The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Royal Highness

Nice job, Lady K! I like having the list to refer back to, and Sophie's wedding necklace belongs at the top of the list! UGH!

Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
I honestly don't think that Rania purchased this piece. I think it was a loan from Boucheron. IMTS, how many times has she worn it? Only the once I think!
She has worn it once to an actual event, Swedish state visit in 2003 and once for a Vanity Fair portrait around the same time. I dont think it belongs to the Queen either. The tiara was on the Boucheron website long after the state visit, which makes me think it was a loan. Unless ofcourse we see her wearing the tiara again which would prove that it belongs to her.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Commoner

I like Queen Sonja's modern set,especially the tiara. It is original and provides a warmth we don't often seen. I have seen photos where the stone was changed,and which I liked equally. As for Princess Madeleine's acquamarine tiara-it is lovely and unusual,but far better suited to a short hair style. In fact it is rather 20's.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy
Well I saw this necklace and I believe it's right up there with the "street light dog collar" in the Thurn and Taxis collection, seen here Smaragd-Rubin-Diamant Halsband der Fürsten von Thurn und Taxis. Poor Princess Lilan had the wear the hanging street light necklace. Such a pretty tiara (but with a better hairstyle) but such a waste of good jewels on this necklace.

It's the first picture, you can't miss it.
lilian
The Von Turn And Taxis choker has the magnitude of presence.
That is an Indian "rani har"{sometimes worn at weddings} and does look incongruous with the Western jewellery.However the tiara is stunning and I find Princess Lilian a great beauty
Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Commoner

The last word is that many of the tiaras were made and worn in a different era with different tastes and very different hair styles. I agree that some of the modern pieces are hideous. QMII's poppies are beautiful if worn with less profusion,but I think QEII needs a better,less stodgy designer to judge by the ruby and acquamarine tiaras.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Serene Highness

• Quote:
      • Queen Alia's Diamond Tiara (the tiara most often worn by Queen Rania, it is actually called Queen Alia's tiara, and belongs to Princess Haya)
      • Sarah, Duchess of York's tiara
      • Queen Elizabeth II's Australian Opal Necklace
      • QEII's Burmese Ruby Tiara
      • QEII's Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara
I have to disagree with these ones. I find all but the Australian Opal very attractive. The opal is a real "Statement Piece" which I think HM should look at resetting into a brooch with a simple platinum setting with perhaps 3 or 4 small diamonds top & bottom. It very much reflected the times in which it was made (1950's) and, just perhaps, someone like Zara or Beatrice might carry it off as it is.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Royal Highness

While this may not be considered a "royal" jewel, I can no longer restrain myself from including the OTHER Spencer family diamond tiara. I think it is a horrible design. It has some kind of Greek key motif as the base design, and then swaggy plumes or something above Since the Spencers have a lot of historical royal connections (including a certain Princess!) I thought we could add it in here.

The link--it is on a red cushion underneath a black and white portrait of Diana wearing the Lover's Knot Tiara.
Tbt: The real Princess diaries

By the way, THANK GOD the Spencers had the other tiara, or Diana may not have had a decent one to wear! Can you imagine those beautiful wedding pictures with THIS monstrosity on her head? Not quite fairy tale material, huh?

Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 02-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
I've summed up some of the worst: Over 38 awful pieces of jewellery!
Happily the royals ignore us completely otherwise there was almost no any diademe left to be worn....
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
Happily the royals ignore us completely otherwise there was almost no any diademe left to be worn....
Hahaha

I think a lot of them are worse than others, and some of them are just worn wrong, or worn on the wrong people. Others just need to be melted down and redone. (read: Margrethe's poppies)

Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with some people: some of the jewels on the list are not that bad.

Here's my personal not-that-bad list:
Swedish Napoleonic Steel-cut tiara (It's actually really pretty- if you look at the detailing)
Queen Rania's Emerald Boucheron Tiara (it was gorgeous, just not on Rania. I would love to see it on Mathilde, actually. I think it would be stunning. I'll have to see if I can find a good image to photoshop....PM me if you have one...)
Queen Alia's Diamond Tiara (I'm not 100% sure why this was on this list- it's a lovely tiara)
Queen Alexandrine's Diamond Drop Tiara (I just think Princess Alexandra wears it poorly. If you look at the pictures of Margrethe wearing it, it is really pretty)
Queen Sofia's Niarchos Ruby Tiara- I think I am the only person who likes it- it is really pretty. However, it is just not enough tiara for someone as regal as Sofia. I wonder what it would be like on Cristina (or Elena, with the right hairdo)?
Princess Maxima's Diamond Stars Tiara- another I was surprised about. So many people seem to like it! It is just so nice for Maxima, and I think it suits her.
Dutch Sunray Tiara- Again, I like it. It is such an improvement from the tiara that it used to be. I love the delicacy of it, and the lack of a heavy base is nice- it doesn't need it.

However, there are some that are just Bad:
The Swedish Jeep Tiaras- I know they have some historical provinence, but they're still just ugly. Maybe if they were reset so they wouldn't look so much like headlights?
Princess Victoria's First tiara- It is just wrong for a woman who is the Crown Princess, the future Queen, to be given a tiara that looks like the jeweller forgot to put the jewels in the prongs!!!
Swedish Cameo Tiara- It looks good on nobody. Combine it with a flat hairdo and have it ill-fitting, and it looks horrible. I have never seen it done well, and I'm not sure I ever will. Re"set it or forget it!"
Queen Sonja's modern Ruby Tiara: send it back to a galaxy far, far away.

And the worst of the worst, the one that just needs to melt down and make into something new:
Queen Margrethe's Golden Poppies!
(it looks like a brain wave torture machine!)(AAAAHHHHHHHH!)

Old 02-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Courtier

I think the worst royal jewels, is the tiara Princess Maxima used in here wedding. Awful!!!! The tiara look so fake...
Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atene
I think the worst royal jewels, is the tiara Princess Maxima used in here wedding. Awful!!!! The tiara look so fake...
It did glitz and glam anyway. There are two sets of diamond stars stars, which were very en vogue around 1850-1880 (think about Sissi's diamond stars).

One set of 6 diamond stars came from Princess Amalia da Gloria Augusta of the Netherlands, Princess of Sachsen-Weimar und Eisenach (1830-1872).

Another set of 6 diamond stars came from Princess Marie zu Wied, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1841-1910).

Both sets of stars (I don't know which one Princess Máxima used) are at least 140-150 years old and are definitely no plastic.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
... and are definitely no plastic.
Fake doesn't necessarily imply plastic.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 02-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Courtier

Dear Members,

You must understand that we have all missed the boat on this one. Can you imagine, just a moment, all the gorgeous and not so gorgeous ladies of sufficient rank-38 of them-at the Halloween Party to end all Halloween Parties. Each bedecked in one of these monstrous or maybe not so monstrous horrors. They could do it for charity and save the lives of thousands of the poor starving whereever.

I do not care what anybody says but that Thurm and Taxis number with the Wurtemburg State Fair Ruby Horror would just take the cake. We need to get the Lady K, strictly for laughs to start putting all of this together. Perhaps doll Gloria up not only in that ghastly necklace she has on but plot the WSFRH on top of her very very clever little German head and see the results.
Even worse add a few of Queen MIIs poppies to the mix.

One can only hope the Current Prince has inherited her brains and his fathers good luck (given Papa T and Ts extracurricular interests)in finding just the right woman. Objectivity in these matters does not hurt and seems to be the last thing on earth that most men ever think about. Cheers.

Lady K, where are you when we need you. Perhaps you should undertake a massive photoshopping orgy along these lines ...
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
Dear Members, You must understand that we have all missed the boat on this one...
TP you really do have some evil thoughts!
Just to stir the pot a bit I have a little suggestion...... perhaps the Countess of Fredricksborg (Alexandra) should return the Diamond Drop Tiara and take the glorious poppies instead. She is obviously not going to have much need for a head ornament when accompanying the "Toy Boy" so she would have the monetary value without depriving us of a lovely piece of jewellery.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, now, that's just cruel.

It'll be the last time a Danish royal lady gets divorced, I should think, if those things are the consolation prize.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Courtier

Ah dear members, what is the old saying:

The only difference between men and boys is that men have the more expensive toys. At least The Princess A's toy is pretty, which definately cannot be said about the horrors cited above. Of course the divine Mary and the magnificent Frederick are so magnificent that they could never part. That would be a total catastrophe. Cheers.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

I was just on a lovely website about the Orange Nassau jewels
http://members.lycos.nl/oranjenassau/index.htm

and I have to say that my opinion about Maxima's wedding tiara (with the stars) has changed. Maybe its because I just really like Maxima but I like this tiara. Yes, we can say it looks like a fireworks explosion on her head, that's true. But, it is whimsical and a touch romantic. Is it my favorite? Not at all, but I don't think it is one of the worst. Again, I am reiterating my opinon of worst designed tiara to be the second Spencer tiara and also the Westminster pearl tiara (I mean come on, even the lady dressed all in white doesn't look happy to have it on). If the teardrop spikes weren't used, it would resemble a button tiara, but it would be quite attractive as compared to how it looks now--
here's a link:
Westminster-Grosvenor Pearl Drop Tiara | Orientperlen Tropfen aus der Schatzkammer der Herzöge

Janet

Old 02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Serene Highness

Re Westminster Pearl Tiara

Perhaps if the teardrop elements were turned upside down it would look better?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Royal Highness

Wymanda,
I think you're on to something there! It would be a dramatic improvement at the very least!

Closed Thread

Tags
jewellery, worst jewels