The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #401  
Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Thomas Parkman's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 531
Dear People,

I think I had somebody try that before and it just did not work. For some strange reason these incredibly gorgeous pearls just do not work in an ensemple. The whole thing needs to be taken apart and started over. but the pearls are absolutely gorgeous. Lady K, can I drag you away from the great Halloween project that I have so evilly put into your brilliant head and put you onto this one.

The teardrops would make a lovely necklace I think, with additions for the earings. then add in some more diamonds and pearls to the round pearls for a tiara. but as it is the thing stinks to high heaven. Cheers.
__________________

__________________
  #402  
Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 AM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,619
The Westminster Pearl Tiara: Okay, that's not the worst tiara ever, but it's not the best either. It looks like someone tried to convert a necklace-not-meant-to-be-converted-into-a-tiara into a tiara. But I guess it's wearable if it's the only one you have. Who owns this one anyways (royal familywise)?
__________________

__________________
  #403  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
The Westminster Pearl Tiara... Who owns this one anyways (royal familywise)?
The Westminster Pearl Tiara is owned by the Duke of Westminster.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #404  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
The Westminster Pearl Tiara: Okay, that's not the worst tiara ever, but it's not the best either. It looks like someone tried to convert a necklace-not-meant-to-be-converted-into-a-tiara into a tiara.
Star trekking across the universe. Always going forward, 'cos we can't find reverse! Oh star trekk..........

OK. Sorry guys, I lost the plot for a moment there. But hey, what else can you say about that photo? Beam me up Scottie?

That tiara is just plain nasty. Either the pearls are so large as to be considered vulgar and tastless, or, just a thought, the stick figure model's head is way too small!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #405  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
Marg,
If you think its hideous in the pic Warren submitted as a link--wait until you see it on this link, magnified in all its gothically-ish hideous glory!

Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herz÷ge
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #406  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: newyork, United States
Posts: 479
It doesn't look so bad with the pearls drops removed from the top.
__________________
  #407  
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
iowabelle's Avatar
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Des Moines, United States
Posts: 2,405
I don't think the Westminster pearl tiara is so bad. At least none of the other girls would have one! And given a choice between the tiara and Camilla's new "breastplate", give me the tiara, please!
__________________
  #408  
Old 02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
If the spikes were removed, I would really like it, because the pearls are beautiful! And, Iowabelle-you are soooooo right--no one else has anything like it. I do think I would prefer it to Camilla's newest piece--while spectacular, it just isn't my taste. Wouldn't mind a couple of the rubies, though. Nice earrings could be made.
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #409  
Old 02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Thomas Parkman's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Columbia, United States
Posts: 531
Given the condition ??? or should I say the display of the ahem bosoms of the Camilla of the interesting Past in the massive Arab ruby diamond ruby neck scarf, how could anybody call that contraption a breastplate. sorry but I must stop here. My evil and perverted mind is beginning to consider the various possibilities those words imply. A royal doulton plate of finest china, bedecked with rubies, hmmmm.

As for the pearl thing, as a button tiara it is an incredible bore. they need to take the thing apart and start over. Maybe some nice earings and a necklace or two and forget the tiara idea or go out and get some more pearls and start over.
__________________
  #410  
Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
iowabelle's Avatar
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Des Moines, United States
Posts: 2,405
I think Thomas Parkman and I disagree about the ruby necklace and the pearl tiara. And I still think that ruby and diamond necklace recently sported by Camilla looks like a piece of armor!
__________________
  #411  
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
While I tend to agree that the majority of button tiaras are a bit, well, lacking in panache, given what the pearl tiara looks like now, it has the potential to be an improvement. I think, if properly done, those spikes could become a fairly decent looking necklace, and possibly some earrings could happen, also. While I am one who generally hates the idea of dismantling historic pieces--if theyr'e ugly I can look the other way once in a while!

As for Camilla's necklace--one has to admit that it is something! All those diamonds, all those rubies--truly a fortune in gems. That being said, Camilla rarely errs when it comes to her jewelry (her hats, sometimes) so I will admit that it is not my favorite piece that she wears. I prefer her in emeralds. But, she's a brave one to wear that necklace. I'm a strand of pearls girl myself--less is more--but then again, I don't have the Queen's vaults to rummage through, either.

And Thomas, really, you have such a wicked imagination!
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #412  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 AM
sara1981's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: North Little Rock, United States
Posts: 3,448
im really like Westminster pearl tiara because looks good tiara like CP Maxima's wedding tiara not same almost!

what you saying about Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall's breastplate! but Camilla's ruby necklace looks HUGE! i cant image!
__________________
  #413  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 AM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,619
Nice call about Camilla's Ruby "Breastplate"! I'm a little confused as to whether it's considered C's personal jewelry and therefore can be passed on to her children, or if it's considered a gift from a head of state and therefore on loan from the Crown. If it's a loaner and reverts back to the Crown after Charles death, I'm hoping William's wife breaks that thing up!

As for the Westminster Pearl Tiara, if you look farther down on the link provided, you can see it in it's case with the spikes resting below the base. You could very easily picture it as a necklace! And it's much nicer that way. Love the Star Trek reference though! LOL!
__________________
  #414  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
I think that the "breastplate" was a gift to the crown (don't quote me) and that Camilla has the use of it until she dies. I think I remember reading something to that effect before, but I have no doubt that Warren or Elspeth can clear it up for us.
Sara, it appears that you and I are in the minority about Maxima's tiara--I love it because it is both historic and whimsical. Now, when Maxima is around 45, she'll look silly in it, but for now, she looks lovely. But, I don't see where there are any similarities between the Westminster Pearl Tiara and Maxima's Wedding Tiara, other than the upright feature.
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #415  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
Nice call about Camilla's Ruby "Breastplate"! I'm a little confused as to whether it's considered C's personal jewelry and therefore can be passed on to her children, or if it's considered a gift from a head of state and therefore on loan from the Crown.
You're not the only one to wonder. At first, Clarence House stated it was a private gift from a Saudi Arabian prince (which is not unusual for members of the royal family) during their state visit. Later, when the newspapers started to question whether The Duchess had paid duty on it, the story was changed to the ruby necklace being a gift to the Crown and therefore, not subject to taxes.

It probably was a personal gift, but The Duchess certainly can request the piece be designated as part of the royal collection for future queens to wear, assuming The Queen agreed.
__________________
  #416  
Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Well, considering that Camilla isn't likely to be in the position where she needs to flog that necklace because she's short of a few bob, and considering that she isn't likely to leave something that big and showy to her own children, especially since it was given to her in her capacity as Charles's wife, I don't know why they didn't just characterise it as an official gift to the Crown from the start and avoid all this confusion. Someone at Clarence House really isn't quite on the ball with some of these decisions.
__________________
  #417  
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
iowabelle's Avatar
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Des Moines, United States
Posts: 2,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
It probably was a personal gift, but The Duchess certainly can request the piece be designated as part of the royal collection for future queens to wear, assuming The Queen agreed.
Let's hope they have it re-designed before blessing some unfortunate girl with it in the future.
__________________
  #418  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, considering that Camilla isn't likely to be in the position where she needs to flog that necklace because she's short of a few bob, and considering that she isn't likely to leave something that big and showy to her own children, especially since it was given to her in her capacity as Charles's wife, I don't know why they didn't just characterise it as an official gift to the Crown from the start and avoid all this confusion. Someone at Clarence House really isn't quite on the ball with some of these decisions.
Because there is no such thing as an "official gift" unless it is presented to The Sovereign in their capacity as Head of State. The last gift received in this manner was the Aquamarine Parure from the State of Brazil in honour of Her Majesty's Coronation in 1953, although The Queen probably has specified in her Will many other gifts she received during her reign as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it.

All other gifts of jewelry to members of the royal family are their personal property to do as they wish. So, it's not a good idea to try and snow the public on that one.
__________________
  #419  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,897
Well, really - if a gift is extravagant enough, it could bankrupt the recipient in import duty. I mean, even Charles and Camilla might not be able to come up with the sort of cash it'd take to make the spoils of a Middle Eastern tour legal. And if they're on that tour representing the Queen, then the gifts they're receiving aren't really just personal gifts; they're gifts to the royals because they're royal.
__________________
  #420  
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: san francisco, United States
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Given the condition ??? or should I say the display of the ahem bosoms of the Camilla of the interesting Past in the massive Arab ruby diamond ruby neck scarf, how could anybody call that contraption a breastplate. sorry but I must stop here. My evil and perverted mind is beginning to consider the various possibilities those words imply. A royal doulton plate of finest china, bedecked with rubies, hmmmm.

As for the pearl thing, as a button tiara it is an incredible bore. they need to take the thing apart and start over. Maybe some nice earings and a necklace or two and forget the tiara idea or go out and get some more pearls and start over.
I've come to the conclusion that pearls really just don't belong in a tiara, period. Why? They just don't go..maybe because those pearls, all lined up next to one another, more than vaguely resemble a big set of teeth. Worn on someone's head! Ugh.
Nothing should upstage the wearer's <real> smile, I say!
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worst Royal Jewels 2 Marengo Royal Jewels General Discussion 420 03-13-2013 12:55 AM
Worst Royal Haircuts & Hairdos crisi˝aki Royal Style File 159 01-15-2012 04:36 AM
Worst hat worn by a royal LaMinka Royal Style File 140 03-12-2008 11:30 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pieter van vollenhoven poland pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]