective massive treasure trove of computer/photographic goodies.

As for the topaz tiara of Sonja of Norway, I am not particularly fond of it but it will do. My understanding is that she has now put what looks like a blob of jellied cough syrup in place of the topaz. My understanding is that it is a red tourmaline. A tourmaline is a semi-precious(?) stone that seems to come in a variety of colours. Perhaps she should head off to the Persian Gulf and clean up the way the Noble Camilla has so ably done. Then we could see. Sonja in the Arab Ruby necklace Camilla brough home from her last trip there would be a hoot. Cheers.

Well, this is the Worst Jewels Thread, isn't it?????
Old 02-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I would love to see both Hilary (and especially Hilary) and Laura Bush in tiaras
Thomas, time to cut back on the chocolate. We'd like to keep the Royal Jewels Forum restricted to Royal (and noble) jewels on Royal (and noble) personages.
Think of it as a class (and caste) system. The Gotha rules, OK?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't want to see my First Lady dressed up like someone pretending to be a royal on Halloween.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels