The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Dear People,

I think I had somebody try that before and it just did not work. For some strange reason these incredibly gorgeous pearls just do not work in an ensemple. The whole thing needs to be taken apart and started over. but the pearls are absolutely gorgeous. Lady K, can I drag you away from the great Halloween project that I have so evilly put into your brilliant head and put you onto this one.

The teardrops would make a lovely necklace I think, with additions for the earings. then add in some more diamonds and pearls to the round pearls for a tiara. but as it is the thing stinks to high heaven. Cheers.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Royal Highness

The Westminster Pearl Tiara: Okay, that's not the worst tiara ever, but it's not the best either. It looks like someone tried to convert a necklace-not-meant-to-be-converted-into-a-tiara into a tiara. But I guess it's wearable if it's the only one you have. Who owns this one anyways (royal familywise)?

Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
The Westminster Pearl Tiara... Who owns this one anyways (royal familywise)?
The Westminster Pearl Tiara is owned by the Duke of Westminster.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Westminster Pearl Tiara: Okay, that's not the worst tiara ever, but it's not the best either. It looks like someone tried to convert a necklace-not-meant-to-be-converted-into-a-tiara into a tiara.
Star trekking across the universe. Always going forward, 'cos we can't find reverse! Oh star trekk..........

OK. Sorry guys, I lost the plot for a moment there. But hey, what else can you say about that photo? Beam me up Scottie?

That tiara is just plain nasty. Either the pearls are so large as to be considered vulgar and tastless, or, just a thought, the stick figure model's head is way too small!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Royal Highness

Marg,
If you think its hideous in the pic Warren submitted as a link--wait until you see it on this link, magnified in all its gothically-ish hideous glory!

Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herz÷ge

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Nobility

It doesn't look so bad with the pearls drops removed from the top.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I don't think the Westminster pearl tiara is so bad. At least none of the other girls would have one! And given a choice between the tiara and Camilla's new "breastplate", give me the tiara, please!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Royal Highness

If the spikes were removed, I would really like it, because the pearls are beautiful! And, Iowabelle-you are soooooo right--no one else has anything like it. I do think I would prefer it to Camilla's newest piece--while spectacular, it just isn't my taste. Wouldn't mind a couple of the rubies, though. Nice earrings could be made.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Given the condition ??? or should I say the display of the ahem bosoms of the Camilla of the interesting Past in the massive Arab ruby diamond ruby neck scarf, how could anybody call that contraption a breastplate. sorry but I must stop here. My evil and perverted mind is beginning to consider the various possibilities those words imply. A royal doulton plate of finest china, bedecked with rubies, hmmmm.

As for the pearl thing, as a button tiara it is an incredible bore. they need to take the thing apart and start over. Maybe some nice earings and a necklace or two and forget the tiara idea or go out and get some more pearls and start over.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Royal Highness

I think Thomas Parkman and I disagree about the ruby necklace and the pearl tiara. And I still think that ruby and diamond necklace recently sported by Camilla looks like a piece of armor!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Royal Highness

While I tend to agree that the majority of button tiaras are a bit, well, lacking in panache, given what the pearl tiara looks like now, it has the potential to be an improvement. I think, if properly done, those spikes could become a fairly decent looking necklace, and possibly some earrings could happen, also. While I am one who generally hates the idea of dismantling historic pieces--if theyr'e ugly I can look the other way once in a while!

As for Camilla's necklace--one has to admit that it is something! All those diamonds, all those rubies--truly a fortune in gems. That being said, Camilla rarely errs when it comes to her jewelry (her hats, sometimes) so I will admit that it is not my favorite piece that she wears. I prefer her in emeralds. But, she's a brave one to wear that necklace. I'm a strand of pearls girl myself--less is more--but then again, I don't have the Queen's vaults to rummage through, either.

And Thomas, really, you have such a wicked imagination!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 AM
Heir Apparent

im really like Westminster pearl tiara because looks good tiara like CP Maxima's wedding tiara not same almost!

what you saying about Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall's breastplate! but Camilla's ruby necklace looks HUGE! i cant image!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Royal Highness

Nice call about Camilla's Ruby "Breastplate"! I'm a little confused as to whether it's considered C's personal jewelry and therefore can be passed on to her children, or if it's considered a gift from a head of state and therefore on loan from the Crown. If it's a loaner and reverts back to the Crown after Charles death, I'm hoping William's wife breaks that thing up!

As for the Westminster Pearl Tiara, if you look farther down on the link provided, you can see it in it's case with the spikes resting below the base. You could very easily picture it as a necklace! And it's much nicer that way. Love the Star Trek reference though! LOL!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

I think that the "breastplate" was a gift to the crown (don't quote me) and that Camilla has the use of it until she dies. I think I remember reading something to that effect before, but I have no doubt that Warren or Elspeth can clear it up for us.
Sara, it appears that you and I are in the minority about Maxima's tiara--I love it because it is both historic and whimsical. Now, when Maxima is around 45, she'll look silly in it, but for now, she looks lovely. But, I don't see where there are any similarities between the Westminster Pearl Tiara and Maxima's Wedding Tiara, other than the upright feature.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Nice call about Camilla's Ruby "Breastplate"! I'm a little confused as to whether it's considered C's personal jewelry and therefore can be passed on to her children, or if it's considered a gift from a head of state and therefore on loan from the Crown.
You're not the only one to wonder. At first, Clarence House stated it was a private gift from a Saudi Arabian prince (which is not unusual for members of the royal family) during their state visit. Later, when the newspapers started to question whether The Duchess had paid duty on it, the story was changed to the ruby necklace being a gift to the Crown and therefore, not subject to taxes.

It probably was a personal gift, but The Duchess certainly can request the piece be designated as part of the royal collection for future queens to wear, assuming The Queen agreed.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, considering that Camilla isn't likely to be in the position where she needs to flog that necklace because she's short of a few bob, and considering that she isn't likely to leave something that big and showy to her own children, especially since it was given to her in her capacity as Charles's wife, I don't know why they didn't just characterise it as an official gift to the Crown from the start and avoid all this confusion. Someone at Clarence House really isn't quite on the ball with some of these decisions.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
It probably was a personal gift, but The Duchess certainly can request the piece be designated as part of the royal collection for future queens to wear, assuming The Queen agreed.
Let's hope they have it re-designed before blessing some unfortunate girl with it in the future.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, considering that Camilla isn't likely to be in the position where she needs to flog that necklace because she's short of a few bob, and considering that she isn't likely to leave something that big and showy to her own children, especially since it was given to her in her capacity as Charles's wife, I don't know why they didn't just characterise it as an official gift to the Crown from the start and avoid all this confusion. Someone at Clarence House really isn't quite on the ball with some of these decisions.
Because there is no such thing as an "official gift" unless it is presented to The Sovereign in their capacity as Head of State. The last gift received in this manner was the Aquamarine Parure from the State of Brazil in honour of Her Majesty's Coronation in 1953, although The Queen probably has specified in her Will many other gifts she received during her reign as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it.

All other gifts of jewelry to members of the royal family are their personal property to do as they wish. So, it's not a good idea to try and snow the public on that one.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, really - if a gift is extravagant enough, it could bankrupt the recipient in import duty. I mean, even Charles and Camilla might not be able to come up with the sort of cash it'd take to make the spoils of a Middle Eastern tour legal. And if they're on that tour representing the Queen, then the gifts they're receiving aren't really just personal gifts; they're gifts to the royals because they're royal.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Given the condition ??? or should I say the display of the ahem bosoms of the Camilla of the interesting Past in the massive Arab ruby diamond ruby neck scarf, how could anybody call that contraption a breastplate. sorry but I must stop here. My evil and perverted mind is beginning to consider the various possibilities those words imply. A royal doulton plate of finest china, bedecked with rubies, hmmmm.

As for the pearl thing, as a button tiara it is an incredible bore. they need to take the thing apart and start over. Maybe some nice earings and a necklace or two and forget the tiara idea or go out and get some more pearls and start over.
I've come to the conclusion that pearls really just don't belong in a tiara, period. Why? They just don't go..maybe because those pearls, all lined up next to one another, more than vaguely resemble a big set of teeth. Worn on someone's head! Ugh.
Nothing should upstage the wearer's <real> smile, I say!

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels